Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was one of the most irritating things about her - from a very long list. Dressing up her self-interest and selfishness as concern. When she dared to bring in spirituality, it made me want to scream. She was a moral guide. A shining hypocrite. The Arias Police For The Prevention Of Vice and Promotion of Virtue. She wanted to guide Ryan Burns too. The audacity of it is mind-blowing.

When the lady detective urged her to confess to do the right thing spiritually....Jodi just stared at her like she had three heads.
The whole religious aspect was a way to get Travis to marry her.

Couldn't agree more. One of the disturbing aspects of this case was the struggle around religion and obeying the rules.The pressure on Travis to behave in a certain way relating to chastity was huge. It's very different to the norm for young men in Western society. This led to a perceived distance between him and some friends. So much stress and worry about being judged. Arias played this to the max, betting that she could create drama and negative judgement re sex. Detective Flores burst that bubble for her in the interview room.

Travis' friends and family showed their intense love for him - illustrating what really mattered without judgement around chastity. They held their heads high during the sex tapes showing Arias that they would not let their brother be shamed. Travis was a normal man in an abnormal situation. He wasn't in a position to judge others, I agree. Life is a struggle for us all at times. We all slip, say things we regret. Luckily, we don't have a psychopathic murderer recording every small transgression - or inventing some.

I think none of us are ever in the position to judge others, and yet I imagine we all do. Travis was less than perfect in areas other than chastity, as, again, I imagine we all are.

Truth be told, I realized from the very beginning of this case that had I met Travis in my day to day, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been interested in getting to know him. He was Republican, pro-gun, a devout Mormon, a salesman, cocky....I think I would have run the other way, actually.

And, I would have lost out on meeting someone that had I looked past those superficial differences I think I would have not only respected, but really liked.

I identify with survivors, enough said. I have the utmost admiration for Travis's willingness to acknowledge aspects of himself he didn't like, and his unwillingness to make excuses for himself.

He was only 30. In my mind, he was still a very young man, barely into adulthood, who IMO had he not been murdered would have gone on to make the kind of peace with himself that tempers judgement of others.

ETA. (Struggling to say this the way I want to....).

Maybe can't.

Last try.....What was "imperfect" about Travis has always made me feel most sad, not because of expectations of perfection, but because his vulnerabilities and weaknesses and flaws made him seem more real to me.

And with that, I give up. :(

Not pocket, but it tells me she thought out her "I was never in AZ", I have the gas receipts to prove it (gas can idea) back then. So murder was on her mind, that's why she had to keep accurate receipts.

Yes, I believe that at that PPL event, they talked about how PPL is a "business," and you should have a separate account for it. And, you should keep receipts which might possibly be considered "business" expenses. And, you should have a good story about how those expenses were related to the business (meals, mileage, etc).

I agree that this moment in time probably gave her the idea to keep receipts (and be ready to interpret them in a creative manner), and also to make sure no receipts existed that would implicate her in the murder.

At that point, the seeds were sown. She is nothing if not an opportunist...

Credit: Beth Karas on Crime subscription website. From 's journal:

I think it can be taken two ways.

1 - Have intent to make money it's not a hobby I do think these pertain to the event she was at. She's writes all kinds of ppl crap. I think she was just hitting the high-points, and not really listening her mind is else where. It also mimic's Travis and his journals.

2 - Keep accurate records two checking accounts. For tax reasons one for business, and one personal. Didn't she have two? and one was a business account.

3 - A good story to go with the receipts If you use any receipts for personal use, then summit them for business to the IRS make up a good story if you're audited. Some people mention their business during dinner and that receipt could be submitted because it was a "business" expense".

That could of been when the idea of no receipts in Arizona could prove she wasn't there. How in the world can any mother swallow a story of see I was never there, her's my receipts.

Was this the event where Gus doesn't join the Mormon church because he didn't want to give up playing cards? And was it the same ppl event where she writes about Gus and a woman on a horse and carriage ride?

I think it can be taken two ways.

1 - Have intent to make money it's not a hobby I do think these pertain to the event she was at. She's writes all kinds of ppl crap. I think she was just hitting the high-points, and not really listening her mind is else where. It also mimic's Travis and his journals.

2 - Keep accurate records two checking accounts. For tax reasons one for business, and one personal. Didn't she have two? and one was a business account.

3 - A good story to go with the receipts If you use any receipts for personal use, then summit them for business to the IRS make up a good story if you're audited. Some people mention their business during dinner and that receipt could be submitted because it was a "business" expense".

That could of been when the idea of no receipts in Arizona could prove she wasn't there. How in the world can any mother swallow a story of see I was never there, her's my receipts.

Was this the event where Gus doesn't join the Mormon church because he didn't want to give up playing cards? And was it the same ppl event where she writes about Gus and a woman on a horse and carriage ride?

Came from her last PPL event in Mesa (Tempe), April 1, the 2nd day she was supposed to have left but didn't.

The horse and carriage, Gus and Ms. Coffee event came earlier. That would be the event Gus asked her to/ paid her to photograph, which she said in her journal was reason enough, really, after all, to justify spending time with a man she called in the same journal entry an adulterer and unworthy of her attention.

No one is perfect, and that includes Travis. He had a terrible upbringing but still managed to make a life and career for himself. It doesn't give the killer the right to take that life away from Travis. There is no justification for what she did. Travis was totally unprepared to deal with a woman of such evil as even though his life was difficult growing up, he was still surrounded by many people who loved him and they allowed him to flourish. The animal that is JA simply took advantage of Travis' good attributes - over and over again. If the only bad thing they (the DT) could have found to discuss was his sex life, we are talking about a non issue IMO. But no, they had to make issues up to defend his killer - pedophilia, etc. Why? Because they knew he was loved by many even with his flaws. His life was full and the killer's was empty. He had everything the monster wanted, only she was too lazy to put forth the effort to achieve what he had. RIP Travis.

Sky said when Travis would try and break away she'd cry and remind him he'd baptised her.

When the lady detective urged her to confess to do the right thing spiritually....Jodi just stared at her like she had three heads.
The whole religious aspect was a way to get Travis to marry her.

How monstrously calculating she was. To use religion as emotional blackmail so soon after meeting him.

Those recordings with Detective Rachael Blaney - spot on regarding Arias' demeanour. It made me cringe to see how spectacularly Detctive Blaney was failing to connect with her Mormon conscience. Arias had no interest in religion beyond a means to an end. It was just another act. In court and interviews her answers revealed this. The Blaney tapes also show how uninterested Arias was in connecting with a woman. There is a different energy when Detective Flores was interviewing. Arias uses her breathless little girl voice. It failed. I think that's part if the reason she despises Detective Flores, refusing to even give him a respectful title in court.

How monstrously calculating she was. To use religion as emotional blackmail so soon after meeting him.

Those recordings with Detective Rachael Blaney - spot on regarding Arias' demeanour. It made me cringe to see how spectacularly Detctive Blaney was failing to connect with her Mormon conscience. Arias had no interest in religion beyond a means to an end. It was just another act. In court and interviews her answers revealed this. The Blaney tapes also show how uninterested Arias was in connecting with a woman. There is a different energy when Detective Flores was interviewing. Arias uses her breathless little girl voice. It failed. I think that's part if the reason she despises Detective Flores, refusing to even give him a respectful title in court.

She even tried to use the religion to "connect" with Flores. She gathered that he was raised Mormon and began to insert that she too was Mormon every chance she could. Wanted to "protect" Travis. Talking about wards, temple etc. Wore a BYU shirt when she went to Mesa PD to give DNA

The borderline who is my grandsons mother is the same way. Few female friends. Uses her looks and superficial charm to get what she wants/needs from men. Once she got into the CPS system she ran up against women who saw right through her. A lady judge took her son from her and gave him to my son. She finally found herself in a situation she couldn't manipulate her way out of. No tears or wild stories moved these ladies a bit. They saw through her and the web of lies she had spun.

I think none of us are ever in the position to judge others, and yet I imagine we all do. Travis was less than perfect in areas other than chastity, as, again, I imagine we all are.

Truth be told, I realized from the very beginning of this case that had I met Travis in my day to day, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been interested in getting to know him. He was Republican, pro-gun, a devout Mormon, a salesman, cocky....I think I would have run the other way, actually.

And, I would have lost out on meeting someone that had I looked past those superficial differences I think I would have not only respected, but really liked.

I identify with survivors, enough said. I have the utmost admiration for Travis's willingness to acknowledge aspects of himself he didn't like, and his unwillingness to make excuses for himself.

He was only 30. In my mind, he was still a very young man, barely into adulthood, who IMO had he not been murdered would have gone on to make the kind of peace with himself that tempers judgement of others.

ETA. (Struggling to say this the way I want to....).

Maybe can't.

Last try.....What was "imperfect" about Travis has always made me feel most sad, not because of expectations of perfection, but because his vulnerabilities and weaknesses and flaws made him seem more real to me.

And with that, I give up. :(

BBM

The bolded part I agree with completely. It was exactly what the defence wanted us to think. It's one of the reasons why they played the tape. Making Travis look as bad as possible on that tape was carefully crafted Arias manipulation. The tape was the first real introduction the public had to Travis. It was his voice. Arias posed questions to make him seem as judgemental as possible. She hit each mark precisely as an unsuspecting Travis criticised various people whilst Arias fake defended them.

Travis didn't sound like a very nice guy on that tape. Disinterested, tired, bored in places. It was intended to shock for more than just the sexual elements. One of the reasons so many people love Juan Martinez is that he did not allow this to pass. He brought the real Travis into the courtroom, introduced us to the love and loyalty of his family and friends. Travis should never have had to be 'rehabilitated'. He was a normal young man slaughtered by a jealous, psychotic, evil non-entity. The defence strategy may have worked with a less brilliant prosecutor. Martinez let Arias expose her true self through lies, smirks, immature snarling and responses. Each time he did it, he discredited what she had to say about Travis. The public saw the truth and supported justice for Travis in a massive wave of love for his family and friends. On this forum, I've seen people feel embarrassed that their first impression of Travis was poor. I empathise entirely yet it was entirely natural given the defence smears and that damn tape. No one need feel bad about seeing Travis' flaws as these same people also saw his sweetness and kindness thanks to Juan. Luckily, the jury convicted her of murder and a measure of justice was served.

Travis was trying to become a better person. I agree he would have reflected, matured, learned more with age. Arias will never learn, grow, mature. She is stuck at evil for eternity.

The borderline who is my grandsons mother is the same way. Few female friends. Uses her looks and superficial charm to get what she wants/needs from men. Once she got into the CPS system she ran up against women who saw right through her. A lady judge took her son from her and gave him to my son. She finally found herself in a situation she couldn't manipulate her way out of. No tears or wild stories moved these ladies a bit. They saw through her and the web of lies she had spun.

What a nightmare for you and your family. Thank heavens that your grandchild is safe. Isn't it interesting how women saw through her? I'm not suggesting men aren't capable of doing so but with Arias I was struck by the female jurors ability to see fake very clearly (with the exception of one idiot on the second trial). The jury foreman who defended Arias from the death penalty used some strange language to explain why. It suggested he had been influenced by her gender or looks.

On a side note, I think Arias ramping up the ugly in court was a bad move. I know it's stereotypically the strategy of defence teams to make victims seem unthreatening, mousy. I don't think the fake glasses and hideous clothes helped soften her in any way.

(...)

Gus was such a weirdo. How anyone would buy anything from him is a mystery to me? One thing confuses me re him. IIRC Arias sent a text to Travis saying something like she was stoked for him going on a date with a woman. Or Arias was maybe trying to set one up. I thought Gus was married. If married, it doesn't sound like something a Mormon would condone. I'm a little hazy on this so if anyone knows more, please fill me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilgrlbghrt