School District offers Family Thousands to keep Autistic student out of school.

I am so sorry this has happened to you!

Where I live kids are not allowed to attend public school after their 20th birthday, but I do think the kids with special needs are allowed attend much longer.
Kinda O/T...

I know the young man down the street from me still gets picked up by a special equipped school bus everyday during the school year. I know he is over 21!
I am almost certain he is 23 because I remember the day he was born. He was a patient at our office and one of the doctors I worked for was called to attend his delivery. - a big law suit followed, (not against the Dr I worked for)
He has cerebral palsy is non verbal and wheelchair bound.
He also requires round the clock nursing care.

Now I am curious whether they are taking him to school or some type of facility for care - maybe the county only has special equipped school buses available to transport him. Hmm...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I see you are in GA with me. The SPED student cannot turn 22, and Non-SPED cannot turn 20 before September 1 of the last year they attend in Georgia.

I've got a feeling that people with kids who have conditions from ADD to more severe have trouble with school districts in each state, at least some of the time.

Is this teacher tunured or something? I cannot imagine why any school district would keep someone on who treated any student like that!
Especially a special ed teacher!

Why should she be allowed to stay and your child asked to leave?
It sure sounds like hush money to me. Moo

Kudos to you and all you have done for your son!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Why is it that in some ways we just can't get past the fifties? The now famous saying by Rodney King, "Can't we get along?" will never be answered.

I am so sorry for what you and your son are going through MaH.

My daughter is not SPED, but last year a SPED teacher was a temporary coach for my daughter's girls pep squad team. She was horribly mean to the girls on the team and when the girls got their new (skirted) uniforms in this teacher tried them on the SPED boys in her class, took pics and sent them to the girls. With the pic she sent a message saying "these dumb boys will do a better job than you guys". I was horrified that she did that to her own students. Several mothers including me reported it to the supt of edu. The next day she was removed as coach and within a week transferred to another school. Later I found out that she had been transferred twice previously. I just do not understand how this type of behavior is not a firing offense. I pray for her current students all the time.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Absolutely not authorized. In fact, all of his dietary needs were to be handled by the 1:1 nurse, who reported the teacher. The teacher believed she could cure autistic sensory issues with food textures by forcing a "no thank you" bite. But, when he tried to spit out she covered his mouth with her hand, till he vomited.
The teacher has a history of abuse with non verbal students, but the school has retained her and fired 3 nurses, reassigned another who was a "team player", fired 2 principles, and 2 para educators behind this one administrators attempts to cover up for her teacher friend. The fired employees have all agreed to testify.
So, their last attempt to keep themselves out of court, at the advice of their inexperienced attorney was to bribe me, keep me quiet, and him and outside eyes out of school.

The "release" they hoped I would sign for $86,000

Oh. My God.

I am glad you are fighting this all tooth and nail. Bless you, and best of luck.

My daughter is not SPED, but last year a SPED teacher was a temporary coach for my daughter's girls pep squad team. She was horribly mean to the girls on the team and when the girls got their new (skirted) uniforms in this teacher tried them on the SPED boys in her class, took pics and sent them to the girls. With the pic she sent a message saying "these dumb boys will do a better job than you guys". I was horrified that she did that to her own students. Several mothers including me reported it to the supt of edu. The next day she was removed as coach and within a week transferred to another school. Later I found out that she had been transferred twice previously. I just do not understand how this type of behavior is not a firing offense. I pray for her current students all the time.

THESE people who call themselves educators for the kids make me ill. I was physically ill reading your post. I am so sorry :( Thank you for your well wishes too!

Many of you answered questions for me. IDEA is a Federal Law, It's in all 50 States. A Special Education student is provided Special Education until they are 22 at School District expense. Some Districts, pay for private education to get students out, some teachers run others off, most quietly attend Special Day Classes in the School system and learn transitional living skills. Like David was doing, up until a year ago when his nurses< both were fired> reported the abusive teacher and unlawful neglect for interfering with David's Diabetes care and causing a low glucose seizure and force feeding him protein he cannot digest until he vomited. He does this every day now, and it is an uncontrollable reflex after eating. The bottom line is I hired his own trained 1:1 nurse that they fired. It would save them the $160,000 they were paying in wages to provide 1:1 assistance. They refuse to allow her or me (his parent) to provide the care at my own cost PLUS want me to take their bribe... only criminals do that.

They want me to forego his physicians orders, His IEP, Diabetic Management Plan and Individual Health Plan that requires her trained 1:1 nursing care specifically or mine and because I filed complaints, & retained an attorney. Who has since quit when I refused to sign medical authorization for their untrained, non english speaking, health aides to take care of David, who cannot communicate with him to determine pain or illness- or their blanket release. They won't allow him to use his Ipad and software he "speaks" with. They offered my attorney $10,000 in attorney fees in their settlement agreement offer. She wanted her fees, for me to sign away his rights, send him to school with people who had allowed harm to him, previously who can't understand his communication system and are completely untrained on his brittle, type 1 insulin dependent diabetic needs that include testing, treating 8-15 times a day.

On a GOOD note, he is enjoying my home schooling that we have been doing since last year (Feb 2013) He goes with his nurse, rides her horses, goes swimming, bowling, works on his ipad vocabulary, typing, self help and living skills, he has a driver, a personal attendant, a private duty nurse. Today he helped unload hay, bought a new cowboy shirt and did his water aerobics. See his smile? :) He's safe and happy.

Attachments

• s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 47

One word-tenure. At least imo. I knew of a contracted spec ed teacher who would brutalize her non verbal students. She was released from the organization and was hired by a school as a para professional teaching assistant. She was supposed to assist students who needed small group instruction based upon their IEP's. She set her sites on a quiet, shy student and made the student's small group instruction time a living hell.

Once it was discovered what was going on between this para and the student, the para was instructed to stay away from this student and the student was re assigned-but the para was not removed from the school system and she still had access to students.

Umm, huh?? KWIM?

I wish the Daily Mail had contacted CA DOE and the School Superintendent for comment.

I wish the Daily Mail had contacted CA DOE and the School Superintendent for comment.
Daily Mail seldom if ever actually investigates or follows up on their stories, mostly they copy and paste from other sources, BUT... the fact that they printed it is an automatic pipeline to other media to follow up, hence the HLN contact, for example. I won't be surprised if other national media outlets pick up on it as well.

9/06/2013- SCSOS receives U.S. Dept.. of Education, Office of Civil Rights determinations, orders for Corrective Actions and signed Resolution Agreement with SCSOS/OCR on August 23, 2013. Superintendent Bill Cornelius Refuses to notify Parents of OCR Decision or Corrective Actions and 4 days later offers not to convene the IEP meeting and determine supports and services but rather the $86,000 bribe and coercion to sign the blanket release that would effectively release them from compliance with OCR's Corrective Actions.

Parents were not notified of the Decision by OCR or the Resolution Agreement until a status request was made and given on 9/6/2013 by email. The District's knew and continue their pattern of adverse actions against anyone who engages in protected conduct on David's behalf. Truly and horribly wrong. Parents have filed a retaliation complaint, non- compliance and breach of the Resolution Agreement as of 9/8/2013 by fax.

original documents at
www.davidswansonstory.com

Mahouston69, it would help me enormously if I understood WHY the school objects to David's presence. (As I said above, I feel the opposite: his presence in the classroom is a great lesson in diversity--tolerance of which our public schools should be teaching.) After all, you are supplying the supervising nurse, if I understand correctly.

I realize it isn't entirely fair to ask you to speak for the school system, so I'm only asking what they have said. If you think there is a hidden agenda, I'd be happy to hear that, too.

So I guess I'm asking, "Why do they SAY they are willing to pay $86K to keep David out of a room?" And what do you believe their real motivation is?

I wonder if the people terminated by the school would qualify for whistleblower status?

I listened to nearly 2 hours, so far, of the IEP meeting recording http://soundcloud.com/mahouston69/iep-at-ycusd from your blog.

(Just FYI-- a few of your blogs's links, like to IEP11082012, do not work for me.)

Incredibly complicated.
I cannot even start to imagine how I would deal w. this.
You are being a great advocate for your son.

Hoping you can resolve IEP questions and implementation for David.
He looks very happy in the pool pix.

Just my request for my own nephew..keep us informed how this works as my nephew is autistic and we are having trouble getting him in preschool. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. TIA. We have very little help or guidance.

.....I'm confused by the entire situation and a little baffled by what has transpired so far...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back