RI RI - Linda Carman, 54, Point Judith, 18 Sept 2016 *SON ARRESTED, dies before trial*

"Nathan Carman, the former Connecticut resident set to stand trial in the death of his mother and who was accused — but never criminally charged — in the killing of his grandfather, was found "unresponsive" in his prison cell and died about 40 minutes later early Thursday morning, an official said.

Carman, 29, was found in his cell at the Cheshire County Department of Corrections in Keene, N.H., during officers' rounds around 2:20 a.m. Thursday, according to Doug Iosue, the prison's superintendent. He was pronounced dead a little after 3 a.m., he said."

This is the lawyers new conference from WMUR (the only TV station in the state)
12+ minutes. Very emotional.

@MassGuy , or anyone with subscription, please help us stay abreast via The Globe...
I can't read it.

edit: volume is very bad.... trying to find another format

Last edited:
Didn’t finish my earlier post. Wanted to add that I suspect his cause of death is suspected to be suicide and now it’s been reported of a note found. Never thought NC's passing would be due to natural causes unless he had an unknown heart condition. Typically it’s unheard of for a 29 year old young man to die of natural causes, right? I'm sure it's possible, but rare.

Interesting NC's death followed right after Ted Kaczynski.

moo

Credit site: https://www.bostonglobe.com/

Nathan Carman died by hanging himself in his cell, lawyer says.

Updated June 16, 2023, 6:21 p.m.

Nathan Carman, the 29-year-old Vermont man accused of killing his mother at sea in a scheme to collect an inheritance, is believed to have died Thursday by hanging himself at a New Hampshire jail, according to one of his lawyers.

“The medical examiner is saying that he hung himself,” Connecticut attorney Martin Minnella, who represents Carman, said during a telephone interview Friday. “I don’t understand why or how.“

Authorities have not publicly said how Carman died and have only said he was discovered alone in his cell at the Cheshire County Jail in Keene, N.H., at about 2:30 a.m. by a correctional officer making routine rounds.

Minnella said Carman had been upbeat, was looking forward to proving his innocence at his upcoming trial in October, and did not appear depressed when speaking with his lawyers. However, he said Carman suffered from Asperger’s Syndrome and it may have impacted his ability to handle being locked up.

“My only concern right now is getting him out of [the morgue] and getting him a proper burial, so he can rest in peace,” said Minnella, adding that he plans to pay the funeral expenses. “I feel like I owe him that.”

Updated June 16, 2023, 6:21 p.m.

“Jails house a very high-risk population of individuals with mental health disorders, substance use issues, trauma histories, poor coping skills, and a multitude of other risk factors that put them at risk of killing themselves,” Boesky said in an e-mail. “When you add the stress of being arrested, possibly serving time in prison, separation from friends and family, as well as limited access to typical coping strategies, it is not surprising that the suicide rate in jails is higher than in the community.”

Carman’s second lawyer, David Sullivan, said he spoke to Carman for an hour the night before his death, ended their call at 7 p.m. and “had no inkling whatsoever” that his client was depressed or suicidal.

“I do not fault that facility,” said Sullivan, adding that Carman believed he was treated well at the jail and preferred to be there, rather than at another facility where had previously been held.

“I am so distraught by the thought that at some point after 7 o’clock something in his mind brought him to that moment,” Sullivan said. “I don’t understand it.”

Sullivan said his last words to Carman were, “OK my friend, sleep well.”

Prosecutors accused Carmen of planning to kill his 54-year-old mother on a fishing trip off the Rhode Island coast in 2016. While his mother was never seen again and is presumed dead, Carman was found in a life raft days later by the crew of a passing freighter ship.

Carman had been long suspected by his family and others of killing his mother and shooting to death his grandfather, wealthy real estate developer John Chakalos, in 2013.

Police said Carman was the last person to see his grandfather alive and owned a semi-automatic rifle similar to the one used to kill Chakalos. But the rifle had disappeared.

After Chakalos' death, Carman received $550,000 as a beneficiary of bank accounts his grandfather had set up. Carman was unemployed and low on funds when he planned the fishing trip with his mother in 2016, according to prosecutors.

Prosecutors alleged the deaths were part of a scheme to inherit an estimated $7 million of the $42 million Chakalos left to his four daughters.

Nathan Carman dies awaiting trial for his mother’s death in 2016 fishing trip off New England

Updated: Jun 15, 2023 / 04:15 PM CDT

One of his lawyers, Martin Minnella, said Carman appeared “in good spirits” when he last spoke to his defense team on the phone Wednesday.

“We were meeting with some experts today over Zoom at 12 o’clock. We were prepared to start picking a jury on Oct. 10 and we were confident we were going to win,” Minnella said. “I’m just heartbroken because I wanted him to have his day in court.”

Carman left a note for his lawyers, but they did not know what it said as of Thursday afternoon, said David Sullivan, Carman’s other attorney. Federal prosecutors told them about the note.

Prosecutors say the deaths of Carman’s mother and grandfather paved the way for him to inherit an estimated $7 million — Linda Carman’s share of her father’s estate. That inheritance remains tied up in probate court in Connecticut, where his three aunts sought to block Carman from receiving any money from his grandfather’s estate.

Chakalos’ three surviving daughters — Carman’s aunts — said in a statement Thursday that they were “deeply saddened” to hear about his death and asked for privacy “while we process this shocking news and its impact on the tragic events surrounding the last several years.”

last updated 1:44 PM, June 28, 2023

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — An autopsy has determined that the death of a man awaiting trial on charges of killing his mother off the coast of New England in a scheme to inherit millions of dollars was not suspicious, the New Hampshire attorney general’s office said Wednesday.

Nathan Carman, 29, of Vernon, Vermont, was found dead in his cell in a county jail in New Hampshire on June 15. The attorney general’s office does not release the cause and manner in deaths that are not suspicious, according to spokesperson Michael Garrity. The U.S. Marshals Service in Vermont said it will not be releasing the cause of Carman’s death at the request of family.

The attorney general’s office confirmed that authorities consider a death to be not suspicious when they’ve determined no one else was involved, or if no crime was committed.

thanks for the notice on the netflix documentary.
I had followed this case rather closely since he was all around my old territory. And I was in Vermont, when news of his death came out....

I wanted to show some piks of how wacky his house was renovated...but all those articles were in the Boston Globe and Boston Herald, both paywalled....

So am just posting another article from the local newspaper close to where he lived in Vernon... for some local color.
He really was a strange dude... who got away with murder..for a bit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back