SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

A rape kit conducted on the Hampton County teenager in 2015 after he was found in the middle of the road was previously reported as “unaccounted for,” according to various media outlets. But an attorney representing Smith’s family recently told The Sun News that the state’s top law enforcement agency, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, now has it.

Attorney Eric Bland said his understanding is that SLED has had the kit since 2021 when it took over the investigation, but it hasn’t been processed to his knowledge. It had previously been stored at the S.C. Department of Public Safety’s Central Evidence Facility since August 2015, according to an evidence chain of custody form acquired by The State newspaper.

A SLED spokeswoman told The Sun News she couldn’t comment on anything related to the ongoing investigation.
Why conduct a rape kit, then not process it? Odd. I would assume what was collected would be easier and more valid if tested ASAP. Too many strange actions/inactions in this case, from day 1.
Makes me wonder how many other cases handled by the same Office may have missed vital information.

Why conduct a rape kit, then not process it? Odd. I would assume what was collected would be easier and more valid if tested ASAP. Too many strange actions/inactions in this case, from day 1.
Makes me wonder how many other cases handled by the same Office may have missed vital information.
IMO, I think this information about the unprocessed rape kit was first released in a way to indicate the death was first being treated by the coroner as suspicious and a crime, and suddenly shifted to hit and run and no reason to stay on task and process the rape kit for results.

4/25/23

But Dr. Paul Uribe, a Texas-based certified pathologist, said rape kits are occasionally collected as part of death investigations — especially if the death occurred under suspicious circumstances.

If there is any inclination a death might be a homicide, he said, it is best to collect potential DNA evidence immediately because it likely won't be possible to collect later.

And even if it is collected, Uribe said, there usually has to be an impetus to test the kit, which doesn't usually happen unless the death is ruled a homicide, due to the costs associated with it.

The mother of Stephen Smith, whose death on a lonely Hampton County road was ruled a homicide more than seven years after the case was closed, joined calls for criminal justice reform in South Carolina at a State House rally Tuesday.

Sandy Smith honored her son, who she remembered as smart, kind and generous, and joined seven other speakers in calling for more protections for victims in South Carolina’s judicial system.

Stephen Smith’s mother joins SC crime victims calling for new laws for victims

“It’s a new chapter we’re starting,” Smith said. “For eight years we have been fighting for Stephen to get the answers in his case. I don’t know how to fix the problems that led to my son’s murder being mishandled from the beginning, but I do know that I am thankful to have so many wonderful people helping me to get justice for Stephen.”

A crowd gathered in front of the State House on a spring day to rally for the rights of victims. Among the speakers were lawmakers, advocates and the victims’ parents. As the legislative session enters its last week, they called for support for a broad range of bills and initiatives intended to fill holes in South Carolina’s judicial system.

SPEAKING NOW: the mother of Stephen Smith a 19-year-old nursing student from Hampton, South Carolina, was found dead in the early morning hours of July 8, 2015. His case was reopened in 2021 following the deaths of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh
@wachfox
I know you were quoting a primary source, but the initial sentence shocked me somewhat. By using a comma instead of the word "who" is seemed that Stephen's mother had died.

Well it looks like there's a suspect lined out.
Subpoenas and warrants are being issued along with the GJ.
I don't think it's going to be Murdaughs. I think, I'll be really surprised if it's any of the Murdaughs.

Keep in mind, y’all - both of these articles are older, but probably relevant to the recent GJ news. Speculation & MOO

Subpoenas, warrants issued as part of investigation into Stephen Smith’s death​

CourtTV
By Lauren Silver
May 26, 2023

In an interview on Thursday night with Court TV’s Julie Grant, Smith’s mother’s attorney, Eric Bland, said that the investigation is moving forward. Bland said that police told him that investigators have met with the state’s Attorney General to give them the full briefing on the case. Bland said that warrants and subpoenas are being issued, but he did not specify any people who may be receiving them. Bland also said that he believes a grand jury has been impaneled in the case.

“It would not surprise me that over the next couple months, we would near something regarding Stephen Smith and the decision South Carolina reached that he was killed by homicide,” Bland said.

A tipline has been established and a $35,000 reward is being offered in the case. Bland said that police have told him they have received and investigated approximately 40 tips to date."

Subpoenas, warrants issued as part of investigation into Stephen Smith's death

Yes finally! I'm wondering about the convenience store owner. Iirc, he was known to SS and AM and others, kind of a fixture in the area. I would think he will be a witness, at least, IMO
I'm not sure I understand.

I only know of one convenience store owner and he's being sued by the Beach family for contributing to the boat crash death of Mallory Beach which is a completely different case. Why would this business owner be a witness for SS's death?

I'm not sure I understand.

I only know of one convenience store owner and he's being sued by the Beach family for contributing to the boat crash death of Mallory Beach which is a completely different case. Why would this business owner be a witness for SS's death?
The convenience store owner I'm thinking about is the one where AM cashed large checks. Iirc SS also knew him and went on trips with him. Maybe I'm wrong..

The convenience store owner I'm thinking about is the one where AM cashed large checks. Iirc SS also knew him and went on trips with him. Maybe I'm wrong..
Thank you. If I remember correctly, SS may have been on the phone with the store owner when he disappeared so he could be a witness to corroborate the alleged phone contact and/or SS's last known location.

Convenience store owner=Kash Patel. Sandy Smith said Stephen and Kash went to parties together and were in a group of friends together. Russell Laffitte said that he and Alex would cash checks at the gas station owned by Patel’s family.

Smith's mother's attorney said that police told him investigators had recently met with the state's Attorney General.

May 28, 2023

In the latest investigative report obtained by Court TV, detectives from Hampton County, South Carolina, warrants and subpoenas are being issued. Still, none of the names of those served have been made public.

"It would not surprise me that over the next couple months, we would hear something regarding Stephen Smith and the decision South Carolina reached that he was killed by homicide," Bland said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back