Remains Found in Area After LE/SAR Searches

Allyson Watterson

Timeline: Disappearance and search for Oregon woman Allyson Watterson

Dec. 24: First day of the search for Allyson.
Dec. 25: Second day of the search for Allyson.
Dec. 26, morning: The search area expands with nearly 100 people looking for Allyson, including volunteer searchers.
Dec. 26, late afternoon: Washington County Sheriff’s Office search and rescue coordinator Tony Morris says searchers found “interesting items and clues.” He doesn’t specify what the clues are. He says the search on Friday will be refocused on a concentrated area that has already been scoured. Only trained personnel will be part of that search.
Dec. 27, morning: The search enters its fourth day with search and rescue teams from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office, Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office and Columbia County Sheriff’s Office helping.
Dec. 28: After an all day effort with between 75 and 100 trained searchers, the sheriff's office calls off an official search. Even though an active search has been called off, the investigation into her disappearance continues, said Detective Mark Povolny.
Dec. 28: Despite the search being called off her mother Misty says “Allyson, I will never stop looking for you. I would like to ask everyone else not to stop looking either. She is a very special girl and she deserves to be looked for.”
Jan. 3: A group of about 25 family members and friends of the Watterson family set out in search of any clue into Allyson's disappearance.

Body of Allyson Watterson found in North Plains, sheriff's office says

Found Deceased - OR - Allyson Joy Watterson, 20, North Plains, 22 Dec 2019

Last edited:
Rest in peace, Mr. Bozarth.

Body found at motel demolition site in southern Illinois
Jun 8, 2021

SBM
  • the body was found Tuesday at the Motel Marion demolition site.
UPDATE: Body found at Marion motel demolition site has been identified
Jun 11, 2021

SBBM
  • identified the body found at the Motel Marion demolition site as 51-year-old Marion resident Russell Bozarth.
  • Bozarth had been missing since December... Police had previously searched the property for Bozarth four or five times since he was reported missing, Marion Police Chief David Fitts told the Southern Illinoisan, even using specially trained dogs.

Very interesting...for more information, it seems like the searches had all taken place before the old motel was demolished, and the remains were only found a week after demolition happened. For reference, this is what the Motel Marion looked like (as of 2018). It is shaped like a '3' so it's about twice the size as shown here. I can see how it would be an appealing abandoned place to hide out/live out of. I am wondering how the body how be missed i.e. I'm sure the rooms were pretty barebone with just a main room + bathroom, is it possible that each room wasn't searched? And the dogs weren't taken into each room? I know it's embarrassing/not 'reportable' news but I wish LE would debrief and explain how this could have potentially occurred so other SAR groups can learn from this.

upload_2021-8-3_21-6-13.png

Thank you for starting this. This will be a good resource. Hopefully as we follow cases we can add them here when the info is fresh and then we can include specifics to make the comments even more useful w/out reading an entire thread. Things I would find helpful would be: date missing vs. date found, types of searches (who and for how long), where found and how.

Additionally, I will add a case I followed, Marilane Carter. Searchers looked for her for some time around the area her phone pinged last. She was reported missing from August 1st till August 18th when she was found inside her car which was completely inside a shipping container in an area previously searched. She was found by a relative.
Found Deceased - KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Bringing over another found victim posted earlier in Jason's thread:

We have another victim located where earlier search efforts were exhausted: The car belonging to 84-year-old Nadine Moses was recovered from the St. Clair River (MI) on Saturday (body inside vehicle believed to be NM). Nadine was missing since May 4, 2021.

The wreckage was discovered on Saturday, 9/25 by search volunteers from Adventures with Purpose of OR-- using marine sonar. It's believed that a barge may have smashed/compressed the submerged vehicle and why marine patrols did not locate the crash earlier.

MI - MI - Nadine Vera Moses, 84, @2:30am tidied up & left home in '11 Ford Edge, Casco, 4 May 2021

Adding another person to this list. One I followed and never dreamt this would be the case. Jake Cefolia. Recently skeleton remains were found hanging from a low tree in the reserve near where his car was found. Identified through dental records.

100 volunteers and K9 units searched -

IL - IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

ETA- This article states the reserve was searched at least 10 times before he was discovered. Jake Cefolia disappearance: Remains found at suburban forest preserve identified as missing United executive
Through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, FOX 32 learned in August that investigators have searched Waterfall Glen at least 10 times since Cefolia disappeared.

Last edited:
Another young man missing for 2 years and located near the intersection of Barfield Crescent Road and Morton Road-- nearby searched, sighted, and phone ping.

Rutherford County Sheriff's Office

Nov 14, 2019

The investigation started the day his family reported Bond missing (March 30, 2017) when K-9s searched the area around Bond’s home. The following day, K-9s conducted additional searches while an unmanned aerial vehicle and a helicopter with infra-red cameras conducted an aerial search off Barfield-Crescent Road.

