SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by worm, Jun 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

The first step is a preliminary hearing that Murdaugh would have to request in writing or orally within the next ten days.

“That’s a hearing to determine if there’s enough evidence to go forward in this case. We would hear testimony from the arresting law enforcement agency who investigated this,” said South Carolina Criminal Defense Attorney Susan E. Williams.

Murdaugh would not have the chance to testify at this hearing, but his attorneys could cross examine law enforcement. If there is enough probable cause for the case from the preliminary hearing then the process moves along.

“After the preliminary hearing there will be something called a first appearance depending on if Hampton County is issuing dates on those right now,” said Williams.

<modsnip>
    Legal expert speaks on Alex Murdaugh’s road ahead | WCBD News 2

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2021

2. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

I felt like AM's lawyer basically conceded guilt today. Don't see a trial on these charges. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2021
  3. otto

otto Verified Expert

I'm curious how intent to commit insurance fraud is a realistic charge since the intent completely fell apart when he wasn't really shot and he immediately called for assistance.

It's my belief that the shooting was meant to convince investigators that Alex was a victim of the same person who shot his wife and son. The shooter was supposed to miss, which is why Alex called police to report the shooting and called emergency medical care to report a minor injury.

Police can't prove that, but is a failed, hopeless attempt at hired suicide a crime, regardless of whether the motive was insurance money?

It sounds like a conversation about insurance fraud without actual intent.

4. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

I see nothn’. Just looks like he lost his comb.:D

5. JaimeInLA

JaimeInLA Team Juan

I agree 100% and will add that the goal for AM was to frame cousin Eddie for the double murder via this “he shot me too!!” plan.

But he was surprised by that darned church surveillance video, which ruined his entire plot.

6. ajaylee

ajaylee Well-Known Member

Do we know anything about the disposition of AM's father's estate?

7. sunshineray

sunshineray Well-Known Member

MILLIONS!! Does what S lawyer Bland is saying mean that Lloyd's of London paid out millions in her case? OMG what kind of insurance scams have these lawyers been pulling off?!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  8. sunshineray

Stay strong and healthy. You did good <3

9. sun16

sun16 Well-Known Member

A few things I’ve been wondering.

How much does BM know about … lots of freakin’ stuff? He ought to be able to shed light on many things, if they can get him to talk.

How can AM have been doing opioids for 20 years (my god), but has no major, visible health issues? I just don’t buy this addiction.

How much was the life insurance policy benefit on MM, has that paid out yet due to investigations, and I assume the beneficiaries would now be AM and/or BM?

How long did the firm fraud go on for? Because these are smart people working there, and I would think this would have been caught within 90 days or less, unless multiple people were in on it.

10. sunshineray

Yeah when he moves back from Rhode Island:rolleyes:

8paws, Marg from Oz, al66pine and 8 others like this.
  11. MerryB

MerryB Well-Known Member

Do y’all think SLED has more to charge him with?

12. sunshineray

I don't know, Eddie's already getting a bad rap. Yeah ok, he said yes to shooting him, he took the gun when AM gave it to him, he followed him to a lonely place, fired 7-10 shots BUT he only superficial grazed AM. I mean the man clearly didn't want to kill drug-addled AM. He even got rid of the gun for him. I mean as far as assassins go, Eddies' pretty A-ok no?

Norrmajean, 8paws, Noki45 and 13 others like this.
  13. sunshineray

To the dirt and trees maybe. He didn't even damage the Mercedes.

14. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

Are you saying that because Smith didn't succeed in killing him and the rest of the plan fell apart (AM called for help), it invalidates AM's plan and intent for the insurance money? Sorry, just want to understand what you're asking.

15. sandcastle00

sandcastle00 Well-Known Member

Exactly - many drug addicts don't even live into their late 20s especially if they are doing drugs like oxy, let alone sustain the addiction for 20 years. There's a reason why most rehab centers have younger people who are drug addicts and older ones who are alcoholics. Drug addicts simply do not live as long on average.

16. StrangerThanFiction

StrangerThanFiction Well-Known Member

Bed head, plain and simple.

17. otto

otto Verified Expert

I think that the lawyer and the housekeeper's family discussed suing for $2+ million, but the lawyer secretly settled for $500k and kept the money.

18. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

:D5 star post! Ol’ Senator Hootenanny! Never saw the BC- musta been my lucky day!

19. otto

otto Verified Expert

I'm thinking that intent to commit insurance fraud requires filing documents to fraudulently collect insurance money and then getting caught. I'm curious how a conversation about insurance fraud (if that indeed occurred) if he were shot dead constitutes insurance fraud. No action was taken that remotely supports insurance fraud.

20. Lux et Veritas

Lux et Veritas Well-Known Member

If Alex had gunshot "entry" and "exit" wounds, as claimed, he'd have at least one shaved portion of his hair OR two visible wounds on bare skin. From all angles, we see NOTHING. CES (or even Alex?) may have shot 7-10 rounds into the woods and/or air but he did not shoot Alex. In fact, I can see no injuries whatsoever on or around his head.

I'm starting to get the feeling that AM & attorneys have selected the perfect scapegoat in CES; they're gonna railroad him into bad, bad things, i.e. prison for life for double murder?

JudgeJoe, 8paws, Noki45 and 22 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.