SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think people can consciously make the choice to disassociate?

Edit to add: or rather do you mean compartmentalize?

Well, yes, I do think it can be a conscious choice.

Dissociation includes what we anthropologists study as "trance states" and can be invoked by some people at will. Margaret Mead discovered that in Bali, children's upbringing tends to encourage dissociative trance states, but that those who are very good at it are often trained early on to be a kind of shaman. Interestingly, for the Balinese, children who startle easily as infants are considered more likely to dissociate (and entering an involuntary startled state is indeed a kind of dissociation - turning one set of patterns off in the brain and going into another set).

I don't know what compartmentalization means, exactly, because that term isn't used in the research I read about dissociation. The term is used here on WS once in a while, and I can't tell if the people who use the term think it's voluntary or involuntary. I do know a little about how the term is used in counseling and by clinical psychologists (where some therapeutic techniques involving teaching people how to compartmentalize consciously - in order to create a boundary around traumatic memories). So, that kind of compartmentalization is thought by psychologists to be something a person can learn to do.

Note that the above article categorizes "compartmentalization" as a form of dissociation (a milder form?)

This older article:

talks about how it's natural for people to "compartmentalize" negative thoughts about themselves (Freud and Bleuler think so too - it's a fundamental principle of psychoanalysis and as you can see from the article, still a prominent idea in psychology). The person puts positive thoughts about themselves in one "basket" (neural network, we'd say today) and negative thoughts in another. In the above article, the authors think that people who can't access their "positive" self-image basket or filing cabinet are the ones prone to depression and anxiety (more research needed, they say - which has most centered on MRI and SPECT analysis, to actually show how the brain shifts frames).

Is it voluntary? Learned? Habitual? Can it be severe enough to cause memory problems (probably)?

Here's an article exploring compartmentalization (dissociation) in PTSD patients. PTSD patients were more likely to have negative thoughts in general and to create mental boundaries against them. I assume all of the patients were in treatment, as it is a clinical article.

At any rate, all humans use "compartmentalization" (setting some thoughts aside while working with other thoughts), but it can be part of mental illness when there's not enough redundancy among the various parts of the psyche (as, for example, not being able to remember what one did while in the negative state):

In that article, the authors explore how dissociation can hang out on the boundaries of psychosis, since, by definition, being completely out of touch with reality is an extreme example of disassociation/compartmentalization. If the negative/anxiety-producing subset of thoughts gets large enough, then all of reality has to be walled off to avoid those thoughts (says the above article). This last article is by far the most interesting, because it is exploring amnesia as part of this dissociation issue. It also explores derealization and depersonalization (both common elements in criminal acts, particularly murder).

IMO.

In the 911 call that was made public it had a couple things redacted from it, from what I gleaned in the full call being played at trial, in the redacted portions he said he was going to the house to get a gun, and that when he checked the bodies for signs of life, he could see their brains - so he knew undoubtedly they were both dead before even calling 911.

I too have thought he was only asking if they were 'officially dead' so he could be positive they couldn't tell LE who shot them, and he could proceed with the alibi he came up with.

I also think he started with something of a different plan than what happened, the timeline is a little too tight for a long-thought-out plan.
BBM

Listening to CW give the closing argument saying Alex shot Paul once and then was going to sit that gun down and Paul wasn't dead he was slowly walking to ward him and he shot him a second time at that odd angle because he was putting the shotgun down. I wonder if Alex intended to make it a murder suicide, but because his first shot didn't work he couldn't set that up because it's not believable that someone would shoot themselves twice with a shotgun to kill themselves.

Another thought was did he intend to just kill Paul and make it look like a suicide, but needing to shoot him a second time meant Maggie heard the first shot and was coming to see what was going on and she saw him shoot the second one so now he couldn't say Paul shot himself.

I think either of those scenarios would have likely also ended the civil case against him.

In the 911 call that was made public it had a couple things redacted from it, from what I gleaned in the full call being played at trial, in the redacted portions he said he was going to the house to get a gun, and that when he checked the bodies for signs of life, he could see their brains - so he knew undoubtedly they were both dead before even calling 911.

I too have thought he was only asking if they were 'officially dead' so he could be positive they couldn't tell LE who shot them, and he could proceed with the alibi he came up with.

I also think he started with something of a different plan than what happened, the timeline is a little too tight for a long-thought-out plan.
I think he didn't include Bubba catching a chicken and him having to deal with it in his timeline plan. Bubba was a wild card that caused his timing to be off but Bubba's timing was perfect for catching a murderer. Such a small thing made such a huge difference in the outcome. It didn't save mother and son but did avenge them. jmo

‘WANTED TO GET AWAY' ‘We met murdered Paul Murdaugh in Bahamas – he begged to come to the UK after fateful boat crash’, say Brit builders

Paul texted and requested the UK friends take down the video that his girlfriend wasn’t permitted to be around him anymore.

*Video of PM and his girlfriend in the Bahamas at the link.

We met Paul Murdaugh on holiday - he begged to come to the UK after boat crash

COURT TV DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE: MURDAUGH FIRST RESPONDERS ANSWER LINGERING QUESTIONS​

Where did the bloody footprint come from? Whose hair was in Maggie's hand? Court TV got the answers -- and some never-before-heard insights -- from Jason Chapman and Laura Rutland from the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office. (3/8/23) MORE

Was this before the boat crash in 2019?
This was after the boat crash.

“The pair claim he was holidaying with his former girlfriend Morgan Doughty shortly after the deadly boating accident that killed Mallory Beach in February 2019.

[..]

The bricklayers had jetted off on the ultimate break to the Bahamas when they crossed paths with Paul - the youngest son of disgraced legal scion Alex Murdaugh.

‘WANTED TO GET AWAY' ‘We met murdered Paul Murdaugh in Bahamas – he begged to come to the UK after fateful boat crash’, say Brit builders

Paul texted and requested the UK friends take down the video that his girlfriend wasn’t permitted to be around him anymore.

*Video of PM and his girlfriend in the Bahamas at the link.

that is extremely interesting....we will never really know what was going on with Paul and Alex. It is possible he new his son was looking to escape and do something drastic in light of the charges coming down. I tend to believe most of what the girlfriend disclosed in the Netflix series. Things simply were not going well with Paul and AM thought he would take care of the problem.

Was this before the boat crash in 2019?

Yes, while the messages are from 2019 and 2021, they met him and made that video in 2017. Their TikTok is @thenakedbuilders.

Also, it just looks like he was talking about visiting them someday, not that he was trying to escape to the UK. That article is sloppily written.

There's more to all the buying, selling, exchanging ownership of properties and newly formed LLC's. We need the rest of the story.

AM's property and "business dealings".........it's not a complete timeline or list. It's just a few things I picked out of my notes to share here.

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!

1998 - AM and B Boulware became business partners. Murdaugh Holdings and B Boulware purchased a stretch of remote waterfront property on the St Helena Island for $115k.

2000 - AM and MM built their Hampton residence

2002 - AM and MM purchased Edisto property for $415K

2003 - AM and B Boulware purchased additional property on St Helena Island

2004- AM and B Boulware purchased additional property on St Helena Island

2006 - AM represented Barrett in a civil case against South Attachie Closings

2010 -2021-Jenkins Creek Marine and Charters, LLC - AM and R Crosby are the owners of this LLC. There were 7 total property transactions under this LLC between 2010 and 2021, Jenkins Creek Charters and Property Management is an additional entity.

Unknown Date - R Crosby took out a mortgage for a little over $150K for a piece of property that B Boulware was selling to a company called, Jenkins Creek Marine and Charters, LLC

Unknown Date - A year and a half later Crosby took out another mortgage for a little over $150K being sold by Barrett to a company called, Jenkins Creek Charters and Property Management

Unknown Date - AM and R Crosby owned 2 docks that were off loading Jellyfish from a company called Millenary. The Jellyfish were being processed at a facility, Williams Farm. M Ball was the registered agent for Williams Farms and Mark also worked at PMPED Law Office.

There are also transactions between B Boulware and R Crosby in other counties.

2014 - The Jellyfish company dissolved after the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control halted operations due to health code violations

2014 - AM purchased the Moselle property from B Boulware’s wife, J Boulware for $5 for the property. On the deed it states the exchange in the like kind of replacement property in the amount of $735K. (This is common to avoid paying taxes on capital gains)

Aug 2016 - Buckner led Collerton County deputies on a high speed chase. Found crack cocaine, molly pills and $7500 in cash. Buckner was identified as a known gang member known for drug activity. AM worked on this case as a solicitor. It’s the only case AM has ever worked on as a solicitor. No verdict was met and the case ended in a mistrial.

2018 - AM accused of stealing $750K from B Boulware in insurance money when he was dying of colon cancer.

