SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for 17 months Lay & McCoy worked looking for AM’s accounts serving 70 subpoenas to law firms, banks, attorneys to find them, and JMM thinks that is too much money.
And when AM tried filing a disclaimer of interest trying to shield moselle from creditors by passing it to BM.

Jmo

Maybe I have this wrong but I assume family had time to go in and pick out things they wanted. Guess the monogramed pillows did not catch anyone's eye? This sale again I assume is with full knowledge and approval of the family....not like it was all confiscated and sold without their knowing. Hope Buster got his personalized pot from Almeda. Seems like JMM is probably in charge of this and the sale was ready to go pending results of the trial. I mean what are they going to do with all of that stuff. It will sell quickly I bet.
Overpriced second hand stuff. May sell to curious Murder trial collectors. Eww. There was a picture soon after the verdict, of many huge trucks parked outside the house, perhaps going to an Auctioneer, or otherwise. I doubt anyone would be allowed inside the house to nose around while looking at their life's possessions. MOO

Wealthy for South Carolina. Probably spent money on what Paul wanted, guns, club memberships, trips, drugs. Household stuff, limited.
I wonder what MM thought when she left her Hampton house...of course we don't know about the furnishing there...to move to the "hunting lodge." Also, these furnishings might be from the previous owner, they may have received this house furnished. I agree, I'm not impressed with any of it.

Mozelle was under control of two Judge appointed attorneys. It was liquidated to satisfy claims from the Beach family.

The moving trucks, moo, were from the action company. The auction is in Georgia. I doubt the family was allowed back into the house once under conservatorship.

Had a court ordered estate sale for a great Aunt. We had to show up and bid on anything we wanted. Sadly, all her antiques and family heirlooms were sold to a private dealer, prior to the auction. I cried the entire day, its very emotional for family and friends. Then we had to track down the antique dealer and buy family heirlooms. The entire process was gut-wrenching.

MOO....
Thank you for the clarity, and so sorry for your own tragic experience.

From your link:

Specifically, the undersigned paid $518,722.50 in out-of-pocket defense costs and trial counsel received attorneys' fees in the amount of $81,277.50.

What am I missing here? I can't believe he only paid D & J $81K and IHNI what out-of-pocket defense costs are. No way he paid that much for experts and investigators.
There was probably a side deal to attys for a reduced amount that helped THEM reduce their income for tax purposes. To men like this everything is looked at as a deal, either paying out or income. Their brain just goes there!!

Broad River is no cake walk, nor is AM entitled to one.

I agree. I visited part of it, Kirkland, and what was CCI back in the 80s on the “bad teen” program. Kirkland and BR looked like ok places (for jail) as they were newer at the time but that old CCI put fears in me that took decades to shake.

Not to nit-pick this you are right. But this is to me is first-last-maiden unless Branstetter is her middle name.
I didn't realize this was questionable. In my circle, women taking their husband's surnames after marriage will always use their maiden name as their middle name if not a hyphenated name. And those married without children never changed their names. Perhaps it's different in the US.

From your link:

Specifically, the undersigned paid $518,722.50 in out-of-pocket defense costs and trial counsel received attorneys' fees in the amount of $81,277.50.

What am I missing here? I can't believe he only paid D & J $81K and IHNI what out-of-pocket defense costs are. No way he paid that much for experts and investigators.
@Gardenista He or the defense paid $20K PER WEEK to stay in the private hotel/wedding venue IIRC. Sickening.

From your link:

The $81K represents fees paid only to the trial attorneys per a reduced fee agreement. I'm sure the out-of-pocket defense costs included all the support personnel not part of the trial attorney bargain.

In the end, when no longer under the critical eye of the public, the trial attorneys will be made whole. Most likely being paid the full fee for the appeal. MOO

Professional Conduct Rule 1.5 governs fees (statewide).

@Gardenista He or the defense paid $20K PER WEEK to stay in the private hotel/wedding venue IIRC. Sickening.

Look, I don't want to simp for the defense but I've seen this come up a few times and there seems to be an implication that they chose this wedding venue because the defense attorneys were living the high-life and whooping it up in the off-hours, and I doubt that's true.

I assume they had a large team on-site--more than just the people we saw in court. Considering how many media folks were in town for the trial, it would have been difficult to find a local hotel that could house the entire team. Plus, I'm sure room rates were at a premium during that time so it was likely more cost-effective to use the venue, especially since they wouldn't need to separately rent conference space. I'm not sure in this case, but sometimes these sorts of arrangements also include meals, which can otherwise be another $50+/per day/per person. They also wouldn't have to pack up everything over the weekend and vacate their rooms.

In another life time I occasionally had to deal with large teams at off-site locations and you'd be shocked at how expensive hotel arrangements can get. The people responsible for booking client engagements often sought out-of-the-box solutions like this one to contain costs.

Edit: Okay, I checked out this article about the defense accommodations:
  • The $20K rate includes a chef to cook meals.
  • The state wanted to stay there too, but they called after the defense team did.
  • The state ended up at the Hamptons Inn paying $300/night for 16 people. If everyone got their own room, that's $24K/week in hotel costs alone, not including meals and office space.
  • The defense team had to vacate the venue at the end of February, so they had to find new digs since the trial went on so long.

Last edited:
From your link:

I found the complete document and an article about it:

[…]

More than 200 items will be up for auction. The auction will be in-person only.

“We just don’t know what to expect, for real. There quite possibly will be a tremendous amount of people who show up, but we just don’t know,” Liberty Auction owner Lori Mattingly told WYFF-TV. “This has been very overwhelming. We are just going to take it one step at a time, like we always do, and hope for the best.”

Mattingly said the items that belonged to the Murdaugh family only make up a small part of the auction.

“The Murdaugh estate items account for only about 30% of the total number of things we will be auctioning off,” Mattingly said. “Our auctions are fast-paced, and we will not be able to take the time to identify each item other than with the lot number.”

[…]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members