Identified! SC - Jason Patrick Callahan, Myrtle Beach, missing since 1995

Its all so confusing, different people giving different details, but at the end of the day the DNA will give us the true answer. I hope it doesn't take as long as the Tammy Alexander/Cali comparison!

I'm so happy to see this case moving forward! It's coming up on 20 years he's been unidentified.

We will likely never know but it would be even more devastating if we found out he was traveling back home when he died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exciting.
As sad as this sounds, I never thought this case would make progress. I'm glad this day has come!
I feel for the mother, but why did she wait 20 years to file a report?

Sent By Owl

SO, of course, the "no known tattoo" statement about Jason Callahan is noteworthy.

I think even more noteworthy, is no known scars. If I remember correctly (I have been known to be wrong, lol), there is a scar on GD's back. Tat's are routine for young people after they have left home (I have mine, lol), but scars are not typically so routine. Is the scar from a surgery? If so, who would have taken him/picked him up? So many questions... The waiting is the hardest part!

I think even more noteworthy, is no known scars. If I remember correctly (I have been known to be wrong, lol), there is a scar on GD's back. Tat's are routine for young people after they have left home (I have mine, lol), but scars are not typically so routine. Is the scar from a surgery? If so, who would have taken him/picked him up? So many questions... The waiting is the hardest part!

Hard to say. I remember reading it was a small scar so who knows when and how that happened. I bet my adult son has scars I don't know about.

If the records I have looked at are correct, he and Heather Elvis went to the same HS Soccasatee. :(. Much different times, but just a thought.

Wow - well done to everyone here and elsewhere who have worked so tirelessly on this. I know nothing has been confirmed but it all seems very credible that our Doe may have been ID'd.

Good to know JC is now on Namus - he's finally official. Just so sad.

Very true. I can tell you what year my kids were born, but I have to do the math if you ask how old they are.

I can tell you what year I was born (1975), but for my age, you better believe I'm 29 or be prepared to do the math, 'cause I sure can't remember how old I am!

Thinking about it, I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard my mother get my age wrong as I got older. "You're how old now, 29, right?" "No mom, 30." "Oh yeah, that's right, sorry honey". That sort of thing. I've heard my boyfriend's mother do the same to him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like that happened here.

True
My dad even calls me my niece's name
And the dog that died in 1990

Off topic, just want to mention this is the second case I've followed for years now to be blown wide open in the last few months simply because family/loved ones only recently started looking for their lost love. Gives me hope for the others that are still years (or only a few hours, such are the ways of social media) away from being identified.

Here is something to tell people who are being rude about his mom:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_31d4be00-9c0e-11e4-8f85-fb52546762a0.html

Crosby couldn't say exactly why the missing persons report wasn't filed until recently, but noted the Callahan's mother didn't know which jurisdiction to file the report with due to the nomadic nature of Grateful Dead fans.

“She attempted to report it when he went missing but didn’t know which jurisdiction to report it to,” he said. “It’s in the infancy stages of the investigation. We’re still trying to piece everything together.”

He was on tour with the Grateful Dead. That's what deadheads did, followed the band from city to city across the country and across the ocean.

I wonder if Jason had a difficult relationship with his mom when he disappeared and she assumed that he was willfully estranged from her and didn't want to be found?

Or maybe she was afraid he would be upset if she set authorities on his trail because he was nomadic and didn't want to be found and she wanted to respect his lifestyle?

Kymistry, he was living a nomadic lifestyle following the Grateful Dead. I doubt he was on any lease in Illinois, just crashing there with guys he met. When he felt like going back on "tour" with the Dead he just left. It was not a lifestyle with all the complexities that we associate with how most of us live today. Even his job probably involved no more than a hand written application and a paycheck he took to a local pay check cashing place. No Bank accounts, no travel preplanning and no formalities with associates or friends.

New article thought I would post it.

'A woman in South Carolina has filed a missing person report on her son almost 20 years after he left home to follow the Grateful Dead.

Margaretta Evans, 63, told cops in Myrtle Beach that ‘she has not seen or heard from her son since early June of 1995,’ according to a report filed on Tuesday morning.

Jason Patrick Callahan, who would now be 38, is described by his mom as ‘approximately 5’ 10” to 6’ 00” in height and approximately 160 pounds’ with ‘wavy brown hair and brown eyes.’'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-left-follow-Grateful-Dead.html#ixzz3OqVoUjli

I hope it's ok to post these.

1990 - 8th grade:

240a59f7bc75509530e40d32d5f4cdf2.jpg

1991 - 9th grade:

be888363af256192fa3227284ed7b02a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: the mom not making a Missing Person report all those years ago- I'm guessing she assumed he "went off the deep end" with drug culture & didn't want to feel guilty if she got him charged with drug possession if a cop tried to bug him about the MP report? Also in some states parents get billed for their kid's stays in group homes, foster homes and youth authority jails- maybe she was just trying to avoid racking up a bill or lien.

As for hitchhiking, people can travel across states within 1-2 days if they catch a ride on a big rig or if they carpool to the same concerts with everyone splitting the cost of the ride.

This is a sad case but if it Jason Patrick Callahan IS Grateful Doe, let's all be glad he got to enjoy life fully and know love before he passed. Trust me many people on this earth can't say that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back