SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
This witness alerted authorities to AM.
Why do you think so? Perhaps he was screwed when doing business together. Too many trusted him, for all the wrong reasons.
When I served on a triple murder trial in NC, we were allowed to write notes. They were taken and locked up by bailiff at the end of the day.
Jury is allowed, even encouraged to take notes in some states. In the Darrell Brooks case, Jurors were provided with notepads, which were collected each time the Jury left the courtroom. Perhaps it depends on how complicated a case is, or how many victims there are? IMPOV, it would help keep my ideas organized, and prioritized. Off Topic a bit, but when my Mother was murdered, we, the family did not look much at the Jury, but we each had legal pads, and took copious notes, like we were studying for a college class. It was the only thing that gave us a sense of control. We had to 'do Something'. As Mom was well known, Reporters were always waiting to question us, but we all (I am oldest of 3) waited until after the Trial to speak to any Reporter, as we wanted the Assistant DA to control the commentary as much as possible.

Tweets afternoon lunch break returned at 2:15 pm ET

We're back in session.

Judge Newman indicates we won't return to the financial/motive piece of this case until tomorrow. So that won't get cleared up this afternoon, as some might have hoped.

The jury is back. The state calls its 20th witness, 14th Circuit investigator Dylan Hightower. He downloaded the contents of Alex Murdaugh's phone a few days after the slayings. (Technically, Seckinger is no longer the 20th witness since the jury didn't hear her).

Hightower was at Moselle on 6/8/21, the day after the slayings. He took drone footage of the property. He says there were some pine trees between the main house and the dog kennels, but they were short, about 6-8 feet tall. They have since grown quite a bit, obstructing the view.

But in June 2021, Hightower testifies, “you did get a clear channel, a clear view, between the kennels and the residence.” Prosecutor John Conrad trying to establish that Murdaugh should have been able to see the kennels before he left Moselle that night after 9 p.m.

Conrad isn't saying that out loud, obviously. Prosecutors aren't doing a whole lot of "explaining their point" in this trial. But that's the implication, especially as Harpootlian has said you can't see the kennels from the house and has said he wants to take jury to see Moselle.

Hightower testifies about using Find My iPhone to find Maggie’s iPhone. He took photos of it but didn’t touch it himself once he found it. Maggie’s phone has not been touched since he took the photos, Hightower said.

Hightower testifies about reviewing Alex Murdaugh’s call records from Verizon and comparing them with the data from his cell phone. On Murdaugh’s phone, he found two calls on the date of the slayings - 6/7/21. On the Verizon record, there were 73 more calls. They had been deleted

Conrad finishes questioning Hightower. Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian rises for the first time today (after barely being involved yesterday) to cross-examine Hightower.

Harpootlian establishes with Hightower that in the day after the shooting, police put up no roadblocks, put out no PSAs warning people there was an active shooter on the loose, didn’t search the woods and fields of Moselle for another shooter.

Harpootlian is trying to show investigators zeroed in on Murdaugh as their suspect from Day 1. He also asks Hightower if he knew about a Colleton County Sheriff's Office statement issued the next day saying there was no danger to the public.

Hightower says he was not aware of that. He's now the third law enforcement witness in this trial, including two from CCSO, to claim no knowledge of that statement - which many outlets reported, and which law enforcement never tried to correct (if it was untrue)

The jury knows that Alex Murdaugh had Maggie’s passcode. He provided it so investigators could unlock her phone. Now Harpootlian establishes with Hightower that someone with Maggie’s passcode could have deleted anything on her phone before chucking it onto the side of the road.

We have heard of no evidence of deletions on Maggie's phone.

So far the lightest moment of the day has been Harpootlian and Hightower debating how they might flick a phone out of the window of a moving getaway car, and whether Hightower would be strong enough to do it with his off-hand

With all due respect to everyone, everywhere, it is very apparent on Twitter how easily certain info/arguments being presented in this trial are being misheard/misunderstood, and I am constantly wondering what the jurors - none of whom are taking notes - think about all this.

We are back after a short break.

The state calls its 21st witness, SLED special agent Katie McAllister.

McAllister testifies she searched the main Moselle house on 6/8/21. She had a search warrant but didn’t execute it. She didn’t want to have to displace the 20-25 people who had gathered at the home. She says she searched every room of Moselle, plus bathrooms, tubs and attics.

Harpootlian establishes with McAllister that in her entire search of the house, she found no evidence of blood or tissue in showers/tubs, nor any clothes anywhere in the house with blood/tissue. Nothing to suggest anyone had cleaned off there after committing a violent crime.

Judge Newman excuses the jury until 11:30 a.m. tomorrow.

It appears we are about to hear more financial testimony with the jury out of the room. So we have two separate trials going on at once! Fun! Terrible!

To be clear, we're having one trial, and one separate mock trial (in which we're going through everything so the judge can decide whether the jury should hear it too)

The state calls its second financial witness, Michael Gunn of Forge Consulting, the Atlanta-based financial firm that Alex Murdaugh impersonated with a fraudulent bank account.

Gunn testified PMPED attorney Lee Cope called him in September 2021 with a list of clients and asked if Forge Consulting had any files on them. Forge Consulting did not. Gunn said Cope called back the next day with another list. Forge hadn’t done work for those clients either.

Gunn said Cope asked if Forge Consulting banked with Bank of America. Gunn told him they used to, but hadn’t in 3-4 years. Gunn said he didn’t ask why Cope was asking these questions. But he found out on the Tuesday after Labor Day 2021.

Cope told Gunn then that PMPED had discovered Alex Murdaugh was using a bank account labeled “Forge” to process checks (and steal money from his clients). Prosecutor asks Gunn if that account was associated with the real Forge Consulting. “Absolutely not,” Gunn said.

Waters is now showing Gunn a series of exhibits, financial transactions involving Murdaugh’s “fake Forge” account. “Is that legit?” Waters asks about each one. “No, sir,” Gunn replies.

Gunn testifies that because of the way Forge Consulting does business, "you would never make a check payable to us.”

On cross, Murdaugh attorney Jim Griffin asks Gunn if he ever saw Maggie or Paul’s name on any documents associated with Alex Murdaugh’s “fake Forge” account at Bank of America. Gunn says no.

Griffin notes that Forge Consulting is an insurance company. Asks him if Forge Consulting sold Alex life insurance policies on Maggie or Paul’s lives. Gunn: No.

Gunn steps down. The state's third financial witness is Bamberg attorney Chris Wilson, who worked on Murdaugh on the case in which Murdaugh's $792K share of the legal fees went missing, raising alarms at PMPED.

Wilson testifies he had known Murdaugh since high school. They went to law school together at USC and lived together part of that time. “He was one of my best friends, yes.”

Waters asks Wilson if they are still good friends now. "I don’t know how I feel now, Mr. Waters.”

Wilson testifies about working a personal injury case against Mack Trucks with Murdaugh and another lawyer. They won two verdicts worth $5.5 million combined. Murdaugh’s share of the legal fees was $792,000. But before Wilson cut the check to PMPED, as usual, Murdaugh came …

... to him and asked him to send it to Murdaugh directly, saying he was going to use the money to purchase an annuity and had already cleared the arrangement with his law firm. Wilson testifies he did as Murdaugh asked.

Waters: Did Murdaugh's explanation raise any suspicion for you? Wilson: “No sir. It was different, but it didn’t raise any red flags.” “Because you trusted your friend?” “Very much.”

“As far as I knew, the (PMPED) firm was aware” that Murdaugh had gotten that $792K in legal fees directly in March 2021 and was putting them into annuities.

In mid-July 2021, Wilson testifies, Murdaugh “contacted me and said that he was not able to structure the fees the way he thought he was going to be able to do, he had messed that up.”

Wilson: Murdaugh said he needed to pay them back to Wilson’s trust account and then Wilson could pay them to PMPED. But Murdaugh only came up with $600K. He was short $192K. Murdaugh explained some of the money had gone into an annuity and he couldn't get it back.

Wilson testifies he covered Murdaugh's $192K shortfall, trusting that his friend would pay him back. Murdaugh pledged to pay him back.

Wilson testifies he saw Murdaugh at the S.C. Association of Justice’s annual convention on the first weekend of August 2021 and asked him about the $192K Murdaugh owed him. Murdaugh said he was working on getting the money.

Wilson: Murdaugh said he was getting money soon from his father’s estate. But Maggie’s estate was still tied up. Wilson said he was sensitive to Murdaugh’s emotional well-being because of the recent tragedies. “I didn’t push him.”

On Aug. 17, 2021, Wilson had Murdaugh sign a promissory note pledging to repay the $192K to Wilson within 60 days. Wilson told Murdaugh he wanted to get that in writing in case something happened to Murdaugh. He didn’t tell Murdaugh, but he was worried Murduagh might kill himself.

Wilson: On 9/3/21 PMPED attorney Lee Cope called Wilson and told him Murdaugh had been stealing money from his clients and the firm. Wilson said he called Murdaugh and called him until he finally got in touch with him.

Wilson testifies he met with Murdaugh on the front porch of Murdaugh's parents' house in Almeda. Wilson was upset. "I was so mad. I had loved the guy for so long, and I probably still love him a little bit, but I was so mad.”

Wilson is crying on the stand. He said he asked himself afterward how he didn’t know these things or see these things. He said Murdaugh confessed. “He told me that he had been stealing money.” Murdaugh said he had “*advertiser censored* me up.” He said he had “*advertiser censored* a lot of people up.”

Later that day, Wilson got a call from PMPED's Lee Cope that Murdaugh had been shot in the head. “What in the devil is going on?” Wilson said he thought. “I thought he had tried to kill himself.”

Wilson testifies he hasn't spoken with Murdaugh since. Murdaugh has texted him and even sent him a letter. One of the texts, read in court: So sorry for the havoc I created. I'd do anything to make it right.

Waters is now arguing why the jury should hear witnesses like Wilson: “For the jury to understand the reality of what he was facing, they have to understand the extent of what was going to be exposed."

Forgot to mention: The defense had no questions for Wilson. He is done (for now).

Edited: Included additional tweets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members