RI RI - Linda Carman, 54, Point Judith, 18 Sept 2016 *SON ARRESTED, dies before trial*

The letters he wrote to the captain of the freighter brought home how isolated he is. He said the only two people who would welcome his return were dead. His neighbors in Vermont didn't really know him. It sounds like he spent his time alone working on the house. And once a month or so, he'd go fishing with his mother, according to her friend.

On the other hand, the open murder of his grandfather, the fact that police wanted to arrest him for it, the incident when he was younger described as holding a child hostage using a knife and the neighbor in his apartment building who referred to him as 'murder boy' because of it all raised concerns. The missing notices from when he ran away cautioned anyone who spotted him not to engage him but to keep him in sight and call the police. He could be difficult to deal with when under stress because he had poor coping skills, the notices said.

I guess I am leaning more toward Linda as a suspect in John's murder. She'd physically attacked him 2 years earlier and vowed that she was going to get her share of his money. She demonstrated quite a sense of entitlement and exploded at an 85-year old man because he'd said he'd stop supporting Linda and her husband. She may have set Nathan up to take the fall (thinking he;d get off) by telling police they had plans to fishing at 3am but Nathan didn't show. It was Dec 20th. Probably not ideal conditions even if you're a fanatic.

New information in the Hartford Courant today about the boat. The previous owner Brian Woods is a metal fabricator in Massachusetts. He said he spent 2 years $60,000 repairing it. The article includes a video of the boat he posted in his ad in 2014. The video is titled "The Ultimate Fishing Machine." Nathan purchased it in Dec. 2015.

Woods, according to his for-sale post, installed new bulkheads and stringers, a Cummins 6BTA diesel engine, new engine beds and an aluminum pilot house. He also made external repairs to the hull and applied an epoxy barrier coat, according to his post. The boat was originally built in 1974. Woods also noted in the ad that he replaced part of the boat's deck with aluminum. The boat had three fuel tanks and a 380-gallon fuel capacity.

Investigators are looking at whether the boat was seaworthy and visited Woods within days of the sinking. Nathan had told several people that there were problems with the boat's engine. The general manager of the marina stated there were problems with the bilge pump. Nathan also told someone at the marina that he'd removed the trim tabs and filled the holes with a marine sealant.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-nathan-carman-boat-repairs-20161007-story.html

Quite a story in today's Boston Globe on Nathan's teen years and the disagreements over his care between his mother and grandfather. I have no idea from this which one had a better handle on addressing Nathan's difficulties and which was enabling him. The description of his high school years makes me so sad--his father said he never had one friend.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...her-concern/pMv77hgMJXCtYWjgSez1NL/story.html

This story intrigues me. When I read the headline, something did not sound right. Soon enough, information about the grandfather's murder and his wealth came out. What didn't sound right is his description of what happened at the time the boat filled with water. His mother was in another part of the boat, he was prepared with ample food and water for several days adrift. If he had time to collect water and food, why didn't he have time to ask his mother to help him gather water and food? Why didn't his mother have time to get into the raft? It simply doesn't add up.

He was the suspect in his grandfather's murder, but obviously there wasn't enough evidence at the time for an arrest. There is a lot of money to be had, and the only way the son could get his hands on the money is to eliminate first his grandfather, and then his mother. His initial comments about having nothing, and no where to go, suggest to me that this was on his mind both before and after his mother disappeared. One way for him to solve that problem was to remove the obstacles to his grandfather's wealth - and now that has been achieved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/private-service-linda-carman-woman-lost-sea-boat-sinking/

A private service is taking place for a Connecticut woman lost at sea during a mother-and-son fishing trip.

The Wednesday morning service at a Hartford church was organized by Linda Carman’s son, Nathan Carman, but her three sisters were not planning to attend. Linda Carman’s sisters have questioned the timing of the service with the sinking still under investigation by multiple police agencies.

To accommodate all the new people coming to Websleuths because of the docuseries we are moving to a much bigger and faster server.

This is just a reminder that the Websleuths forum will be down starting Wednesday (tomorrow) at 6 PM Eastern. We hope to be back up by Thursday morning.

Members can check for updates on Twitter and Facebook.

FBI Searching NH Land, Possibly for Clues to CT Homicide, RI Missing Woman, Fishing Boat Case
Federal investigators and others are in the Granite State yesterday searching the home of a man who was murdered nearly three years ago in Connecticut, according to the Associated Press. The vacant property in Spofford was owned byJohn Chakalos of Windsor, CT, who was*murdered in December 2013, a homicide that remains unsolved.

Officials refused comment on why they were at the home but did confirmed it*was a multi-agency investigation, according to the Keene Sentinel. Reporters at the scene stated that more than two dozen vehicles were on the property, including vehicles with Massachusetts and Connecticut license plates. People in hazmat suits were seen around the Spofford Lake property, according to the report, some with rakes and shovels.

FBI at land owned by family in homicide, Nathan Carman case*https://t.co/A0fe7Nuo2r

— NBC 10 WJAR (@NBC10)*December" class="redactor-linkify-object">https://twitter.com/NBC10/stat...2, 2016

According to press reports, Nathan Carman, Chakalos’ grandson, was the last person to see him alive when they had dinner together the night before he was found inside his home on Overlook Drive, the victim of three gunshots. Carman has*denied any involvement in his grandfather’s death, according to reports.

Back in September, the U.S. Coast Guard were sent to Block Island, RI, to search for Carman and his mother – Linda Carman – who were late returning from a weekend fishing trip. After about four days, with more than 60,000 square miles searched,*crews gave up the search. But a few days later, Nathan Carman was found*on a life raft about 100 miles off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard.
http://patch.com/new-hampshire/milf...ly-clues-ct-homicide-ri-missing-woman-fishing

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Crazy! Is it 100% confirmed that she entered the boat alive and voluntarily? Seems strange she would go on an isolated fishing trip with him if others close to him were getting security due to him being a ticking time bomb, and him being suspected of a previous family murder.

I have HFA (previously known as Asperger's) and have two kids, one with HFA and one with Autism. My opinion on her behaviour towards her son was that perhaps she played down the violence within him, even attributing it to his HFA, thus making it "not REAL violence", if that makes sense.

She probably spent a good portion of her life making excuses for his oddities and his behaviours. I will also say that when you grow accustomed to a certain behaviour, you tend to overlook it. For instance, one of my kids has stimming behaviours when he grows excited. He makes sounds and puts his hand in front of his face. For those of us who live with him, this is a normal thing and we don't pay any attention. When we are out, however, it of course causes looks from strangers, who don't know him or why he is making noise.

She perhaps underplayed his violent tendencies and excused them as part of his HFA (it's not), which unfortunately would have left her vulnerable.

Now I feel like mom killed Grandpa. Grandpa was Nathan's BFF. Nathan figures out mom killed Grandpa. Nathan moves out of mom's place and into his own house, while he waits & plots. Then Nathan kills mom as revenge for killing grandpa!

After reading about her attacking him in public, I agree with your theory. If Nathan was very close to his grandfather, finding out his mother killed him would have been like having his world collapse. He clearly possessed a propensity for violence, so I don't think reciprocating by killing his mother would be out of the realm of possibility.

I have HFA (previously known as Asperger's) and have two kids, one with HFA and one with Autism. My opinion on her behaviour towards her son was that perhaps she played down the violence within him, even attributing it to his HFA, thus making it "not REAL violence", if that makes sense.

She probably spent a good portion of her life making excuses for his oddities and his behaviours. I will also say that when you grow accustomed to a certain behaviour, you tend to overlook it. For instance, one of my kids has stimming behaviours when he grows excited. He makes sounds and puts his hand in front of his face. For those of us who live with him, this is a normal thing and we don't pay any attention. When we are out, however, it of course causes looks from strangers, who don't know him or why he is making noise.

She perhaps underplayed his violent tendencies and excused them as part of his HFA (it's not), which unfortunately would have left her vulnerable.

Most mothers would probably do the same, I know I probably would have. We see only the good in our children usually or what we believe is there even if it isn't.

Remembering the mom whose son killed her first before he went over to Sandy Hook Elementary and shot dead everyone he could in the primary school, children and teachers.

She did the same with her son. Even taught him to shoot at the shooting range with her. She knew consciously he wasn't "right", yet chose to ignore that for the sake of what she wanted to create in him, a closer relationship with her.

It happens.

BBM;
This is what first tipped my hinky meter. He brought the safety stuff forward. OK so the raft has to be inflated which is fast AFAIK. But He did that, got on his life vest, loaded the raft with 8 days worth of food and water for 2 but never took care of Mom in that space of time? Did he make sure she put her vest on? He lost track of her? Was she helping? The panic and anxiety would be huge.

The boat disappeared from under him? He heard a noise and then saw a foot of water. Unless the bilge pump was pumping into the deck I don't see that happening. Even then I would think as close as they were he would stay close with her in that situation. In fact given his Aspergers I would think she would be looking after him.

He saw the raft but didn't see mom? Was she talking before that? Yelling? Screaming? Helping?

It's a good question IMO as to whether she was actually on the boat (alive) to begin with.

I wonder if LE is using dogs at his VT property.

For me, it would depend on what the proper safety protocol would be. For instance, on an airline, you are supposed to put your own equipment on first, and then secure your child. I don't know anything about boats, but if there is a certain order suggested in an emergency, then he could have been strictly following an internal "check list", and wouldn't have even considered straying from it to check on his mother first.

HFA wouldn't require her to hover over him or "look after" him.

I wish we could see any actual police interviews with him, to answer the questions you've posed. Did she yell? Were there sounds of struggling? Unfortunately people on the spectrum aren't usually story tellers - they give the exact information that has been asked of them, nothing more.

I hope LE had someone question him who is familiar with ASDs, so they could ask the right questions. A polygraph, imho, would be useless in this case. He would pass, regardless of his guilt.

This is the online posting that the MSM article says was probably posted by his mother.

http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/4uafo-17-y-o-son-suffering.html

In it, she talks about him having paranoid and religious delusions and says the staff want to forcibly inject him with Zyprexa. Zyprexa is an antipsychotic medication that is used for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and psychotic depression. It is not used for Asperger's Syndrome. She says he stopped taking his medication (zyprexa, stratera and paxil) some time prior to this hospitalization. Stratera is a treatment for ADD, and paxil is an antidepressant. The counsellor she is asking for advice from online says it doesn't sound like he has Asperger's.

ETA: my bad, Zyprexa *is* sometimes used for autism. It may help reduce irritability and stereotypies/ stimming(repetitive movements, such as hand-flapping).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3513681/

This is the online posting that the MSM article says was probably posted by his mother.

In it, she talks about him having paranoid and religious delusions and says the staff want to forcibly inject him with Zyprexa. Zyprexa is an antipsychotic medication that is used for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and psychotic depression. It is not used for Asperger's Syndrome. She says he stopped taking his medication (zyprexa, stratera and paxil) some time prior to this hospitalization. Stratera is a treatment for ADD, and paxil is an antidepressant. The counsellor she is asking for advice from online says it doesn't sound like he has Asperger's.

ETA: my bad, Zyprexa *is* sometimes used for autism. It may help reduce irritability and stereotypies/ stimming(repetitive movements, such as hand-flapping).

Not only did Zyprexa and Strattera NOT help my kid in any way, it turned him into a brief, flip-of-the-switch serial killer, threatening to kill himself and everyone else (in their sleep), attacking family members physically, and injuring himself.

So another point could be Nathan's violent outbursts were due to incorrect medications, and were not his natural tendency. I've only seen anecdotal evidence that he WAS actually violent. I wish we could have information from an unbiased source.

I read the mother's request for advice. There is no exact date but it says 5 years ago it was written when the boy was 17. Does that sound about right for N.C.'s age now?

She talks about how her father, (his grandfather), said all his problems stemmed from her, (mother)

20/20 is interviewing Nathan. And he walked off set once the questions got tough about the murder of his grandfather and his mom.

I seen the commercial this morning.

So it should air soon.

Nathan told “20/20” that conditions were good the day they set out to sea, but McCormick, who says he was out on the same waters hours before, disagrees. This is not the first time Nathan was the last person to see a family member before their questionable death. Three years earlier Nathan was the last person to see his grandfather John Chakalos before he was shot and killed. Authorities were suspicious of Nathan at the time, but no charges were ever filed. Nathan claims that he is innocent and that he was not responsible for the death of his mother or grandfather. He believes that because he has Asperger’s syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum, he is being misunderstood, and targeted.

“20/20” is anchored by Elizabeth Vargas and David Muir. David Sloan is senior executive producer.

Insurance Companies Say Nathan Carman's Boat Was Altered

<snip>
"Two insurance companies said in a court filing that they should not pay for Nathan Carman's $85,000 claim because his boat was altered and made unsafe. "

<snip>
"According to court filings, Carmen removed the boat's structural bulkheads, trim tabs and "the day before the boat sank (Carman) opened four half dollar-sized holes in the hull near the waterline and attemped on his own to fill them, which was not satisfactory."

<snip>
"The companies rejected the claim after a naval architect and marine surveyor assessed the boat's alterations, saying that Carman "knew his boat was unseaworthy when it departed Ram Point Marina," the filing alleges. "

http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...athan-Carmans-Boat-Was-Altered-412219293.html

How could the boat be safe if he used putty the day before? Wouldn't that stuff need to sit and cure for several days?

Also I missed last night's 20/20 episode. But I'm truly surprised that Linda and Nathan simply didn't just rent a fishing boat for their trip since it's obvious that their boat had multiple damage in different areas.

I watched the 20/20 interview yesterday.
What a tangle this family is in.

Nathan makes me think of my son. My son has been falsely wrung out multiple times. I am biased towards protecting and believing Nathan. Admittedly there are very compelling reasons to take a close look at him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back