Seeking info: Kidnapped young girl named “Drew” from Memphis, TN—year uncertain, could be 60’s-70’s

Indyannie

Reaction score
My now deceased grandparents (RIP) moved to Memphis, TN in 1966. I was a young girl in the 80’s, maybe age 7-10 at the time, when my grandmother told me about a little girl named Drew who had lived nearby when they first moved to Memphis. Drew went out to ride her bike one day, but was never seen again.

My grandparents lived in the area of Kirby and Messick Rd.

I don’t remember if I was told that Drew was found murdered, or if her body was never found…

This case has haunted me till the present day. Is there any way to find out who Drew is, or was, based on the few facts stated above?

I feel that the name “Drew” is relatively uncommon for a girl, which could possibly help in the search for her or her family?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Sometimes people go by their middle names.
Something else I did not consider, thank you!

I wish I had asked my Grandma questions at the time. I can try to ask my mother, but I am just now realizing how odd it was that she never told me about it herself, and only my Grandma did.

I was warned plenty about self defense and stranger danger growing up in Memphis, but my mom never mentioned Drew to me.

NamUs records only four cases of females being reported missing in TN during that period, none of whom seem to match:
grafik.png

My now deceased grandparents (RIP) moved to Memphis, TN in 1966. I was a young girl in the 80’s, maybe age 7-10 at the time, when my grandmother told me about a little girl named Drew who had lived nearby when they first moved to Memphis. Drew went out to ride her bike one day, but was never seen again.

My grandparents lived in the area of Kirby and Messick Rd.

I don’t remember if I was told that Drew was found murdered, or if her body was never found…

This case has haunted me till the present day. Is there any way to find out who Drew is, or was, based on the few facts stated above?

I feel that the name “Drew” is relatively uncommon for a girl, which could possibly help in the search for her or her family?

Any help would be appreciated!

could you possibly get more info from other family members who were older than you at the time and may remember other details?

Thank you so much, I was not familiar with NamUs!
Is this a record of those who are still missing/unsolved cases, or does it have info if they were later found deceased?

The Missing Person's section of NamUs is for people who are still missing. Typically if they are located (safe or deceased), they are removed from NamUs (unless it's accidentally overlooked) and will no longer be visible there. JMO.

I wonder if it was Vicki Lynn Hoskinson who was murdered in 1984 after being kidnapped off her bicycle in broad daylight. This was in Tuscon though but if your grandparents had heard about it this would be kind of the right time frame for when you were a child to have heard about this story as it would have happened in the same decade.

I can't find anything in the historic newspaper for Memphis about a missing girl named Drew or Dru from 1965-1970. Is it possible it happened wherever they lived before Memphis?
They lived in Hopkins, Minnesota before moving to Memphis—now I am wondering if it could possibly have been there and I misunderstood her!

Also wondering if it happened in the late 70’s or early 80’s instead of 60’s-70’s…

I just remember standing in her backyard in the early-mid 80’s, in Memphis, listening to the busy traffic go by as we stood behind the gate, and her telling me about this…

She was warning me about stranger danger at the time, as there had been some crime in the area and intruders had come into her backyard through that gate. That is what spurred her, I believe, to start telling me about Drew/Dru…

Last edited:
I wonder if it was Vicki Lynn Hoskinson who was murdered in 1984 after being kidnapped off her bicycle in broad daylight. This was in Tuscon though but if your grandparents had heard about it this would be kind of the right time frame for when you were a child to have heard about this story as it would have happened in the same decade.
Interesting—thank you so much! This does sound exactly like what happened to Drew/Dru except I cannot remember my grandmother telling me if she was murdered or not…I seem to remember being told she was kidnapped while on her bike, and then not knowing what happened after that…all these years later and I cannot stop thinking about what happened to her, who her family was…

Last edited:
I wonder if maybe your grandparents confused a few stories merged into two , or if it was just to keep you alert?
Yes, I suppose that is a possibility! I will report back here after I contact my Mom to see if she has any additional information. She would have been a teenager when they moved to Memphis in the 60’s and hopefully remembers some details about what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back