Identified! SC - Jason Patrick Callahan, Myrtle Beach, missing since 1995

The FBI is about to get involved in the case of the Long Island Serial Killer. Not all of the victims have been identified. They can be found in the unidentified forum. You would have to register to view the forum for the Long Island Serial killer. You can watch the documentary on youtube. Theres a couple of them. A mother and child are also victims of this killer. Strange thing though. The mothers info was never put into NAMUS. LE wont sign off on it. It would be great if you helped with this case. The timing is right.
I've been following the LISK killer since it was widely publicized, I would to this solved.

Awww - very happy - and sad - to see this one solved. Jason seems to have been a sweet young man with an adventurous spirit. I hope his Mom has some peace of mind now knowing that he didn't just take off and choose to never go home again.

Really awesome work, Greymetal. This was a great lesson in the value of casting a wider net.

So glad you have your name and identity back.

I am sure that he is truly "grateful" to all of us, for all the hard work that was put into identifying him. And he is in a better place.

R.I.P., brother.

DB.

IMO, and with all due respect, yes, Greymetal does deserve credit for their input on Jason's case, but, so many others played major parts, also. A lot discussion was already laid out on the WebSleuth tables. So much time was put into it. I say CONGRATS to everyone who participated in every way.

Wow- I just checked this forum yesterday to see if anything had happened.
I really can't think of what to say- this is so many things at once.
Jason was beautiful in his photo. His inner light will shine forever in many of us.

I kept coming back to see if this boy had been identified and am so happy to know that he has.

Great job, great people!

Rest in Peace, Jason.

I closed them temporarily, rascal, to corral the posts reacting to today's news into one thread. If there's a topic you'd like to post about and the thread is locked, send me a pm and I'll open it.

Thanks Bessie... I just wanted to celebrate the good news with those who worked so hard to make this happen and couldn't figure out why the threads were locked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great group of dedicated people in the Unidentified thread.I rarely read here but plan to spend more time doing so.A family can sleep more at ease tonight because of caring people like all of you.Bless Jason's family and rest at peace Jason.

Hi everyone!

It's been a really long time since I have posted here, which I do feel bad about.

I got promoted at work, our subreddit took off, and our Facebook page has grown and grown, and as a result, I have had very little spare time to come on here (and I feel so terrible about that)!.

I just wanted to come by to thank you all for all of your love and support.

WebSleuths, PhantasyTour, Reddit and Imgur have been INSTRUMENTAL in this whole thing, and NONE of this could have been done with all four communities, and I have made sure to mention that with anybody that has approached me about this case. You are all so incredible, and reading your support of our community at Reddit, and most importantly, the loved ones of Jason Callahan is amazing.

I have just put up a thank-you post on the subreddit if anyone is interested in reading it, and I will certainly be around here more and more now as there are so many other doe cases that deserve attention.

YOU ARE ALL INCREDIBLE.

Thank you for opening your doors and hearts to me (and my crazy ranting posts) back in January.

While this was the news we were expecting, it was the news we did not want to hear.. Because while one person got his name back, we knew that at the same time, he lost his life. Jason and his loved ones have been in my thoughts every single day since all of this has taken off, and moreso now. They are so much in my thoughts, that I have been reluctant to discuss them as much as I think other people have been.

Love to absolutely every single one of you!

I was at a (very casual) banquet last night. We were told to wear our brightest shirt. I pulled out my brightest tie-dye for Jason and wore it in memory of him. Later on after supper, the band played cover tunes. Eight songs in, they played Friend of the Devil by the Dead. Tears coming to my eyes, as I danced for Jason. RIP Brother.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone on Websleuths, Reddit, Facebook, and within The Grateful Dead community, who steadfastly refused to give up on this case.

Rest in peace, Jason. Your spirit continues in the hearts of many.

So glad to see this one was solved! I remember scrolling past the Grateful Dead fan page here as I looked thru many cases, and wondering what ever happened. Was so happy to see news on Facebook that it was solved.

The Virginia Medical Examiner’s office and a representative for the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUS) confirmed that Callahan is “Grateful Doe,” a young man who died in a car accident in June 1995, but was not identifiable due to his extensive injures.

[...]

Within minutes, more than 100,000 people had seen it, and many of them had shared it with their friends. Lesha Johanneck was behind the post, which followed a few years of cyber investigating.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/30708...grateful-doe-as-man-missing-from-myrtle-beach

Lt. Joey Crosby, spokesman for Myrtle Beach police, has said police began looking into connections between Callahan and “Grateful Doe” after reviewing information obtained from social media.

According to media reports, “Grateful Doe” is the name Virginia state police assigned to a man killed in a car crash in Emporia, Va., a southern Virginia town located off I-95 near the N.C. border.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_31d4be00-9c0e-11e4-8f85-fb52546762a0.html

I am so very, very proud of all of you who gave so much time and effort to come to this conclusion!

Rest in Peace Jason

Authorities were stumped. And "Grateful Doe," or "Jason Doe" as he was sometimes called, would likely have been forgotten were it not for the Internet sleuths, who kept the case alive.

"Jason's old roommate said it looked like him," Michelson said. "So if it wasn't for Reddit, Facebook, Websleuths and the media pushing the story around and getting it out for social media, I don't think I would have seen it."

The sleuths put Michelson in touch with Callahan's mother, who had also come forward earlier this year after seeing composite sketches of "Grateful Doe." Michelson said she never knew Callahan's mom and didn't even know her name.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...f577d68?cps=gravity_1787_-3768737728805665022

This is my first post and I joined so I could write it.

Grateful Doe is the reason why I became interested in UID cases. I came across him around this time last year and kept an eye on him until the news broke in January. And I've been checking websleuths daily for this and other cases ever since.

Grateful Doe was one of my pet cases not just because he was around my age when he went missing, but because I learned a lot from it. I discovered the Grateful Dead through this case (I spent a summer in San Francisco for work and visited the areas where they had played), I began writing again after a very long time of writers' block, and I know this all might sound a bit sappy but I was inspired by what I'd learned about Jason and by the genuine care and attention that the members here on websleuths, reddit and facebook showed toward both Grateful Doe, Jason's family, and to one another. Heck, I think I'd even change my career path if it could mean I could one day help with these cases in a professional sense. So well done guys! I am in awe of all of you, especially greymetal for what you have all done, what you've contributed not just this year but over the last 20. You all should be so so proud.

RIP Jason, your smile is eternal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back