Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020 #5

Shannon on Twitter
NBCNC: Memorial service has begun in Cayce, SC to remember 6-year-old Faye Swetlik. (image from WIS) @WVTM13 #WVTM13
ERVtoC8XYAALbfB.jpg

7:19 PM - 21 Feb 2020

https://twitter.com/WSAV/status/1231028145035280385

"Guess what? I love you...see you later!" Home video of Faye Swetlik played at her memorial service in South Carolina Friday evening.
8:29 PM - 21 Feb 2020

https://twitter.com/MollyGrantham/status/1231041793023758337
Think about being a mom who has to give a eulogy for your 6-year-old baby girl. Actually, really think about it. Faye Swetlik's mother, Selena, somehow got through hers tonight. She implored a packed house to, "Love more the way Faye did." Story: @WBTV_News at 11p Photo: @wis10
ERWH3dvXUAA0WIP.jpg

9:23 PM - 21 Feb 2020

Faye Swetlik's mother calls her 'my little magic fairy' in eulogy

Last edited:
He wasn't interviewed, he wasn't interrogated, he was "spoken to". His house wasn't searched, police were "in it". Have you people never been even tangentially involved in a police investigation? They talked to everyone. When they do that, they just briefly put them on the spot and look for fearful reactions. Taylor for whatever reason didn't click when he was spoken to and that was it.

He does kind of seem like the sort of person who would get rattled by police though. That makes me think either the officer who spoke to him missed a sign, which I'm sure he was feeling absolutely horrible about until it was established Faye had been long gone at the time or it could suggest that Taylor had in fact done something like this before and successfully escaped detection so he was confident at the time that he could escape again.
LE was clear that a better approach was used to shut the entrances and exits of the neighborhood. Cars and trunks were checked. Because this was a kidnapping first; LE did extensive interviews and inspection of properties. The whole point was to find her alive. They tried these heightened techniques very well. It was just she was killed within hours of the kidnapping. LE also indicated CT did raise their attention, Once his garbage was checked again, and he had demonstrated certain behaviors (unreleased) he became a POI/Subject.

I don't think it was a matter of "waiting". The sheer number of places to be searched (streams, playgrounds, culverts, manholes etc) and houses to be canvassed over the whole neighborhood would certainly have taken time and manpower. Especially if they were being methodical in their searches.

Keep in mind that it's likely not everyone was home when LE came knocking, either. So follow-ups would have had to have been done. CT's work schedule could have been a major factor in terms of when they were able to contact him in person.

I agree with many searches being required. I would think the FBI was consulted in Columbia to help supply triaging potential perpetrators. This case appears to one strategically handled but unfortunately until evidence is present and sufficient; you keep working the case. LE indicated she was killed within the first few hours.

LE was clear that a better approach was used to shut the entrances and exits of the neighborhood. Cars and trunks were checked. Because this was a kidnapping first; LE did extensive interviews and inspection of properties. The whole point was to find her alive. They tried these heightened techniques very well. It was just she was killed within hours of the kidnapping. LE also indicated CT did raise their attention, Once his garbage was checked again, and he had demonstrated certain behaviors (unreleased) he became a POI/Subject.
Well yeah in hindsight, once his garbage was checked again - a couple hours before he was dead. I'm sure they did make note of all statements. If I'm taking a shot in the dark maybe he couldn't resist the urge to "give them some advice on their investigation" which killers sometimes do - but many people on websleuths probably would too. Something like that alone isn't enough to make a person suspicious but it could be seen as suspicious behavior in hindsight

FEB 21, 2020
A final act of magic in the life of Faye Marie Swetlik
She was magic before she was born.

She danced in her mother's pregnant belly, her mother later told her. It felt like her daughter twirled, wings fluttering, to a song only she could hear. So, when she was born, her mother made magic her name, and her name sounded like a song.

Faye Marie has a French translation: "Fairy Mary."

[...]

In Collins' eulogy, she asked that people honor Faye's memory through love, the most important magic. That they try to be a little bit more like Faye, "to be a little bit more kind, to compliment a stranger, to dance in the rain, to stop and smell the flowers, to show just a little more bit love to everyone you meet."

[...]

It was a service dedicated not just Faye but the world she believed in.

Her world was one that was purple and pink and sparkly, like the lights and flowers on the altar, one where even the rocks weren't really rocks if you looked close enough, just like the one with a painted smile in the lobby.

[...]

Faye's world was one where everyone could and should be complimented. Everyone deserved a kind word, the best hug, a shared giggle, the eulogy noted, even strangers. Faye's world was one where funerals should end with a round of applause and the offer of a lavender balloon or a coloring book to take home.

8eb42085-92cd-4a8b-9e9b-c2790324c5d3-JM.fayeswtlik.022120.003.jpg

[...]

"She loved everything and everyone," the eulogy said. "She wanted everyone to be as happy as she was."

[...]

On Friday night, though, Faye was a particular girl with all of her own particularities. She was one who packed three cold hot dogs for school lunch. She loved wearing polka dots and floral patterns and bright stripes — and didn't care if other people said it didn't match.

[...]

Faye loved to write notes and get letters in the mail.

The family asked for something Friday night, according to Coakley. They wanted everyone there to write a message in journals set up at the front of the church, to dedicate a few words or draw a picture using one of the pink or green or orange pens.

The family asked that they address each note directly to Faye.

FEB 21, 2020
Cayce community says goodbye to 6-year-old Faye Swetlik in special memorial service
[...]

Towing an angel home

A pink Diligent Towing tow truck carried Faye's bike to lead the funeral procession from Faye's neighborhood to the church.

Faye's mother rode in the truck as well, carrying Faye's ashes.

[...]

You Are My Sunshine
“You Are My Sunshine,” which Faye’s grandmother, Ruth Collins, said was the girl’s favorite song, was played to precede the memorial service. Collins said she and Faye would sing together every day.

[...]

The origin of Faye's name
[...]

The eulogy also noted Faye’s kindness and “uncanny ability to bring people together.” Faye hated fighting and was a noted peacemaker. She asked attendees to “love a little more, be a little more kind, compliment a stranger, dance in the rain, and stop and smell the flowers."

[...]

A child's heart
[...]

She packed her own lunches, and was very independent. She even liked the taste of onions, but didn't want to see them when she ate them. She loved sipping on lemon-lime soda too. She had lots of pillows and blankets, enjoyed trying on high heels, and even somehow had two boyfriends at her age.

[...]

"She felt it was her job to make sure people were loved and felt special," Coakley said. "She taught us to love each other more, and a little better."

[...]

FEB 21, 2020
A final act of magic in the life of Faye Marie Swetlik
She was magic before she was born.

She danced in her mother's pregnant belly, her mother later told her. It felt like her daughter twirled, wings fluttering, to a song only she could hear. So, when she was born, her mother made magic her name, and her name sounded like a song.

Faye Marie has a French translation: "Fairy Mary."

[...]

In Collins' eulogy, she asked that people honor Faye's memory through love, the most important magic. That they try to be a little bit more like Faye, "to be a little bit more kind, to compliment a stranger, to dance in the rain, to stop and smell the flowers, to show just a little more bit love to everyone you meet."

[...]

It was a service dedicated not just Faye but the world she believed in.

Her world was one that was purple and pink and sparkly, like the lights and flowers on the altar, one where even the rocks weren't really rocks if you looked close enough, just like the one with a painted smile in the lobby.

[...]

Faye's world was one where everyone could and should be complimented. Everyone deserved a kind word, the best hug, a shared giggle, the eulogy noted, even strangers. Faye's world was one where funerals should end with a round of applause and the offer of a lavender balloon or a coloring book to take home.

8eb42085-92cd-4a8b-9e9b-c2790324c5d3-JM.fayeswtlik.022120.003.jpg

[...]

"She loved everything and everyone," the eulogy said. "She wanted everyone to be as happy as she was."

[...]

On Friday night, though, Faye was a particular girl with all of her own particularities. She was one who packed three cold hot dogs for school lunch. She loved wearing polka dots and floral patterns and bright stripes — and didn't care if other people said it didn't match.

