RUSSIA - WNBA star Brittney Griner, Detained @ Sheremetyevo International Airport, 2022 *Guilty*

It's a very heavy price considering that we're holding a Russian hacker in prison that could have been traded. Someone who made a living selling weapons causing an untold number of deaths for someone caught with a small amount of hash oil? Seems like Russia used all the furor over Griner to their advantage and ended up with a very lopsided one for one swap
Griner played basketball in Russia and was well paid and well liked so the Russian authorities must have seen her as a dangerous example of "western" life. A bad situation for her and for the US.

Griner has been an exemplary player and citizen during her six seasons in Russia, two members of Griner's Russian club team tell the judge as they appear as character witnesses in her trial.16 hours ago

Brittney Griner Russia drug case timeline - Prison, trial, release​

https://www.espn.com › wnba › story › brittney-griner-..

Russia refused to release Paul Whelan alongside Brittney Griner unless a former colonel from Russia’s domestic spy organization currently in German custody was also released as part of any prisoner swap, US officials told CNN, even as the US offered up the names of several other Russian prisoners in US custody that they would be willing to trade.

The US was unable to deliver on the request for the ex-colonel, Vadim Krasikov, because he is serving out a life sentence for murder in Germany.

I don't understand why the US wouldn't or couldn't wait for a deal that included Mr. Whelen. This is unfair because he has served his country. Brittney played basketball, she got paid good money to do so. It is her fault for smuggling the vapes into Russia, yet everyone thinks this prisoner trade was fair. It wasn't, least of all to Mr. Whelen and his family.

Mr. Whelen should have been on top of the list and if Brittney got released, then good, not the other way around.

JMO

I don't understand why the US wouldn't or couldn't wait for a deal that included Mr. Whelen. This is unfair because he has served his country. Brittney played basketball, she got paid good money to do so. It is her fault for smuggling the vapes into Russia, yet everyone thinks this prisoner trade was fair. It wasn't, least of all to Mr. Whelen and his family.

Mr. Whelen should have been on top of the list and if Brittney got released, then good, not the other way around.

JMO
The U.S. has no control over what Russia's demands are regarding Paul Whelan, Russia refused to release Whelan. And FYI do we actually know for a fact Brittney was "smuggling" or made an honest mistake with medical marijuana (she provided a doctor's note at her trial)? You are needlessly blaming the victim.

JMO
Well why didn’t we secure his release 4 years ago then? He was in jail in Russia all of 2019, all of 2020. Why wasn’t his release secured then, before Griner was an issue?

Bottom line is this wasn’t an option. Not then. Not now. Russia wasn’t doing it. Whelan’s family say we made the right choice. They understand and are happy for Griner? Why can’t the rest of us be?

The U.S. has no control over what Russia's demands are regarding Paul Whelan, Russia refused to release Whelan. And FYI do we actually know for a fact Brittney was "smuggling" or made an honest mistake with medical marijuana (she provided a doctor's note at her trial)? You are needlessly blaming the victim.
I feel like it is unlikely that we would trade an arms dealer for someone who purposefully smuggled drug paraphernalia into Russia.

We support Ukraine. The charges against Griner were timed perfectly to show Russia’s response to that support. Griner wasn’t stupid. She knew that marijuana is illegal in Russia and what the risk would have been.

WNBA members are routinely drug tested, from what I understand. What have her results been in the past?

I'm disgusted that people are up in arms about PW not being released. People that feel this way need to get their facts straight. He's committed larceny, perjury, identity theft & passed bad checks. So, this guy is an "American hero"?! Yeah, right.

Ask anyone who's had to deal with check fraud and/or identity theft. People that do this are scum-bags, and ruin people's lives.

He's a criminal & a disgrace to the U.S. If he ever is released back to America, he needs to be put back in jail.

While I’m sorely disappointed in the attitude about Griner’s release and have suspicions as to why that is, Whelan served his time for his bad deeds in the US, back in 2008. He doesn’t deserve to languish in Russia and should also be freed.

