Retrieving wreckage from AirAsia Flight To Singapore- no survivors recovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
for anyone not watching CNN;

their weather guy was just saying that the aircraft was at about 32k feet and requested to climb to 38k feet and divert route, but the thunderstorms in the area were as high as 52k feet so they would not have been out of their effect.

Not too sure what the ceiling level is on an Airbus, I'm only guessing here maybe 42,000 feet, no way of getting out of that weather.

Why didnt it affect the other planes too?

Not sure - other aircraft in the area would have been contacted and advised their findings. Maybe there may have been a mechanical impairment to their aircraft. Or de-icing didn't kick in.

Why didnt it affect the other planes too?

I dunno...but many things can factor into that. If a storm took this plane down it could be as simple as maybe this particular plane hit a particular bad part of the cell.

How "low cost" is a low-cost airline... that may be the problem...maybe they purchase older liners and refurbish them...? :/

Final radar track shows missing aircraft reached 36,300 ft but was only flying at 353 kts which seems low (notice the nearby Emirates flt 409 jet at 36,000 is flying at 503 kts).

B560zTBCQAEvmCX.jpg

How "low cost" is a low-cost airline... that may be the problem...maybe they purchase older liners and refurbish them...? :/

Low cost airlines are still regulated the same way. Up thread it was mentioned that this aircraft was only 6 years old. I have flown Air Asia many, many times and thought that they were excellent. Low cost carriers can have a way better balance sheet than full service carriers. I would have thought that aviators in the area may have seen some wreckage by now. Just such a tragedy.

Final radar track shows missing aircraft reached 36,300 ft but was only flying at 353 kts which seems low (notice the nearby Emirates flt 409 jet at 36,000 is flying at 503 kts).

View attachment 66393

The Emirates aircraft in the area may have been a 777 or A380 which would have different cruising speeds.

Jon Ostrower @jonostrower · 37m 37 minutes ago
A gentle reminder: Indonesia AirAsia is an Indonesian airline not Malaysian. Indonesia AirAsia is an affiliate of Malaysian AirAsia. #QZ8501

Jon Ostrower retweeted
Vinay Bhaskara @TheABVinay · 43m 43 minutes ago
@AirAsia has an impeccable safety record no fatal or even significant incidents and very few incidents period in a 18-year history #QZ8501

https://twitter.com/jonostrower

Low cost airlines are still regulated the same way. Up thread it was mentioned that this aircraft was only 6 years old. I have flown Air Asia many, many times and thought that they were excellent. Low cost carriers can have a way better balance sheet than full service carriers. I would have thought that aviators in the area may have seen some wreckage by now. Just such a tragedy.
Regarding the wreckage - it's not been confirmed by AirAsia but I saw upthread where an Aussie and a Chinese news outlet had reported wreckage - of course we don't know how reliable that info is. The plane disappeared 5 1/2 hours ago...and the area doesn't seem vast....if it was a crash I hope wreckage is spotted soon so that rescue efforts can get underway.

Regarding the wreckage - it's not been confirmed by AirAsia but I saw upthread where an Aussie and a Chinese news outlet had reported wreckage - of course we don't know how reliable that info is. The plane disappeared 5 1/2 hours ago...and the area doesn't seem vast....if it was a crash I hope wreckage is spotted soon so that rescue efforts can get underway.

I guess it depends how stormy it is .. how much the waves are crashing around, and how good current visibility is. But I hope they see something really soon. Agony for the relatives, followed by a crushing blow after that probably :(

Thanks Gypsy, not sure if that initial information was from a reliable source. I was about to google distances over that stretch - it doesn't seem vast at all. Also if it has gone down - it was day time - I would also imagine it would be a busy cargo waterway.

There was so much misinformation coming out the last time. I wish someone would confirm if this plane crashed.

there is confirmation of a crash, just not confirmation that it was this plane.
but obviously it seems likely... unfortunately.

This is the normal flight route apparently (grey line) .. according to Google.

359h3l4.jpg

(Sorry Schmae .. just saw your post .. here is the screenshot anyway)

Hmmm...weird that the plane's flight path changed.
And that apparently the pilot (I guess) asked for the new flight path.

ETA: just read that the flight path was changed due to bad weather.

If it is this plane (that has crashed), they will probably be trying to reach relatives before they announce it to the world .. I think .... wouldn't they?

From what the news is reporting (CNN is what I'm watching). The pilot asked for a route change because of rough weather in the area at that time.

Yes a 777 or A380 will have a different cruise speed but a 150 kt difference at FL360?

Hi Kevin…..I am certainly no pilot. Have been in aviation over 37 years…..my thoughts only….it could be payload. A 777 may only have 2 engines however they are high performance and can fly at high speeds. Their flight plan may have indicated that they needed to fly at that speed. If they were going into a stall they would get bells and whistles that would light up the flight deck. I just phoned one of our Chief Pilots to call me back to ask about the selected speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!