ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that after a few years working with these kids, people become so cynical and jaded. A kid starts crying about being "sick", so instead of taking a child to the ER, the protocol is to wait and see what happens, because these kids are often used to manipulation as a way of life.

The problem is that the workers are NOT medical professionals, but they are making medical decisions.

Same as a child who runs, I will almost throw this out there...that she left, in the cold, and cynically, the staff said, "She will come back when she is cold enough.". Because workers get tired of the constant drama. I bet she was gone twice as long as reported. And I would also carefully interview each of the workers again, alone, and see who blames who, and who cracks first. There may be more to this situation...

If the child is outside, the outcome won't be positive here...

I very much disagree. While every facility is different, and different states have different regulations, that would never ever happen here in CT. I’ve worked in this field as have many of my friends and coworkers, and while burn out is a very real thing, it’s not allowed to get to this extent. There are multiple things put into place to prevent such a thing, such as extended paid vacations for direct support professionals, capped maximum work hours, etc. Also, the pay here for a job like that starts at $14.75 an hour, and that’s entry level no/limited experience, so while it’s not great pay, it’s not terrible either.

Also, in my state, any medical decisions are made under the direction of a nurse with many many hours of medical training for the employees themselves.

sbm, bbm

I take that to mean the dogs never found her scent that day she went missing (or after.)
Would bad weather/ heavy snow affect their ability to track?

?
The dogs have alerted but without going back through the articles I couldn't tell you what day it was. Weather, and snow in particular can make a difference, but it also depends on the dogs. There was a boy in France buried in snow about a month ago who was found by an avalanche dog.
MOO

I find it hard to believe that Serenity was able to get very far IF she was on foot, with no jacket, a light shirt, and only boots in absolutely frigid conditions. She would have been feeling pain before she got to the parking lot. The terrain has steep hills and deep gullys. Most children who wander are found less than a mile away: on flat ground. Imagine a 9 yr old running in great weather, most can't go more than a hundred yards at a time, now picture that in frigid temps with wind and steep hills. I am now leaning toward someone picking her up.

I find it hard to believe that Serenity was able to get very far IF she was on foot, with no jacket, a light shirt, and only boots in absolutely frigid conditions. She would have been feeling pain before she got to the parking lot. The terrain has steep hills and deep gullys. Most children who wander are found less than a mile away: on flat ground. Imagine a 9 yr old running in great weather, most can't go more than a hundred yards at a time, now picture that in frigid temps with wind and steep hills. I am now leaning toward someone picking her up.
EXACTLY! Which is why I wondered why they didn't immediately use heat detection technology? Especially in the winter conditions and need to find her quickly.

EXACTLY! Which is why I wondered why they didn't immediately use heat detection technology? Especially in the winter conditions and need to find her quickly.
And its winter- very sparse vegetation, everything slightly white. I think she would stick out visually. I hope that couple just picked her up (speculating obviously)

And its winter- very sparse vegetation, everything slightly white. I think she would stick out visually. I hope that couple just picked her up (speculating obviously)
I do and I don't hope that they picked her up. It would be nice to think she was safe and warm somewhere, but then, we have no clue what kind of people they are. They could be dangerous and do more harm to her. Not to mention, we don't know much about why Serenity is at that home- she could be a danger to herself or others, too.

This has been upsetting me beyond words. Praying they find her today.

I very much disagree. While every facility is different, and different states have different regulations, that would never ever happen here in CT. I’ve worked in this field as have many of my friends and coworkers, and while burn out is a very real thing, it’s not allowed to get to this extent. There are multiple things put into place to prevent such a thing, such as extended paid vacations for direct support professionals, capped maximum work hours, etc. Also, the pay here for a job like that starts at $14.75 an hour, and that’s entry level no/limited experience, so while it’s not great pay, it’s not terrible either.

Also, in my state, any medical decisions are made under the direction of a nurse with many many hours of medical training for the employees themselves.
Exactly. We were trained in First Aid and CPR, but we never handled any emergencies- we called for help. If someone sprained an ankle or had a sinus infection, we would drive them to the doctors, but that was the folks that lived in group homes. At the main rehab, there was doctors and nurses on staff that handled any medical attention.

I agree about the burn out and how it's handled. Many people just leave and find work elsewhere, but there is help available if needed for workers to do as you said- take time off and support. I have never heard of staff allowing any missing child or adult just go missing and not spring into action to find them. These places would be shut down for employing such people, and they would be arrested for it!

I do and I don't hope that they picked her up. It would be nice to think she was safe and warm somewhere, but then, we have no clue what kind of people they are. They could be dangerous and do more harm to her. Not to mention, we don't know much about why Serenity is at that home- she could be a danger to herself or others, too.

Only because if she was outside she didn't make it through the first evening- I am hoping they are the "picked her up and took her to Disney" types.

If anyone picked up a nine year old child who was alone surely they would notify LE. Like, immediately. Even if the person had somehow been disconnected from all the news coverage and didn’t know a child had escaped, you would know that children don’t wander around alone in that brutal weather.

Only if a person with less than honorable intentions would pick up a child wandering alone and not call LE.

So, it seems that someone saw Serenity talk to the missing couple? This has me worried. I wish whoever did talk to them took their license plate, names and phone numbers down. Or did this couple come forward first and no one asked for their information? If they watch the news or read online, they have to know she's missing by now!

