SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^rsbm

In this latest 3/17/23 link to 48 hours with MM's college friends -- one gives an account of her conversation with MM's sister wondering where the marital discord rumors were coming from because each believed MM confided in them.

When someone dies, especially so tragically, all of a sudden they become a Saint, who never did any wrong. People want to remember the good, and forget/deny the not so good. No one is perfect, but Alex Murdaugh is definitely evil. So much damage done by him, but much he did not accomplish alone, and that should be reckoned with IMPOV.

It's also not uncommon for multiple social media accounts to surface during/after high-profile cases that are by impersonators. TOS only allows linking true SM accounts that are not locked private by the owner.
Her one page is an old one(not fake), filled with pictures of happy times, and people continue to post on it, which is weird and sad.

Thank you for the thoughts…. and I was not sure until I just started to watch the Court TV interview of detective Rutland, her superior, and Chanley Painter from CourtTV. (It is in another portion of this thread. Post #443 on page 23 or so….). About 3:58 in that video, at the point where his attending friend in the rear left seat places his hand on his shoulder.

The answer seems to be yes; while sitting in the car during that first evening interview (if I remember correctly), in the defendant’s clean white t-shirt upper left breast pocket there appears to be a pair of readers or ‘cheater’ glasses in that pocket.

In all that scurrying around and what not, amazing those remained at his ready. Maybe he was looking for those with that flashlight?

And making one other thought on this point….. perhaps that flashlight he also had in his hands, could have been used to illuminate a script if one was made and used in preparation for that evening?

MOO.
I know I'm so far behind but wonder if the glasses were for MM, could the flashlight be something she was holding also?

If a friend or her sister had been told by Maggie she’d visited one, that isn’t proof. So would the supposed attorney who is unknown to all come forward on their own to help the case? Possibly not if they were linked to the family “dynasty” in some way. Sad, as it also could have just been more evidence. Not that it was necessary for the conviction, but …

I’d really like more facts about the Edisto purchase. Perhaps after their 20 years in the home they raised the boys in, Maggie felt Moselle was too rural, too geared toward hunting, too far from town, etc.
^^rsbbm

Confirming whether or not MM ever had an appointment with a divorce law firm would no doubt have been vigorously protested by AM's defense but it is NOT protected client-attorney information.

We saw this very recently during the preliminary hearing for Larry Millette, CA, accused of murdering his still-missing wife, Maya.

Maya vanished two days after consulting a divorce lawyer and receiving a client organizer to complete before her appointment.

Her family testified she asked to borrow money for the retainer (Larry controlled the finances). I don't recall if the divorce witness testified under a subpoena or not but the attorney was also identified during the search warrant of Maya's email.

We know that the nail tech was on the witness list but never called. IMO, the unnamed police source cited by PEOPLE was likely referring to divorce hearsay from this witness.

Also, I recall a sound bite by DH that the defense made inquiries with divorce law firms in two counties and was certain this was a malicious rumor by the prosecution. I think DH used the term "wedded bliss" to describe AM/MM after spending two years with them (i.e., strategizing PM's case).

I've previously confirmed the details that AM/MM purchased the Edisto Beach property within 3 years of building the prior family residence in Hampton-- so it was nowhere a new acquisition.

Reportedly, the Hampton residence was sold in 2020, and not replacing it was probably harder on MM than the others.

Listening to friends describe MM as her life revolving around her sons, on top of dealing both with AM's addiction, the boat crash, and displacement from her longtime home, I think it likely MM was also struggling emotionally with empty nest syndrome.

We know by MP's testimony that MM was ready to make an offer on a residence at Hilton Head (took MP and her parents to view the home) but AM stopped the wheels here citing the time was not right. I'm sure he sold MM the tale of the pending Beach lawsuit when this was only part of the Murdaugh house of financial cards about to crash. Instead, AM pacified MM with the Edisto beach house remodel.

Whether or not MM formally sought divorce counsel doesn't discount that at the time of her death, MM appeared to be distancing herself from AM. However, I find there are too many explanations for this to say 100% that divorce proceedings were underway.

I agree -- there was a lot going on with MM that died with her. MOO

Bumping MOD NOTE with links to discuss related cases:

MOD NOTE

As a reminder, this thread is dedicated to Alex Murdaugh being found guilty by a jury of his peers of murdering his son Paul and wife Maggie.

This is not the place to discuss eggs, chickens, alcohol purchases, BM, GS, MB or SS (to name a few). Pages of discussion on these off-topic cases take away from those posts containing important updates on this particular case.

Here are some threads that may be of interest to you if you want to discuss other crimes surrounding this one.

We truly appreciate your understanding and continuing efforts to keep Websleuths amazing!!

Mad

^^rsbbm

Confirming whether or not MM ever had an appointment with a divorce law firm would no doubt have been vigorously protested by AM's defense but it is NOT protected client-attorney information.

We saw this very recently during the preliminary hearing for Larry Millette, CA, accused of murdering his still-missing wife, Maya.

Maya vanished two days after consulting a divorce lawyer and receiving a client organizer to complete before her appointment.

Her family testified she asked to borrow money for the retainer (Larry controlled the finances). I don't recall if the divorce witness testified under a subpoena or not but the attorney was also identified during the search warrant of Maya's email.

We know that the nail tech was on the witness list but never called. IMO, the unnamed police source cited by PEOPLE was likely referring to divorce hearsay from this witness.

Also, I recall a sound bite by DH that the defense made inquiries with divorce law firms in two counties and was certain this was a malicious rumor by the prosecution. I think DH used the term "wedded bliss" to describe AM/MM after spending two years with them (i.e., strategizing PM's case).

I've previously confirmed the details that AM/MM purchased the Edisto Beach property within 3 years of building the prior family residence in Hampton-- so it was nowhere a new acquisition.

Reportedly, the Hampton residence was sold in 2020, and not replacing it was probably harder on MM than the others.

Listening to friends describe MM as her life revolving around her sons, on top of dealing both with AM's addiction, the boat crash, and displacement from her longtime home, I think it likely MM was also struggling emotionally with empty nest syndrome.

We know by MP's testimony that MM was ready to make an offer on a residence at Hilton Head (took MP and her parents to view the home) but AM stopped the wheels here citing the time was not right. I'm sure he sold MM the tale of the pending Beach lawsuit when this was only part of the Murdaugh house of financial cards about to crash. Instead, AM pacified MM with the Edisto beach house remodel.

Whether or not MM formally sought divorce counsel doesn't discount that at the time of her death, MM appeared to be distancing herself from AM. However, I find there are too many explanations for this to say 100% that divorce proceedings were underway.

I agree -- there was a lot going on with MM that died with her. MOO

‘Wedded Bliss’ isn’t what comes to mind. It’s classic DH and he is good for quoting the extreme opposite of what it isn’t.

Creighton Waters and staff want a 3rd life sentence for Alex Murdaugh under South Carolina's "3 strikes" law, knowing 3 convictions on the worst of his 99 financial fraud charges will keep him in prison forever—even if his murder conviction is overturned.

State wants another life sentence for Murdaugh on financial crimes under '3 strikes' law

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCIV) — In an exclusive interview on March 17, state prosecutors who secured a conviction against Alex Murdaugh for the murders of his wife and son say they’re now going after Murdaugh for his 99 pending financial crime charges as an insurance policy to make sure he never gets out of prison.

State Attorney General Alan Wilson and Deputy Attorney General Creighton Waters said on March 17 they don’t intend to stop chasing convictions against Murdaugh until they see justice served for each of the victims of his various financial fraud and theft schemes.

That will mean trials against Alex Murdaugh for all 99 charges in each of the five counties where his admitted financial crimes took place.

Another news item from our team's in-depth interview today is Waters, Alan Wilson, Savanna Goude, John Meadors, and David Fernandez: The state intends to pursue trials on each and every one of Alex Murdaugh’s financial fraud indictments. They span 5 counties & numerous victims.

When someone dies, especially so tragically, all of a sudden they become a Saint, who never did any wrong. People want to remember the good, and forget/deny the not so good. No one is perfect, but Alex Murdaugh is definitely evil. So much damage done by him, but much he did not accomplish alone, and that should be reckoned with IMPOV.

I think too it’s because someone isnt here to answer for things but I get the point both ways.

.@lawyergriffin upon finding out that a call between him and #AlexMurdaugh during the trial, which is a privileged communication, was apparently released.
I wonder who the call was released to? I find it odd this could have happened already when the trial was concluded only recently, and knowing the last batch of calls released via FOIA were certainly not even close to recent communications by AM. It's not an expeditious process. JMO

LE knew that AM was lying the night of the murders. Observant officers noted that it would be impossible to not get blood on his white soled, beige canvas, shoes if he really went to check on PM as there was blood and brain matter spread over the puddled cement.

The first time I heard this was in a post trial interview.

This was the aha moment.

Yes. And my suspicion, for which I have zero evidence or information to correlate, but it seemed to appear from my observation of things that the now slain wife may have wanted her husband and son to settle that suit for the boat crash. (And that might have been with her also having some suspicions of the actual financial condition, but not an understanding of what it was or a ‘house of cards’). And maybe the slain son also wanted the boat crash matter to be ‘resolved’. If so, that might have put them at odds with the soon to become defendant. MOO.

And as others have previously noted, those two now slain individuals were as I recall the only other individuals at the estate years prior, when the housekeeper had the incident. I believe the husband was later to arrive at the scene.
But, Maggie's sister testified that Maggie was adamant that Paul was not the guilty driver in the boat crash. In fact, Maggie was prepared to be ostracized by her community rather than admit that her drunk son was a reckless murderer.

If Maggie believed that Paul was not the driver, then she was not looking for him to settle the boat crash lawsuits. She was dug in. Her family was not responsible.

As it turns out, the husband, Alex, was first to arrive at the housekeeper's "slip and fall" and EMS arrived later ... even though Alex was phoned 30 minutes after EMS was called.

It's quite something to try to understand Alex and the influence he had over his wife.

But, Maggie's sister testified that Maggie was adamant that Paul was not the guilty driver in the boat crash. In fact, Maggie was prepared to be ostracized by her community rather than admit that her drunk son was a reckless murderer.

If Maggie believed that Paul was not the driver, then she was not looking for him to settle the boat crash lawsuits. She was dug in. Her family was not responsible.

As it turns out, the husband, Alex, was first to arrive at the housekeeper's "slip and fall" and EMS arrived later ... even though Alex was phoned 30 minutes after EMS was called.

It's quite something to try to understand Alex and the influence he had over his wife.
Per her friends "Maggie was a dutiful wife" and I think most of us know women like this. I think no matter what she knew in her heart on the surface Paul was not driving. She had major financial and legal reasons to keep up that stance. Mark Tinsley did a great in depth interview and for the impending trial he had facebook photos (many going back many years) with Maggie liking photos of her underage son drinking since a young age. As parents they encouraged this behavior in both of their sons. It seemed to be considered a right of the rich. Maggie seemed fine with AM setting up Connor. Maggie is not unique but that "dutiful" nature comports with so much of her behavior. That said I think she was changing and questioning at the end. And we know what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer