Sam's Club restricts purchases of certain types of rice

More or less! LOL I have a 2005 Envoy I was actually looking to purcahse a mini van when I got this one but I ended up with this instead. It just has a large tank, I get really good fuel miles. My tank is 22 or so gallons.

Wow, I never thought you'd get that with an Envoy. I drive a Hyundai Sante Fe and get 25 mpg. You're not far behind but your vehicle is bigger. BTW...that happened to me at the station too AND I was using my credit card as well. Really ticked me off. I'm paying nearly $4 gallon where I live and THEY are cutting me off at $75. Cut the darn prices! Thankfully, my only commutes involve school and soccer mom stuff right now. :)

Try explaining that to the folks whose families orgininated in Asia, Mexico or any number of other places where rice is a mainstay.

I said "too many". These countries balance their dishes with protein amounts large enough to balance the insulin levels in their bodies. Especially Asia, with lean cuts of fish. Back then people actually had to hunt and gather their food. They sometimes went hours or days without eating, yet today you can throw a stone and hit a place that has food there for you.

The food pyramid a few years ago said we need to eat 6-8 servings of breads/carbs. These days we need to eat more meat or consume more dairy. Every few years these pyramids change, and they're the result of food industry lobbyists.

Wow, I never thought you'd get that with an Envoy. I drive a Hyundai Sante Fe and get 25 mpg. You're not far behind but your vehicle is bigger. BTW...that happened to me at the station too AND I was using my credit card as well. Really ticked me off. I'm paying nearly $4 gallon where I live and THEY are cutting me off at $75. Cut the darn prices! Thankfully, my only commutes involve school and soccer mom stuff right now. :)

I think she meant her tank holds 22 galons of gas.

What is next to be rationed? Yesterday I went to the pump to get gasoline and the pump cut me off @ $75, I asked the woman running the store why and she told me that was all that was allowed at one time and all gasoline transactions were pay at the pump or pre-pay. I do not know if that is rationing or just protecting the store from drive off's- charge backs or all of the above.

Click

(they place a hold on your account for $75.00 when you use your debit card to get gas, no matter how much you get)

Went back and re-read and you are right. I thought that was awfully good for an Envoy. LOL Thanks Paladin!
LOL The Envoy gets 19.9 MPG which is a lot better than my other SUV, I have a 1998 Ford Expedition that only gets 16 MPG and have a 1997 Trans AM that gets 22 if I keep my foot out of the gas, but its too tempting to play in it when there is no traffic. It has a LT1 Corvette engine with a chip, that car is just too much fun. But expensivce to repair. I would be driving it but I messed up the transmission and am having problem locating one that matches up without having to buy a remanufactured one, I have been trying to save some money and get one from a junk yard or someone selling off parts.

I said "too many". These countries balance their dishes with protein amounts large enough to balance the insulin levels in their bodies. Especially Asia, with lean cuts of fish. Back then people actually had to hunt and gather their food. They sometimes went hours or days without eating, yet today you can throw a stone and hit a place that has food there for you.

The food pyramid a few years ago said we need to eat 6-8 servings of breads/carbs. These days we need to eat more meat or consume more dairy. Every few years these pyramids change, and they're the result of food industry lobbyists.

You said you didn't understand why people were freaking out. There are families who have rice with every meal. They may well be freaking out.

You said you didn't understand why people were freaking out. There are families who have rice with every meal. They may well be freaking out.

So what are you arguing with me about, nutrition or economics?

4 bags a visit is ALOT though. The rice bags are huge that Sams sells. I used to go there and buy the basmati because one bag would last at least two months. We eat rice at least 2-3 times a week and thats for a family of 5.

I agree---it's alot of rice in each bag, and four bags is probably a year supply even for Southeners who eat rice almost daily.

I think this will have more of an impact on small restaurants/caterers and the like. But I absolutely HATE to think anything is being rationed in my lifetime! That is unreal to me, has the feel of a bad dream.

I think this will have more of an impact on small restaurants/caterers and the like. But I absolutely HATE to think anything is being rationed in my lifetime! That is unreal to me, has the feel of a bad dream.

I'm not overly surprised. I think this world has a population right now that it can't sustain.

But I absolutely HATE to think anything is being rationed in my lifetime! That is unreal to me, has the feel of a bad dream.

It's very unusual for us, but actually common elsewhere. We're pretty lucky not to have to deal with that type of thing.

Even here, the US has rationed goods and services during World War II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WWII_USA_Ration_Book_3_Front.jpg

I think you'll see a resurgence in home gardening if the trend continues. You're right though, the thought of food shortages is disturbing.

For those of us who can plant a garden, should. We are finishing up ours today and I plan on freezing and canning everything we grow.
It is just a matter of time before rationing is a part of our lives.
Food being grown to make fuel is just insane to me but now it is a fact of life.

We do not eat a lot of rice but I do have some stored away, along with dried beans.

My husband told me last night he was gonna go buy a case of SPAM "just in case" LOL! I pray he is only joking! :rolleyes:

Hubby and I love rice...especially the throw-it-in-the-microwave-zap-for-90-seconds-and-its-done kind. We'll eat it straight outta the bag.
I've never had jasmine or basmati rice though.

People in Haiti are expected to go hungry due to the price of pastas doubling. It's a main part of their diet and what they could afford.

Where I live, I see bumper stickers saying "Eat More Rice." (We grow rice around here.) I grew up in a home where rice filled our tummies nicely --we were even allowed to eat it "Yankee style" with sugar AND butter.

We can handle an increase in price in our homes and it's still a very frugal choice. But for millions of other people in the world, it's not.

Apparently many farmers stopped growing rice when they could not afford fuel costs, fertilizer, etc. So this is not a population problem. It's merely an issue of supply vs. demand and the cost of production.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BISHWHETT
Back