SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud

Seattle1

Reaction score

3/3/23

Gloria Satterfield Death​

The Murdaugh family housekeeper, Gloria Satterfield, died as a result of injuries sustained in a fall at their Moselle home in 2018. The investigation into her death is still ongoing, after her case was reopened by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) in 2021.

Hampton County coroner Angela Topper asked law enforcement to reopen the investigation, saying that Satterfield's death "was not reported to the coroner at the time, nor was an autopsy performed."

Additionally, Topper wrote: "On the death certificate the manner of death was ruled 'Natural,' which is inconsistent with injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident."

Satterfield's family are named in Murdaugh's financial fraud charges, as he is accused of stealing $3.4 million in insurance money that was meant to go to her sons after her death.

3/3/23

WALTERBORO, S.C. —
The attorneys representing the family of Gloria Satterfield, the longtime nanny and housekeeper of the Murdaugh family, released a statement following Alex Murdaugh's murder conviction.

Gloria Satterfield died in 2018 following a fall at the Murdaugh home. After her death, Alex Murdaugh told her sons he would sue himself to make sure they were financially taken care of. But, as Murdaugh has since admitted, he stole millions of dollars and did not tell the family a settlement had been reached.

[..]

On Thursday night, shortly after Murdaugh's verdict was read in court, Eric Bland and Ronald Richter of Bland Richter, LLP released a statement which read:

"Through the verdict returned by the courageous jury in Colleton County, Alex Murdaugh will drink from the same cup of justice as every other citizen and other convicted murderers. His power, prestige and money afforded him no special treatment. The people have spoken. Alex's life of lies and deceit ended today. Maggie and Paul are vindicated. Justice prevails."

Updated: 11:50 PM EDT September 15, 2021

COLUMBIA, S.C. — There's another twist in the continuing saga of the prominent Murdaugh family in Hampton County. On Wednesday, the South Carolina's State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) announced it was opening a criminal investigation into the death of Gloria Satterfield, a Murdaugh family employee.

SLED officials are probing the death of Satterfield, a household employee at the Murdaugh family home, and the handling of her estate based on a request from the Hampton County coroner along with information they gathered during the course of SLED's other ongoing investigations involving Alex Murdaugh.

Satterfield was injured in a fall at the Murdaugh estate on February 2, 2018. She later died on February 26 of that year.
In a letter to SLED dated September 15, 2021, Hampton County Coroner Angela Topper requested SLED investigate the matter due to inconsistencies surrounding handling of Satterfield's death.

Referencing a lawsuit filed in the matter, Topper said, "According to a 'Petition for Approval of a Wrongful Death Settlement' in the Court of Common Pleas in Hampton County, South Carolina, the decedent, Gloria Satterfield died as a 'result of injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident, in Hampton County.' The defendant was Richard A. Murdaugh."

Topper goes on to say that Satterfield's death was never reported to the coroner's office, nor was an autopsy performed. Additionally, Topper said, "On the death certificate the manner of death was ruled 'natural,' which is inconsistent with injuries sustained in a trip and fall accident."

How odd, no autopsy. In many places autopsies are mandatory if the death is outside of a hospital or nursing home.

Didn't they say that a dog knocked her over on the stairs, and she hit her head?
GS died in the hospital. She was admitted after the fall and died almost a month later. I believe she also had a stroke midway through her recovery.

IMO, this plays a big part in why her sons don't believe there was foul play in her death. Some reports say her body was exhumed and others that exhumation was expected. Not sure which is true. MOO

OP's note: The reporter's statement GS died at the Murdaugh residence is inconsistent with other MSM

6/16/22

The body of the housekeeper who died while employed by the now disgraced former Hampton County attorney Alex Murdaugh is being exhumed.

The State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) announced that the body of Gloria Satterfield is being exhumed as part of an ongoing investigation into how Satterfield died: Satterfield died at the Murdaugh residence in Islandton after Murdaugh family members claimed she fell on their property.

“Agents from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) sought and received permission from the Satterfield family, through their attorney, to exhume the remains of Gloria Satterfield. This is a complex process that will take weeks, not days,” according to a SLED press release. “This investigation is still active and ongoing. As such, no additional information from SLED is available at this time.”

6/3/22

[..]

(WTGS) — Agents from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) said they have received permission from the family, through their attorney, to exhume the remains of Alex Murdaugh's former housekeeper, Gloria Satterfield.

[..]

Since her death as a result of a stroke in the weeks after her February 2018 injury at Murdaugh's home, the accepted narrative on how Satterfield died has been she fell down the brick front stairs of the home after being tripped by Murdaugh's dogs.

According to Satterfield family attorney Eric Bland, it was Alex Murdaugh who shared that account of Satterfield's injuries, blaming his dogs for causing the fall. Neither Maggie nor Paul Murdaugh mentioned dogs causing the fall in a 911 call in the moment's after the incident.

However, SLED opened a new investigation into Satterfield's death after Hampton County Coroner Angie Topper brought worries about potential mishandling of the case to state police.

Topper in a letter to SLED Chief Mark Keel sent last September said Satterfield's death was not reported to her predecessor at the time it occurred, nor was an autopsy performed.

Additionally, Topper noted Satterfield's death certificate listed the manner of death as "natural," which Topper claims would be inconsistent with the traumatic head injuries Satterfield suffered and the ultimate cardiac arrest and stroke which followed while she remained hospitalized.

AM had just gotten the commercial policy on the home not long before the accident. AM, in theory was not home when she fell, but he said she had told him the dogs had tripped her. PM and MM said she was incoherent. Maybe PM and MM started to ask lots of financial questions about GS's death.

This should be interesting... I hope her family finds out the truth and if there is anyone to be held to account justice should be done for her.

AM had just gotten the commercial policy on the home not long before the accident. AM, in theory was not home when she fell, but he said she had told him the dogs had tripped her. PM and MM said she was incoherent. Maybe PM and MM started to ask lots of financial questions about GS's death.

This should be interesting... I hope her family finds out the truth and if there is anyone to be held to account justice should be done for her.

Yes, I recently read the insurer's (Nautilus) complaint with regard to the grand jury subpoena issued by the feds and AM and understand there were two insurers, including Nautilus, responsible for the $5M umbrella with coverage for the year 2018-2019, and GS fell on 2/2/2018.

From M. Tinsley's testimony, he provided that when Nautilus failed to renew AM's umbrella coverage, he purchased a commercial policy with terms specific to the hunting lodge at Moselle which failed to provide typical "umbrella" coverage which is what AM needed for the boating accident and/or the Beach Wrongful Death Claim.

However, since the Moselle residence had a mortgage, it doesn't follow that AM just took out a policy for GS's coincidental fall but would have been insured without a break in coverage, and only the supplemental umbrella policy by Nautilus was new.

Good recap of the allegations about AM here:

According to the Netflix story, Gloria Satterfield had told Paul about AM's drugs and where he was hiding them. She did not want to tell Maggie for fear she might fire her. She and Paul were very close.

The Netflix story also said she never regained consciousness.

I recall from AM’s early threads that when GS died she was found to be unexpectedly disconnected from her hospital medical equipment. Does anybody have a link to MSM info about that please?
Really? I heard that about the quadriplegic's death but never GS!

ETA: add link

Last edited:
Really? I heard that about the quadriplegic's death but never GS!
Agreed. There are so many deaths it’s easy to confuse details. I don’t find it hard to believe that GS actually fell and AM changed the story to the dogs tripping her so he could cash in on the insurance policy. I don’t think Maggie or Paul pushed her. Paul was very close to GS. I believe the crime here is changing the story of how she fell in order to file against the insurance policy. He knew that was a cash cow. Very opportunistic but I don’t think he killed her. IMO

Thanks for her own thread!

I find it curious if someone was set on murdering her they would push her down those stairs? Could she have been hit and the fall staged? If I were going to kill someone I wouldn't risk them surviving..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back