SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

worm

Reaction score
Not much on this yet but I got it on yahoo and foxcarolina.com. This mother and son were found near a dog kennel on their property in Colleton County SC. Their family has a long history of connections to the legal system in the Lowcountry and the son, who was murdered, was currently facing charges in a boating accident causing death.

2 Murdaugh family members shot, killed in Colleton County SC homicide

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious about the timing of the potential civil suit by Connor Cook. Even if he's correct that law enforcement was improperly influenced/involved in a conspiracy to make it appear that Connor might have been the one driving the boat, why would be bring this action now? I could see him bringing the case before Paul's death, due to concerns that Paul and/or his lawyers might have tried to point the finger at Connor at trial in an effort to introduce reasonable doubt to a jury. But dimce Paul is now dead, there won't be a trial on the criminal charges, and the civil charges aren't concerned with who was driving the boat (AM and BM are being sued for facilitating PM's purchase of alcohol, which he drank and shared with the others, not on the grounds that PM was driving the boat). And although there is some vague question in the initial statements and even in the depositions as to who was driving the boat at the time of the accident (most of the others believed Paul was driving but couldn't say for sure), no one has ever sought to hold Connor responsible for Mallory's death. So why would Connor seek to bring this case now?

My guess is that the moment was right.

I think there were many people, including those in the legal system, that were unhappy with the M family, fairly or not. These murders have opened a can of worms and this is the perfect time to allow the large audience, looking in, to understand their point of view.

I was once close to a case that received international attention. The defense attorneys were battling a biased media and a corrupt DA. So they began making filings in NC (an open file state) that included actual witness statements, as we saw yesterday. Then blogs and (the few) friendly media could link to actual documents, as we saw yesterday. Thank God, the public became aware of what they did not know and what was massaged to look a different way. They came to understand what was being withheld from them as well…to fit a narrative.

The SS case is getting another look. Those that feel that the way the MB investigation was a travesty, have now put actual witness statements into the public domain.

You read. You decide.

If this were your daughter lying dead in the weeds, would you feel that the investigation was fair to her?

In my opinion, prior to these murders, there may have been fear to come forward. There may have been a sense of helplessness.

But in my opinion, all that is coming out now, has caused a sea change. That’s why this attorney moved now. If nothing else, if he never files, he has gotten actual witness statements out into the public domain. We each can decide from there.

My opinions and uninformed guesses only as always.

My guess is that the moment was right.

I think there were many people, including those in the legal system, that were unhappy with the M family, fairly or not. These murders have opened a can of worms and this is the perfect time to allow the large audience, looking in, to understand their point of view.

I was once close to a case that received international attention. The defense attorneys were battling a biased media and a corrupt DA. So they began making filings in NC (an open file state) that included actual witness statements, as we saw yesterday. Then blogs and (the few) friendly media could link to actual documents, as we saw yesterday. Thank God, the public became aware of what they did not know and what was massaged to look a different way. They came to understand what was being withheld from them as well…to fit a narrative.

The SS case is getting another look. Those that feel that the way the MB investigation was a travesty, have now put actual witness statements into the public domain.

You read. You decide.

If this were your daughter lying dead in the weeds, would you feel that the investigation was fair to her?

In my opinion, prior to these murders, there may have been fear to come forward. There may have been a sense of helplessness.

But in my opinion, all that is coming out now, has caused a sea change. That’s why this attorney moved now. If nothing else, if he never files, he has gotten actual witness statements out into the public domain. We each can decide from there.

My opinions and uninformed guesses only as always.

Perhaps. It just seems like odd timing and, as Cryptic said above, it seems like a weak suit anyway.

Perhaps. It just seems like odd timing and, as Cryptic said above, it seems like a weak suit anyway.

‘But if the objective is exposing how this investigation took place…particularly if he believes it was truly egregiously unfair, then he may believe his objective is already achieved.

Let’s say…that this attorney and his client are among the people that feel that the M family has way too much power. Well, he’s shining a big spotlight on it…at a moment when the world is tuned in.

Maybe that’s all he wants to do. It’s a kind of vengeance in a way, in my opinion.

But then, I could be all wrong. Maybe the locals are content for the most part, with the way things are run. And maybe it’s just about very good lawyering.

Edited to add…I also like the theory that it’s a settlement tactic…that someone posted earlier.

Murdaugh homicide: Autopsy details, SLED timeline released

On Tuesday, June 15, SLED and the Colleton County Coroner's Office stated that the Murdaugh autopsies are complete and confirmed that both victims died from multiple gunshot wounds sometime between 9 and 9:30 p.m. on Monday, June 7.”

That’s an awfully precise time of death window for a Coroner to come up with. I hope this isn’t another example of the Coroner/Medical examiner substituting info from LE for that gained through their own examination of the body.

Like when they did Steven Smith’s “autopsy”— Official cause of death was “struck by vehicle” what with LE telling them he had been found in the road and all. Far less complicated to infer CoD based on LE’s comments than grapple with that pesky-bullet-wound-like-thingee on the victim’s head.

Last edited:

On Tuesday, June 15, SLED and the Colleton County Coroner's Office stated that the Murdaugh autopsies are complete and confirmed that both victims died from multiple gunshot wounds sometime between 9 and 9:30 p.m. on Monday, June 7.”

That’s an awfully precise time of death window for a Coroner to come up with. I hope this isn’t another example of the Coroner/Medical examiner substituting info from LE for that gained through their own examination of the body.

Like when they did Steven Smith’s “autopsy”— Official cause of death was “struck by vehicle” what with LE telling them he had been found in the road and all. Far less complicated to infer CoD based on LE’s comments than grapple with that pesky-bullet-wound-like-thingee on the victim’s head.

Partially BBM

Not necessarily - perhaps the Coroner knew that PM/MM had left the hospital where RM3 was admitted at a certain time and calculated their arrival time @ Moselle. Couple that with medical knowledge such as blood loss, lack of rigor mortis, and body temperature and you have the answer.

What Physically Happens to Your Body Right After Death

What Physically Happens to Your Body Right After Death

At Hour 1

The expected decrease in body temperature during algor mortis can help forensic scientists approximate the time of death, assuming the body hasn't completely cooled or been exposed to extreme environmental temperatures.

Partially BBM

Not necessarily - perhaps the Coroner knew that PM/MM had left the hospital where RM3 was admitted at a certain time and calculated their arrival time @ Moselle. Couple that with medical knowledge such as blood loss, lack of rigor mortis, and body temperature and you have the answer.
That time space certainly favors AM. Jiggle the time back a bit and you've got a rock solid alibi Say from 10 to 9 or 9:30.

That time space certainly favors AM. Jiggle the time back a bit and you've got a rock solid alibi Say from 10 to 9 or 9:30.

I agree, as far as I see it ppl for the most part in that area that had/has a job that intertwines or is connected to that law firm or the law in general in that area will go with what is suggested to keep jobs and upset the way thinks have always been.

I’ve got a feeling that we shall gather in the Cold Case section on this one at some point.

Looks like all LE has at this point are shell casings, may or may not have finger prints. If the killers went there to do just that I doubt there will be any prints. Not sure about IDing shotgun shells but the casings from the semi auto 223? Should tell something. Unless a brass catcher was used and those are not there.

Jmo

As a side note, 223 casings can be reused.

Murdaugh double murders: Fatal boat crash survivor alleges attempted cover-up in South Carolina

The petition seeks phone records and a chance to depose several witnesses – members of the local sheriff’s department as well as South Carolina Department of Natural Resources officers – who responded to the crash.

They are former South Carolina Department of Natural Resources officers Robin Camlin and Michael Brock, the latter of whom is now at the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, as well as current DNR officer Austin Pritcher, along with John Leroy Keener and Troy Andrew Krapf of the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office.

Copy of the Petition filed by CC, along with depositions of LEOs from the Beach lawsuit are attached to the article.

I nominate this post for the most intuitive post to date.

Thanks and I don’t arrive at this lightly since I’ve seen SLED get to the bottom of some complicated situations both in my region of the upstate and beyond. It’s just that the politics, money, and all of the conflicting reports in the cases connected to this have just drastically diminished my faith and trust. I initially thought that the small area coupled with the high profile would create enough pressure to flush out whoever done this.
I’m aware too that these good old boy games don’t only exist in SC, tho it’s rampant, but people buy power and scratch backs in the biggest cities and smallest counties across this country.

Thanks and I don’t arrive at this lightly since I’ve seen SLED get to the bottom of some complicated situations both in my region of the upstate and beyond. It’s just that the politics, money, and all of the conflicting reports in the cases connected to this have just drastically diminished my faith and trust. I initially thought that the small area coupled with the high profile would create enough pressure to flush out whoever done this.
I’m aware too that these good old boy games don’t only exist in SC, tho it’s rampant, but people buy power and scratch backs in the biggest cities and smallest counties across this country.

In this complicated of a case, I would not expect a quick solution if you look at all of the possibilities and potential suspects. There is a lot of ground for SLED to cover. If SLED was indeed starting from scratch, think of all of the face-to-face interviews, case research, possible surveillance, lab testing, financial record analysis, cell phone data extraction and GPS positioning, alibi checks, etc they have to do.

In this complicated of a case, I would not expect a quick solution if you look at all of the possibilities and potential suspects. There is a lot of ground for SLED to cover. If SLED was indeed starting from scratch, think of all of the face-to-face interviews, case research, possible surveillance, lab testing, financial record analysis, cell phone data extraction and GPS positioning, alibi checks, etc they have to do.

Believe me, I would be thrilled to be wrong. I’m just saying that given it’s small town USA, I erred in figuring that somebody who knows something would have slipped and said it. Every criminal don’t live, and die in a lot of cases, by the biker code. I agree that it’s a lot of ground to cover and I probably expected too much too soon. But there is so much muddy water now that I can’t help but to doubt.

Believe me, I would be thrilled to be wrong. I’m just saying that given it’s small town USA, I erred in figuring that somebody who knows something would have slipped and said it. Every criminal don’t live, and die in a lot of cases, by the biker code. I agree that it’s a lot of ground to cover and I probably expected too much too soon. But there is so much muddy water now that I can’t help but to doubt.

Hypothetically, the killer(s) could have been hired by one person to take out Paul, could be from out-of-state and were in and out of Islandton quickly and in the dark. Unless that one person leaks something or the killer(s) talk, SLED has a tough one on their hands and may never solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa