Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, welcome on board Andymoz! :) I’d be super interested to hear any insights, opinions, hunches, “vibes” etc you may be able to offer Re what could potentially be occurring in the “dance” between media and police?! (hypothetically, theoretically…. ;) )

Last edited:
Thanks Minaka. Yes I’ve also wondered how much of these recent “searches” may be (possibly) “staged”…. ?

It does seem like a lot to expect a dog to detect and potentially retrieve a SIM card from a water tank, pond, dam, lake or other waterway…

But I don’t know enough about these matters…
Technology Detector dogs recently undertook a very successful technology search of the home of Erin Patterson, the alleged murderer of three people in Leongatha, Victoria. (Case discussed on Websleuths. It sounds as though they're very smart, (especially "Alma") but JMO, technology items in water would be a bridge too far (I hope I'm wrong.) MOO

Last edited:
The problem with locating a body in Ballarat is, there are endless options. I've spotted so, so many water tanks, dams, mines (active or not), forest, industrial areas, sink holes, the Yarrowee River. The list goes on.
I apologise in advance for the graphic nature of this question Websleuthers, but can anyone comment on how a deceased body would theoretically decompose in water? And how quickly? What would the chances be of detecting a decomposing body in a large waterway? Sorry this question is so revolting but I’m just wondering what the police’s chances would be of detecting and retrieving Samantha’s body from a waterway? Would water creatures (ie., amphibians, leeches etc) potentially ingest and destroy tissue? I’m guessing traces of dna, body fluids etc would be impossible to identify? And most likely also physical injuries?

Last edited:
I can’t track back far enough but someone mentioned it was a msm who hit the dog by accident ? Anyone confirm?
When it happened, I missed the info of Ruby being injured and details of it. I only noticed "family dog Ruby suddenly dead" after his owner disappeared. MSM means one of the media companies?

It could be related to evidence/forensic in the accused's car, vegetation, dirt etc

I have a feeling the accused could have filmed what happened to Samantha

which the police would then confirm she is dead

And be certain the accused has murdered SM

Even without a body

but the background, possibly in the video, could relate to the search area

with types of trees being shown, landscape layout etc

I still think there is more to this, something isn't right
Nifty, I think you are spot on. Something isn't right here. Seems that a lot of kids these days video themselves doing illegal or stupid things. And don't mind sharing or putting on social media. They certainly do here on the Goldie. That is how they get caught. I am guessing the police have the accused phone with a wealth of information.

I apologise in advance for the graphic nature of this question Websleuthers, but can anyone comment on how a deceased body would theoretically decompose in water? And how quickly? What would the chances be of detecting a decomposing body in a large waterway? Sorry this question is so revolting but I’m just wondering what the police’s chances would be of detecting and retrieving Samantha’s body from a waterway?

ProfCluezo: Look up the case of Dakota James and the Smiley Face Killers. It goes into great detail about decomposition in water.

There is no question that is revolting. That's crime and that's why we are here. It's what the police deal with every day. We are not here for a knitting group, no need to apologize.

Last edited:
Followed enough missing persons cases in Australia to believe it isn’t difficult or clever to hide a body, just evil.

Edit to add: The police are 100% going to find Samantha IMO
I agree somewhat, however there are a few high profile cases where no body has been found. Peter Falconia and the old fella and his dog who lived in a town of 11 people. Both in the NT. All you need to do is go to a remote place with lots of huge rocks and drop a body down there. Never to be found unless the alleged murderer takes police to the location. Oz is a big country with lots of remote areas where no human has ever been.

Thanks Minaka. Yes I’ve also wondered how much of these recent “searches” may be (possibly) “staged”…. ?

It does seem like a lot to expect a dog to detect and potentially retrieve a SIM card from a water tank, pond, dam, lake or other waterway…

But I don’t know enough about these matters…
Some breeds of dog can be taught anything. I owned a beagle. He could easily be trained to do anything due to his love of treats. And being a sniffer dog, could find anything that he was trained to find.

Nifty, I think you are spot on. Something isn't right here. Seems that a lot of kids these days video themselves doing illegal or stupid things. And don't mind sharing or putting on social media. They certainly do here on the Goldie. That is how they get caught. I am guessing the police have the accused phone with a wealth of information.
When you delete something off a phone, SD card, hard drive etc.. it's still actually there and can be retrieved. Deleting just makes it invisible and new data can overwrite it at some point.

My original post was deleted because: "Reason: photos require a link". Fair enough, but sometimes you need to add a caption, or arrow or indicate something. Regardless, I've now added the required links. There were alleged reports of Recreation Road being shut off due to a police operation.

I will now re-post the only items of interest in this area with added links, on the allegedly shutdown road. There are only a few, which makes it more interesting.

The water tank.

Water tank Recreation Road sat view.jpgWater tank Recreation Road street view.jpg

Links:

Link to overhead view of water tank

Link to street view of water tank

Then I found a possible sink hole.

Recreation road - Sink hole.jpg

link to google maps of sink hole

And a dam.

Boad Rd Dam.jpg

Link to google earth of dam

For other information about bodies in water tanks, it might be interesting to search google and a case in Los Angeles.

ProfCluezo: Look up the case of Dakota James and the Smiley Face Killers. It goes into great detail about decomposition in water.

There is no question that is revolting. That's crime and that's why we are here. It's what the police deal with every day. We are not here for a knitting group, no need to apologize.
Thanks so much Minaka - really appreciate the case suggestions… :).

And good to know that trigger warnings aren’t required on this site - I wasn’t quite sure of the etiquette…. Your analogy of the knitting group made me laugh so hard!!! Great medicine, thank you - haha :D -

Last edited:
If PS payed in a questionable way too much attention to the misfortune of family dog Ruby, then he could have given himself away. He hasn't to be the one, who hit the poor dog (and indeed, he wasn't). But a video on SM, a pic on SM, a comment on SM .... maybe it was one of his mistakes. A bit too much interest from a 22yo, who may have already been discussed as being a ruffian in some detective office. MOO

I
My original post was deleted because: "Reason: photos require a link". Fair enough, but sometimes you need to add a caption, or arrow or indicate something. Regardless, I've now added the required links. There were alleged reports of Recreation Road being shut off due to a police operation.

I will now re-post the only items of interest in this area with added links, on the allegedly shutdown road. There are only a few, which makes it more interesting.

The water tank.

View attachment 492017View attachment 492018

Links:

Link to overhead view of water tank

Link to street view of water tank

Then I found a possible sink hole.

View attachment 492019

link to google maps of sink hole

And a dam.

View attachment 492020

Link to google earth of dam

For other information about bodies in water tanks, it might be interesting to search google and a case in Los Angeles.
I would discount that water tank as a hiding place for a body …. It’s roughly 5 metres high with a permanent steel cover making entry impossible .

Does anyone remember the names of the streets in Mount Clear that were searched by police after PS was arrested? There has been no more mention about it.

Open to this theory, but assuming you are correct, why do you think the police are continuing to do so many searches still around Mt Clear?

Where do you think the remains of the electronic devices would be?

And how far beyond Ballarat are you hypothesising the body is buried?

Are you suggesting that the accused had no interest in keeping at least some of Samantha’s personal possessions? No desire for “trophies”?

While I’m open to all theories, my sense is that even if it was an impulsive act it did not come from nowhere. I suspect the accused had preexisting propensities towards violence regardless of whether the alleged murder was planned or impulsive. Things like an insecure attachment style, longstanding insecurities in sense of self, impulse regulation difficulties, labile moods etc. But all entirely just my opinion.

IMO I think police are starting closest to home and in the general vicinity of leads pings/CCTV footage they have before moving outwards with their searches. I think PS left SM's body on Boak Rd initially, a quiet track with thick vegetation right next to the road that is heavily rutted and rough for the average car, his car being more than capable. He leaves and thinks more carefully about where to properly conceal her body. I think PS destroys and disposes the remnants of SM's belongings that afternoon (the 5pm ping being either a red herring or complete accident). I think he moves SM that afternoon/night, either alone or with the help of someone, leaving his phone at home. I feel he has headed somewhere more remote to bury her body, under an hour away. I'm unsure about trophies.. If he decided to keep a trophy I think it's not a piece of technology and likely a piece of jewellery, clothing or snippit of hair? However, given his age I think PS is more likely to have taken a photographic keepsake at the initial scene. Only my opinion and "the vibe of the thing" Prof!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damnthatsux