SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

“I have tried my best to ignore the vicious rumors about my involvement in Stephen Smith’s tragic death that continue to be published in the media as I grieve over the brutal murders of my mother and brother," Murdaugh said. "I love them so much and miss them terribly."

"This has gone on far too long. These baseless rumors of my involvement with Stephen and his death are false," he said. "I unequivocally deny any involvement in his death, and my heart goes out to the Smith family."

Last edited:
My question is where (who?)did the “information” come from? Like the “information” from AM about the boat accident as the reason for the murders.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division said they began probing the case “based upon information gathered during the course of the double murder investigation,” but have not elaborated further.

@NickAtNews

Eric Bland, a lawyer who is now representing Stephen Smith's mom, says just now: "As we sit here today, Buster is a victim. He lost a mother, brother, now his father’s in jail ... We have no knowledge at all of Buster or the Murdaughs having anything to do with this right now."

Thanks, I've read part 2 and 3, looking for part 4.

MOO, so far....seems like so many suspects were overlooked, not interviewed, or not questioned/investigated as to time SS was killed. Seems, the focus is tracing the BM rumor. I get the impression Proctor is determine to pin this on BM, not following up on others.

Hoping to find Part 4, continuation from Dec 21, 2015. Also would like more formation on the Patrick Wilson case, as potential relationship to SS. I feel FITS brought this forward for a reason.

FITS has presented fact, objectivity and complete timeline of the investigation. I get the feeling, they are more open to finding the real killer. Makes me question SLEDs objectivity, follow up with a few individuals named.

Moo....
Rumors are just rumors, it's true but for some perspective I would be curious to know how many inadequately explained deaths between 2015-2020 in Hampton County didn't involve the Murdaughs

“I have tried my best to ignore the vicious rumors about my involvement in Stephen Smith’s tragic death that continue to be published in the media as I grieve over the brutal murders of my mother and brother," Murdaugh said. "I love them so much and miss them terribly."

"This has gone on far too long. These baseless rumors of my involvement with Stephen and his death are false," he said. "I unequivocally deny any involvement in his death, and my heart goes out to the Smith family."

<modsnip - implications against a person not named POI by LE, based on social media rumors>

Last edited by a moderator:
The facebook press conference is very enlightening and the questions they answered were informative.

What I learned....All para phased.

A judge will need to approve exhuming the body. They plan file within the next 10 days.

They will interview and hire experts for the case. Very expensive.

They will need to file civil suit, to look at the cause of death. This will give them discovery and subpoena rights.

Its not their job to find out who did this, but to determine how he died.

Ritcher BM is a victim, lost a mother , brother, as far as we know BM has nothing to do with this. or the Murdaughs have anything to do with this. No reason to discuss BM. [24 min mark]

They are requesting anyone with information to come forward.

A state grand jury was convened and was released. Mandy did not want to discuss the outcome and redirected to focusing on helping Sandy her answers to his death. Richter, stated if they had a charge then he feels we would have heard. [28 min mark]

A short video and well worth a listen.

Moo...

<modsnip>

Making a very loud media statement saying something is nothing but "social media rumors" does not make it true and it damn sure won't make it go away. We're going to figure out what happened here. Understand that asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN REMINDER:

There are no officially named POIs or suspects in this case and there are many possibilities as to what happened to Stephen.

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, or others who have not been officially designated by law enforcement or in mainstream media as a Person of Interest or suspect is not allowed (i.e. Sleuthing out this type of information, and publicly posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public is not allowed and such posts will be removed, along with any posts that encourage such sleuthing).

This does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.
Members may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them.

I took a moment and looked up the SC slander law, which is very inclusive, after seeing the above statement.

SECTION 16-7-150. Slander and libel.

Any person who shall with malicious intent originate, utter, circulate or publish any false statement or matter concerning another the effect of which shall tend to injure such person in his character or reputation shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction therefor, be subject to punishment by fine not to exceed five thousand dollars or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year, or by both fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the court; provided, that nothing herein shall be construed to abridge any right any person may have by way of an action for damages for libel or slander under the existing law.

I, also looked up federal law, which is very complex, internet sites, media print and visual. Most are protected by posting a disclaimer, however, it does not relieve the individual who speaks or prints statements as fact.

Hope this will stop "the rumor mill", let LE and the investigators in SS death an opportunity to present fact.

All my opinion

"SLED, Sheriff's, Hampton County Coroners' office, if they had done their job that day, I don’t think we would be here today," says Former SCHP Lt. Tommy Moore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back