SC SC - Sherry Jones, 24, Greer, 1 Sept 1972

Bump! Just came across this case for the first time today.. just caught up on comments. This is so tough for her daughter to have so little details to go on. Prayers it can be resolved.

I can find George Wilton Jones, his parents, and family tree online but no spouse is attached which is super frustrating.

You said she's Puerto Rican decent? She had connections to Tennessee, The Jane Doe in the link is believed to be hispanic and was found in Tennessee. It's a long-shot but I'd give it a try !

37UFTN

This seems interesting. Was it ever pursued? Even the name Sherry is mentioned with the UID. The only thing that seems really off is the age of the UID, but ???

Anna found & posted this info to the
Jane Does and Missing 1970s-1980s post.

Found her likely marriage in 1963 (don't find a divorce). Rather young age matches.
Name: Sherry A Smith
Birth Year: abt 1948
Marriage Date: 13 Apr 1963
Marriage Place: Los Angeles, California, USA
Spouse Name: Charles L Shirley
Spouse Age: 17

Surely she had friends that noticed her missing? This is so sad. & so hard to go on so little. I can find the Jones family but no recorded marriages to a Sherry listed under George. Buttons, do you have your birth certificate? Have you been able to locate any newspaper archives with your own birth announcement that may have any extra tidbits of info to help?

Just some thoughts......
  • Sherry was born on 29-Apr-1948. She would have been 24, when missing in July 16, 1972 (per her daughter).
  • If her remains are ever found, the fact that she has given birth could be an (additional) identifier.
  • According to the daughter, Sherry was the daughter of a Puerto Rican man, (or a man living on Puerto Rico?) and an American (Caucasian?) woman and was born in Puerto Rico. That doesn't mean a Caucasian/Hispanic mix persé. Thoughts?
  • Sherry was thought to be adopted by a Californian couple, with surname Smith, whom, according what the daughter heard, were killed in a car crash when Sherry was around 15/17 years old, so between 1963 - 1965. She supposedly was in an orphanage, before she married at a very young age. If she was adopted by families mentioned above, with extended families, why didn't the other family members took care of her after her parents died? Only reason I can think of..the people mentioned are not her adoptive parents....who knows if the story of her parents being killed in an accident is the truth anyway.
  • A divorce in California in 1967 follows.
  • A trace to Tennessee in the late sixties where her social security card was issued.
  • The daughter was born in September 1970. This means Sherry conceived around December 1969/January 1970.
  • Married to George Wilton Jones on May 8th 1970, being already pregnant. When did she meet him? A pregnancy would already have shown in May I think. I remember the daughter said she was petite, so maybe it didn't show that much, looking like she was not already 4/5 month pregnant. I can't imagine they were rushing into a marriage, only if he thought the child was his and that means they were together much more months before the marriage, not ruling out the child could be his at first. Then rejecting his daughter, not being his, even when she grew up, not being cooperative, telling about her mom, seems he felt "trapped" somehow....or he felt guilty and had things to hide. Somehow the whole pregnancy thing is not adding up. Sorry @buttons06 of course you are the wonderful outcome. No harm meant.
  • After May 8th 197o Sherry was living in Greer South Carolina (Greenville SC area which is Greenville county) with her husband and daughter. So after the ordeal of being pregnant, concluding the child was not his, a wanted abortion....they still they lived together until 1972.....makes you wonder about the dynamics.
  • She then disappeared in July of 1972. Have to come back for reflections on that.....

Sherry's daughter recently went on a podcast and said she believes her mother might be Davidson County Jane Doe 1976. According to her, certain scars and other similar features plus the history of alcoholism is convincing enough. Sherry Jones also had a unique canine tooth like Jane Doe.
Interesting. It would be against all odds. 24 years vs 14 -17 years. Sherry was petite, but would a coroner miss the fact she was a grown woman, who gave birth? Where is the alcohol story coming from? I mean how does it fit in? In the Namus file there is nothing said about that. It would also mean Sherry left somewhere in 1972 and did what in the mean time?, until she was found in 1976. My thoughts are with her daughter and my hope is that someday there will be some kind of a resolution.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back