VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was either forced to be present or close by.

If you've ever watched Ozark I think it's possible a similar type scenario played out in real life at the Moselle property.
But if that's the case, why wouldn't Alex cop to that instead of riding out murder charges? I respectfully don't think that makes any sense.

I tend to believe that THIS judge would send the jury back for more deliberations to reach a consensus verdict, ESPECIALLY if they did not deliberate for a few days.
Good point, I forgot about that possibility, and agree Judge Newman does things by the book and would be likely to exercise some latitude in encouraging them to spend an appropriate amount of time deliberating to try and reach a unanimous verdict. MOO

Just a reminder that DNA evidence (blood spatter, touch DNA etc.) is usually considered circumstantial evidence. Forensic evidence, murder weapon details, ballistics, car/phone data, digital online searches etc is also usually considered circumstantial. Because you have to infer what happened from the summation of all the evidence.

Can we have this made up into a sign that hangs in the bar?

I can see the no weekend thing. This is such a high profile case that it seems (imo) to require a lot of extra people working at the courthouse. It's already been six weeks with lots of staff needed. Asking them to work through the weekend too may be too much.

Just a guess on my part.
On the flip side of that…if I was on the jury waiting all this time to get the case, I would want to deliberate as late as possible (including the weekend) to bring this trial to a conclusion and get back to my life - free to talk to or about anything I want or to google again lol. Jurors are losing time with their families and missing work or usual activities - even when they aren’t in court they have such restrictions on them…I’d just want to use every moment I could to move towards the goal of a verdict rather than quit by a certain time or skip the weekend or whatever.

But he didn't spare the family. What about Buster?

BM is AM. I think BM was not killed because AM was not getting pressure --financial or emotional-- from him. On the stand, BM said he only knew little bits about the addiction. He was sticking with AM's story. MM and PM weren't and were going to blow it for him sooner or later (boat trail, drug stuff) and they would be the cause of his humiliation. Better they died as saints than deconstructors of his power in the community. Til he tried to convince people someone tried to kill him

@10ofRods The majority of local people are embarrassed by the actions of the Murdaughs and the unwanted and negative attention focused on the State. The Murdaugh glory days are over period, regardless of the outcome of this trial.

Many influential people in LE, banking and other businesses have lost their jobs over this mess already and I'm sure there will be many more by the time the financial crimes of Alex are prosecuted.

The real 'monied' folks of the gentle South are horrified at the behavior of this ridiculous buffoon from Hampton County.

MOO
Agreed and believe however this ends AM's name and history along with kin will be avoided like nuclear testing grounds. Born and raised in a small town myself news travels fast and AM has burned so many bridges and people that his kin will feel the heat from the flames for years to come.

Last edited:
watching the Netflix doc. I was struck by that recording of Mags call to 911 regarding Gloria who was pretty obviously badly wounded and affected by this fall..coupling this and stolen money and the boat accident..I could see someone who is very hurt by all of this wanting to kill Mags and Paul who was raised up by Gloria..I think there is plenty of outside motive out there..and looking at all this in bulk, makes me wonder if Alex isn't the least likely person to have done this. I just don't
think all of Alex's bad acts prior add up to motive either.

tell me why he rushed to have cops on the scene..when he could have waited..why would he box himself in? why would he do it with a pocket full of pills? he would't even have to make up a story like he wasn't down there at all to cover up..

it's just not logical. mOO
AM was allowed to cash in his 401K & sell an island to pay for his defense. He got $600,000 .
Why did he not hire the BEST to find these phantom killers? JMO

can someone tell me why his name is Alex but people keep referring to him and pronouncing it as Alec - even the lawyers were doing it

It's official, there will be NO deliberations over the weekend. If no verdict by end of day tomorrow, they would return Monday.

Oh, of course, it's only Thursday evening now. Friday morning in Australia, I'm still stressy after rounding up some foster kittens and getting them to the vet for desexing, I got mixed up and thought it was Friday for the jury too. I know long trials normally mean long deliberations, and there was a lot of evidence presented, but I still have reasonable hope for a decision before the weekend.

I just came back on here and I don't understand how keeping the alternate juror is helpful for their deliberations. If she has to step in the others have said so much already that she has not heard and cannot weigh if that makes sense.

They will likely be instructed to start over and to put aside their prior discussion.

can someone tell me why his name is Alex but people keep referring to him and pronouncing it as Alec - even the lawyers were doing it

He keeps saying his name as Elik, to my ear. And before the trial, several reporters says he goes by Alec. However, a large number of news outlets still say Alex and so do some of the people in court. He can't even be straightforward about names. Everyone has a nickname.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member