Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on the fence about whether this crime was calculated or more spontaneous and crazy, however, if you were an electrician, and you were trying to cover up a crime, would you not pretty much obliterate the victim's electronics? I mean smithereens, liquefy, flush, acid bath, burn, mail the ashes to the Congo.... something destructive and outlandish?

Just seen news report about the use of technology sniffer dogs today.
The info about Mick with the added "frantic" is just clickbait (IMHO) so take the salt offered by @Poirot's niece

In terms of this search (20th and today), I think the alleged accused talked - but not about the location of SM - maybe about alleged accomplices. The way it feels, like the earlier 'search' of Mount Clear, is that they already know something and this is to apply pressure. All just opinions. Yesterday they closed up shop at 3.30pm and said "nup, we are done" yet today, again, upgraded resources and "family unaware". It feels like a game of chess.

Last edited:
I'd be more likely to say Daily Mail just had nothing to go with so MM shaking his head and looking tired of fronting cameras didn't mean he'd had enough of media - it meant he was angry and distraught and answered no to their question.

All the media yesterday were reporting search efforts were off and maybe in the coming weeks there would be more.

Yet here we are, the very next day, with police back out searching again, focused on a much smaller area and for specific items.

The media can't really assist much in these searches besides being annoying and getting in the way.

Seems like police are doing their best to keep them from setting up a camp site at the royal park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - maybe they are timing how long it would take to go to a certain point and back - rule it out or rule it in. IMO

Looking back at Polair flight paths from earlier it all seems to be in a long line up and down that same stretch Buninyong to East Ballarat. MOO
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I wonder why they chose to end the search that time of the afternoon?

It's interesting given that it was originally reported that Sam's device last pinged at around 5pm.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I wonder why they chose to end the search that time of the afternoon?

It's interesting given that it was originally reported that Sam's device last pinged at around 5pm.
I think the doggies got tired.. It's a long day, long hours of concentration, .... the bush is full of spiky plants and sharp pebbles , hard on a good fella's little paws...

I think the doggies got tired.. It's a long day, long hours of concentration, .... the bush is full of spiky plants and sharp pebbles , hard on a good fella's little paws...
Yes, I remember PD Gov, being full of ticks, exhausted , collapsing & being taken to the vets in the initial search for WT

“During the three days I spent searching, PD (Police Dog) Gov was pushed to the point of exhaustion on several occasions,” the Senior Constable wrote.

“After completing my searching on the 13th September, PD Gov collapsed at the rear of my police vehicle.

“I removed approximately 30 paralysis ticks from him. I contacted East Port Vet Clinic in Port Macquarie and put them on notice that I might … bring PD Gov in for treatment.”

“A Victoria Police spokesperson said there was no search activity planned for Thursday but they expect to continue searching during coming weeks.”

IMO perhaps LE are taking a break to see if anyone of interest ventures into the area.

But supposedly another 'quiet' search today ?

The dogs will assist detectives in the search but police have not specified the location of today's "operational activity".

But supposedly another 'quiet' search today ?

The dogs will assist detectives in the search but police have not specified the location of today's "operational activity".
Exactly how a search should be. Police and dogs left in quiet to work on solving the case. Without media buzzing around in helicopters and harassing grieving family members on the ground.

I hear what you are saying but personally I don’t believe Mick would have turned up at the search area after police had left looking frantic if he’d been kept informed…. Why would he want to subject himself to being hounded by the Daily Mail?

I am also not making any judgements about the care and kindness the police are extending to the Murphy family. I wouldn’t have any idea about this whatsoever, but my impression was they were providing daily updates and that’s why I was taken aback by the images and reporting from the Daily Mail.

Perhaps I am making too much of what’s reported in MSM <modsnip: off topic>
IDK, I can see it. Maybe like a lot of us he was confused/upset that the search seemed to end relatively early. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be in his situation and just have to sit at home, not able to do anything and not able to really help. Maybe he just got to the point of "Screw it, I'll go look myself." "Frantic" is the word choice of the Daily Mail but frantic could also look like agitated, upset, etc, all normal emotions for someone in his position I would think. MOO.

“A Victoria Police spokesperson said there was no search activity planned for Thursday but they expect to continue searching during coming weeks.”

IMO perhaps LE are taking a break to see if anyone of interest ventures into the area.
This is odd, because unless they've found more intelligence overnight, they had not planned to search anywhere today (Thurs 21.3.24), yet the article quoted above says:
"Police will conduct another search around Ballarat on Thursday as they continue their investigation into the alleged murder of missing woman Samantha Murphy."
Strange.

IDK, I can see it. Maybe like a lot of us he was confused/upset that the search seemed to end relatively early. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be in his situation and just have to sit at home, not able to do anything and not able to really help. Maybe he just got to the point of "Screw it, I'll go look myself." "Frantic" is the word choice of the Daily Mail but frantic could also look like agitated, upset, etc, all normal emotions for someone in his position I would think. MOO.
Yep, wouldn't be the first time any kind of media, let alone the Daily Mail, used words of their choosing to sensationalize a story.

If more than one person is privy to information pertinent to the case, say an accomplice?
Connects totally for me in relation to “the vibe” I’ve been referring to…. And the sense that there is some kind of “new angle” in the case (and hence also the police’s handling of the case) …

Last edited:
I
Exactly how a search should be. Police and dogs left in quiet to work on solving the case. Without media buzzing around in helicopters and harassing grieving family members on the ground.
I’m sure sleuthing media will be doing ‘drive pasts’ a few local relevant homes frequented by the accused .OMO.

I tend to think the search yesterday was due to intelligence received, and due to the police having use of a cadaver dog for the day.

Following searches may revolve around the availability of the cadaver dog(s).

This could also be why the search wrapped up at 2:30. Because the dog had to be moved on to another location and case, ready for searches in that regard the following day.

Sam is not going to be easy to find without a cadaver dog's involvement, at this point in time. Unless someone innocently stumbles on her remains.

imo
Do we know for certain that the dog(s) used yesterday were cadaver dogs?

EDIT: This news article from 21.3.24 states the use of cadaver dogs in yesterday's search.

Last edited:
E
Do we know for certain that the dog(s) used yesterday were cadaver dogs?
Excellent question , thought likewise , watched media closely and did not see any reference to cadaver dogs used yesterday , keeping in mind a cadaver dog / dogs would have to have been loaned from other states as Victoria has none ( newsworthy ).

E

Excellent question , thought likewise , watched media closely and did not see any reference to cadaver dogs used yesterday , keeping in mind a cadaver dog / dogs would have to been loaned from other states as Victoria has none ( newsworthy ).
I just came across this fairly new article, from today (21.3.24). It does state that cadaver dogs were used yesterday.

I tend to think the search yesterday was due to intelligence received, and due to the police having use of a cadaver dog for the day.

Following searches may revolve around the availability of the cadaver dog(s).

This could also be why the search wrapped up at 2:30. Because the dog had to be moved on to another location and case, ready for searches in that regard the following day.

Sam is not going to be easy to find without a cadaver dog's involvement, at this point in time. Unless someone innocently stumbles on her remains.

imo
Dogs can only work so long in the heat. If they get hot they start panting and breathing through their mouths. When that happens they stop using their noses.

Could be the dog, or dogs, just ran out of steam.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member