SC SC - Annette Deanne Sagers, 11, Mount Holly, 4 Oct 1988

Annette was seen at the bus stop shelter with her dog around 7am; when the bus came by 20 minutes later, she was gone. Does anyone know what happened to the dog? Was the dog alone at the shelter when the bus came by? Did the dog return home on his own, or was the dog never seen again, either? I wonder what kind of dog it was, and if it would have been protective of her around strangers?

Also, if Korinna is alive and did choose to run and not contact family in all this time, is it likely that she would put up a FB page with her real first name?

One last thing: I don't have kids, so I don't know anything about the laws surrounding custody: if Korinna was the one who took Annette, would she have reason to worry about charges of custodial interference or parental kidnapping? I mean, I know that a parent has the right to take their own kids...but is there a legal problem with keeping them from the other parent if the parents were still living together prior? Or is it only a legal issue if there's a specific custody order in place at the time? (Not that it sounds like Steve was all that concerned with being a parent, but could Korinna have worried that he would make an issue out of it just to be a jerk?)

IMO, IF Mom came back it was to get all three kids but for whatever reason could only grab Annette. If this were true, I believe she would have gone back for the boys. Anyone who could figure out a way to successfully hide all these years would have had the smarts to figure out a way to get her boys.
IMO, something bad happened to both Mom and Annette and stepdad was probably involved.

I don't know if she was afraid of her father. Korrina never knew her mother she was only a few months old when her mother died. And my grandmother Nina raised her and her brother like her own. The father came and took them back though. My grandmother had them a few times. I wish my grandmother was here to talk to.
How was Korinna's father able to take the kids back after killing their mother? Did he not do much/any prison time for that? I'm just kind of boggled that killing the other parent wouldn't mean the loss of any parental rights to the kids (although I know that probably happens all the time).

I am a distant relative of Korrina and Annette's. I am part of her Iowa family. My grandmother helped raise Korrina for awhile after her father killed her mother. My grandmother was Korrina's mothers' first cousin. My grandmother died not knowing what happened to them. I would love to find out what happened to them. I am only a year older than Annette. I am no crime solver and would love all of your help in this. I would love to talk to her brothers any time. My mother is in contact with Korrina's brother Lee (Leon Sagers). I am sorry I have been off for a long time.
To Tommy, I do have a few pictures of your mother when she was young. I can't find any of her after the age of maybe 14 and that picture is blurry. Lee has stated that he gave all of his to the police department of her and they won't give them back until the case is closed.
Thank you
Heather.

It is good to see that you are back on this site. I saw your message and tried to reply, but could not because your mailbox is full. I think I found you on FB, could you accept my request.

I am so happy to see this case gaining interest recently, and to have some family members posting here!

This case is so puzzling.

Does anyone know if the police suspected Steve (dad/husband) in 1987 and 1988 but lacked evidence... or was he cleared?

Just speculating, I am sure that he was suspected of both disappearances and not cleared of either, but you cannot address any charges for suspicions.

I was under the impression that KM was the stepmom of SM's boys. If KM came back for Annette, why would she not take the boys? Did LE not know the boys were KM's biological sons?

No, Korrina (KM) was our biological mother. Yes, it is assumed that she came back for Annette. I am sure that is was easier for her to come back for Annette because she was alone at the bus stop. That being said, how would she come and get my brother and I, if we were with Steve. I know that Leon (LE) knew that we were her biological sons because I have spoken to him personally.

By the way, prior to my brother and I, there were many fights and arguments between Steve (SM) and Korrina (KM). Korrina called one of my uncles and said she hit Steve over the head with a frying pan and knocked him out. The night she disappeared, they had an argument. Later that evening, she jumped into the car and drove it to the edge of the plantation and left the car with the doors wide open.

Annette was seen at the bus stop shelter with her dog around 7am; when the bus came by 20 minutes later, she was gone. Does anyone know what happened to the dog? Was the dog alone at the shelter when the bus came by? Did the dog return home on his own, or was the dog never seen again, either? I wonder what kind of dog it was, and if it would have been protective of her around strangers?

Also, if Korinna is alive and did choose to run and not contact family in all this time, is it likely that she would put up a FB page with her real first name?

One last thing: I don't have kids, so I don't know anything about the laws surrounding custody: if Korinna was the one who took Annette, would she have reason to worry about charges of custodial interference or parental kidnapping? I mean, I know that a parent has the right to take their own kids...but is there a legal problem with keeping them from the other parent if the parents were still living together prior? Or is it only a legal issue if there's a specific custody order in place at the time? (Not that it sounds like Steve was all that concerned with being a parent, but could Korinna have worried that he would make an issue out of it just to be a jerk?)

Steve had no rights as a parent over Annette. She was Korrina's daughter from another man, and she had no relation to Steve, except the obvious legal one from their marriage. At the time of her disappearance, family was attempting to get custody over Annette. It was shortly after her disappearance, that the custody hearing was supposed to take place. The legal process for custody over Annette began shortly after Korrina's disappearance.

IMO, IF Mom came back it was to get all three kids but for whatever reason could only grab Annette. If this were true, I believe she would have gone back for the boys. Anyone who could figure out a way to successfully hide all these years would have had the smarts to figure out a way to get her boys.
IMO, something bad happened to both Mom and Annette and stepdad was probably involved.

Yes, it may have been possible for her to come back and get my brother and I if she had planned it. However, shortly after the disappearance of Annette, Steve packed us up and quickly moved us to Florida.All this is being said, if it was in fact Korrina that took Annette. I hope they are both alive and well and to find them soon.

I would love to know more about step-dad's personality.

We know he willing gave up parental rights of his sons after moving to FL. Can you tell us why the boys were removed from his custody? (I'm sorry - If that is too painful, of course, you don't have to answer.)

Did I count that he has children by four different women?

Does he have a history of domestic violence? (Or are we even allowed to sleuth that?)

Yes, it may have been possible for her to come back and get my brother and I if she had planned it. However, shortly after the disappearance of Annette, Steve packed us up and quickly moved us to Florida.All this is being said, if it was in fact Korrina that took Annette. I hope they are both alive and well and to find them soon.

That is exactly what I was thinking. It was much easier to come back for Annette. She was alone at the bus stop and would have recognized her mom. The boys, after a year, may not have even recognized her. Plus, it would be VERY difficult to get them in a spot where she could recover them.

Combined with step dad taking off to Florida, it would be very difficult for mom to come back after that.

I would love to know more about step-dad's personality.

We know he willing gave up parental rights of his sons after moving to FL. Can you tell us why the boys were removed from his custody? (I'm sorry - If that is too painful, of course, you don't have to answer.)

Did I count that he has children by four different women?

Does he have a history of domestic violence? (Or are we even allowed to sleuth that?)

Story after Annette's Disappearance

As everybody knows, we moved to Florida (Steve, my brother and I) to live with our grandparents. I do remember living with an older couple when I was younger and Steve was still around. It did not last long because we moved again. We were living in the projects with Steve. One day, my brother and I asked Steve, if we could go to a friend's house. He was in the bathroom and said verbatim, "Yes. I'll be over in a second." He never showed up. Late that night or really early (between 11pm and 2am roughly) our friend's mom called the coips and they came and picked us up. I tried to tell them where he might be, but we only had limited time and they said "We have to get back to the station." My brother and I slept in a cell for a night after eating a late night snack. The next morning we woke up in a car on our way to our first foster home. My brother and I went through 4 foster homes and 1 group home together. He quickly became known as the "problem child" and was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and put on medication. He was sent to a problem child group home on three separate occasions which split us up for periods of time.However, as soon as we would move the the next foster home, we would move there together.

During our stay at our second foster home, we started having visitations with Steve, which did not last. He told us he was seeking help for his drug addictions when he had disappeared that night. The last time I remember seeing him, was the day the he gave up his right as a parent (1989 I believe).

Like I have posted recently, I have spoken to Steve on one occasion since then. I was just calling to see if I could pull any information about Korrina out of him and to find out about any family medical history I should know about.

When we were adopted (1998), our new parents told us that they were told that the state of Florida was still paying for his rehabilitation bills. Whether or not he is clean and sober now is really none of my business. I really do not care and do not want anything to do with him, unless I absolutely have to try to get information from him.

Steve, has many children. Once again, Annette has no biological relation to Steve. Steve had two daughters with two different women before marrying Korrina. He and Korrina have my brother and I. After giving up his rights, he found another woman and married her and now has three kids (two more sons and a daughter).

About the domestic violence, I do not particularly know about that. I do not remember my mother at all, nor do I remember seeing or hearing any fights or arguments. I do know, from being told from aunts and uncles, Korrina and Steve fought and argued on a regular basis.

If that is Tommy's mother in the FB photo (and only Tommy can tell us if she is or is not), she may not feel like she has to run anymore. Annette would now be an adult, and Korinna didn't commit any crime in taking her and disappearing.

But, since Tommy is not saying, "Hey, I think that might be her!" this morning, I guess that means it's not her.

Lost Son, I am so sorry to hear about you and your brothers childhoods. It is heartbreaking. You make a good point about your Mom not being able to come back for you since you were moved. It gives me hope.

