SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

That's a lot of hoops to jump through.

Buster is the ultimate victim, he has to carry the burden of his father's sins, alone, his whole life.

No matter his once wealthy life, would anyone trade places with him now?
Actually I don't think of Buster as a victim. There are plenty of real victims around this family.

3/31/23

Rumors have swirled that the Murdaughs were somehow involved in the 19-year-old's July 2015 slaying, and the name of the once-powerful legal dynasty is referenced dozens of times in the original highway patrol report.

But the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) has identified Patrick Wilson and Shawn Connelly as persons of interest — neither of whom are Murdaughs, according to the local news site.

SLED didn't immediately return a request for comment. Wilson and Connelly could not immediately be reached.

"Both Wilson and Connelly lived in the area near where Stephen Smith's body was found, and there is information obtained by SLED investigators which has reportedly drawn a sharper focus on them as potential suspects," FitsNews founder Will Folks wrote.

About five months after Smith's death, Wilson's stepfather, Darrell Williams, allegedly called investigators with a tip. His stepson, he said, told him that Connelly was driving a vehicle when it "struck and killed Stephen Smith." Wilson and Connelly were teenagers at the time.
Williams calls in a tip after a visit with Randal Murdaugh. Isn't it amazing that a Murdaugh can just pop up at any given moment?

Mandy Matney passing along a message from Stephen Smith's mom's lawyer:

As for Fox--they are citing a quote from Will Folks from FITSnews. However, if you follow the link that Fox gives for the quote, it links to a FITSnews article THAT IS SUMMARIZING INITIAL INTERVIEW INFORMATION FROM THE CASE FILES.

SLED IS NOT NAMING THOSE TWO BOYS/MEN AS CURRENT SUSPECTS.

Here is the Fitsnews article that Fox is using to create a highly misleading headline and false story.

This kind of journalism from Fox just makes me so angry.

3/31/23

The FitsNews report goes on to say that at the time of Darrell Williams' phone call to police, Wilson was facing attempted murder charges that were later dropped by a judge who was described as 'serving at the pleasure of the Murdaughs.'

In addition, within 12 months of Smith's death, Connelly's two motor vehicle accident lawsuits, both of which were dropped by 'Murdaugh-friendly judges,' according to the website.

Online records show that Connelly has a lengthy criminal record in South Carolina.

His charges range from multiple traffic infractions, including DUIs, domestic violence, hunting without a license, unlawfully killing an antlerless deer and purchasing alcohol as a minor.

Cops are investigating persons of interest in murder of Stephen Smith

ETA: What an incredible coincidence that the pathologist determined that Stephen was likely hit by the mirror of a passing vehicle and this is the same alleged confession by Connelly. MOO
BBM: This looks so blazingly like a "tit for tat" situation to me. Takes the spotlight off of Buster and in return cases are dismissed. JMO

Actually I don't think of Buster as a victim. There are plenty of real victims around this family.
What would you call someone who lost his mother and baby brother to murders committed by his father, lost his heritage and lifestyle due to his father's acts, who still loves his father while grieving his family and has his name being smeared in national media when he is innocent of any wrongdoing? Victim.

Others lost money, he lost his entire family.

I disagree, respectfully. There are plenty of children of criminals who may have "benefitted from their parent's crimes" tangentially but remain victims of the person. AM has been described as smooth-talking and cunning. I can't imagine the mind games that AM's children experienced with this man. Any child of a criminal who then commits crimes has to be held to account but I do think they have been victimized. These children do not ask for their parent to commit the crimes nor, as young children, can they see the end result of the myriad of wrongs their parents commit. BM has a complicated system to navigate with his family--paternal and maternal. It is one that I would not one I would want to have to do as an over 40 year old person let alone in my young twenties which is what he was at the start of this murder and mess. He lost his mom and brother in a horrifically violent event---even with flaws they might have had, the loss is real. He has the opportunity to make himself the best he can be. And, with his father in prison, he may find new people to model himself after.

I am not sure what it would be like to be in the public's eye in such a divisive case.

What would you call someone who lost his mother and baby brother to murders committed by his father, lost his heritage and lifestyle due to his father's acts, who still loves his father while grieving his family and has his name being smeared in national media when he is innocent of any wrongdoing? Victim.

Others lost money, he lost his entire family.
I agree. I’m sure Buster will be fine financially, but no amount of money will bring back his mother & his brother.

I think Jim Griffin said, it well....para phased ...anyone going forward, its clear defamation.

I'm glad BM made a statement, draws a line in the sand going forward.

SC law is very clear, those who write, speak or publish defamation can be held liable.

I've also noticed, FITS and crew have backtracked, removed many Twitter post and a couple of the pod cast have been removed.

SECTION 16-7-150. Slander and libel.

Any person who shall with malicious intent originate, utter, circulate or publish any false statement or matter concerning another the effect of which shall tend to injure such person in his character or reputation shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction therefor, be subject to punishment by fine not to exceed five thousand dollars or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year, or by both fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the court; provided, that nothing herein shall be construed to abridge any right any person may have by way of an action for damages for libel or slander under the existing law.

FITS fired them a long time ago right after Mandy got sued. Not sure if FITS was named in the lawsuit too as her employer.

I have been away from WS because of obligations, so I know I'm behind.

But, I do have questions. I am very confused by these latest articles.

Was the stepfather coerced?
Why was he urged by Randy Murdaugh?
I thought there was evidence that Smith wasn't hit by a vehicle (no skid marks, shoes still on)...
Was Smith placed in the road and these 2 came along and hit him?

Wilson’s stepfather — at the encouragement of Alex Murdaugh’s older brother — tipped investigators off to the boys’ involvement in the death?? First why didn't Murdaugh go himself??!

All these new articles are giving me more questions than answers.
Ugh!!

"8.3.15
I received a message to call SLED agent Michael Moscal in reference to discussing trace
evidence located on the deceased clothes in this case. During our conversation, Mr. Moscal
advised he located around 10, 1mm single layer blue paint chips. Mr. Moscal advised he needed
more paint layer evidence to pinpoint a particular vehicle. Mr. Moscal advised that the PDQ
database indicated the paint could be from an industrial tool, dumpster, or sign post. Mr. Moscal
added that Toyota used this particular paint on its vehicles from 1982 to 1988."

I think the persons of interest did this, either on accident somehow, or one was standing in the back of the pickup with a baseball bat and hit Stephen. But then, why was he in the middle of the road? OR one of the persons of interest or potentially both, experimented with their sexuality and ended up murdering him over it... like the Jimmie Lee case.

Page 81: Stephen's "boyfriend" (Mark is a documented p*dophile so I hate calling him Stephen's BF) files a report for telephone harassment. I find this interesting. He was calling the police nonstop + leaving voice messages after the death, then when detectives attempted to return his calls, making 5 or so calls, it went straight to voicemail. Allegedly someone had been calling Mark saying he'd "die like Stephen". Mark also makes a claim that Stephen's mom, Sandy Smith, has been following him around town and telling people he killed her son.

There is a large amount of time unaccounted for. If Stephen got out of class at 10 at the latest, and if it took him an hour to get to where his car was found, and his body was found just before 4 am, that leaves at least five hours unaccounted for. I do think that he was in the back of a pickup truck because of the paint fibers on his clothes and shoes, but not on his head or in the wound. His tox screen was clean -- no alcohol, no drugs. Where was he during those five hours? I doubt he was laying on the road all that time, and the coroner said that his body was warm to the touch. JMO.

April 1

Sitting here today and reflecting upon the two weeks since my partner Ronnie and I took on representing Sandy Smith on behalf of Steven Smith, I am feeling really good about the progress we have made and what is coming. Justice is coming and I don’t think anything’s going to be able to stop it. If anyone deserves justice, it is Stephen, But nothing that we have accomplished so far could’ve been done without all of you who have supported this cause , Chief Keel at SLED and some well-meaning people in the media and the MMP crew. EB

To the media. We are receiving a number of requests from different media this weekend to provide comment on a number of topics. Out of respect for the Smith family, we will make no further comment this weekend on any of these matters and will be glad to discuss them with you next week. EB

This is odd, I thought FITS NEWS was publicizing Buster, as the suspect. Where's Mandy?
Moo

Law enforcement in South Carolina are eying two potential persons of interests in the 2015 murder of gay teenager Stephen Smith, who was found dead just a few miles from Alex Murdaugh's former hunting estate.

Local news website FitsNews has named the two people as Patrick Wilson and Shawn Connelly, both 25, citing sources from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.
IF the Shawn/Patrick story is true and SS died from a hit and run and these two are responsible, there would be evidence at the scene of a hit and run. More than one person has said there was no evidence of a hit and run. So what, who, or where the accident involving Shawn/Partick happened and who may have been injured or killed is not this accident.

If my kid told me he was drunk and thought he killed someone, I would retrace his steps to see if anyone was injured or killed. Is there any connection between BM and these two guys?? Do they know the other two BM was supposedly with after a softball or baseball game, if that is true or is the now refrain that both BM and PM were not in the area or out of town on that night??

I have confidence in SLED but am skeptical as to why they are so on board now. Where were they in 2015, is it because local LE didn't invite them to be a part of any investigation?? I wonder what can be found now by exhuming SS. Is it just to see what can be found, if anything, so to put to rest that they have done everything possible to find evidence?

I hope there is a break in this case. I hope there is tons of info not known to us and it will break loose and be announced and arrests are made!

Re Mandy and FitsNews -- do they even work together anymore?? I hope they split amicably but something tells me that maybe they didn't. I respect both sources. All JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back