Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.

Nurmi has made some follies, especially when it comes to this computer stuff, but I can't see him deliberately doing something like that. It doesn't make sense that he'd be like, no mirror image? What to do? Oh, I know! We'll make a fake one! Someone get Tony on the phone!

He'd just tell them there isn't one and press on.

No, this has Jodi all over it

I disagree because surely a lawyer still has a say and some integrity and decides the play. Frankly, Nurmi's play has been not only to destroy Travis but also Juan. He is not the murderer's passive victim, IMO. Even lawyers, I imagine, get a say-so in the way the defence is conducted. He's not just a helpless mouthpiece.

In fact, for all the times that Nurmi has tried to get off this case, I don't recall him ever saying that he didn't believe the murderer.

Iirc pre-WalMart, the selfies she took after the color job are time stamped before the WM receipt (2:30ish and the WM receipt 3:40something?).

So Monterey or Salinas then?

Now we're talking. Like at least set it up where the "accused" (the victim) has the ability to confront their accuser (in this case the person who took their life)
Isn't' that the prosecutors job? Short of bringing a physic or medium into the courtroom how else is the victim going to communicate?

My family needs me and I don't need any more of this today. Toodles.....

I'm pretty aware of who the attorney and who the client is. I'm not excusing any of this. Nurmi should have gotten all his facts before filing this. He shouldn't have let anyone else direct his defense. But what else is new?

All I'm saying is I don't think Nurmi has done anything deliberate. Just really, really ill-conceived. He has a habit of this.

Absolutely, I think everything Nurmi does is deliberate. There is nothing not known to him. And he is not stupid but he likes to play stupid. It's definitely worked on the judge.

By things being kept secret, nobody can determine if this delay is warranted.
It goes unchecked. It makes us wonder if the reason for the delay is sufficient enough to cancel 2 days worth of trial and why didnt they at least finish today?

Nobody will ever know.

I keep getting a sense that the judge is not taking the jurors time seriously enough.
It seems from the outside looking in that she just tosses them around like baggage.
It makes you wonder if the jury was even told the reason for the delay or if they were left in the dark like we are.

This is truly ridiculous. With late starts each day, no Fridays, and all the skipped days, it really seems to averaging about 2 days a week which is beyond ridiculous.

Before this phase started when we thought the judge would be more firm with the timeline and "no more delays", I honestly thought things may be different this time around. So far, its been worse.

If we lose more jurors, it will not be surprising because this is like torture. And with the secrecy we dont even know if there could have been some other way to resolve the issue whatever it was. Perhaps there could have been another remedy that was used in another trial.

I mainly feel for Travis family and the jurors. They are being tossed around like garbage and I dont get any sense at all that the judge even cares. We dont hear her apologizing to them like some judges do. She never apologized to them in first trial either.
I think she needs to be educated on how to treat the jurors emotions better.

Many things come to mind: problem with the building, problem in overflow room, alarm system is messed up, heating/cooling issue, etc. I'm not one to speculate ... not my 'thang.

But don't you find it amazing that it comes during the defence portion of the sentencing trial, and how it never seems to happen when the prosecution is up?

What if Defence Attrnys and Paid Witnessess could be sued for defamation of the deceased victims character?

That may reign in their lies.

Deliberately handing the wrong hard drive over to the state while playing dumb would be next level stupid. It's an embarrassment that I'm sure Nurmi would have prevented if he could have foreseen it. Should he have checked? Probably. But he was on a tight deadline and probably didn't think anything of it when it was given to him.

And Juan is setting these tight deadlines for a reason. He knows that a legit expert would have that mirror copy ready to go and dropped it off or mailed it ASAP. The very fact that Juan has to go through hoops to get it tells him and should tell the judge everything they need to know. I don't think that testimony will be allowed.

I kind of got that. That death was in the background for these two, or something like that.

Weird...
Yes, and Jodi was on the "dark side" when whenever Travis was "overly sexual". Sure. She loved every second of it.

The emergency was probably a juror that couldn't take all the over the top sex talk!

As per BK website, Travis lost his Temple Recommendation?

I may be alone in this, but IMO, Dr. Fonseca is doing exactly what she has been paid to do. The DT seemed to be short on mitigators last trial. Is her testimony and interpretations a stretch? Yes. However, I think she made some valid assessments of TA and his conflict regarding his religion and sexual relationships. Her testimony showed that CMJA was like a drug to him and he was addicted to her, despite knowing she was not marriage material or the girl for him.

JM will, of course, reframe her words on cross to give the other side of the story. Are there mitigators there? I don't know. There may well be in the minds of some jurors.

No, this is not a valid assessment. It is an opinion (also arbitrary). For it to be valid, there would be statistics, a la DeMarte's assessment of the murderer. It's actually common sense to point out that Travis struggled with his sexuality v religion. Millions of people do that. It's not an aberration.

If I was on this jury, and I heard this drivel about JA walking in on him while he was looking at lil boy pix, I would be wondering why she was still seeing him, and driving hundreds of miles to have sex with him.

An aside about JM and the trading of cars on boy photo day line of questions .

In think 99% of us were confused about the significance of all that. The jury must have been baffled too. Hope he explains it better this time around, because it matters. Says a lot about the game she was playing and explains a lot about why her story is impossible.

From what I can remember Jodi claimed she was there helping Travis put Christmas decorations away in the attic (except that is not where Travis kept them) and she saw the picture of the boy. As it turns out between her journal and texting she had been working until 5pm that day and stayed until 6pm. Travis left for his meeting at 6pm and when he returned he asked her to return his car. She said she was too tired. So she never saw him that day, at all. jmo

Where is the trial being shown on t.v or just the internet?

It's a Twitter Trial for now. Cameras are recording in court but it cannot be shown until after a verdict

#JodiArias

Nowhere. Judge ordered that the media could film but could not release the video until after the retrial. We're following mostly on twitter.

The retrial is of the sentencing phase only since there was a hung jury re: life or death. She's still guilty and still eligible for the death penalty though.

No, this is not a valid assessment. It is an opinion (also arbitrary). For it to be valid, there would be statistics, a la DeMarte's assessment of the murderer. It's actually common sense to point out that Travis struggled with his sexuality v religion. Millions of people do that. It's not an aberration.
She is getting her information from emails, texts, chats, blogs, character witnesses, which, IMO is fair.

I do believe he struggled with spirituality and sex.

Still did not deserve to die because he was conflicted.

Nowhere. Thanks to the judge ruling in defense favor to not allow live TV coverage of trial (even though allowed last phase). We are only currently allowed live tweets from reporters that are present.

Nurmi even tried to prevent ANY media and prevent public from hearing a secret witness and judge allowed that, but luckily a news site appealed to another court about that and there was a stay granted about that. So Defense skipping that person until higher court gives final ruling.

We are hoping the higher court even rules about the live TV coverage being allowed but that is iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member