Well why didn’t we secure his release 4 years ago then? He was in jail in Russia all of 2019, all of 2020. Why wasn’t his release secured then, before Griner was an issue?

Bottom line is this wasn’t an option. Not then. Not now. Russia wasn’t doing it. Whelan’s family say we made the right choice. They understand and are happy for Griner? Why can’t the rest of us be?
I never said I wasn't happy that Britteny is home. The only thing I said, was that I believed Whelan's release should have been secured first. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no idea why Trump didn't try to get Whelan released since he and Putin were such good buddies. Maybe Trump didn't want Bout out?

I never said I wasn't happy that Britteny is home. The only thing I said, was that I believed Whelan's release should have been secured first. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no idea why Trump didn't try to get Whelan released since he and Putin were such good buddies. Maybe Trump didn't want Bout out?

From what I have read it was the administration that didn’t do a swap, and for very good reasons having to do w/ VB, arms dealer.

I agree with you as well, PW should have been released first or as well.

Jmo it shows weakness.

I think it’s pretty ridiculous that we traded a major arms dealer for a basketball player. Let me state outright, for me it has nothing to do with race, sexuality, or anything along those lines. He sells weapons of destruction, she throws a ball threw a hoop. Think about it….we just released a man who was convicted of a laundry list of major crimes. A man who is nicknamed the merchant of death. We traded a very, very, dangerous man for a basketball player. He will be right back to what he was doing.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc Fogel remains imprisoned in Russia after Brittney Griner swap

While the Biden administration celebrated the release of WNBA star Britney Griner from a Russian prison Thursday, there was no update on the efforts to free a Butler County native from Russian detention.

Marc Fogel is serving a 14-year sentence after being arrested at a Moscow airport with medical marijuana in his luggage. He reportedly used medical marijuana after spinal surgery.

While the Biden administration celebrated the release of WNBA star Britney Griner from a Russian prison Thursday, there was no update on the efforts to free a Butler County native from Russian detention.

Marc Fogel is serving a 14-year sentence after being arrested at a Moscow airport with medical marijuana in his luggage. He reportedly used medical marijuana after spinal surgery.
If you go to another country you have to know, and follow their rules.
That said where’s the big hoopla about Fogel being imprisoned there? Where’s the outrage? Where is our administration? Shouldn’t we trade another demon like Bout for him?
How anyone could possibly think a simple basketball player was worth trading Bout for mystifies me.

Last edited:
If you go to another country you have to know, and follow their rules.
That said where’s the big hoopla about Fogel being imprisoned there? Where’s the outrage? Where is our administration? Shouldn’t we trade another demon like Bout for him?
How anyone could possibly think a simple basketball player was worth trading Bout for mystifies me.
Maybe the squeaky shoe gets the grease?! lol.
rbbm.
1670786347973.png
''It is the unofficial soundtrack of basketball, a noise consistently heard but rarely considered — rubber-soled shoes squeaking on the hardwood.

Squeaks are the background rhythm to the game. But that sound is also one of the enduring mysteries of sports, and presents a question that gets scientists talking: Why do basketball shoes squeak?''

The fact that he's known to government officials and has them fighting for him to be classified as wrongfully detained shows that the government picks and chooses who they want to fight for.

You know that guy had only about 6-7 years left on his sentence? He would’ve gotten out eventually. And he would be unlikely to die in federal prison. But Griner could have easily died in the Russian gulag.

That’s the whole point- the sentence for Griner was cruel and unusual for the crime she pled to (which I don’t believe she committed). She was at risk of death in prison there. It’s not like here.

It was essential she get out. And that’s the only deal Russia would make. The only other option would be to refuse and no one goes home.

Our negotiators have been trying to work a deal for some time. I doubt they’re idiots.
How was it cruel and unusual? She got the usual punishment for being caught with drugs in another country. Whether she unintentionally packed them or not, it was her responsibility to know what's in her luggage.

The Russians knew they had the negotiators over a barrel because of all the outrage over her case and they held their ground to get what they wanted. The negotiators should have pressed harder for Whelan and Fogel, plain and simple

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monique 9903
Back