If that is Tommy's mother in the FB photo (and only Tommy can tell us if she is or is not), she may not feel like she has to run anymore. Annette would now be an adult, and Korinna didn't commit any crime in taking her and disappearing.

But, since Tommy is not saying, "Hey, I think that might be her!" this morning, I guess that means it's not her.

Well I am still not sure that it is her. I have seen that FB profile and am still investigating. I have spoken to Steve's brother and sister-in-law and he said it does not recognize her and does not believe that it is her. I have also talked to Korrina's brother to get another confirmation (yea or nea) if it might be her. The FB Korrina does have a few friends named Annette as well. I am still waiting for her to accept friend request, but I have been talking to a few of Annette's classmates and one of them is now a friend of the FB Korrina. That is how I got the information. I am just waiting for her to get back to me on the research of this lady's profile and friends list.

BTW.... I really cannot tell you if it her because I do not remember my mother because she disappeared when I was 3 and I do not even remember even a face. I have only seen pictures of her since i have been in contact with family (about 3-4 years now). Also, once again, Annette was Korrina's daughter from a previous relationship.

Lost Son, I am so sorry to hear about you and your brothers childhoods. It is heartbreaking. You make a good point about your Mom not being able to come back for you since you were moved. It gives me hope.

This is far from praising Steve, but I am thankful that he let us go. My brother and I have had a much better life than we could have had if we stayed with him. We both graduated from high school and are Marine veterans with a few Iraq deployments under our belts. I just recently graduated college, bought a house, got a dog, and have already started my own family. My brother is doing well and has taken some college courses, but has yet to solidify a choice on a major. Also, the family that adopted us gave us all we (not wanted but) needed to become who we are today. My brother and I decided when we were young to not use our past as a crutch or become a statistic. Majority of the kids we grew up with did not take a similar path and have become the statistics that you hear in the news everyday.

Back to the Dog at the bus stop , was the dog left ?.....I cant see a mother coming back for the daughter and leaving the dog behind like that (yes I know everyone is not a dog person, but a girl and her dog......) I think what I am saying is, would they have left the dog?

This is far from praising Steve, but I am thankful that he let us go. My brother and I have had a much better life than we could have had if we stayed with him. We both graduated from high school and are Marine veterans with a few Iraq deployments under our belts. I just recently graduated college, bought a house, got a dog, and have already started my own family. My brother is doing well and has taken some college courses, but has yet to solidify a choice on a major. Also, the family that adopted us gave us all we (not wanted but) needed to become who we are today. My brother and I decided when we were young to not use our past as a crutch or become a statistic. Majority of the kids we grew up with did not take a similar path and have become the statistics that you hear in the news everyday.

It's really admirable how you and your brother have overcome so much adversity. Your mother may have had plans to come back for you and your brother when she was only able to grab Annette in Oct. 4 1988 (assuming that this is what happened) and may have been frustrated to return and realize that y'all had left the area.

I would also like to know the fate of the dog on the morning of October 4, 1988. If the dog was waiting at the bus stop with Annette that morning, what was the dog going to do when the bus arrived, just head home by himself? Perhaps it was an "outside dog" that looked after himself & went as he pleased? I wonder if this was a dog that Korrina would also have had a connection to (did Annette have this dog prior to Korrina's disappearance). I guess even if it was Korrina who picked up Annette it could be difficult to travel with a dog in tow (especially a larger one)... it can make it more difficult to find lodging, provide food, etc. She could have chosen to leave the dog behind for the boys? I am just thinking out loud here... babbling non-sensically!

I wonder if LE still has that note in evidence? If so, I wonder if they ever tested it for finger prints. Step-dad's fingerprints should not be anywhere on the note if Annette wrote it.

If Step Dad did something to her, having her write that note was a brilliant move. It was like a get out of jail free card. It would plant reasonable doubt in the mind of any juror.

as horrible as this sounds, do you think the dog was killed to silence it from making any sounds that day she disappeared? I mean how else can you figure out where the dog went?

If Annette went with her mom, the dog probably went with them. Do we really see Korrina killing her daughter's dog? If they did kill it to silence it, would there really have been time to hide the carcass? And if they were just going to leave it, there wouldn't really be a reason to kill it in the first place until Annette got in the car and closed the door on it, in which case Mom and daughter would have been on their way anyway.

Same thing for any possible bad guys. Grab the girl and the dog makes more sense rather than grab the girl, kill the dog, hide the carcass, etc.

If bad people or Korrina grabbed the dog and killed it later to take care of the nuisance, than it's moot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back