SC - Bryan Garcia for attempted corpse theft, Clover, 2005

julianne said:
txsvicki.....well said. I agree.

I think that if a persons mind is sooo twisted that they want and attempt to dig up a little girls dead body to bring her home and have sex with her, no amount of medications could come close to keeping him under control. We're not talking about a nervous disorder or OCD or a typical by the book mental illness. We're talking about an EVIL individual. He's too far gone. He's depraved. He doesn't need to be walking the streets. Obviously, there is mental issues, but there are evil issues as well.

This judge needs to be commended! I don't care about the argument that you can't punish someone for something they MIGHT do. . For once, we have a judge who is being PROACTIVE in helping to protect OUR children!!! Be assured, this judge has undoubtedly saved the life of a child, or children, from this EVIL man.

I don't apologize for having such a staunch and possibly harsh stance and opinion on this. Not at all. I think ANYONE who verbalizes their desires to violently rape and murder young children need to be locked up!!! Doesn't matter that they haven't YET done it. The point is, it's time to GET REAL and our judges need to grow some balls and see to it that it is PREVENTED when it can be. That's just what this judge did. Good for him!!!!

The fact that he wants to rape *dead* little girls (UGH) doesn't make it any less sadistic.....like another poster said, he surely was well on his way to seeking out a little girl to kill so he could do what he wanted. Sick, evil *advertiser censored*.

Anyone who thinks this guy doesn't deserve to be locked up because he wasn't successful in his sick, sadistic attempt, I ask you this: Do you want him walking around in YOUR neighborhood? I sure don't. I don't want him in mine OR yours, because ALL of our children deserve to be protected.

I hear ya, Julianne, I too, think he's trouble down the road, but I just don't see how our justice system can punish people before they commit a crime. As long as the sentence fits the sentencing guidelines for what he actually did, good for the judge, but I don't want someone claiming I "might" do something and locking me up.

Eve

eve said:
I hear ya, Julianne, I too, think he's trouble down the road, but I just don't see how our justice system can punish people before they commit a crime. As long as the sentence fits the sentencing guidelines for what he actually did, good for the judge, but I don't want someone claiming I "might" do something and locking me up.

Eve
Well, I do agree with the part about you not wanting someone else to claim that you MIGHT do something wrong, and getting locked up for someone elses words.... but that's not the case here. HE HIMSELF claimed this and made the statements about what he wanted to do. There's a big difference there, IMO. I realize that locking someone up for something they MIGHT do can surely be considered harsh and even vigilante-like, but we cannot wait until the deed is done. Our legal system must be proactive and I seriously think this judge deserves to be commended for standing up for our kids, our future, once and for all. Before another Jessica Lunsford, Polly Klaas, Danielle VanDam, Samantha Runyon, Amber, and countless others, happens once again to a beautiful, innocent child.

Thanks, S. Finch! I just feel so strongly about this. My heart aches just sitting here typing the names above, I literally have tears in my eyes, and the anger and hatred I feel towards their killers is really limitless. I realize the argument that his sentence could be considered unfair, but too bad. He needs to not be on the streets, period.

Maybe someday we'll find a cure - right now we have no cure. I don't think they're evil - someone evil would be defending himself right now, and not admitting that they want to do evil things - they'd be pretending to be normal, that it was a bar bet, so they can get free to get their hands on a child. But none of the psych drugs we have now do anything for them, so prison, or a mental hospital (a locked down mental hospital) is the only place for them.

No, I don't buy it. Just because he wasn't trying to hide it doesn't mean he isn't an evil person, IMO. Someone who wants to rape and murder innocent children, whether they tell people this or not, is evil. Obviously, there is mental illness involved also. But there's evil, too. John Couey is evil. David Westerfield is evil. I don't think there will ever be a cure for depraved, disgusting baby-rapers and child-killers, and if anything is ever touted as a cure, I wouldn't want them to be "cured" and released into society and take any chances with anyones children. These people are predators. They are evil predators. Lock them all up together in huge cells where they have access to each other. Then they can take their sick, perverted fantasies out on each other!:behindbar

julianne said:
No, I don't buy it. Just because he wasn't trying to hide it doesn't mean he isn't an evil person, IMO. Someone who wants to rape and murder innocent children, whether they tell people this or not, is evil. Obviously, there is mental illness involved also. But there's evil, too. John Couey is evil. David Westerfield is evil. I don't think there will ever be a cure for depraved, disgusting baby-rapers and child-killers, and if anything is ever touted as a cure, I wouldn't want them to be "cured" and released into society and take any chances with anyones children. These people are predators. They are evil predators. Lock them all up together in huge cells where they have access to each other. Then they can take their sick, perverted fantasies out on each other!:behindbar
Couey and Westerfield didn't want to be caught - they had caved in to the evil desires, and they are evil. But when you have these evil desires, and knowing what will happen if you tell (and obviously everyone knows what will happen), asking for help - that's a good person asking for help from a mental disease. The bad ones don't ask for help, the evil ones revel in it.