[...]

Faye loved to write notes and get letters in the mail.

The family asked for something Friday night, according to Coakley. They wanted everyone there to write a message in journals set up at the front of the church, to dedicate a few words or draw a picture using one of the pink or green or orange pens.

The family asked that they address each note directly to Faye.

I'm glad sweet Faye can know a whole lot of people here on Websleuths came to love her and care about the family she left behind.

We're all made better when we get outside ourselves and love a little fairy, even from afar.

I'm thinking the book is closed on this case now. From Faye going missing, the vast community searching for her, the theories, the news that both Faye and an unknown man were found dead, the revelation of the mans identity, police announcing CT's involvement, and her beautiful public service. Well done to all involved in finding out what happened so quickly and efficiently, compared to some other cases I have followed where the case is solved years after and sometimes never. Faye you are an angel and despite the sadness of your passing I'm hoping you're smiling up there watching the police do their thing, your families beautiful tributes and the greater community coming together for you. ❤❤

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article240508916.html

Feb 21, 2020

A public memorial service for Faye was held Friday evening, one week and one day after she was found slain in her Cayce neighborhood.

“Faye was designed by God for a very special purpose, and look at all she did in a short little time,” Trinity Baptist Church Pastor Eddie Coakley said in his funeral message. “She brought energy and color into our world. She brought a school and community together. She taught us to love each other a little bit more and much better. ...

“In our minds, of course, little Faye left us way before we were ready for her to leave. But God was ready for her.”

Coakley read a three-minute eulogy written by Faye’s mother, Selena Collins, who described how she gave her baby her name.

[..]

Many of the mourners wore pink and purple, the 6-year-old’s favorite colors.

They included teachers and students from Faye’s Springdale Elementary School, wearing matching lavender T-shirts; uniformed law enforcement officers; dozens of motorcycle bikers, who drove in procession, along with tow trucks, from the Churchill Heights neighborhood; S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster and his wife, Peggy; and hundreds more friends and strangers, young and old, who left few empty pews in the large church.

The first-grader went missing from her home in the Churchill Heights neighborhood last Monday afternoon, Feb. 10. Within hours, a desperate search had begun. News of her disappearance and prayers for her safe return spread around the country.

[..]

Faye loved to dress herself in pink and purple and pack her own lunch (complete with Kit Kat candy bars) to take to school, Coakley said. She loved to write cards and notes. She filled her bed with lots of blankets and pillows, and she loved dressing up in high heels.

“She loved to dance, she loved to move, she loved to play,” Coakley said. “And she loved to make people happy.”

[..]

The service included two of Faye’s favorite songs, “Better When I’m Dancing” from “The Peanuts Movie” and a mournful tune called “Good Night Moon.”

Video clips of Faye were played on the sanctuary’s two large screens: The child singing “You Are My Sunshine” with a choir of other children; jumping in rain puddles, laughing and shaking her rear like a duckling; feeding birds at the zoo; looking into a camera lens to say to her mother, “I love you.”

Or perhaps they haven't completely cleared the roommate, but want him to believe he is in the clear.

One of my thoughts at first. Although it’s unusual for two people to get together for a crime like this they have to be checking him out pretty thoroughly. But evidently DNA evidence (that’s been disclosed) only relates to one person besides Faye.

It continues to remind me of someone who didn’t really have a plan in place, that it was an impulse / crime of opportunity. But was more than likely something he had thought about for awhile (Maybe not a specific child). But I won’t be surprised if they find other crimes, perhaps not homicides, but maybe assaults or attempted assaults that were reported.

MOO

Freezing a body would certainly show up at autopsy but knowing that doesn't disprove the idea that the body might have been frozen... since we only know how Faye was murdered. That's why speculating that she might have been placed in the refrigerator or freezer is perfectly reasonable, imo... there is nothing that I know of to disprove that theory since, as you said yourself, we don't know where he hid Faye. Being refrigerated would slow decomposition / odor which is the main reason for the theory to have some merit, imo, if Faye was hidden in the apt. at all. She may have been in the storage unit for all we know but, if cadaver dogs missed that... well, time for some new dogs, imo.

CT's apartment is a 1,100 square foot area and the stove and dishwasher are standard size. I can't think of any reason why "in an apartment that size" they'd put a small refrigerator in the kitchen. It's not a studio or efficiency apt. In fact, the rental ad states:
"This is a spacious townhome that features an over-sized living room, a spacious eat-in kitchen, and large bedrooms."

I actually do have a small to average sized refrigerator... (2nd to smallest sized Kenmore from Sears bought in 2001) A child Faye's size and weight would fit into either compartment with plenty of room to spare. So, imo, it's very possible.

Respectfully: I'm not sure of your meaning at the end of your comment. We were told by LE that Faye died very shortly after her abduction but what does that have to do with the idea that CT didn't move her body multiple times? Are you connecting those 2 ideas? FWIW, I also don't think CT moved Faye "multiple times." But, I do think he may have moved her one time as LE was obviously not going anywhere and CT could have been aware that, sooner or later, they were going to come calling on him.

The thing is, people like to speculate and until a theory can be ruled out by known facts that disprove that theory then... it's all fair game to me until we learn otherwise; if we ever do.

602 Picadilly Place 602 Picadilly Square, Cayce, SC 29033 - Townhouse for Rent in Cayce, SC | Apartments.com

Nearly everything here is pure speculation and, as I mentioned, my comments are my opinion only. I think it’s a stretch to think someone put that little girl into a freezer or refrigerator. Still MOO, and we certainly all have them.

Well yeah in hindsight, once his garbage was checked again - a couple hours before he was dead. I'm sure they did make note of all statements. If I'm taking a shot in the dark maybe he couldn't resist the urge to "give them some advice on their investigation" which killers sometimes do - but many people on websleuths probably would too. Something like that alone isn't enough to make a person suspicious but it could be seen as suspicious behavior in hindsight
I do not get the impression of "hindsight". I get the impression that through filming and DNA, CT was questionable from the beginning. Based on his demographics alone he would be at the top of the list. The findings in the trash strengthen their case. The rapid DNA connected CT to Faye and Faye to his townhouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not get the impression of "hindsight". I get the impression that through filming and DNA, CT was questionable from the beginning. Based on his demographics alone he would be at the top of the list. The findings in the trash strengthen their case. The rapid DNA connected CT to Faye and Faye to his townhouse.

Neighbor killed Faye Swetlik, killed himself days later, police say

Snellgrove did say video collected in their investigation afterward showed Taylor doing things that were "suspicious" but did not elaborate.

Either there are very different reports of police statements circulating or we have very different definitions of the word "hindsight"

this would be a critical distinction had law enforcement suspected Taylor while Faye was still alive and chosen not to move on him. Even as it stands, some people with more forgiveness in their hearts than I might be troubled if Taylor could have been apprehended before his death.

Last edited by a moderator:
FEB 21, 2020
'Rocks for Faye' is an international movement honoring Faye Swetlik - ABC Columbia
You may have seen the ‘Rocks for Faye’ hashtag or movement on social media, where people are painting rocks and placing them somewhere for someone else to find.

[...]

“So we’ve got most of the continental U.S., somebody from each state that says they’re participating. And somebody from Australia posted on the page and said they wanted to participate. And a lady from Ireland,” said JV.

JV said that Faye’s grandmother is in the group, and has commented about spreading the rocks in memory of her granddaughter.

[...]

Rocks for Faye is taking the sweet, 6-year-old girl on a never-ending journey around the world.

“The rocks with Faye’s name on it, the memory of her, she’ll get to travel to all these places that she never got a chance to, but her rocks will get to travel,” said JV.

[...]

There is a free community event this weekend at Art Smart Academy Community Center if you’d like to paint some rocks. Thousands of rocks were donated and are blank for you to decorate. You can head to Art Smart Academy in Irmo this Friday, Saturday or Sunday to paint some rocks.

For more information on that event, click here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back