SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse my poor drawing skills....

Here's an aerial photo (from the real estate site when it was listed for sale) that mostly shows where the house (bottom center of the photo) was in relation to the kennels/lean-to shed (upper center left of the photo), the two driveway entrances, the road.

View attachment 398089

Now, I want to know where/how AM drove his vehicle at various times coming & going....

MOO.

ETA: My drawings are not to scale, the road may be further away, etc. This is just to show a general layout....
See there is a very contrived long stand of trees closer to us and going from the area of the house drive down to the working area? Between that longer rectangle of trees and the less dense newer grouping further away there is a straight bare area. That's where the landing strip was when the Boulwares owned the property and it was used more recently as the drive between the house and the working area. I am pretty sure. MOO.

I thought one of the first responders today testified that Alex had explained to him that after finding the bodies and while talking to the 911 dispatcher, he drove up that way to the house to retrieve a shotgun for safety. If you can bare to listen again to all the LE testimony, I think whomever said that, described the location of AM's tire marks pretty specifically -- I think it was Chapman -- he testified so long. MOO.

PS: there are better aerial views of the property in the Media thread. Might help you.

Maybe other remember better but I thought they only talked about his tire marks during that movement, not how he had come into the property. Am I wrong?

I very well could have missed it, but has there been any official statement on who is thought to have been shot first? I originally had thought that the bodies were further apart than what they were. However from what I'm seeing from studying the diagram and many photos of the area from different angles, they weren't really that far apart in the grand scheme of things. That now brings me to who was shot first and why the use of 2 separate fire arms for 1 shooter. I'm beginning to rethink my initial impression of this, but I don't want to be swayed by hear-say or rumor, I prefer to form my ideas based on official statements rather than conjecture.
In the Opening Statement the State claimed that Paul was shot first, and moments later, Maggie was shot.

In the Opening Statement the State claimed that Paul was shot first, and moments later, Maggie was shot.
Thank you! I have had to work all day yesterday and wasn't able to listen to the opening statements yet. I my day off today running errands and trying to keep up with what was going on in court today. I need to go back and listen to the openings hopefully this weekend.

I very well could have missed it, but has there been any official statement on who is thought to have been shot first? I originally had thought that the bodies were further apart than what they were. However from what I'm seeing from studying the diagram and many photos of the area from different angles, they weren't really that far apart in the grand scheme of things. That now brings me to who was shot first and why the use of 2 separate fire arms for 1 shooter. I'm beginning to rethink my initial impression of this, but I don't want to be swayed by hear-say or rumor, I prefer to form my ideas based on official statements rather than conjecture.
@KentuckyFilly79, I found listening to opening statements and some of testimony or at least an overview article for each day helps me stay on top of this.

Several MSM and podcasters are providing good overviews. ABC's Anne Emerson does a daily recap with the former AG of SC Charlie Condon in Unsolved South Carolina | The Murdaughs: Murder, Money & Mystery

@KentuckyFilly79, I found listening to opening statements and some of testimony or at least an overview article for each day helps me stay on top of this.

Several MSM and podcasters are providing good overviews. ABC's Anne Emerson does a daily recap with the former AG of SC Charlie Condon in Unsolved South Carolina | The Murdaughs: Murder, Money & Mystery
My plan is to go back and listen to the openings this weekend. I work long hours and had to spend most of my day off today running errands then I got caught up in the recaps of todays court day. I've got a list on Twitter dedicated to just the Murdaugh case, but whew! its quite a bit! LOL This forum has been very helpful as well!

My plan is to go back and listen to the openings this weekend. I work long hours and had to spend most of my day off today running errands then I got caught up in the recaps of todays court day. I've got a list on Twitter dedicated to just the Murdaugh case, but whew! its quite a bit! LOL This forum has been very helpful as well!
No worries! I think all our schedules ebb and flow. It's tough to miss a day!

I just happened to be retired and having a few quiet days. Not sure if my dear husband is going to put up with my obsession for three weeks! I try to get him engaged by asking procedural questions. He's former JAG where he worked both as prosecutor and defense in criminal cases. He comes in handy! :):)

Just my own assumption that when Paul was shot twice, Maggie began running. She didn't get very far before he dropped her dead, too.

Hearing today that only Paul's face remained because his brain flew up to the top of the overhang at the kennel and landed near his ankle made me weep because that was his own daddy shooting him in such a horrendous fashion.

Buster's mind must be conflicted over his love for his mother and brother and what his father is accused of doing to them.

moo

I want to know more about the water.
DM sure move off of that fast. MOO
Pure speculation but I think AM may have needed to return to scene of his own crime because of a misstep he wanted to correct. Might've been the phone itself.

I think he attempted to retrieve Paul's cellphone, possibly realized he was leaving footprints so gave up on the phone and instead focused on washing away his tracks.

JMO

The testimony about PM's car being found on the side of the road on Rte 63 the day after the murders is a completely new fact that I wasn't expecting. Anyone have any thoughts about it?
I’ll have to admit, this is throwing me a bit. I’m very interested to see how the State presents it and their thoughts as to how and why it was there.