2018 - AM and MM moved to Moselle property

Sept 2021 - all 7 properties were transferred to R Crosby for $5 when Jenkins Creek Marine and Charters, LLC was dissolved and liquidated. There was wording in the sale of the properties that R Crosby wouldn’t sue AM. However, PMPED filed a lawsuit against AM that same month.

Feb 2022 - Moselle property listed for sale (under new name of Cross Swamp Farm, it was later changed back to Moselle Farm)

April 2022 - Satterfield Estate brought suit against AM over AM’s embezzlement of $4.3 million settlement that was supposed to go to the Satterfields.

April 2022 - Nautilus Insurance Company brought suit against AM for defrauding the company.

April 9 2022 - Buckner Roberts Construction LLC was created by Roberts. Emmanuel Buckner co-founded the company with Roberts.

April 2022 - Trail of checks written by AM to S Roberts.

June 2022 - SC Grand Jury indicted AM on two criminal conspiracy counts, including a narcotics count related to Oxycodone, for alleged narcotics related crimes in a multi county area.

Do you think people can consciously make the choice to disassociate?

Edit to add: or rather do you mean compartmentalize?
I don't think he Chose to disassociate. It's a Personality Disorder, which happens when life stressors become overwhelming.
'People with dissociative disorders escape reality in ways that are involuntary and unhealthy and cause problems with functioning in everyday life.' Dissociative disorders - Symptoms and causes

The DSM-5: The Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders is the Reference Guide Psychiatrists/Psychologists/ Counselors use to diagnose.​

There's more to all the buying, selling, exchanging ownership of properties and newly formed LLC's. We need the rest of the story.

AM's property and "business dealings".........it's not a complete timeline or list. It's just a few things I picked out of my notes to share here.

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!

1998 - AM and B Boulware became business partners. Murdaugh Holdings and B Boulware purchased a stretch of remote waterfront property on the St Helena Island for $115k.

2010 -2021-Jenkins Creek Marine and Charters, LLC - AM and R Crosby are the owners of this LLC. There were 7 total property transactions under this LLC between 2010 and 2021, Jenkins Creek Charters and Property Management is an additional entity.

Unknown Date - R Crosby took out a mortgage for a little over $150K for a piece of property that B Boulware was selling to a company called, Jenkins Creek Marine and Charters, LLC

Unknown Date - A year and a half later Crosby took out another mortgage for a little over $150K being sold by Barrett to a company called, Jenkins Creek Charters and Property Management

Unknown Date - AM and R Crosby owned 2 docks that were off loading Jellyfish from a company called Millenary. The Jellyfish were being processed at a facility, Williams Farm. M Ball was the registered agent for Williams Farms and Mark also worked at PMPED Law Office.

2014 - The Jellyfish company dissolved after the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control halted operations due to health code violations

2014 - AM purchased the Moselle property from B Boulware’s wife, J Boulware for $5 for the property. On the deed it states the exchange in the like kind of replacement property in the amount of $735K. (This is common to avoid paying taxes on capital gains)

Aug 2016 - Buckner led Collerton County deputies on a high speed chase. Found crack cocaine, molly pills and $7500 in cash. Buckner was identified as a known gang member known for drug activity. AM worked on this case as a solicitor. It’s the only case AM has ever worked on as a solicitor. No verdict was met and the case ended in a mistrial.

2018 - AM accused of stealing $750K from B Boulware in insurance money when he was dying of colon cancer.

Sept 2021 - all 7 properties were transferred to R Crosby for $5 when Jenkins Creek Marine and Charters, LLC was dissolved and liquidated. There was wording in the sale of the properties that R Crosby wouldn’t sue AM. However, PMPED filed a lawsuit against AM that same month.

Feb 2022 - Moselle property listed for sale (under new name of Cross Swamp Farm, it was later changed back to Moselle Farm)

April 2022 - Satterfield Estate brought suit against AM over AM’s embezzlement of $4.3 million settlement that was supposed to go to the Satterfields.

April 2022 - Nautilus Insurance Company brought suit against AM for defrauding the company.

April 9 2022 - Buckner Roberts Construction LLC was created by Roberts. Emmanuel Buckner co-founded the company with Roberts.

June 2022 - SC Grand Jury indicted AM on two criminal conspiracy counts, including a narcotics count related to Oxycodone, for alleged narcotics related crimes in a multi county area.
Excellent documentation.

^^rsbm

I agree. A big part of his take-down occurred when AM couldn't cobble up the $800K he hijacked from the firm after he took checks payable to his fake Forge account and/or himself from Chris Wilson.

And knocking on the door of Palmetto Bank during this time only exposed him further when he was trying to ward off the law firm's CFO.

$792K would be a drop in the bucket for someone hoarding millions in secret or foreign accounts. Nope -- an addict has no discipline and I think AM's family lived paycheck to paycheck as evidenced by MM's estate. According to probate filings for MM, their joint bank accounts, investments, etc. only totaled about $4K (50% was reported as part of her estate), and MM's personal accounts totaled only $56. MOO

The other thing that is important here is that he spent large amounts of cash on things like charting private planes so as not to fly commercial. They employed people to help in the house and on the property. While that is not millions it is a continual drain.

The real estate group feels like a money laundering scheme, which because some of the principles are no longer alive he can say he rescued it by footing the bill to make the properties solvent. I tend to doubt that there is another woman/person in his life. But, do think it is possible that he was paying large amounts of hush money to people. On the whole, I think lots of money went to an off-shore account.

I hope and pray that some forensic accountant will volunteer to find what happened to it all. I just can see it being a 60 pill a day habit....

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!

Does the funeral home "loan" belong on your list? Court records show Alex Murdaugh paid for Georgia funeral home; director says loan paid

Just another tactic he used since he was well aware that both had passed. PM's injuries were as plain as day especially the injuries to his head. MM's injuries were also apparent with several wounds to her head as well. AM had been scurrying around there tending to his alibi deed's. The convicted killer as we know made sure of it sad to say.
It was bizarre how AM told LE that he moved the bodies to check their pulse. He couldn't possibly have thought they were alive given the severity of head injuries. I thought he said that either as an excuse for having blood on him or because he moved PM and MM in order to see if they had his pills (and thought LE might be able to tell they were moved).

The defense was still claiming he had life insurance during the trial. Alex even testified to it. It was never challenged by the prosecution.

Alex was charged for insurance fraud at the time. It seems they are sticking with that charge and don't want to contradict it in any way so are accepting that he had insurance.

Nobody has ever presented proof of that insurance though. He didn't know what the life insurance company was when questioned about it at the time.
It makes me wonder if the law firm (although he is no longer an employee but we have no idea if they allowed him to keep certain "benefits") offered some kind of life insurance. Sometimes, the medical insurance has additional life insurance, and we know at the time he still had medical benefits because he asked Blanca for his ID card. $10million seems excessive, IMO, from what I have seen, but there is just no way to know... This also makes me go down the rabbit hole of wondering if Maggie was covered on the insurance, etc.... I doubt we will ever know the answer to this.

JMO.

BBM

Listening to CW give the closing argument saying Alex shot Paul once and then was going to sit that gun down and Paul wasn't dead he was slowly walking to ward him and he shot him a second time at that odd angle because he was putting the shotgun down. I wonder if Alex intended to make it a murder suicide, but because his first shot didn't work he couldn't set that up because it's not believable that someone would shoot themselves twice with a shotgun to kill themselves.

Another thought was did he intend to just kill Paul and make it look like a suicide, but needing to shoot him a second time meant Maggie heard the first shot and was coming to see what was going on and she saw him shoot the second one so now he couldn't say Paul shot himself.

I think either of those scenarios would have likely also ended the civil case against him.

If he intended it to look like suicide, how does his asking MM to be there that night figure in?

I have wondered if he hadn't originally planned for Paul to suffer a 'hunting accident' while they rode around looking for wild hogs or their feeding sites. It would answer why there were two long guns in close proximity to them.

That also would have likely ended the boat case and maybe in his deluded mind he thought MM might come back home, since he'd be so torn up over losing his son to such a terrible accident and need her so badly.

But, I also wonder about how pills may play a part, whether he was still having withdrawals, or Paul found his baggie and AM was in a rage, something always seems missing though, it's like we're missing the one piece of the puzzle that makes everything make sense.

""Erin" described Maggie as always smiling, and said Maggie had confided in her that she was seeking a divorce."
It was bizarre how AM told LE that he moved the bodies to check their pulse. He couldn't possibly have thought they were alive given the severity of head injuries. I thought he said that either as an excuse for having blood on him or because he moved PM and MM in order to see if they had his pills (and thought LE might be able to tell they were moved).
Agreed thinking just an excuse since AM may have thought that his DNA may turn up on PM and MM along with traces of blood on him and several other things. I'm sure he wanted to get a looksee at those phone if he could but his fumbling and bumbling around down there after the shootings was cutting into alibi plan to be calling so and so and being at one place when he needed to be at another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500