SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why he is Paul lying face down with his head away from the shed. Paul is blue arrow in illustration. If he was shot in the back, he would fall forward, but the brains are in the shed and on the open door, so was he shot in the face and he fell forward? He was shot in the back of the head, he fell backward, but then he should being facing up, not facedown as he was found. What am I missing?

"When asked about Paul’s body, she noted that his cell phone was laying on the back of his shorts where he lay facedown. He lay outside of the feed room and they processed it as part of the crime scene.

She found a shotshell wad on the floor as well as blood and tissues in addition to a piece of a skull. There was damage to a window and blood and hair were found near the top of the door as well as behind it.

There were two 12-gauge shotshells behind the door and pellets on the floor. All were photographed and collected as evidence. There were many shoeprints in the feed room, as Agent Worley testified that the unknown shoeprints in the room were consistent with the shoes worn by Paul when he died and that the shoeprints were facing the window."

I've been trying to puzzle this out as well. Is it possible he was hit in the chest and face which blew him backward. But he hit the side of the doorframe stopping his momentum and fell forward?

At what point did AM confess to being at the property that night? Was it after Paul's phone was unlocked? Early on, his "cast iron alibi" had him seemingly everywhere else but there. Since then, we've learnt that he had arranged to meet Maggie, and was in fact filmed by Paul-audio at least-only minutes before the time the murders were committed. When did his story change?

On a day that he was busted at work, and his father was only a couple of days from death and had to be taken to hospital, it seems really weird to me that he was napping, (who could sleep??), visiting, and making so many phone calls. That is not what most of us would be doing in that situation.

(Sorry about font, I can't turn it off this morning)

I recall contemplating earlier that maybe MM wasn't supposed to die that night until the plan to visit his dad didn't go as planned after John Marvin decided to drive his dad two hours to St Joseph Hospital in Savannah instead of the local care facility he'd been going in and out of.

There could have been a sliver of truth to AM telling MM she couldn't meet him at the hospital because it wasn't yet decided and instead insisted MM just meet him at the house where they'd go together.

I can definitely see the sociopath wanting to use MM one last time for some street or family cred with his dad when they showed up together to visit him for what would be the last time.

Actually, I think his dad's opinion mattered to AM.

I recall AM was said to be really pulling on the sympathy string --telling MM that his dad really wanted to see her.

But I don't have any idea when MM arrived Moselle and whether or not the three of them had a meal together.

I think probably waited until MM got to Moselle before telling her dad was in Savannah. Given the hour, maybe the plan was to go see dad in the morning.

Or maybe MM told AM she didn't want to go see her father-in-law if not nearby and was going to wait for PM to finish up with the dogs and the sunflowers and she'd drive him to collect his truck from his uncle.

I just hope we learn the truth very soon! MOO
Murdaugh said at one point that he'd been driving around with Paul during the day. Maggie texted a friend that something was up since Murdaugh wanted her to meet at the property rather than his mother's house. I think Paul's vehicle was swapped with an uncle ??? - perhaps he was tuning up Paul's truck? Did I understand correctly that Paul was at Moselle and he did not have his own vehicle?

It sounds like a set up where Maggie is supposed to meet Alex at Moselle and she knows he's up to something. Paul is driving around with Alex all day ... did Alex drive Paul to Moselle, then visit his mother, then return to Moselle? Is that the story?

I've been trying to puzzle this out as well. Is it possible he was hit in the chest and face which blew him backward. But he hit the side of the doorframe stopping his momentum and fell forward?

Possibly so but I seem to recall (maybe in opening statements, which are not considered as evidence) that Paul's head was blow off and only his face remained. Maybe the Defense said this so the Jury would think to themselves:

No man would do this awful thing to their son.

Can't quite get my head around the idea that Paul's head was blown off. His brains were on the ceiling, door, wall, floor, everywhere. There can't be much left of the skull when the brains are everywhere. That doesn't seem like an accidental killing.

Alex's troubles started with the boating accident. That open the door to lawsuits and financial disclosures. Alex was afraid his fraud would be discovered. His wife must have known something about the financial trouble. The family properties were in Maggie's name, and it sounds like divorce was close. If Maggie died, Alex (beneficiary) could use the property to clear his debt - while hoping to keep the fraud a secret.

Paul made a mess of Alex's life and Alex didn't want it to happen again. His wife was worth so much more dead than alive. Alex's troubles started with the boating accident, so the first thing he told police was the motive: boating accident revenge.
And supposedly AM tried to turn over his son's body?

At what point did AM confess to being at the property that night? Was it after Paul's phone was unlocked? Early on, his "cast iron alibi" had him seemingly everywhere else but there. Since then, we've learnt that he had arranged to meet Maggie, and was in fact filmed by Paul-audio at least-only minutes before the time the murders were committed. When did his story change?

On a day that he was busted at work, and his father was only a couple of days from death and had to be taken to hospital, it seems really weird to me that he was napping, (who could sleep??), visiting, and making so many phone calls. That is not what most of us would be doing in that situation.

(Sorry about font, I can't turn it off this morning)
On the 911 call AM said he went out (i.e., left the property) and when he returned he found them dead. He said the same thing when LE interviewed him the night of the murders.

The thing that made no sense to me is AM checking their pulses when there was such colossal damage to their bodies. Was he really expecting there could be a pulse? Also, if it was me in that situation, I would have gotten straight in my car and driven like a bat out of he** away from there. I would not be going back to the house for a gun or sitting nearby calling 911. But I guess everyone reacts differently. JMO.

Wowza, my hinky meter pegged out when I read this (BBM in MSM article excerpted below), that AM gave his theory to LE on reasons for the killings right away at the scene! MOO!

Alex Murdaugh didn't cry over dead wife and son, first officer on scene testifies​

CBS News
1/26/2023

[...]
Murdaugh also faces about 100 charges related to other crimes, including money laundering, stealing millions from clients and the family law firm, tax evasion and trying to get a man to fatally shoot him so his surviving son could collect a $10 million life insurance policy. He was being held in jail without bail on those counts before he was charged with murder.

Since the killings, Murdaugh's life has seen a stunningly fast downfall. His family dominated the legal system in tiny neighboring Hampton County for generations, both as prosecutors and private attorneys known for getting life-changing settlements for accidents and negligence cases.

Scrutiny into the Murdaughs had started more than two years before the killings. Paul Murdaugh was charged with felony boating under the influence after investigators said he was driving a boat that crashed and killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach, who was on board.

Alex Murdaugh came to the emergency room and talked to others on the boat the night of the February 2019 crash. News accounts and the family of the teen killed suggested he was trying to use his influence to stymy the investigation and deflect blame from his son.

When Greene approached the night of the killings, Alex Murdaugh almost immediately brought up the crash.

"This is a long story. My son was in a boat wreck a while back. We've been getting threats, I know that's what it is," Murdaugh said on Greene's body camera."

ETA: It certainly Does sound like a "long story"^^^^^... do tell!

Alex Murdaugh didn't cry over dead wife and son, first officer on scene testifies

Last edited:
I recall contemplating earlier that maybe MM wasn't supposed to die that night until the plan to visit his dad didn't go as planned after John Marvin decided to drive his dad two hours to St Joseph Hospital in Savannah instead of the local care facility he'd been going in and out of.

There could have been a sliver of truth to AM telling MM she couldn't meet him at the hospital because it wasn't yet decided and instead insisted MM just meet him at the house where they'd go together.

I can definitely see the sociopath wanting to use MM one last time for some street or family cred with his dad when they showed up together to visit him for what would be the last time.

I recall AM was said to be really pulling on the sympathy string --telling MM that his dad really wanted to see her.

But I don't have any idea when MM arrived Moselle and whether or not the three of them had a meal together.

I think probably waited until MM got to Moselle before telling her dad was in Savannah. Given the hour, maybe the plan was to go see dad in the morning.

Or maybe MM told AM she didn't want to go see her father-in-law if not nearby and was going to wait for PM to finish up with the dogs and the sunflowers and she'd drive him to collect his truck from his uncle.

The victims had similar contents in their stomach at autopsy. I believe at least those two dined before dying.

"According to the State's timeline, Maggie arrived at Moselle 8:15 p.m. on June 7, 2021 from Edisto. Around 8:30 p.m., Paul’s phone moved toward the kennels. Alex said he was napping and never went to the kennels."

Here's what we learned during opening statements in the Murdaugh murder trial

Why did DH ask the judge to recess for the weekend when the state was still in the process of interviewing a witness? Or did I miss something?
Just another opportunity to show the jury that he's in charge in this courtroom. He's imparting this same message when he thanks the judge for a ruling in his favor and when he space invades the witness and the prosecution and again when he stands up when the prosecution objects. Theater is what it is and he's a master at it.
jmo

The thing that made no sense to me is AM checking their pulses when there was such colossal damage to their bodies. Was he really expecting there could be a pulse? Also, if it was me in that situation, I would have gotten straight in my car and driven like a bat out of he** away from there. I would not be going back to the house for a gun or sitting nearby calling 911. But I guess everyone reacts differently. JMO.

Attempting to check Paul's pulse is a ridiculous statement. He fell with his arms under his body. His head was blown off with only his face remaining. The other place to check for a pulse is on either side of the neck.

It didn't happen and the Jury will agree with us that it doesn't make good sense. imo

That doesn't work. His feet are located at the blood stain next to the door.

NYPost

Attachments

• 1674863957781.png
    1674863957781.png
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 1674864392560.png
    1674864392560.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 75
Where was Maggie coming from? Do we know how she spent her day? Did she bring Paul to Moselle? Felt better, thinking at least she wouldn't have to be alone with AM?

Her footprints, do they suggest she arrived before AM and was waiting, pacing?

It would seem that AM made a career of destroying families (stealing their settlements) before destroying his own, in a matter of minutes.

Ghastly.

JMO

That doesn't work. His feet are located at the blood stain next to the door.

PM was first shot in the chest and arm area. Was the killer aiming for the heart but Paul moved a little bit?
Then, Paul was shot in the head while the killer was within 3'+-

"Maggie < > was found face down after being shot five times <> three of the blasts were while she was standing.

But two of the shots would have been instantly fatal, hitting her brain. One of those first went through her left breast, the other was fired into the back of her head. < > one appeared to be fired while she was “holding herself up on her knees and … her right hand with her shoulders and head down.”

... son was < > face down, having been shot twice — with a shotgun
< > first hit in the chest “from several feet away,” leaving him standing and heading for a door — before the second round in the neck and shoulder blew out his brain and immediately killed him.

“Brain was severed and exited through the anatomical right side < >. … Brain was completely detached from (his) head..."

Forensic report reveals gruesome details about Murdaugh murders

Don't think this was ever posted.

2h
There is a dispute over blood spatter on #AlexMurdaugh's clothes and whether it was spatter or transfer. Defense says t-shirt was destroyed and start pressured witness to change testimony.

Oh, really? When did they do that? Are they allowed to do that? IANAL, but it doesn't sound like an appropriate action, especially once a trial has begun.

This is like a John Grisham novel.

I know, and he even asked LE after they arrived at the scene if they were sure they had checked that they had no pulse and they were really dead. o_O Such an unusual thing to be focused on, IMO, when your spouse and child have just been brutally murdered.... do they have a pulse... ETA: maybe he just was in disbelief/shock and couldn't take it in that they were really dead

This is pure speculation on my part. Do you remember Maggie"s will from 2005 that named her sister as what I would call the executor? and, do you remember the undated unsigned codicil that was found that removed the sister and named her father-in-law executor? I think AM drafted that codicil and intended to sign and date it and then kill her so she couldn't contest it. With MM dead, the father-in-law would then dispose of her estate and could sign for her half of the beach property that AM was wanting to use for collateral on a loan. I don't know for sure but I have read somewhere that MM was the sole owner of record for the Moselle property (someone correct me if this is wrong) and if that's the case, the father-in-law could abdicate his responsibility in favor of someone else in the GOB Network that would facilitate Moselle belonging to BM and AM quickly so that property too could be put up as collateral for additional loans. I don't know how the father-in-law's death would have affected that unsigned undated codicil.
jmo & moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member