Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
that comment is so unbelievably disturbing! absolutely ridiculous for someone to post something so completely idiotic & disrespectful.. not only to Brittanee & her family, but the rest of the girls he mentioned that are STILL no where to be found.

I'm leaving for MB in just two weeks exactly. Brittanee's case is really the only case I check up on actively, because I want her family to have answers so bad, and they need them soon. I'm not sure of the feeling I'm going to have while there... especially since it's been three years, and still no arrest.. it's kind of like passing every person on the street and wondering if they had something to do with it, or if they know something they aren't saying.. you just never know. Even though RM has been identified as the prime POI, they still haven't mentioned any solid evidence that ties him directly to Britt's disappearance.. what if it isn't him? If it's not, I'm sure there are a million other creeps just like him roaming around in the area. It's just sickening to think of.

Praying for Britt's family, and closure for them as soon as possible!

that comment is so unbelievably disturbing! absolutely ridiculous for someone to post something so completely idiotic & disrespectful.. not only to Brittanee & her family, but the rest of the girls he mentioned that are STILL no where to be found.

I'm leaving for MB in just two weeks exactly. Brittanee's case is really the only case I check up on actively, because I want her family to have answers so bad, and they need them soon. I'm not sure of the feeling I'm going to have while there... especially since it's been three years, and still no arrest.. it's kind of like passing every person on the street and wondering if they had something to do with it, or if they know something they aren't saying.. you just never know. Even though RM has been identified as the prime POI, they still haven't mentioned any solid evidence that ties him directly to Britt's disappearance.. what if it isn't him? If it's not, I'm sure there are a million other creeps just like him roaming around in the area. It's just sickening to think of.

Praying for Britt's family, and closure for them as soon as possible!

BBM

Does RM have connections to the 3-4 persons of interest from McClellanville? If not, I wonder if they have been ruled out altogether?

Do they have two different possibilities in mind or do they think these suspects know each other? Or is RM one of the 3-4 persons of interest mentioned before?

Just pondering out loud, not asking you directly Christina. Just using your post as a springboard.

BBM

Does RM have connections to the 3-4 persons of interest from McClellanville? If not, I wonder if they have been ruled out altogether?

Do they have two different possibilities in mind or do they think these suspects know each other? Or is RM one of the 3-4 persons of interest mentioned before?

Just pondering out loud, not asking you directly Christina. Just using your post as a springboard.

That's a good question! I've always wondered about the people from McClellanville.. It was like we heard about that area being searched for a good amount of time, and then as soon as RM came into play, we heard nothing else. I think RM is only one out of the 3-4 POI's they've mentioned, and I don't think he's associated with any of them.. the other ones may know each other. RM just seems like a bit of a loner.. doesn't seem like someone who would have many friends. When his name was put out in the media everywhere, he didn't have anyone as far as friends or family members sticking up for him or defending him.

I would agree that RM seems like a bit of a loner. It is my understanding when he got out of prison he moved to Georgetown, SC because his parents lived there. He was obviously still attached to them. I wonder if they are still alive? I would guess they are getting older since he is in his 50's. I wish I knew if they lived in town or lived on a farm?

WoW I think you may have won a award for the Websleuths Longest Post.. lol

Quality, not quantity, IMO - and boy did Christina691's post get me thinking....good post, Christina, the thanks button wasn't enough on this one....

Brittanee,
Still thinking of you and praying you will be home soon<3

Hi everyone! Hi Lindsay! Yepp, that was me, I had the opportunity to talk to them a while back... If I recall, they're a middle aged couple from Sullivan's Island (Charleston)

I wish I knew more about those sunglasses... No one has ever stated definitively whether or not they have anything to do with Brittanee... I even wrote the state's forensics lab (SLED) and asked if they have ANY information or tests results to share -- nothing :(

Also, I have never heard anything in media tying Raymond M to the "3 - 4 POIs"

My assumption has always been that the "3 - 4 POIs" from the North Santee area, were the same people arrested (and later released) for the murder of Shannon McConaughey. I don't think Raymond M is/was part of that group. My opinion/interpretation only ;)

:cheers:

Just checking in before catching up. I see some new posts I need to read, but I wanted to address what we were chatting about before. I forget which poster it was who talked to the folks who found Brittanee's sunglasses. Was that you mlatta? Are you around?

Hi everyone! Hi Lindsay! Yepp, that was me, I had the opportunity to talk to them a while back... If I recall, they're a middle aged couple from Sullivan's Island (Charleston)

I wish I knew more about those sunglasses... No one has ever stated definitively whether or not they have anything to do with Brittanee... I even wrote the state's forensics lab (SLED) and asked if they have ANY information or tests results to share -- nothing :(

Also, I have never heard anything in media tying Raymond M to the "3 - 4 POIs"

My assumption has always been that the "3 - 4 POIs" from the North Santee area, were the same people arrested (and later released) for the murder of Shannon McConaughey. I don't think Raymond M is/was part of that group. My opinion/interpretation only ;)

:cheers:

Hi everybody, hi mlatta, hi Britt :)

Good to see you! Thanks for refreshing my memory. I figured it was you, but I didn't want to say that and then be wrong!

Someone official should address the sunglass issue. I know I've stated this in the past, and I don't have any factual information to back this up, but I feel that the glasses are Brittanee's. IMO, it is too coincidental provided they do match the glasses she had in MB. :twocents:

It's good to hear what you think about RM being connected to the T-clan. I have the same opinion. It was just a passing thought when I posted it, but I really don't feel as though these people are of the same persuasion. Creeps, perhaps, but I doubt they "run" together.

On another note, Brittanee's younger sister is on my Facebook page and lately she has been really struggling. I feel so terrible for everything her and her family has to go through. I really wish something could be done, but I know that short of bringing Britt home, not much will help. It is so heartbreaking to see.

Hope everyone is well. See you soon.

Keep the :praying: going.

I would tend to agree with the sunglasses being Brittanee's. I wonder if law enforcement looked into any stores in Myrtle Beach selling sunglasses like those? I have no idea what Prada is but I would think a teenage girl would know and from what I have read Brittanee was into the fashion thing. The only thing I have read on the location of where the sunglasses were found was between Highway 17 and Old Georgetown road on the North Santee River. I have read they were found on the banks of the river and have also read they were found in the woods near the river. It would be nice to know the exact location of where the glasses were found like a dot on a map exact and whether they were found on the river bank or in the woods.

[[This was from thread #7, took me all morning to find this!]]

You will also see a couple pictures attached... the sunglasses in question, and 2 maps with the approximate location where the sunglasses were found.

------------------

(First week of December 2009 - quoted from various media outlets) A couple from Charleston County who were camping in the area found the sunglasses in a wooded section of riverbank along the North Santee River in Georgetown County. The Varns found the glasses on the western side of the Santee Delta, a state-protected wildlife refuge made up of thousands and thousands of acres. The glasses will be sent to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division which will try to gather and analyze any DNA that's present on the sunglasses.

March 20, 2010 - I made a FoIA request (attached) to SC SLED (State Law Enforcement Division)

April 2, 2010 - received a letter (attached) from SLED stating they had no records of of these sunglasses under the name "Britanee Marie Drexel" (sic)

April 5, 2010 - I am contacted by phone by an official of SLED, stating, contrary to the letter, that they had "Lab Results" and would process my request ASAP

April 12, 2010 - (Quoted from http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local...l_case/118048/) "“The sunglass is a piece of evidence but right now, from what the investigators have, the sunglass does not have anything to do with leading back to these individuals,“ said Johnson."

April 13, 2010 - I contacted SLED by phone, and was told that my request is still being processed and that I will be contacted as soon as any information is made available.

after that --NOTHING--

Attachments

• DREXSHADES.jpg
    DREXSHADES.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 39
  • appx_location_glasses.jpg
    appx_location_glasses.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 30
  • appx_location_glasses2.jpg
    appx_location_glasses2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 25
I've been following a couple of the other cases here on WS and a lot of people think that Brittanee may be able to be grouped together with a bunch of other current missing persons cases. Here's a link to one web site that talks about this.

http://pibillwarner.wordpress.com/

Britt's picture is in a collage with a bunch of other girls approximately halfway down the page.

It seems unlikely to me, but has anyone explored this option in their head?

I explored it earlier in the week, LLLindsayy. I was (am) keeping up with the Kelli Bordeaux case & someone had linked that information there.

I remember the first time I read that information, I blew it off thinking how silly it sounded. That was 6 months ago or so. Now, reading it again, I realize it is possible. Random, imo? Yes. However, it is possible. I realize that I can't make my brain work like the killers could/would, so I'm trying to put my type of logic where there isn't such logic.

You will also see a couple pictures attached... the sunglasses in question, and 2 maps with the approximate location where the sunglasses were found.

------------------

(First week of December 2009 - quoted from various media outlets) A couple from Charleston County who were camping in the area found the sunglasses in a wooded section of riverbank along the North Santee River in Georgetown County. The Varns found the glasses on the western side of the Santee Delta, a state-protected wildlife refuge made up of thousands and thousands of acres. The glasses will be sent to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division which will try to gather and analyze any DNA that's present on the sunglasses.

March 20, 2010 - I made a FoIA request (attached) to SC SLED (State Law Enforcement Division)

April 2, 2010 - received a letter (attached) from SLED stating they had no records of of these sunglasses under the name "Britanee Marie Drexel" (sic)

April 5, 2010 - I am contacted by phone by an official of SLED, stating, contrary to the letter, that they had "Lab Results" and would process my request ASAP

April 12, 2010 - (Quoted from http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local...l_case/118048/) "&#8220;The sunglass is a piece of evidence but right now, from what the investigators have, the sunglass does not have anything to do with leading back to these individuals,&#8220; said Johnson."

April 13, 2010 - I contacted SLED by phone, and was told that my request is still being processed and that I will be contacted as soon as any information is made available.

after that --NOTHING--

I think it's time for another call. JMO

------------------

April 12, 2010 - (Quoted from http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local...l_case/118048/) "&#8220;The sunglass is a piece of evidence but right now, from what the investigators have, the sunglass does not have anything to do with leading back to these individuals,&#8220; said Johnson."

after that --NOTHING--

These photos with the approximate area that the sunglasses were found are great. The first thing I noticed is the close proximity to Highway 17 so I pulled up Google Earth to take a look. I can see a gravel road adjacent to the area where the sunglasses were found. I also see a building of some sort with possible access to the river but cannot tell due to it being so wooded. The gravel road runs .5 miles west turns south for 1 mile then turns back east .5 miles to Highway 17. I measured the distance from this gravel road to the river and at a few points is it only a couple hundred feet from the river. It is my understanding from what I have read is that the couple who found the sunglasses were walking on the riverbank looking for firewood. If they were walking on the riverbank the river must have been lower than normal which exposed the riverbank. This makes for some easy walking along the river's edge without using a lot of energy versus walking in the woods. I wonder if the river was at this level in April 2009 as I understand they found the sunglasses 8 or 9 months later that year. The area the red line marks on the photos is only a quarter of a mile to 1 mile from Highway 17. If someone wanted to discard a pair of sunglasses or other items why not just throw them off of the bridge? I've looked at the glasses as best as I can via the internet and I would think if they washed up on the river bank they would have spent some time in the river itself. But I do not see any rusting of the hinges on the sunglasses. Since they were found on the south shore of the river they probably would have been in the shade or mostly shaded during the day due to the sun's angle and the area being wooded. Has anyone come forward and said that these sunglasses are theirs and they dropped them? As much as this has been in the media in the Myrtle Beach area I would think if someone else in the area dropped them they would have come forward. The other thing that gets me with these glasses is the obvious label of Prada on the side. Who would wear or know what Prada is or would even care? A teen girl who is into fashion and the like.

These photos with the approximate area that the sunglasses were found are great. The first thing I noticed is the close proximity to Highway 17 so I pulled up Google Earth to take a look. I can see a gravel road adjacent to the area where the sunglasses were found. I also see a building of some sort with possible access to the river but cannot tell due to it being so wooded. The gravel road runs .5 miles west turns south for 1 mile then turns back east .5 miles to Highway 17. I measured the distance from this gravel road to the river and at a few points is it only a couple hundred feet from the river. It is my understanding from what I have read is that the couple who found the sunglasses were walking on the riverbank looking for firewood. If they were walking on the riverbank the river must have been lower than normal which exposed the riverbank. This makes for some easy walking along the river's edge without using a lot of energy versus walking in the woods. I wonder if the river was at this level in April 2009 as I understand they found the sunglasses 8 or 9 months later that year. The area the red line marks on the photos is only a quarter of a mile to 1 mile from Highway 17. If someone wanted to discard a pair of sunglasses or other items why not just throw them off of the bridge? I've looked at the glasses as best as I can via the internet and I would think if they washed up on the river bank they would have spent some time in the river itself. But I do not see any rusting of the hinges on the sunglasses. Since they were found on the south shore of the river they probably would have been in the shade or mostly shaded during the day due to the sun's angle and the area being wooded. Has anyone come forward and said that these sunglasses are theirs and they dropped them? As much as this has been in the media in the Myrtle Beach area I would think if someone else in the area dropped them they would have come forward. The other thing that gets me with these glasses is the obvious label of Prada on the side. Who would wear or know what Prada is or would even care? A teen girl who is into fashion and the like.

BBM-

As far as I know, the glasses have never been claimed by anyone else. However, it's never been able to be confirmed that they are in fact Brittanee's. From my understanding, there was somewhat of a discrepancy on that issue. Brittanee's boyfriend, JG said that he had never seen her wear glasses like that, but "that doesn't mean she didn't purchase them while she was in MB on vacation". Brittanee's mom mentions that she purchased a pair for Brittanee for Easter. It's really frustrating, because you're exactly right, those glasses sound exactly like something she would wear. The only information I've heard concerning the glasses were that they were knockoff Prada glasses, and that they were never able to find any kind of DNA or other evidence on the glasses. And yes, the picture of the glasses doesn't show any weathering activity whatsoever.. if they had been in that area for all that time, I'm sure the glasses would be nearly destroyed due to all of the animals and other area surroundings. There isn't any kind of rust, nothing that points to the possibility that the glasses could have been submerged underwater for all this time. Brittanee's dad has mentioned that he thinks the glasses may have been placed there intentionally- that maybe someone the police have been questioning over and over may have just taken the glasses there in order to shift LE's attention away from them. Not sure how credible that theory is, but at this point, anything is possible.

Also, I've looked at a lot of pictures of Brittanee with her family/friends/BF, etc to see if I could find a picture of her wearing a pair of sunglasses. I haven't had any luck so far. However, I think we have all most likely seen some of the pictures that the "friends" of Brittanee posted on their FB's after her disappearance- I'm not sure who did it, but I've seen multiple different screen shots of those pictures (they are either AL's or JO's facebook album) and I notice that in one picture where brittanee is sitting on the beach in a pink bathing suit with AL, AL has a pair of sunglasses on her head. The shots are kind of low quality, so it's hard to tell whether or not those glasses match the description of the knockoff Prada ones that were found.. it looks like the color may resemble, but that's all I can tell. Is it possible that Brittanee may have borrowed them from AL or JO? Then again, I would like to think if it was either of their sunglasses (and they had nothing to do with her disappearance) that they would have came forward by now and claimed the glasses as theirs.

Just a side note, does anyone know if the billboards in MB have been taken down?? We're on vacation now, and we've been all over town, literally, and I still haven't seen either of the billboards. I say either because I know there is the original one that is sponsored by the CUE center, but I remember her dad also announcing that another billboard would be put up in MB, but sponsored by the Kristen Foundation. I saw the memorial tree today that her family planted a few weeks ago, and it's beautiful!

We've only been here two days, and I cannot tell you how many young girls I've seen walking alone at night.. it's honestly terrifying. They probably have no clue that there is another girl out there just like them that's still missing.

Does anyone know the exact whereabouts of the traffic camera? Like, a landmark that it's close to, a hotel or something?

When you watch the video of her walking down the street you will notice the video shows the bottom half of a Super 8 motel sign across the street from her. You will also notice a knee high cement wall next to her on the sidewalk. I used Google maps and you can actually see the camera on a ledge of the Quality Inn and Suites which is located at 1004 South Ocean Boulevard. I will see if I can find a link for the better quality video of her walking down the street.

