VA VA - Rhiannon "Rosie" Gordon, 10, Murdered, Fairfax, 2 July 1989

Richard

Reaction score

MISSING FAIRFAX 10-YEAR-OLD IS FOUND DEAD

July 5, 1989

Ten-year-old Rosie Gordon, the subject of an extensive search in her Lake Braddock neighborhood since her disappearance Sunday night, was found dead yesterday morning under a clump of trees off a road about five miles from her home. Fairfax County police sources said they were baffled by the case, saying there were no marks on the girl's body and no clues to how she died. Police officials said that the case is being treated as a homicide and that an autopsy is scheduled for today. The medical examiner at the scene said the death may have occurred within 24 hours before the body was discovered, according to a police spokesman, Officer Michael Proffitt.

The apparent slaying of the 10-year-old, described as happy and smart with many friends, sent shock waves through the community, which had rallied behind the family in force in a vain attempt to find the child over the past three days. Rosie was last seen riding her bicycle home from a friend's house several blocks away, and parents in the area said yesterday that the death has shattered their sense of safety in the quiet suburban neighborhood. "It's very hard to accept. Now what are we going to do with our kids?" said Minny Urquieta, a neighbor with an 8-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son. "Now I'll have to walk them out to the park . . . . When my son found out, he yelled, and my daughter started crying. She can't understand."

The body was found by Traci Burns, 18, shortly after 11 a.m. yesterday, about 10 feet off the side of Bentonbrook Road near a dead end at Edenderry Drive, west of Route 123 and south of Fairfax City. Burns spotted the body while driving by and told her father, Larry Burns, who went to the site and alerted county police. Larry Burns said that he saw no bruises on the child's body and that her clothes -- shorts and a top -- appeared undisturbed. Although her face was covered with leaves, Burns said there apparently had been little attempt to conceal the body, which was visible from the road yesterday morning. "If someone was trying to hide the body, there are a million places here they could drop it off, and it wouldn't be so obvious," he said.

Rhiannon Gordon, known as Rosie, had been at her best friend's house a few blocks away from her own home on Hollins Lane in the Lake Braddock community, and left at 6:55 p.m. Sunday to make it home by a 7 p.m. curfew, according to a family friend, Don Callaway, speaking on behalf of the family. Rosie was accompanied by her friend to a street corner about 300 yards from where her father, David Gordon, found her bicycle a short time later when he went out looking for her, Callaway said.

Police said that spot, on Lake Braddock Drive, was only about two blocks from her home, but Callaway said the road curves at that point and is obscured from view by foliage. "Where the bicycle was found is an ideal situation for someone to be grabbed with no one seeing it," Callaway said. Police originally believed that Rosie had run away, but Proffitt said that was based on early information that proved faulty. Rosie's family felt all along that she had been abducted, Callaway said. "Rosie was a happy child and an active child," Callaway said. "They had just had an active family weekend, and she wasn't being punished or anything."

The news of Rosie's disappearance Sunday night had resulted in a massive effort by scores of neighbors and the county police to try to find the 4-foot-6 brunette. While police searched with helicopters, dogs, foot patrols and a boat on Lake Braddock, residents conducted what Callaway referred to as a "shoulder-to-shoulder" hunt within a two-mile radius and canvassed virtually all of the 1,300 homes in the Lake Braddock community. By yesterday morning, the focus of the search had switched to areas farther away, with a network of citizens-band radio buffs putting out word to watch for Rosie as far south as Fredericksburg and as far north as Gaithersburg.

The local Domino's Pizza restaurant passed out fliers with Rosie's picture on it with each delivery, and the neighbors were to take stacks of the fliers to last night's Fourth of July celebrations throughout the area. But the family's hopes began to flag by yesterday morning, the third day of the search, Callaway said. "Waking up and Rosie not being in her bed this morning was tough," he said. "The family hasn't had any sleep to speak of."

David and Lien Gordon, Rosie's parents, also have a son, Wayne, 15, who had held up well throughout the ordeal but whose spirits had gone downhill by Monday night, Callaway said. Another neighbor, who asked not to be named, said parents have started talking about creating a buddy system for children to walk to and from school buses so they are never alone, even for a short time. "There isn't a parent here who isn't scared to death," she said...

LINK:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...nd-dead/8b390d95-a139-421d-8589-961c22f0105a/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...s-death/d93c9032-7b1f-4ebf-b48d-810e60f8c888/

Police still seek clues in 10-year-old's murder

Never heard of this case, so little info out there on this case. Wonder if they have the murderers DNA

Yes,Randy Breer was the suspect in this case,he had an alibi,he was at a work party,for like 12 hours.Horton didn't believe Randy killed Rosie but the police did believe that he did.Randy was described by his victims as having yellow teeth,a pot belly,and using a knife.Which to me that description also fits the bill of Caleb hughes,Im not saying randy is innocent or didn't do what he did but Randy Breers and Caleb Hughes do share some similar behavioral characteristics.....beer,marlboros,knives,kidnapping,they both served time in prison for auto theft or whatever they call it in a commonwealth etc.I mean if these two retards walked out of a movie theater after just watching howard the duck and they both locked eyes...cutting crew I just died in your arms tonight would start playing and Randy living dale city and caleb woodbridge...I find that scenario highly likely.Horton says no,the police say yes...its like did ya'll ever to think you're both right and wrong?Analyze the variables.

On at least two occasions, Fairfax County police have publicly stated they had possible suspects, but no charges have ever been filed.

A month after Rosie was killed, police announced that they believed Rosie's abductor to be a Dale City man who later was sent to prison for sexually assaulting four Washington-area girls. But he was never charged in Rosie's death and his attorney said the man had a solid alibi.

In 1992, after a man fatally shot himself before investigators could question him about the attempted abduction of a 9-year-old girl, police said they were investigating whether the man could have been involved in Gordon's death. The investigation never panned out.

LINK:

Yes,Randy Breer was the suspect in this case,he had an alibi,he was at a work party,for like 12 hours.Horton didn't believe Randy killed Rosie but the police did believe that he did.Randy was described by his victims as having yellow teeth,a pot belly,and using a knife.Which to me that description also fits the bill of Caleb hughes,Im not saying randy is innocent or didn't do what he did but Randy Breers and Caleb Hughes do share some similar behavioral characteristics.....beer,marlboros,knives,kidnapping,they both served time in prison for auto theft or whatever they call it in a commonwealth etc.I mean if these two retards walked out of a movie theater after just watching howard the duck and they both locked eyes...cutting crew I just died in your arms tonight would start playing and Randy living dale city and caleb woodbridge...I find that scenario highly likely.Horton says no,the police say yes...its like did ya'll ever to think you're both right and wrong?Analyze the variables.

On at least two occasions, Fairfax County police have publicly stated they had possible suspects, but no charges have ever been filed.

A month after Rosie was killed, police announced that they believed Rosie's abductor to be a Dale City man who later was sent to prison for sexually assaulting four Washington-area girls. But he was never charged in Rosie's death and his attorney said the man had a solid alibi.

In 1992, after a man fatally shot himself before investigators could question him about the attempted abduction of a 9-year-old girl, police said they were investigating whether the man could have been involved in Gordon's death. The investigation never panned out.

LINK:

I notice there isn't any mention of Edward Stewart, who was another possible suspect (as reported on at at the time). He's not the Dale City man (as we know, that is Randy Breer), nor was he the one who shot himself in 1992. He was arrested and convicted in 1992 of abducting and sexually assaulting an 8 year old girl in Dumfries and given a life sentence.... I wasn't really able to find anything about him in relation to Rosie, but I'm wondering if maybe they just ended up clearing him... It's just very odd to me that LE would say he is a possible suspect, allows it to be published in the Washington Post, then there's no mention of it again. Side note, also what I find weird AF (excuse my french) is how difficult it has been to find out where this dude even is, his sentence, plea, etc.

I notice there isn't any mention of Edward Stewart, who was another possible suspect (as reported on at at the time). He's not the Dale City man (as we know, that is Randy Breer), nor was he the one who shot himself in 1992. He was arrested and convicted in 1992 of abducting and sexually assaulting an 8 year old girl in Dumfries and given a life sentence.... I wasn't really able to find anything about him in relation to Rosie, but I'm wondering if maybe they just ended up clearing him... It's just very odd to me that LE would say he is a possible suspect, allows it to be published in the Washington Post, then there's no mention of it again. Side note, also what I find weird AF (excuse my french) is how difficult it has been to find out where this dude even is, his sentence, plea, etc.
He could have died and his info just got buried over the years.Probably not even a obituary if the prison had to bury him.Dumfries is interesting though,in 1995 a energy plant worker found a piece of red cloth in a pond/lake near dumfries he called the police and they searched it too thinking it was MB's.Which that cloth was significant if they took the time and energy to search for a body.Id' like to know what this Edward Stewarts occupation was back then.

He could have died and his info just got buried over the years.Probably not even a obituary if the prison had to bury him.Dumfries is interesting though,in 1995 a energy plant worker found a piece of red cloth in a pond/lake near dumfries he called the police and they searched it too thinking it was MB's.Which that cloth was significant if they took the time and energy to search for a body.Id' like to know what this Edward Stewarts occupation was back then.
That’s true. His listing on the Sex Offender Registry was last updated in 2010. Do they update when a person dies? I thought they would but maybe not since he’s not coming up anywhere else

According to this article... (attached)
"Stewart, owner of A-Plus Carpet Cleaning in Dumfries..."
I'm not sure when he started that company, but I wouldn't count him out

Attachments

• Pr._Wlliam_Girl,_8,_Describes_.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 10
I haven't kept up with this case, but every few years I do a google search, hoping that one day I will understand what happened. I didn't personally know Rosie, but I started a summer strings camp around the same she did and remembered her sitting a couple of rows over. I remember the signs up on the doors of the school, at the post office, at the grocery store... I remember them announcing her body had been found. The lack resolution still haunts me.

Rhiannon Rose "Rosie" Gordon
Murdered July 2, 1989

Rhiannon Rose Gordon (Rosie), 10, was abducted on July 2, 1989 near her home on Lake Braddock Drive in Burke. Her body was found on July 4, 1989 in the area of Bentonbrook Drive and Edenderry Drive in Fairfax.

LINKS:

Unsolved Burke, Springfield Homicides Listed On New Webpage

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/sites/police/files/assets/coldcase/1980s cases.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...nd-dead/8b390d95-a139-421d-8589-961c22f0105a/

Rhiannon Gordon - Fractured Fairfax

Unsolved Murder...

Rhiannon Rose "Rosie" Gordon, age 10 years old
Murdered July 2, 1989 Fairfax, Virginia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members