I do believe in mental illness - and whether the mental illness is telling them to kill themselves, or to harm others - it's just a difference of kind. But - given that they have this illness - how they respond to it, what they do - that's all the difference in the world. Some have a mental illness that makes them wash their hands 3 times every time. That's not a bad one, and they can decide not to fight it. Others have a mental illness that has them seeing children as sexual objects - that's a bad one, and they must fight it. Some may well fight it and win their entire lives - but if you are a good person, and you find yourself losing, a good person will tell authorities, and ask for help, so they can be protected from themselves. A weak person may cave in first, and an optimistic person may think they have it under control enough up until the point where the mental illness really gains control of their actions, and the good person they may have been is really gone. A bad person will figure that if they want it, they may as well take it - and they're indeed evil. But they don't ask for help.

Details said:
Couey and Westerfield didn't want to be caught - they had caved in to the evil desires, and they are evil. But when you have these evil desires, and knowing what will happen if you tell (and obviously everyone knows what will happen), asking for help - that's a good person asking for help from a mental disease. The bad ones don't ask for help, the evil ones revel in it.

I do believe in mental illness - and whether the mental illness is telling them to kill themselves, or to harm others - it's just a difference of kind. But - given that they have this illness - how they respond to it, what they do - that's all the difference in the world. Some have a mental illness that makes them wash their hands 3 times every time. That's not a bad one, and they can decide not to fight it. Others have a mental illness that has them seeing children as sexual objects - that's a bad one, and they must fight it. Some may well fight it and win their entire lives - but if you are a good person, and you find yourself losing, a good person will tell authorities, and ask for help, so they can be protected from themselves. A weak person may cave in first, and an optimistic person may think they have it under control enough up until the point where the mental illness really gains control of their actions, and the good person they may have been is really gone. A bad person will figure that if they want it, they may as well take it - and they're indeed evil. But they don't ask for help.
:clap: :clap:

I wonder why some people don't go mentally ill and rape big burly police officers or Hell's Angels and force them to pose for *advertiser censored*? It's always small defenseless children and women. These freaks have no conscience, it's all about their selfish sexual desire and some are just more organized and some may have some mental illness or low I.Q.s that makes them get caught. I don't think that any woman or child who has been raped would ever believe that the evil look in the eyes of the attacker was mental illness. If this theory is accepted, then other crimes or all crimes such as armed robbery and drug dealing could also be claimed as mental illness intead of choices. No offense intended to those who believe differently.

Not all crimes are about mental illness - and even within a type of crime, some are in it because of a mental illness, others are just plain evil (pedophiles versus some power hungry jerk who figures the only people he thinks he can control completely are those a lot weaker than he is) - but it seems reasonable some are. Mental illness is so easy to accept as a cause when someone does something to harm themselves - and so hard when they do something to harm others. For me, because I believe in one, I have to believe in the other.

An interesting tidbit I happened across today - I was watching a Discovery Health documentary about a man in a coma for 19 years, who woke up - and they mentioned this other case. A happily married man, with a son, everything normal. He gets into a small car accident - hits his head on the dash, is out for maybe 10 minutes. No brain damage on the CAT scan. But something is different. At first his wife figures it's just shock - but no. He's lost his ability to love - completely. It's just not an emotion he can have at all anymore. He's also lost a lot of his self control. The brain damage turns out to be microscopic - just a few cells damaged or destroyed, and he's a completely different person. Two years later, he's still there, his wife is taking care of him, and he doesn't love her, nor his son, nor anyone or anything else. He also can't hold a job, because he doesn't have enough self control - all for a little tiny bit of damage not even visible on a CAT scan.

That is extremely interesting Details. Amazing that such a small amount of brain damage can cause such changes in a person!

SewingDeb said:
That is extremely interesting Details. Amazing that such a small amount of brain damage can cause such changes in a person!
Yeah, it was really shocking - and scary.

