SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
CH56LqSWwAA62HP.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 3m3 minutes ago

A tribute the #CharlestonShooting victims next on #AC360

First, let me say, I am in no way defending the judge or anyone else who uses the 'N' word. However, some of us elderly can remember a time when it was used as simply a descriptive term, nothing more. At one time it did NOT necessarily imply disrespect or discrimination. It was the equivalent of someone talking about "Indians". Now the correct terminology is "Native American". Times have changed. I have never harbored any ill will toward African Americans, but years & years ago I have used the "N" word simply because that was the descriptive terminology of the 1940s & part of the 1950s.

I agree.
In fact the definition of the word use to include basically someone of low moral character- And I do believe that was what the Judge was saying, just not a very good choice of words- .
It really wasn't that long ago that segregation was the norm and there is still a generation that grew up in a time before enlightenment.

"We shall over come" i'm sitting here singing a long remembering when those words were sung.... many younger people don't even understand it.

I can see how a veteran AA Deputy would see it that way, after being out in the streets among all four categories. I do not see how that statement makes the judge a racist though. He obviously should have changed the last word to something less politically incorrect, but there was a valid point he was trying to make, TO THE BLACK SUSPECT he was speaking to. You need to know your audience. IMO, he was speaking in a way that would make him heard.

I used to work in an inner city high school. I used to use cuss words to get my point across and to be 'accepted' and to be heard by some of the students. They tune you out if you talk like an 'old white lady.' JMO

I'm not sure the judge can be believed about the origin of his "quote". He doesn't appear to have much credibility and was likely scrambling for some excuse after being called to account.

CH5xn2HWIAA9myR.jpg

CH5xonmWwAE9jkY.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 5m5 minutes ago

Judge in #CharlestonShooting suspect’s bond hearing received a “public reprimand” for 2005 racist remarks

ALOT has changed in past decade..This Judge actually showed empathy and compassion...then again no one knows what's in his heart???

OT, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we're on the verge of getting one of those 'trainwreck' icons/smilies. Maybe not the worst thing.

That is a great approach. And very similar to what our small Tutoring Program did. Instead of 'poo-pooing' the excuses we were given, we listened closely and tried to help them overcome the issues. So if a student said " I cannot do my math homework on time because my Dad made me get a full time job and I work every night"---we would go talk to the family and try and find another option. Try to explain the bigger picture. Or if a girl said " I can't finish my English Project because my sister stole our printer and sold it" --then we would make special times for her to print it out in our office or in the school library. And try to find her a used one to take home for her use.

But that was back in the late 80's/early 90's that I worked in that program. Much has changed.

Respectfully, I think we need to agree to disagree.

Well than you are disagreeing with facts.

Since 1982, there have been at least 62 mass shootings* across the country, with the killings unfolding in 30 states from Massachusetts to Hawaii. Twenty-five of these mass shootings have occurred since 2006, and seven of them took place in 2012. We’ve gathered detailed data on the cases and mapped them below, including information on the shooters’ identities, the types of weapons they used, and the number of victims they injured and killed.

Weapons: Of the 143 guns possessed by the killers, more than three quarters were obtained legally. The arsenal included dozens of assault weapons and semi-automatic handguns with high-capacity magazines. (See charts below.) Just as Jeffrey Weise used a .40-caliber Glock to slaughter students in Red Lake, Minnesota, in 2005, so too did James Holmes, along with an AR-15 assault rifle, when blasting away at his victims in a darkened movie theater. In Newtown, Connecticut, Adam Lanza wielded a .223 Bushmaster semi-automatic assault rifle as he massacred 20 school children and six adults.

In U.S. Mass Shootings, Most Guns Used are Legal

Please, please, let's not get a train wreck going. Some of us may reminisce the "bad old days" but that doesn't mean we approved of them. We have come a long, long way BUT not nearly far enough! We need to collectively strive for tolerance & equality for ALL!

:modstop:

Actually, I have a few names for habitually offensive forum posters, but I'll keep them to myself because name calling breeds ill feelings, no matter how well-intentioned. So let's just stop this conversation right now.

As regards terrorism, since this topic has arisen a few times --

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/opinion/the-other-terror-threat.html

"Despite public anxiety about extremists inspired by Al Qaeda and the Islamic State, the number of violent plots by such individuals has remained very low. Since 9/11, an average of nine American Muslims per year have been involved in an average of six terrorism-related plots against targets in the United States. Most were disrupted, but the 20 plots that were carried out accounted for 50 fatalities over the past 13 and a half years."

"In contrast, right-wing extremists averaged 337 attacks per year in the decade after 9/11, causing a total of 254 fatalities, according to a study by Arie Perliger, a professor at the United States Military Academy’s Combating Terrorism Center. The toll has increased since the study was released in 2012."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen