SC - Michael Gorlitsky, made threats towards Mount Pleasant daycare, August 2019

stargazer17

Reaction score
Attorney argues indictment against man who threatened Mount Pleasant daycare should be overturned | WCBD News 2

Wow! Isn’t this the right time to address the situation and prevent a tragedy from happening? To say ‘well it’s technically not a school so none of this applies’, and the charges get dropped is ludicrous!!! This is my town and I have a child in the school system (not far from this daycare).

“They argued that Carolina Park Academy in Mount Pleasant is a daycare and not a traditional school, and so state law regarding threats toward schools could not stand in this case.“

Attorney argues indictment against man who threatened Mount Pleasant daycare should be overturned | WCBD News 2

Wow! Isn’t this the right time to address the situation and prevent a tragedy from happening? To say ‘well it’s technically not a school so none of this applies’, and the charges get dropped is ludicrous!!! This is my town and I have a child in the school system (not far from this daycare).

“They argued that Carolina Park Academy in Mount Pleasant is a daycare and not a traditional school, and so state law regarding threats toward schools could not stand in this case.“

Good lord.

Okay, lawyer, your client threatened to shoot a "private business" that has a bunch of tiny children and their caretakers. Key words: threatened, shoot, kids. End of story.

From your link:
"During Thursday’s hearing, attorney David Aylor argued that the indictment should be vacated because Carolina Park Academy is a daycare and not actually considered a school.

“Carolina Park Academy is a privately owned business,” said Aylor. “Under the code that is in place, not any proposed legislature, provides that the term childcare facilities do not include kindergartens, nursery schools, or daytime programs with or without stated educational programs, operating more than four hours.”

Aylor said state law specifically states “exactly what a school is and it’s mandated that under the Department of Education whereas the daycare is mandated under the Department of Social Services,” he said.

That is why Aylor feels the elements of the indictment against Gorlitsky have not been met and should be tossed out.

Prosecutors say that should not matter and the indictment should stand, urging the judge to deny Aylor’s motion to reconsider. They say the site is a school for pre-kindergarten-aged students rather than a daycare.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back