When thinking about disposing of the rifle forever, I remember from our early days on this case, people talking about back ways into the Moselle property, trails throughout, and that it actually bordered the Salkehatchie River. Just within a week or 10 days after the murders, SLED agents were seen down in the bogs off on Rte. 63 where it crosses over the Salkehatie.

Here are photos of the area and you can see what type of geography would challenge LE in their searches: Post #5 in thread 'SC - Paul Murdaugh,22 & Mom Margaret,52, 7 June 2021 *Media, Maps, Timeline-NO DISCUSSION*'

Last edited:
When thinking about disposing of the rifle forever, I remember from our early days on this case, people talking about back ways into the Moselle property, trails throughout, and that it actually bordered the Salkehatchie River. Just within a week or 10 days after the murders, SLED agents were seen down in the bogs off on Rte. 63 where it crosses over the Salkehatie.

Here are photos of the area and you can see what type of geography would challenge LE in their searches: Post #5 in thread 'SC - Paul Murdaugh,22 & Mom Margaret,52, 7 June 2021 *Media, Maps, Timeline-NO DISCUSSION*'

@Seattle1 and @Cindizzi — I lost track. Did anyone ever say where on Rte 63 they found Paul’s truck? Was it near Moselle or closer to Hampton?

@Seattle1 and @Cindizzi — I lost track. Did anyone ever say where on Rte 63 they found Paul’s truck? Was it near Moselle or closer to Hampton?
Most have only reported the truck found in Hampton County but this provides that neither the prosecutor nor the officer gave more details other than Hwy 63.

Jan 26, 2023

Chapman testified that the distance from the main residence and the dog kennels, where the bodies were found, was roughly 1,000 yards. The only family vehicle at the scene when officers responded to the 911 call was the SUV Murdaugh was driving, and Chapman doubted that the pair would have walked that far on a hot, humid night with a rain storm coming in.

The officer later testified that Paul's Ford F-250 had been reportedly been moved from the estate and
was found just inside Hampton County, on Highway 63, but neither the officer nor the prosecution elaborated on who may have moved the vehicle, where exactly it was found, or any other details.

I finally caught up with Thursday's testimony and have to give a shout-out to Deputy Jason Chapman, Colleton County Sheriff's Office, for being an excellent witness! Especially after DH was so patronizing to Sgt Greene and other first responders and completely and intentionally directed his examination to paint a contaminated crime scene.

I appreciated Deputy Chapman confirming he (critically) listens to 911 calls before approaching a scene and after listening to AM's call, picked out critical information even before he exited his vehicle-- including that AM told the dispatch that his last contact with MM was IN PERSON about 2 hours earlier; AM said he touched the bodies for signs of life; and AM went back to the house to get a firearm.

Essentially, from the 911 call alone, Deputy Chapman knew that the house was potentially an extension of the crime scene when AM left the victims' bodies to collect a weapon.

It was impossible to check for signs of life on the neck/wrists of the victims based on the hands/wrists being beneath the bodies and the catastrophic head injuries.

AM's vehicle was parked with the headlights toward PM's body but the reflection of the lights allowed Deputy Chapman to pick up on the tire tracks from the grass in MM's direction. He was very soon aware the vehicle that matched the tracks was missing from the scene and questioned how the victims got to the kennels from the house.

Chapman also noted that although there were additional dogs in the kennels, there was standing water in only one area (near Paul) and it had not started raining yet.

Recalling how DH directed his examination of Sgt Greene-- alluding to how dog owners typically get rid of animal waste.

As to the discoloration in the water that could possibly be blood, I wonder if a water sample was tested. Given DH's over-the-top objection to the question of potential blood near the kennels, I wonder what DH is so afraid of here. MOO

Most have only reported the truck found in Hampton County but this provides that neither the prosecutor nor the officer gave more details other than Hwy 63.

Jan 26, 2023

Chapman testified that the distance from the main residence and the dog kennels, where the bodies were found, was roughly 1,000 yards. The only family vehicle at the scene when officers responded to the 911 call was the SUV Murdaugh was driving, and Chapman doubted that the pair would have walked that far on a hot, humid night with a rain storm coming in.

The officer later testified that Paul's Ford F-250 had been reportedly been moved from the estate and
was found just inside Hampton County, on Highway 63, but neither the officer nor the prosecution elaborated on who may have moved the vehicle, where exactly it was found, or any other details.

The county line is the Salkehatchie River, sounds like it was just on the south side of river.

Makes me wonder if a second person drove it there and maybe AM picked that person up on way to mom’s.

Idk. Jmo

Any thoughts about the positions of the bodies and where AM would have been standing to shoot each?

I was assuming that Maggie and Paul would have fallen away from the shooter. And there was mention that Maggie was running from the shooter. Based on the drawing, would AM have gone around the lean-to building? Or would he have remained mostly in an area between the kennels and the lean-to building?

MOO.

1674824725959.png
Drawing from here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads