SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

Teen found on side of road now deemed homicide after Murdaugh case reignites interest: Family attorney

The body of a teenager found along a South Carolina road, whose death was being re-investigated after public interest was renewed during the Alex Murdaugh case, has now been deemed a homicide, the family attorney says.

The extraordinary disclosure of the death investigation of Stephen Smith came in a phone call between lawyer Eric Bland and South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) Chief Mark Keel.
Moselle is close to the location of the car. The body was straight through the forest as though walking home. His cell phone was not used while he may have cut through the forest. He left his wallet in the car. No injuries below the torso, shoes on. I'm curious to see the autopsy report.

Attachments

• 1679454040937.png
    1679454040937.png
    961.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 1679454632789.png
    1679454632789.png
    960.5 KB · Views: 33
It appears that SLED reopened SS case in 2021 after new evidence was discovered during investigation of MM & PM murders. Kept it quiet until after AM conviction.
And as in the 3/20/23 article perhaps the FOI request pushed SLED a bit too:

“News4 is trying to track down what happened with this investigation.

We have filed a freedom of information request with SLED, the Hampton County Sheriff's Office, and the SC Highway Patrol.

We want to look at emails sent between the agencies in 2015 regarding Stephen's death.

Why was this case ruled a hit-and-run when so many investigators said otherwise?”

“SLED officials have revealed that they did not need to exhume Stephen Smith’s body to convince them that his death was a homicide," said Bland and his partner Ronnie Richter in a joint statement. "However, they will be present and participate in any exhumation of Stephen’s body to gather more evidence. We are committed to finding out what really happened, and getting the peace and justice the Smith family deserves."

SLED declares Stephen Smith's 2015 death a homicide. Mother Sandy Smith 'in shock, elated'​

Michael M. DeWitt, Jr.
Greenville News
Updated 9:34 EST March 22, 2023

Sandy Smith, the mother of Stephen Smith,whose unsolved death has haunted her for eight years, had a short but excited message when she learned that state police are now moving forward with his case as an official murder investigation.

"I've been waiting on this news for almost 8 years!" Smith emailed to The Hampton County Guardian Tuesday night. "I'm in shock, I'm elated, I'm waiting for the next chapter!"

Smith's reaction came minutes after her new legal representatives in the case involving her deceased son, Bland Richter LLP, disclosed the results of a phone call with South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) Chief Mark Keel.

Keel told the family's attorneys that the death of Stephen Smith is now officially being considered a homicide, "a shocking announcement after eight years of being proclaimed a highway vehicular manslaughter," said Bland Richter in a statement Tuesday night.

~snip

More at link:

Was it ever verified if Stephen's car was actually out of gas?
I've wondered the same thing many times and to my knowledge there is no report on the mechanical condition of Stephen's car, not even from his mother. If I were to guess, it was towed and held in the police impound lot where it may or may not have had fuel added to it before it was released.

Taking a look at SC legal code it doesn't seem that "homicide" has an explicit legal definition but is implicitly used to describe murder, voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter. SLED is only committing to the minimum possibility that Stephen was accidentally killed by a driver acting recklessly (which not stopping after a serious accident might imply).

Very eager to know what evidence relating to this case was discovered during the Murdaugh Murder investigation. They kept that dog kennel video pretty secret for a good long time though so not expecting to find out soon. Unless somebody wants to just tell us

Was it ever verified if Stephen's car was actually out of gas?

Troopers found Smith’s vehicle, a yellow 2013 Chevrolet Aveo, approximately three miles away from his body and noted in the report it was parked off of the roadway. Its gas tank door was open and the gas cap was hanging on the side of the vehicle, the report states.

The report stated the battery was functional but that the vehicle would not start.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back