SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a light sentence to be served at club Fed for Fleming. IMO
Don't forget CF was already convicted of around 18 charges in SC Court where his "victim of AM" defense did not work! He's been out on bond during appeal of that case. I've not read the specifics on his federal plea deal but if his state and federal sentences don't run concurrent, CF could be in line for much more time.

We know that he was no victim of AM -- Waters told the Court (at CF's 2022 SC bond hearing) that CF did NOT cooperate with the state investigating AM so more evidence that he was no victim of AM.

I'm so tired of these wealthy men abusing their power! I don't think CF has ever spent more than 2 hours in jail. :mad:

ETA: from the earlier state case against CF...

Waters said Fleming participated in the scheme because he was in debt at the time, and needed money to quickly pay off bills.

Court documents show Fleming received kickbacks from Murdaugh in excess of six figures. Fleming reportedly used that money to pay for his mortgage, pay a large credit card debt, pay the IRS, and to purchase music from iTunes and video games.

Last edited:
[…]

Many of the charges carry up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $1 million each.

His attorney, Jim Griffin, told Judge Molly Cherry that his client was pleading not guilty – but he noted that Murdaugh may change his plea at a later date.

News 2 spoke with Murdaugh’s defense attorney Dick Harpootlian after he left the courthouse.

“We believe that comments should be constrained to in the courtroom – that’s the rules. That’s the rules we operate by. Some folks choose not to follow those rules. We do. So, the response will always be …. No comment.”

[…]

Many of the charges carry up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $1 million each.

His attorney, Jim Griffin, told Judge Molly Cherry that his client was pleading not guilty – but he noted that Murdaugh may change his plea at a later date.

News 2 spoke with Murdaugh’s defense attorney Dick Harpootlian after he left the courthouse.

“We believe that comments should be constrained to in the courtroom – that’s the rules. That’s the rules we operate by. Some folks choose not to follow those rules. We do. So, the response will always be …. No comment.”

Only Harpootlian can turn the two words of "no comment" into a paragraph.

Whatever it is, I think we can be sure it's ALL SPIN.

jmo

I wonder how far the Federal Courthouse (located in Charleston) is from "McCormick" which I assume is the state prison.

Naturally, privileged AM would like nothing more than to be in jail in nearby Charleston (for summer season and visitors) and I wonder how long before his defense pushes for this.

The current Order above seems to direct AM be transferred from time to time until the case is concluded in its entirety.

I'm recalling the federal kidnapping case (separate from the state murder charges) of Kamille 'Cupcake' McKinney (AL) where a defendant was in county jail about 100 miles away from the federal courthouse and where the defense, citing how it takes three hours round trip-- driving the speed limit-- to visit their client to prepare for trial, motioned for the defendant to be transferred to Birmingham.

The prosecution disagreed with this motion by the defense -- citing there was no legal or statutory reason to make the defendant's incarceration location more convenient for the defense, and the Court agreed. I was pleased with this decision by the Federal Judge but it did surprise me.

Last edited:
I wonder how far the Federal Courthouse (located in Charleston) is from "McCormick" which I assume is the state prison.

Naturally, privileged AM would like nothing more than to be in jail in nearby Charleston (for summer season and visitors) and I wonder how long before his defense pushes for this.

The current Order above seems to direct AM be transferred from time to time until the case is concluded in its entirety.

I'm recalling the federal kidnapping case (separate from the state murder charges) of Kamille 'Cupcake' McKinney (AL) where a defendant was in county jail about 100 miles away from the federal courthouse and where the defense, citing how it takes three hours round trip-- driving the speed limit-- to visit their client to prepare for trial, motioned for the defendant to be transferred to Birmingham.

The prosecution disagreed with this motion by the defense -- citing there was no legal or statutory reason to make the defendant's incarceration location more convenient for the defense, and the Court agreed. I was pleased with this decision by the Federal Judge but it did surprise me.

It's pretty far away. From Charleston to Columbia 2-3 hours depending on traffic. He'd probably be housed at Al Cannon Detention Ctr in Charleston if he has the choice to switch. I haven't ever heard anything good about that place. Prisons in SC are rough to say the least.

It's pretty far away. From Charleston to Columbia 2-3 hours depending on traffic. He'd probably be housed at Al Cannon Detention Ctr in Charleston if he has the choice to switch. I haven't ever heard anything good about that place. Prisons in SC are rough to say the least.

Thank you @jakat. If AM is going to plead guilty, as reported (I think by JG), there's probably not much meeting time necessary here that can't be done virtually or by phone. But If AM wants to see his attorneys, and he's been denied use of his 401K funds to compensate them, I don't see his team traveling 3+ hours to visit! AM's probably gotten that message already. JMO

Thank you @jakat. If AM is going to plead guilty, as reported (I think by JG), there's probably not much meeting time necessary here that can't be done virtually or by phone. But If AM wants to see his attorneys, and he's been denied use of his 401K funds to compensate them, I don't see his team traveling 3+ hours to visit! AM's probably gotten that message already. JMO
I can't see him being jailed temporarily in N. Charleston. It's not a good place, numerous fights, escapes, etc. There were 3 murderers who escaped about 5 years ago. My husband who was very tall and large at that time, was scared. SC has its problems, but still a nice place to live in certain places. If his attorneys need to see him for some reason, then he should be jailed where he was. Columbia would be near to the prison he was in, and his attorneys live close to there, well, at least one does, I believe. Much safer for AM, too, not that I care about him. Just plead guilty and get it over with.

I suspect AM is bargaining with the feds for a deal where he spends as much of his jail term in federal prison instead of state prison. Even in higher security federal prisons, conditions are much better than the equivalent state prisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419