Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note:

Some posts have been removed as off topic. If a source is approved at WS, Posters should feel comfortable posting that source in an effort to share and discuss information. Please stay focused on the content of sources shared, rather than side conversations of why you may or may not like a specific source.

Bottom Line: If you don’t care for the source, scroll on by.

Thanks,
Tiff

It all started with Bush and Angela Merkel, trying to get Ukraine into the NATO....then the Crimea was taken. Why is Putin so scared...maybe because he has a non integer agenda? Nobody in his/her right mind would try take the Russian Federation or throw a nuclear bomb on it.....
https://www.cnbc.com/2008/04/02/bush-presses-nato-on-ukraine-georgia-afghanistan.html

I think Ukraine should decide that for them selves.

I agree. Bush and Merkel were instigators.

Ukraine should get to decide for themselves. But, the Dombas region in the far eastern part of the country just declared themselves to be "independent."

That country is so divided--I don't know why they don't just let the separatist regions secede and join Russia.

But, that's unlikely to happen without a broader war.

I'd like to see all parties sit down--without the United States and the EU there.

Ukraine is not a democracy?

"The basic unit of government administration in Ukraine is a central office of executive authority (central executive office) which may be granted ministerial status. Each such central office of executive authority is chaired by its head (holova). Many central offices of executive authority without ministerial status may be part of government ministry, while other function separately or support either President of Ukraine or Verkhovna Rada (parliament). Central offices of executive authority without ministerial status are designated either as services, agencies, or inspections. Selected central offices of executive authority are granted a "special status". Only very few central executive offices are designated as funds, committees or otherwise."

Government of Ukraine - Wikipedia

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not.
From Ukraine's president Twitter account, Ukraine have reported Russia to the Hague.
Володимир Зеленський
@ZelenskyyUa

·
2h

Ukraine has submitted its application against Russia to the ICJ. Russia must be held accountable for manipulating the notion of genocide to justify aggression. We request an urgent decision ordering Russia to cease military activity now and expect trials to start next week.

sorry, I suck at linking Tweets.

“Ukrainian troops are in control of Kharkiv, governor says, after Russian attack”

Ukraine live updates: Ukraine claims control of Kharkiv after Russian attack - BBC News
They were bombed too, all night until 1 am, then a ceasefire until it started again at 6am. BBC World News was just talking to a UK citizen, a teacher in Kharkiv. He stayed because his partner is Ukrainian.

He heard bombing but has seen no sign of fighting in the streets where he lives. Based on the media he's seen, Ukraine still controls the city. He's saying news says half the Russian vehicles have been destroyed and according to him the bombing has certainly reduced throughout the day. One air raid siren recently followed by one explosion, but not close. He says they don't feel the need to initiate their escape plan yet and feel the Russians have not taken over the city as of now.

Fight on Ukraine! God keep you all safe and strong.

Edit: For reference this is the UK teacher in Kharkiv, Harry Lee
Ukraine conflict: British teacher has no intention of leaving

Last edited:
Germany this week also halted its Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project with Russia and agreed to send weapons to Ukraine after long resisting pressure from Western allies on both issues and facing accusations of being too dovish towards the Kremlin.

"We will have to invest more in the security of our country to protect out freedom and democracy," Scholz told an extraordinary session of the Bundestag lower house of parliament on Sunday.

Germany to raise defence spending sharply in response to 'Putin's aggression'

<modsnip -quoted post removed>

I'm not a fan of Fox News either, but Tulsi Gabbard was a Democratic presidential contender and the words she speaks are her own. She served in the military and she now serves in Congress. That alone should be enough to listen to her.

She's well-informed about the situation, she knows the history, and she wants to minimize deaths and escalation.

People are dying. I think it's worth listening to those who understand what's happening and why.
<modsnip> I'm glad she wants peace

Ukraine’s President Zelensky: In the streets of a war-rattled city, a hero is born

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/26/ukraine-russia-zelensky-war/

In Ukraine, there’s precedent for Shuklin’s screen-to-reality sense of confidence: President Volodymyr Zelensky was an actor and comedian, whose only political experience before getting elected was playing the role of Ukraine’s president in a satirical TV series. Now, those savvy communication skills, his ability to sway audiences via social media, a healthy dose of grit and defiance — and not least of all, his readiness to die if necessary — has transformed him into an unlikely champion for Ukrainians and the world.

He’s my Hero.

Jmo

"The basic unit of government administration in Ukraine is a central office of executive authority (central executive office) which may be granted ministerial status. Each such central office of executive authority is chaired by its head (holova). Many central offices of executive authority without ministerial status may be part of government ministry, while other function separately or support either President of Ukraine or Verkhovna Rada (parliament). Central offices of executive authority without ministerial status are designated either as services, agencies, or inspections. Selected central offices of executive authority are granted a "special status". Only very few central executive offices are designated as funds, committees or otherwise."

Government of Ukraine - Wikipedia
Also from Wikipedia:

The politics of Ukraine take place in a framework of a semi-presidential representative democratic republic and of a multi-party system. A Cabinet of Ministers exercises executive power (jointly with the president until 1996). Legislative power is vested in Ukraine's parliament, the Verkhovna Rada (Ukrainian: Верховна Рада, lit. 'Supreme Council').

Politics of Ukraine - Wikipedia

Ukraine invasion: Russian planes face near-total airspace ban to west
''Russian-owned planes, including private jets, can no longer enter the skies above the Baltic states, Poland, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Romania and Slovenia. Russian planes have also been banned from UK airspace.

Several more EU countries have now joined the action to close airspace to Russian flights:

• Germany is imposing a three-month ban from 15:00 (14:00 GMT) on Sunday
  • Italy will close its airspace to Russian aircraft, the prime minister's office said
  • Finland, which shares an 800 mile (1,300km) border with Russia, "is preparing to close its airspace to Russian air traffic," Transport Minister Timo Harakka wrote on Twitter
  • Belgium's Prime Minister Alexander De Croo said European skies were "open for those who connect people, not for those who seek to brutally aggress", and France and the Netherlands will also close their airspace from Sunday evening
  • Denmark's foreign minister Jeppe Kofod said on Twitter that his country would close its airspace and push for an EU-wide ban
  • Ireland and Austria have thrown their weight behind an EU-wide ban''

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — In a dramatic escalation of East-West tensions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian nuclear forces put on high alert Sunday in response to what he called “aggressive statements” by leading NATO powers.

The order means Putin has ordered Russia’s nuclear weapons prepared for increased readiness to launch, raising the threat that the tensions could boil over into nuclear warfare. In giving it, the Russian leader also cited hard-hitting financial sanctions imposed by the West against Russia, including Putin himself.

Speaking at a meeting with his top officials, Putin directed the Russian defense minister and the chief of the military’s General Staff to put the nuclear deterrent forces in a “special regime of combat duty.”

“Western countries aren’t only taking unfriendly actions against our country in the economic sphere, but top officials from leading NATO members made aggressive statements regarding our country,” Putin said in televised comments.”

Putin puts Russia's nuclear forces on alert, cites sanctions

It was posted some min ago in swedish news.

I am not holding my breathe, but am very hopeful progress is made with peace talks. Without progress, I fear escalation:

“Top officials in leading NATO countries have allowed themselves to make aggressive comments about our country, therefore I hereby order the minister of Defense and the chief of the General Staff [of the RF Armed Forces] to place the Russian Army Deterrence Force on combat alert,” Putin said in televised meeting with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov.
“Yes, sir,” replied Shoigu.

The Russian President also said the sanctions placed on Russia were unlawful.

Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member