While I still don't excuse those with brain injuries or mental illness for murdering children, or anyone for that matter, it is interesting how brain injury CAN play a role.

I have heard that in some serial killers, damage in the frontal lobe area of the brain is a common factor. However, there are other serial killers who show no brain abnormalities at all.

I had a major head injury when I was a teenager, from a car accident. I wasn't wearing my seat belt, and went THROUGH the windshield. I was the passenger. The driver was going AT LEAST 76 mph at the time, and we know this because the speedometer got stuck at 76. I lost conciousness for hours, and then drifted in and out for days. I had very severe facial injuries, gigantic full-thickness lacerations all over my face, head, neck and chest. Brain swelling, yada yada...the whole nine yards. Couldn't walk for months due to numerous broken bones. So, it makes me wonder why the guy in the show Details watched who had no obvious brain injuries would lose his ability to love. I guess what I am saying is what makes a person's brain seem more suspectible to an injury affecting his feelings or emotions than others? I came through my accident just fine, after much down time and surgeries. I'm not mentally ill....at least the voices tell me I'm not! LOL, just kidding:D

Details said:
An interesting tidbit I happened across today - I was watching a Discovery Health documentary about a man in a coma for 19 years, who woke up - and they mentioned this other case. A happily married man, with a son, everything normal. He gets into a small car accident - hits his head on the dash, is out for maybe 10 minutes. No brain damage on the CAT scan. But something is different. At first his wife figures it's just shock - but no. He's lost his ability to love - completely. It's just not an emotion he can have at all anymore. He's also lost a lot of his self control. The brain damage turns out to be microscopic - just a few cells damaged or destroyed, and he's a completely different person. Two years later, he's still there, his wife is taking care of him, and he doesn't love her, nor his son, nor anyone or anything else. He also can't hold a job, because he doesn't have enough self control - all for a little tiny bit of damage not even visible on a CAT scan.
It sounds to me like he damaged his Frontal lobe. The Frontal Lobe is a pretty amazing thing. If you are interested, here is a link to info on it.

http://www.neuroskills.com/tbi/bfrontal.shtml

I think a lot of the reason mental illness is brought up when people commit horrible crimes is because we don't want to believe that a person is capable of doing what they did so they "must be mentally ill". It's a scarey thing to think someone who isn't mentally ill could be capable of such evil acts.

julianne said:
While I still don't excuse those with brain injuries or mental illness for murdering children, or anyone for that matter, it is interesting how brain injury CAN play a role.

I have heard that in some serial killers, damage in the frontal lobe area of the brain is a common factor. However, there are other serial killers who show no brain abnormalities at all.

I had a major head injury when I was a teenager, from a car accident. I wasn't wearing my seat belt, and went THROUGH the windshield. I was the passenger. The driver was going AT LEAST 76 mph at the time, and we know this because the speedometer got stuck at 76. I lost conciousness for hours, and then drifted in and out for days. I had very severe facial injuries, gigantic full-thickness lacerations all over my face, head, neck and chest. Brain swelling, yada yada...the whole nine yards. Couldn't walk for months due to numerous broken bones. So, it makes me wonder why the guy in the show Details watched who had no obvious brain injuries would lose his ability to love. I guess what I am saying is what makes a person's brain seem more suspectible to an injury affecting his feelings or emotions than others? I came through my accident just fine, after much down time and surgeries. I'm not mentally ill....at least the voices tell me I'm not! LOL, just kidding:D
I think it's just luck - if one spot or another is hit.

To me, a brain anomaly can be exactly what causes it - which only makes the killer more dangerous, and that much more needing to be locked up for life immediately. I don't see it as being about excusing them or not - understanding, perhaps - but whoever said, "To understand all is to forgive all" was completely nuts!

OneLostGrl said:
I think a lot of the reason mental illness is brought up when people commit horrible crimes is because we don't want to believe that a person is capable of doing what they did so they "must be mentally ill". It's a scarey thing to think someone who isn't mentally ill could be capable of such evil acts.
I'm up for both - sometimes it's a mental illness - and this guy seems like one such - other times it's just someone is evil - only interested in their own desires and need for domination, power, whatever it may be. To a large degree, which it is doesn't matter - but to another degree, the more we can figure out which is which, the more we might be able to find some of these guys, and find some method of locking them up or maybe someday treating them, before anyone is hurt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back