Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #9

A Notice of PCR has been filed, but the PCR itself has not been filed . Her PCR attorneys got extensions just to file the notice; reason: the voluminous amount of transcripts,etc..getting copies of transcripts,unsealing transcripts - the usual blah blah blah from this case. There was a recent STATUS CONFERENCE regarding the PCR.
The civil case against the Nurmi's was DISMISSED by Arias a few months before she filed her Notice of PCR, which makes one (me) wonder if she wanted to get those depositions out of the picture with her upcoming PCR.
JSS is retiring soon, she will not be reviewing the PCR, but another DP judge will.

A Notice of PCR has been filed, but the PCR itself has not been filed . Her PCR attorneys got extensions just to file the notice; reason: the voluminous amount of transcripts,etc..getting copies of transcripts,unsealing transcripts - the usual blah blah blah from this case. There was a recent STATUS CONFERENCE regarding the PCR.
The civil case against the Nurmi's was DISMISSED by Arias a few months before she filed her Notice of PCR, which makes one (me) wonder if she wanted to get those depositions out of the picture with her upcoming PCR.

I haven't checked the PCR docket or kept up. But, I imagine the process is still in the very beginning stage, which is about her attorneys obtaining the massive trial & appellate record as well as the records of JM's & Nurmi's Bar complaints, including all the evidence submitted for both, which included personnel records & many, many depositions. Much of both the court & Bar records were/remain sealed.

The State (Court) cannot refuse to allow her to file a PCR petition, nor can they refuse to accept receipt of it, nor may the Court refuse to consider the petition. It sounds like her attorneys haven't even filed yet.

What the Court can do after reviewing her PCR petition is to reject it outright, on the grounds the issues raised in it have no merit. Or, more unlikely, the Court can find an issue/issues raised are significant enough to warrant granting a hearing, in which her attorneys could further argue their case (and be refuted by the State). Most unlikely of all, the Court ( here, to be specific, we are talking about JSS herself ) could grant that hearing, see the light, be convinced a terrible injustice was done to the butcherer of Travis, and throw out the guilty verdict. Nah.
I haven't checked the PCR docket or kept up. But, I imagine the process is still in the very beginning stage, which is about her attorneys obtaining the massive trial & appellate record as well as the records of JM's & Nurmi's Bar complaints, including all the evidence submitted for both, which included personnel records & many, many depositions. Much of both the court & Bar records were/remain sealed.

The State (Court) cannot refuse to allow her to file a PCR petition, nor can they refuse to accept receipt of it, nor may the Court refuse to consider the petition. It sounds like her attorneys haven't even filed yet.

What the Court can do after reviewing her PCR petition is to reject it outright, on the grounds the issues raised in it have no merit. Or, more unlikely, the Court can find an issue/issues raised are significant enough to warrant granting a hearing, in which her attorneys could further argue their case (and be refuted by the State). Most unlikely of all, the Court ( here, to be specific, we are talking about JSS herself ) could grant that hearing, see the light, be convinced a terrible injustice was done to the butcherer of Travis, and throw out the guilty verdict. Nah.

JSS is retiring soon, she will not be reviewing the PCR, but another DP judge will.

Thank you for that info - do you have a "date" on "when" this was filed. I'd like to keep my notes up to date! TIA! :)

edited to add - and the "date" of this Status hearing?

Thanks for the explanation re PCR. I believe the notice to file was 7/13/21. I misunderstood what was due.
Yes can you imagine the volumes of transcripts to be reviewed. What a waste of resources for the State of AZ. I know, due process. But I’ll be happy when anything to do with the killer is paid for by AZ taxpayers. It’ll be over soon but not soon enough for me.

Have you all ever looked at the case of Jennifer San? She sounds like JA, especially in the way she lies.

I'm looking at her interrogations here. I wonder if JA got some of her ideas from JS, thinking they'd sound convincing?

I did a deep dive on that same Vlogger and he has some very interesting analysis on JA's Flores interrogation. Maybe y'all have seen it before (it has 23 million!!!!! views), but it's entirely new to me.
He says, among other things, that the woman detective in the interrogation was super right on task and sharp, and why.

Has anyone posted this yet? The series is now approved by Mods.

Hi Rickshaw! I just came here to post this. I love these guys; they are spot on. Something I had never noticed before was her mirroring of the interviewer. It’s very creepy!

Arias is just not human. She may be made of flesh and blood but the wiring is that of a robot. As smart as she perceives herself to be, she never caught on to the fact that she comes off as machine without an ounce of humanity.

I’m surprised she made as far as she did in life without being arrested for minor stuff. She was obviously very practiced in deception and sneaking around. I’m sure she committed more than a few crimes before the big one.

I think someone dissecting Arias could fill a textbook with an analysis of her psychopathy. Someone should really do a deep dive and publish. Perhaps @Hope4More? JK I know Hope is done with this one.

Wow. On so many levels this is cuckoo. I actually think employees should get time off to go to rehab, but to claim you’re sober when you’ve “only had a few sips” since rehab…. Well, that’s not sober.

The other question here… how much of this is sexist? Would we get the same news story about a male prosecutor? I doubt it.

He was disbarred by consent, which means he knew he would lose. Question is why he's not the only one losing their license.
"Consent" can be a slippery term, eh? He chose to stop fighting being disbarred, after a very long & very expensive fight. That he stopped because he knew he would lose is certainly possible. If so, it's the *why* he might have been sure he would lose outright or lose too much by continuing to fight that's relevant.

He's a smart man. Smart enough to understand the power of those intent upon bringing him down, who had strategically deprived of the financial resources to afford the battle. And smart enough to understand that his former allies, including Bill Montgomery, had thrown him under the bus for their own gain.

"Consent" can be a slippery term, eh? He chose to stop fighting being disbarred, after a very long & very expensive fight. That he stopped because he knew he would lose is certainly possible. If so, it's the *why* he might have been sure he would lose outright or lose too much by continuing to fight that's relevant.

He's a smart man. Smart enough to understand the power of those intent upon bringing him down, who had strategically deprived of the financial resources to afford the battle. And smart enough to understand that his former allies, including Bill Montgomery, had thrown him under the bus for their own gain.
This. All this. It's all about politics and nothing more.

JM made his bed, nobody to blame but himself.

Unfortunately, I agree, JM, my/our hero let us all down, and that doesn't even begin to descibe how he let down Travis and his family. His behaviour was totally RECTLESS in an international (global) case that should have made him super aware of how careful he should be conducting himself inside and outside of the courtroom. He didn't do that, and he has nobody to blame but himself. Politics and power plays came later after he made his bed. moo

I'm late to this case, and I know this has been been discussed ad nauseam but here is my two cents on why JA shot Travis after after stabbing him 29 times and cutting his throat.

I think that after she cut his throat at the end of the hallway and dragging him back to bathroom, air escaped from his lungs through the cut in his neck. This would have freaked her out. She had to be wondering what she had to do to finish him off. This is when I think she shot him and why the bullet casing was found where it was.

Her ninja lie, about the man and the woman, was an attempt, I believe, was to try and direct investigators towards Sky and Chris Hughes.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back