A few days later, detectives received a tip Bond was seen about 4 a.m. March 31 on Barfield Crescent Road. A K-9 and handler searched the area but the search dog did not indicate Bond’s presence.

Pinson received Bond’s cell phone records, which showed that the last contact with the cellular network occurred at 4:56 a.m. on the day he disappeared. No precise location was given in the phone records, but they showed that the phone was in the area of Barfield-Crescent Road at last contact. In the following weeks, teams of citizens and detectives each searched the Barfield-Crescent Road area.

Devin Bond: Autopsy results of missing Murfreesboro teen released

Found Deceased - TN - Devin Bond, 16, Murfreesboro, 30 March 2017

MSU Police: Tip From Private Investigator Led To Discovery Of Body Believed To Be Brendan Santo

1/22/22

(CBS Detroit) — In an update on Saturday, Michigan State University police said a private investigator working with Brendan Santo’s family notified them of what is believed to be Santo’s body located in the Red Cedar River after reviewing underwater video.

The 18-year-old Grand Valley State University student had been missing since Oct. 29, 2021, and was at MSU visiting friends. A body was found at about 12:30 p.m., on Jan. 21, approximately 1.5 miles from where Santo was last seen.

11/1/21 First responders search by foot, drones, boats looking for student missing from MSU campus

Found Deceased - MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021 *Reward*

Last edited:
I was shocked to see this one. I had seen a tv program about this disappearance and also listened to the Unsolved Mysteries podcast, which updated on my phone recently.

Found Deceased - TX - Kimberly Flint, 57, Laneville, 26 Sept 2018
YEAR LATER: Search continues for Kimberly Flint | cbs19.tv
The sheriff's office conducted three different searches and used a forensic hypnotist to follow a lead, but all of their leads have dried up.
Texas mother Kimberly Flint still missing after 12 days
The following day, Corbett says the search efforts grew to include search dogs and horses, and expanded foot searches. Sheriff Price told Dateline police have conducted multiple dog searches, river searches since Kimberly’s disappearance and that they have searched her car for clues.
1 Year Later: Kimberly Flint still missing from Rusk County
Three search teams, including dogs and A.T.V.’s looked for Flint for days; no sign of her was ever found.

Remains of missing Rusk County woman found in woods
Her remains were found almost a mile away from where her car was wrecked.

Here's a map, going from the bridge over Angelina River (crash site) to mid-way down Richey Lane. All they've said is a 'wooded area on personal property on Richey Ln' so I don't know exactly which area it would be. Disregard Google's estimated distance because that's following the road.
upload_2022-3-3_11-39-47.png

YEAR LATER: Search continues for Kimberly Flint | cbs19.tv
The sheriff's office conducted three different searches and used a forensic hypnotist to follow a lead, but all of their leads have dried up.
Texas mother Kimberly Flint still missing after 12 days
The following day, Corbett says the search efforts grew to include search dogs and horses, and expanded foot searches. Sheriff Price told Dateline police have conducted multiple dog searches, river searches since Kimberly’s disappearance and that they have searched her car for clues.
1 Year Later: Kimberly Flint still missing from Rusk County
Three search teams, including dogs and A.T.V.’s looked for Flint for days; no sign of her was ever found.

Remains of missing Rusk County woman found in woods
Her remains were found almost a mile away from where her car was wrecked.

Here's a map, going from the bridge over Angelina River (crash site) to mid-way down Richey Lane. All they've said is a 'wooded area on personal property on Richey Ln' so I don't know exactly which area it would be. Disregard Google's estimated distance because that's following the road.
View attachment 335474

It is just shocking to me that she was not found until now. I still wonder about foul play in some of these cases. Did they wander and hide while being in a paranoid or delusional state? Were they placed and hidden here by a perpetrator or even worse, brought back at a later date and place there? I have so many questions.

Found Deceased - WV - Georgia 'Malinda' Stone, 56, Fayette County, 5 Dec 2016
Georgia Stone, 56, disappeared from her Sanger Road residence in Dec 2016. She may have been dealing with an emotional crisis at the time.
A man who regularly hunted in the Sanger Road area climbed into his tree stand to watch for deer during the second weekend of October, 2019. When he got down from the stand, he discovered human remains and alerted authorities. This tree stand was in a wooded area near her house. “Where she was located wasn’t far from the area she went missing,” Fridley said Wednesday. “It’s kind of ironic; we’ve been looking all this time."

*COD has still not been publicly released*

Ashanti Conde was last seen in 2018 riding with Michael Conley in his vehicle. His remains were located above Dugan Falls. His car was found off the roadway in a foot of snow. In Sep'21, "the Skamania County Sheriff’s Office, along with Clark County Search & Rescue, searched near the vehicle’s crash site again, discovering remains in an area described as “very rugged, and steep.” The remains were later identified as Ashanti Conde.

Found Deceased - WA - Ashanti Conde, 27, Brush Prarie, 22 Feb 2018

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347