BBM-

As far as I know, the glasses have never been claimed by anyone else. However, it's never been able to be confirmed that they are in fact Brittanee's. From my understanding, there was somewhat of a discrepancy on that issue. Brittanee's boyfriend, JG said that he had never seen her wear glasses like that, but "that doesn't mean she didn't purchase them while she was in MB on vacation". Brittanee's mom mentions that she purchased a pair for Brittanee for Easter. It's really frustrating, because you're exactly right, those glasses sound exactly like something she would wear. The only information I've heard concerning the glasses were that they were knockoff Prada glasses, and that they were never able to find any kind of DNA or other evidence on the glasses. And yes, the picture of the glasses doesn't show any weathering activity whatsoever.. if they had been in that area for all that time, I'm sure the glasses would be nearly destroyed due to all of the animals and other area surroundings. There isn't any kind of rust, nothing that points to the possibility that the glasses could have been submerged underwater for all this time. Brittanee's dad has mentioned that he thinks the glasses may have been placed there intentionally- that maybe someone the police have been questioning over and over may have just taken the glasses there in order to shift LE's attention away from them. Not sure how credible that theory is, but at this point, anything is possible.

Also, I've looked at a lot of pictures of Brittanee with her family/friends/BF, etc to see if I could find a picture of her wearing a pair of sunglasses. I haven't had any luck so far. However, I think we have all most likely seen some of the pictures that the "friends" of Brittanee posted on their FB's after her disappearance- I'm not sure who did it, but I've seen multiple different screen shots of those pictures (they are either AL's or JO's facebook album) and I notice that in one picture where brittanee is sitting on the beach in a pink bathing suit with AL, AL has a pair of sunglasses on her head. The shots are kind of low quality, so it's hard to tell whether or not those glasses match the description of the knockoff Prada ones that were found.. it looks like the color may resemble, but that's all I can tell. Is it possible that Brittanee may have borrowed them from AL or JO? Then again, I would like to think if it was either of their sunglasses (and they had nothing to do with her disappearance) that they would have came forward by now and claimed the glasses as theirs.

Just a side note, does anyone know if the billboards in MB have been taken down?? We're on vacation now, and we've been all over town, literally, and I still haven't seen either of the billboards. I say either because I know there is the original one that is sponsored by the CUE center, but I remember her dad also announcing that another billboard would be put up in MB, but sponsored by the Kristen Foundation. I saw the memorial tree today that her family planted a few weeks ago, and it's beautiful!

We've only been here two days, and I cannot tell you how many young girls I've seen walking alone at night.. it's honestly terrifying. They probably have no clue that there is another girl out there just like them that's still missing.

BBM. For Brittanee's 3 year anniversary her family went to MB and her sister took a picture of the billboard and uploaded it to FB. It was up then. I don't know if it's still up now.

Somewhere, lost in all of these threads, is a picture of Brittanee wearing sunglasses that resemble the pair found. Off to search...

ETA: Found it!
picture.php

Of note, the sides of the glasses that go over her ears are wide as opposed to thin. Similar to the ones found.

When you watch the video of her walking down the street you will notice the video shows the bottom half of a Super 8 motel sign across the street from her. You will also notice a knee high cement wall next to her on the sidewalk. I used Google maps and you can actually see the camera on a ledge of the Quality Inn and Suites which is located at 1004 South Ocean Boulevard. I will see if I can find a link for the better quality video of her walking down the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kkMglrcK1J4#!

At :43 to :48 of this video it shows Brittanee walking south on Ocean Boulevard. You will notice the video is taken from across the street and from above. If you look close enough there is a knee or shin high cement wall to her left. In front of the camera is a stop sign and the bottom half of a Super 8 hotel sign. I made a street view of the Quality Inn and Suites and the Super 8 hotel which shows the camera on the 2nd floor on the ledge of a balcony of the Quality Inn and Suites near the palm tree. You might need to move the map around a bit to get a better look at the shape of the Super 8 sign and then compare it to the video.

super 8 1100 south ocean boulevard myrtle beach sc - Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member