I really would like to hear the results of some infrared hunts. Seems to me that would HAVE to have encountered SOMETHING.
Sadly, they were unable to use air resources the first day because of the weather conditions. :(
MOO

Whispering Pines Volunteer Fire Department

Serenity Dennard

Update in search for missing child from the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office Pennington County, SD –

Additional resources are now searching for a missing nine year old girl last seen at 11:20 am, Sunday, February 3, 2019, leaving the Children’s Home Society on South Rockerville Road. The Civil Air Patrol joined the rescue effort by air and ground Monday morning. Serenity Dennard is described as a Caucasian female, 4’7”, 90 pounds, with blue eyes and shoulder length dirty blonde hair.

She was last seen wearing only a long sleeved grey shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots. (Picture attached) Pennington County Deputies, Pennington County Search and Rescue, Custer County Search and Rescue, Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department, Rapid City Fire Department and at least three dogs searched the area until 10 pm Sunday. Searchers used hand-held thermal imaging devices. Deputies stayed all night patrolling the area and the search resumed with additional resources Monday at 7 am. We appreciate the public’s offer of help, but we have the professional staff we need and the option for additional resources.

The Pennington County Sheriff’s Office has been asked about issuing an Amber Alert. Currently, this does not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert, which includes credible evidence that a child under 18 years old has been abducted. We encourage anyone living in the Rockerville and Highway 16 area to search their outbuildings and property. If anyone has seen or had contact with Serenity Dennard, please contact the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office at (605) 394-6115.

Search continues for missing 9-year-old girl

View attachment 167426
I just wanted to bold the part of the searchers using hand-held thermal imaging devices in a post made by @cybervampira earlier. I have no idea how reliable these are, but it makes me feel better that they did attempt to use some kind of thermal imaging while searching for Serenity in the earlier searches.

Pennington County Sheriff's Office

Investigators looking for couple who saw missing child
Pennington County, SD – Investigators with the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office want to speak with the couple who last saw the missing nine year old near the Black Hills Children’s Home. A male and female were cutting wood in the area of Foster Gulch and South Rockerville Road and spoke with Children’s Home staff on Sunday, February 3, 2019, between 10:30 am and 11:30 am. They are described as being in their late 20s or early 30s and driving a pickup truck.
We believe these two may have been the last to see Serenity Dennard.
Deputies would like to speak with them to better determine a timeline on Serenity’s disappearance and her direction of travel.
Serenity was last seen leaving the Black Hills Children’s Home on Sunday about 10:45 am. She is described as a Caucasian female, 4 foot 7 inches, 90 pounds, with blue eyes and shoulder length dark blonde hair. She was last seen wearing only a long sleeved grey shirt with flowers, blue jeans and snow boots.
More than 65 people and four dogs continue searching the area around the Children’s Home including Pennington County Deputies, Pennington County Search and Rescue, Custer County Search and Rescue, Rapid City Police Department, Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department, Rapid City Fire Department and the Civil Air Patrol.
We encourage anyone living in the Rockerville and Highway 16 area to search their outbuildings and property. If anyone has seen or had contact with Serenity Dennard, please contact the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office at (605) 394-6115.

View attachment 167458
Bolded information about the couple- So no one on staff got their names, address, phone numbers and license tag?

They voluntarily (from what I can see) talked to the staff at the Children's Home- you would think that someone there would have gathered this information, just in case! It appears that they didn't take Serenity with them, if they were talking with the staff on their own- at least in my opinion. I am guessing that no camera picked up their license tag

But if you saw a 9yr old in the frigid cold with no coat in the middle of nowhere- you would intervene and keep them safe. I mean you would do that for a dog. By the time she got to Foster Gultch she would have already been in bad shape. I just find it suspicious.

But if you saw a 9yr old in the frigid cold with no coat in the middle of nowhere- you would intervene and keep them safe. I mean you would do that for a dog. By the time she got to Foster Gultch she would have already been in bad shape. I just find it suspicious.
I can't make any sense out of Foster Gulch period. It looks like a 2-hour walk via the roadway. :confused: Do I have the wrong spot here?
Google Maps

ETA: Cancel that. :oops: The couple was cutting wood in the area of Foster Gulch but saw Serenity near the Children's Home.

Last edited:
Have they said approximately how far away the couple was from the Children’s Home? When I map Foster Gulch to the Children’s Home , it is 5.8 miles via Rockerville Road. Walking through the woods would be shorter, but by foot, along the road, it gives a time of over 2 hours to go those 5.8 miles. I realize that the pinpoint on the map for Foster Gulch is likely centered on the Gulch, but it still seems an awful distance in the frigid temperatures for her to have gotten in the period of time that they are talking about. Not to mention, what kind of adult would not have taken a child wearing just a T-shirt into custody for her safety, unless she ran when she saw them as well.

Have they said approximately how far away the couple was from the Children’s Home? When I map Foster Gulch to the Children’s Home , it is 5.8 miles via Rockerville Road. Walking through the woods would be shorter, but by foot, along the road, it gives a time of over 2 hours to go those 5.8 miles. I realize that the pinpoint on the map for Foster Gulch is likely centered on the Gulch, but it still seems an awful distance in the frigid temperatures for her to have gotten in the period of time that they are talking about. Not to mention, what kind of adult would not have taken a child wearing just a T-shirt into custody for her safety, unless she ran when she saw them as well.
YES! there is no way she made it that far without a coat and no way if by some miracle she did that you wouldn't have scooped her right up and helped her. It would be so out of the ordinary to see a child there and she would have been near death. Either that detail is incorrect or the story is not entirely true.

if someone approached my boy while he was having a "moment" for their safety I wouldn't want them to approach. they would need to know safe holds. school tried to have an officer approach my son, he kicked him in the privates. this girl is also larger then my boy, he is only 49lbs and 9 years old.
i am so worried about this little girl, mental health in children is so scary. they dont think like we expect them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74