ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybervampira

Reaction score
Pennington County Fire Service

Public asked for help finding missing child

Pennington County, SD – Law enforcement agencies are now looking for a missing nine year old girl last seen at 11:20 am, Sunday, February 3, 2019, leaving the Children’s Home Society on South Rockerville Road. The Sheriff’s Office is concerned for her safety especially considering the winter weather conditions and her lack of warm clothing.

Serenity Dennard is described as a Caucasian female, 4’7”, 90 pounds, with blue eyes and shoulder length dirty blonde hair. She was last seen wearing only a long sleeved grey shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots. (Picture attached) She is from Sturgis and may be trying to get to family.

Pennington County Deputies, Pennington County Search and Rescue, Custer County Search and Rescue, Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department, Rapid City Fire Department and at least three dogs are searching the area around Highway 16 and Rockerville. If anyone has seen or had contact with this little girl, please contact the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office at (605) 394-6115.

##

upload_2019-2-4_1-48-21.png

Pennington County Sheriff's Office

Authorities In Pennington County Searching For Missing 9-Year-Old Girl

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
75-80 searchers including 10 dog teams and two aircraft will search for Serenity this weekend. TeePee Gulch Road will be closed again. To date, over 260 interviews have been conducted. Pennington County Sheriff's Office

https://listen.sdpb.org/post/search-resumes-serenity-dennard
[...]

"They're cadaver dogs. Because, we believe that she is in the woods...she is deceased at this point. So, we'll use cadaver dogs, and again they come from out of state and around South Dakota. A total of ten teams."

[...]

Thom says the FBI has reviewed the case file and provided technical assistance.

He says his agency has also received support from the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation, South Dakota Wildland Fire, and numerous agencies throughout the Rapid City area.

MAR 30, 2019
https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/The-search-is-on-to-find-Serenity-Dennard-507883951.html
serenity+still.jpg

[...]

With the weather warming up, rescuers searched over some of the same areas they had in the past. Hoping with snow melted, more clues would be found.

The group met Saturday morning at 8 a.m. and will continue searching until 6 p.m. All with the hopes to locate the young girl.

"It's hard knowing as a searcher that I've got a missing nine year old in my backyard out here. We want closure for that family, we want closure for Serenity and we want closure for the community," says Gail Schmidt, the fire chief at Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department.

Rescuers plan to be on the look for Serenity bright and early Sunday morning. They tell us they do not plan on giving up hope.

Sometimes going back is worth another look. Here is a release from the SD from back in february. The facts changed here days in with this press release and they changed again to what we believe now. I bolded just a few examples.

"Investigators looking for couple who saw missing child
Pennington County, SD – Investigators with the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office want to speak with the couple who last saw the missing nine year old near the Black Hills Children’s Home. A male and female were cutting wood in the area of Foster Gulch and South Rockerville Road and spoke with Children’s Home staff on Sunday, February 3, 2019, between 10:30 am and 11:30 am. They are described as being in their late 20s or early 30s and driving a pickup truck.
We believe these two may have been the last to see Serenity Dennard. Deputies would like to speak with them to better determine a timeline on Serenity’s disappearance and her direction of travel.
Serenity was last seen leaving the Black Hills Children’s Home on Sunday about 10:45 am. She is described as a Caucasian female, 4 foot 7 inches, 90 pounds, with blue eyes and shoulder length dark blonde hair. She was last seen wearing only a long sleeved grey shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots.
More than 65 people and four dogs continue searching the area around the Children’s Home including Pennington County Deputies, Pennington County Search and Rescue, Custer County Search and Rescue, Rapid City Police Department, Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department, Rapid City Fire Department and the Civil Air Patrol.
We encourage anyone living in the Rockerville and Highway 16 area to search their outbuildings and property. If anyone has seen or had contact with Serenity Dennard, please contact the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office at (605) 394-6115."

A lot of conflicting info from day one until now. Timelines, last sightings, woodcutters, did she run straight outside or into a hallway (only said later). 911 time of call and more. That is why many wonder, why wouldn't they?

Not at anyone in particular, not LE, not the home, not a possible abductor, but wow... This is so different as it was days before and days after and now with conflicting info...

Just venting. Still praying for you Serenity. jmho.

ETA: Added quotation marks for press release

Can't wait for you to share your opinion on the interview.

So do I have this right that the adoptive mother was unaware that Serenity had been in Children's Home since July 2018?

I also note that at 6:00 on the tape, the adoptive mother claims that a therapist told her to treat Serenity younger than her actual age? That's called "re-parenting," a method used in Attachment Therapy. While it's okay to treat a child as younger – if it's the child who initiates the request – it's considered bad practice for the parent to initiate it.

AT — Reparenting Methods

Posted 1 hr ago:
“Today’s search included 94 people, ten K9s and 2 aircraft, all working together to locate Serenity. Unfortunately, that did not happen. We plan on picking up the search tomorrow morning.

We want to give a huge ‘THANK YOU’ to the following:

Rapid City Police Department
Box Elder Police Department
SD Highway Patrol
Meade County Sheriff's Office
US Forest Service
SD GFP
Pennington County Search and Rescue
Custer County Search and Rescue
Rapid Valley VFD
Fairburn VFD
Wall VFD
Ellsworth FD
Box Elder VFD
Black Hawk VFD
Rockerville VFD
Johnson Siding VFD
Battle Creek VFD
Pennington County Fire
Pennington County Office of Emergency Management
BH Aerial Adventures
Heath Lowry and BLENDABLE
82nd Civil Support Team
Pat Hall
City of Rockerville
Gaslight Restaurant & the Rockerville VFD team for lunch!
Wolfpack Dogs
Marsha Patterson and her K9 from Iowa
Northwest Wyoming K9 and Recovery
Park County (CO) Search and Rescue
LaPlata Co SAR (Colorado) K9 Team
Colorado Forensic K9’s”

3F49A4AB-BC5D-4642-80E1-AD7D2DC1C34D.jpeg DEA45663-DEA9-4A55-B07A-B21991945A4D.jpeg 60B414E9-110E-4B3A-9945-EB37BBFF609F.jpeg 300E8AC0-400C-4E75-9512-E2F9B293087D.jpeg 4D44F6DF-27D0-45F3-BB93-4F672D113DCE.jpeg

Pennington County Sheriff's Office

<modsnipped quoted post>

Slightly OT, but I like your tag line (or whatever it's called):

Our past is not the greatest reflection of us. Yesterday is the best reflection of us. Resilience and recovery are within us all. <3

If only Serenity could have the chance to live those words...

Last edited by a moderator:
So do I have this right that the adoptive mother was unaware that Serenity had been in Children's Home since July 2018?

I also note that at 6:00 on the tape, the adoptive mother claims that a therapist told her to treat Serenity younger than her actual age? That's called "re-parenting," a method used in Attachment Therapy. While it's okay to treat a child as younger – if it's the child who initiates the request – it's considered bad practice for the parent to initiate it.

AT — Reparenting Methods

To respond to the first part of your post, yes, the adoptive mother states that was unaware Serenity was in this home, no one advised her, not her ex nor the home. To my knowledge, neither has refuted her statement either.

To respond to the first part of your post, yes, the adoptive mother states that was unaware Serenity was in this home, no one advised her, not her ex nor the home. To my knowledge, neither has refuted her statement either.
And obviously she never asked where she was either since she had been there for months and she didn't know.
Nice touch to bring the Barbie Dolls and the Frozen trinket box to the interview though.

And obviously she never asked where she was either since she had been there for months and she didn't know.
Nice touch to bring the Barbie Dolls and the Frozen trinket box to the interview though.

I can't disagree. I can speculate what I think happened and why she had no contact and things with regard to her and her ex- and the children but it makes no difference anyhow and would only be speculation. In the end, it was this child that suffered. Adopting and divorcing almost immediately alone is just another in a long series of things this child went through.

From the moment of adoption to when the divorce was filed for was mere months I believe. So Serenity came into a home from a series of foster homes, had a new brother also adopted she did not know, new parents and a new residence. In short order, she and the new brother she would hardly know are moved in with the dad who has another stranger, a new gf, and then they are back and forth it sounds like for awhile between adopted mom and dad, etc. That is a lot of changes in a short period of time. The time before adoption was just as bad, as was the time after.

People make mistakes and I get that but there were a whole lot of failures in this little girl's life.

imo.

The mother unnerved me with her cheer. The Frozen box was the wrong choice for a girl presumably lost in sub zero temperatures. I think it's clear she had washed her hands of Serenity a long time ago and has a happy new life and man. I understand the point of the home and it's hopefully helpful intensive therapy and routine living environment, but as a mother how could she not stay involved in the least? Even if she lived with the adoptive Dad! How can you just not even check on a child you adopted? For at least 8 months? Not a card for her birthday or Christmas? I still check on the dogs I fostered! So many people have let this little girl down.

I also still strongly think this is a kidnapping off the road case and her face should have been all over the news earlier.

The mother unnerved me with her cheer. The Frozen box was the wrong choice for a girl presumably lost in sub zero temperatures. I think it's clear she had washed her hands of Serenity a long time ago and has a happy new life and man. I understand the point of the home and it's hopefully helpful intensive therapy and routine living environment, but as a mother how could she not stay involved in the least? Even if she lived with the adoptive Dad! How can you just not even check on a child you adopted? For at least 8 months? Not a card for her birthday or Christmas? I still check on the dogs I fostered! So many people have let this little girl down.

I also still strongly think this is a kidnapping off the road case and her face should have been all over the news earlier.
Another thing that caught my attention during that interview was the mom said she was told Serenity had been talking about her while in the Children's Home and she thought maybe she ran away hoping to find her way back to her. Sniff sniff. But then when talking about arriving at the Children's home and speaking to them after Serenity ran away, they seemed to not know anything about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong