Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudie

Reaction score
You need to stop teasing us and post the dang recipe. :p:p

My Shepherd's Pie is just that - my version of the classic savory pie. There are hundreds of recipes, British, Irish, and Scottish versions, and each has its own tweaks. Shepherd's Pie is always made with lamb (ground or chunks), but if you're not a fan of lamb, you can make it with beef or turkey. Technically, though, if it's not made with lamb or a combination of beef and lamb, it's actually called Cottage Pie.

This recipe is probably closest to my version, and I substitute beer for the beef or chicken stock :D I also top the potatoes with shredded Irish cheddar cheese and a few dots of butter for browning. Bon Appetit!

Shepherd's Pie

My Shepherd's Pie is just that - my version of the classic savory pie. There are hundreds of recipes, British, Irish, and Scottish versions, and each has its own tweaks. Shepherd's Pie is always made with lamb (ground or chunks), but if you're not a fan of lamb, you can make it with beef or turkey. Technically, though, if it's not made with lamb or a combination of beef and lamb, it's actually called Cottage Pie.

This recipe is probably closest to my version, and I substitute beer for the beef or chicken stock :D

Shepherd's Pie

I made cottage pie about 3 weeks ago, comfort food.

This recipe is probably closest to my version, and I substitute beer for the beef or chicken stock :D I also top the potatoes with shredded Irish cheddar cheese and a few dots of butter for browning. Bon Appetit!

Shepherd's Pie

This sounds so delicious right now. Unfortunately, I haven't found any ground meat in my stores for 3 weeks. Although it's been 2 weeks since I last went out, I have been trying to get delivery or a curbside pick up order and every time the meat is sold out. I'm hoping I find some meat tomorrow. We'll make a pie with lamb, bison or elk if the stores have those instead of beef. I've used venison in a pie in the past too.

In case I can't find any meat, does anyone have a tried and true vegetarian cottage/shepherd's pie recipe? I have potatoes and frozen veggies. Should I just make a gravy for the veggies and bake with mashed potatoes on top?

This thread is going to be great for getting meal inspiration.

I just made my pandemic white chili. It's a bit spicy but not bad. I bought and substituted from memory.

9.75 oz can chunk chicken
10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis
Splash of salsa verde
I had to buy a 15 oz can of mixed beans seasoned with pork (pinto and northern). It was literally all they had
2 cans chicken broth

Heat it up. Different. Not bad.

...In case I can't find any meat, does anyone have a tried and true vegetarian cottage/shepherd's pie recipe? I have potatoes and frozen veggies. Should I just make a gravy for the veggies and bake with mashed potatoes on top?

This thread is going to be great for getting meal inspiration.

I think you could easily make a veggie shepherd's pie with a mix of frozen vegetables and mashed potatoes on top. Make a roux with butter and flour, add enough stock to make gravy and add to the vegetables. Spread the vegetables and gravy in a baking dish, spread the mashed potatoes over the veggies, top with shredded cheese and bake until bubbly and browned on top. Makes me hungry just thinking about it!

Lots of vegetarian/vegan shepherd's pie recipes. Here's one that looks like what you're describing, Gardener1850. I'm sure yours will be delicious :) Let us know how it turns out.

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie - Pinch of Yum

Last edited:
This is a simple and easy recipe that is amazingly good. I've used the sauce for other things as well, stir fries, etc.

Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls | The Recipe Critic
I just made this and it is fantastic!
Sent it to my family to make, it was that easy and flavorful.
On top I added steamed broccoli, roasted carrots, and fresh cilantro. Just because they were getting old.
Do yourself a favor and try it.

Round the World. International night with the wife and two adult daughters. We each got a room and made an app and drink from a country. France, Italy, China, and Mexico were represented. After week homebound, none of us were particularly fond of each other.

However- it went well. 1st stop China (Angela-25): take out Chinese, white wine. On to France (me) for Brie and prosciutto crepes, Bourgogne Pinot Noir. Next stop Italy (Liv-20) with Mozzarella tomato basil skewers, Italian white. Ended in Mexico (Mrs.), bean salsa dip and coconut Margaritas.

We ended up happy and a bit drunk.

Now, we are trying to make a nice dinner every day for something to look forward to.

Attachments

• dinner2.jpg
    dinner2.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics