September 11 missing (not at WTC)

The links probably weren't anything. That Sneha sounded younger, said she was studying I.T. I found two others by the same name, who sounded young too.

The best I can come up with, to fit the facts, is she went shopping, bumped into a woman she knew from the neighborhood, and went home with her. The next morning, they heard the news, ran outside to see what was happening, and were both killed when the building collapsed.

Ok... some updates... Some of the old links aren't working.

Sneha Anne Philip Missing September 10th, 2001 (possible that she ran into the towers the following morning- she was a doctor) Battery Park, New York City, NY. Still missing.

Michele Anne Harris Misisng September 11, 2001- Owego, New York. Husband tried multiple times. She's never been found. Updates HERE

Ernest Lyons Missing September 12th, 2001- Manhattan, New York City, NY. Nice looking man... still listed as misisng on NYPD website. If he's having problems with his bipolarism, he is probably not in the best shape.

Laurie Cannon Missing September 13th, 2001- Charlotte-Mecklenburg, NC She's not listed on the police dept's site. No resolution to the older Doe Network article

Amber Shawnell Hoopes Missing September 14, 2001- Idaho Falls, Idaho. Still missing. Possible suspect committed suicide after another abduction. He use to work for her grandparents.

Annette R. Mammone Missing September 15, 2001- Charlotte, NC. Still missing. Link HERE
She was from the same area as Cannon.

Missing doctor declared dead in September 11 terrorist attacks

An appeals court has ruled that a doctor whose disappearance just before Sept. 11 led her family on a painstaking search for answers was killed in the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

The state Supreme Court’s Appellate Division on Thursday rejected a previous ruling that said there was no proof Dr. Sneha Anne Philip, last seen in a department store across the street from the trade center on Sept. 10, 2001, was at ground zero during the attack.

“The evidence shows it to be highly probable that she died that morning and at that site, whereas only the rankest speculation leads to any other conclusion,” the court wrote.

The ruling could clear the way for Philip’s name to be added to the official Sept. 11 death toll, although the victims’ list is overseen by the city’s chief medical examiner. A message left Thursday with the office wasn’t immediately returned.

More at link.

Wow, this is sad. It seems to me that Sneha's family is in deep denial about Sneha and her lifestyle. I'm sorry but women who are frequenting lesbian bars and going home with women from those bars on a semi regular basis are not going home with them to paint. Her husband is being very naive about some of the things that were allegedly going on. Perhaps she just ended up going home with the wrong person that night. Judging from previous arrests she seemed like she could have a bit of an attitude at times and could be very stubborn. Who knows....but there is no evidence to show she was at the WTC on the morning of 9/11 - I'm not saying she wasn't but there is nothing to prove she was either. I am surprised the court ruled in the favor of the family. I guess in a way it is annoying to me that the family would prefer to be ignorant and deny where Sneha's past behaviors may have led her instead choosing to believe she was a 9/11 hero. I am sure lots of family's of the missing would love to believe their loved one died a hero but that may not be the case......
I am not trying to be insensitive, on the contrary. It seems the family is so focused on her dying on 9/11 that they could be ignoring clues that would actually help find out what really happened to her. It seems to me they are very prideful and very concerned about what the community will think of them and would rather not know the truth - if the truth is Sneha went home with someone from a gay/lesbian bar after a few drinks and met with foul play so instead they have choosen to believe she died a hero even if that is not the case.

Wow, this is sad. It seems to me that Sneha's family is in deep denial about Sneha and her lifestyle. I'm sorry but women who are frequenting lesbian bars and going home with women from those bars on a semi regular basis are not going home with them to paint. Her husband is being very naive about some of the things that were allegedly going on. Perhaps she just ended up going home with the wrong person that night. Judging from previous arrests she seemed like she could have a bit of an attitude at times and could be very stubborn. Who knows....but there is no evidence to show she was at the WTC on the morning of 9/11 - I'm not saying she wasn't but there is nothing to prove she was either. I am surprised the court ruled in the favor of the family. I guess in a way it is annoying to me that the family would prefer to be ignorant and deny where Sneha's past behaviors may have led her instead choosing to believe she was a 9/11 hero. I am sure lots of family's of the missing would love to believe their loved one died a hero but that may not be the case......
I am not trying to be insensitive, on the contrary. It seems the family is so focused on her dying on 9/11 that they could be ignoring clues that would actually help find out what really happened to her. It seems to me they are very prideful and very concerned about what the community will think of them and would rather not know the truth - if the truth is Sneha went home with someone from a gay/lesbian bar after a few drinks and met with foul play so instead they have choosen to believe she died a hero even if that is not the case.

It's true that there's no physical evidence that she was in the vicinity of the WTC that day, but in the same respect, there's technically no physical evidence of 1,100 of the victims who died in the towers either. (And by that I mean we still know they were victims, not that they weren't actually there.)

She lived right near the WTC, and she left all her ID behind. IMO she probably went out that morning for coffee and was in the wrong place and the wrong time or she did, as her family suggests, run to help. The appellate court determined:
...evidence “powerfully suggests that she was in the area at the time of the attacks, either returning home, or having just left home again five minutes before the first attack ... to look at Windows on the World or to some other errand"....The court said that no evidence was ever found that Philip had run away or had been murdered elsewhere in New York.

She sounds like she was emotionally unstable and perhaps made some questionable choices, but I don't think that's related to her disappearance. (Anecdotally speaking, I've been to two out of three of the bars mentioned in that NY Magazine article--which is a bit sensational IMO--and they're no more dangerous or seedy than your average NYC bar.)

I wish I could find information about the woman mentioned on the first page of this thread, the one who went missing on her way home that day--the one who had spoken with her mother on her cellphone several times that day. I remember reading about it at the time, but now I can't remember the details. Google isn't helping me at all. As I recall, she was walking home to the Bronx (or Washington Heights?), she had spoken to her mother and was quite far from Ground Zero, but never made it home. When her mother tried calling her cell phone, the outgoing message had been changed and it wasn't her daughter's voice. Can anyone help?

I agree there is a probability she was in the towers. My point was just that I would hate for them to miss what really happened because they have already decided this scenaro is what occured. Again, not saying this isn't what happened just pointing out there is an alternative. The 1,000+ victims who are missing but listed as victims can easily be placed at the scene because they were either employees or rescue workers.

I live in NYC, have several gay friends and have been to a few of the bars mentioned too. They tend to be your typical trendy gay/lesbian bars. I wasn't meaning to suggest she was hanging out of seedy gay bars. I was pointing out that when women go to lesbian bars and consistently go home with other women at the end of the night they are probably participating in sexual behavior....not painting and her husband seems a little naive about the whole thing.

I spent some time looking for the girl who disappeared on her way home and cannot find anything at all about it. I keep getting 'confused boy unable to call home.' If I find anything I will let you know.

I wish I could find information about the woman mentioned on the first page of this thread, the one who went missing on her way home that day--the one who had spoken with her mother on her cellphone several times that day. I remember reading about it at the time, but now I can't remember the details. Google isn't helping me at all. As I recall, she was walking home to the Bronx (or Washington Heights?), she had spoken to her mother and was quite far from Ground Zero, but never made it home. When her mother tried calling her cell phone, the outgoing message had been changed and it wasn't her daughter's voice. Can anyone help?

I was thinking about that case the other day too.... Thinking caps on!

This was a different gentleman who was declared a victim in 2002... They had the records of his MTA card.

NYT Article HERE
9/11, a Man Went to Work. His Fate Is a Mystery.
By ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS
Published: May 9, 2002

Juan Lafuente, a laconic Cuban immigrant, lived in the shadow of his prominent wife, Colette, mayor of the city of Poughkeepsie. Friends remember him as a shy creature of habit, a man who made repairs around the house, mowed the lawn, cared for the old Volvo and was devoted to his four grown daughters.

On Sept. 11, Mr. Lafuente vanished without a trace. Although he worked about eight blocks from the World Trade Center, neither his wife nor his colleagues at Citibank, where he was a vice president, had any hint he was going to the twin towers that day.

There is only speculation.

Among the 2,800 victims of the attack, Mr. Lafuente is one of a small number of victims who had no known connection to the trade center. Even homeless advocates knew their clients who frequented the towers, and illegal immigrants had family who knew where they worked.

Mr. Lafuente's last apparent act was recorded by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority: his monthly MetroCard was swiped at the subway turnstile in Grand Central Terminal at 8:06 a.m. Sept. 11. His usual stop, Wall Street, was two blocks south of the twin towers.

I have been searching forever... I want to say that I probably saw it in the New York Post or Daily News... The story was just as you stated it... I want to say that there was something about Hell's Kitchen as well- relating to the cell phone.

I found it!!!!

It was in the New York Post. her name: Yvette Moreno

These are only the snipits from the archive (pay)

WHERE DID YVETTE GO? BRONX WOMAN LEFT WTC & DISAPPEARED
New York Post - New York, N.Y.
Author: JOHN LEHMANN
Date: Sep 29, 2001
Start Page: 005
Section: News
Text Word Count: 575
Abstract (Document Summary)

The strange twist of events has given Yvette's mom, Ivy [Yvette Moreno], fresh hope that her 24-year-old daughter - who worked for commodities firm Carr Futures on the 92nd floor of the north tower - is still alive.

"The phone is still working - even now," Moreno said yesterday. "And the phone was in The Bronx, where Yvette told us she was coming after the attack."

MYSTERY DEEPENS: WTC worker Yvette Moreno phoned her brother after the attack to say she was on her way home. She never showed up in The Bronx - but her cell phone did.

BODY OF MISSING BX. WOMAN FOUND
New York Post - New York, N.Y.
Author: John Lehmann
Date: Oct 9, 2001
Start Page: 023
Section: News
Text Word Count: 92
Abstract (Document Summary)

Yvette Moreno, 25, called her mom from her cell phone on Sept. 11 to say she had safely escaped her 92nd-floor office after the planes hit.

There was a blogger posting stating that it was thought that she was hit by falling debris from the collapsing tower. This article in News Day said that she was on an overpass one or two blocks away.

Maybe someone found her cell phone and tried to use it? People were desperate for phone service...

I live in NYC, have several gay friends and have been to a few of the bars mentioned too. They tend to be your typical trendy gay/lesbian bars. I wasn't meaning to suggest she was hanging out of seedy gay bars. I was pointing out that when women go to lesbian bars and consistently go home with other women at the end of the night they are probably participating in sexual behavior....not painting and her husband seems a little naive about the whole thing.

Hi gaia227, I'm sorry--I was away from the computer for a few days (unusual for me to say the least). I didn't mean to sound like a scold, and just wanted to say we're on the same page.

Audrey77: I'm so happy that your google skills are better than my own. I found the full text of the articles you're looking for on Lexis-Nexis. Here's the first one:

WHERE DID YVETTE GO? BRONX WOMAN LEFT WTC & DISAPPEARED

BYLINE: JOHN LEHMANN

SECTION: All Editions; Pg. 005

LENGTH: 534 words

The mother of missing World Trade Center receptionist Yvette Moreno was beginning to lose hope for her daughter when the telephone rang.The news sent her heart racing - the female caller had been out walking on 205th Street in The Bronx and was asked by a stranger if she wanted to buy a cell phone.
The cell phone for sale belonged to Yvette.

The strange twist of events has given Yvette's mom, Ivy Moreno, fresh hope that her 24-year-old daughter - who worked for commodities firm Carr Futures on the 92nd floor of the north tower - is still alive."The phone is still working - even now," Moreno said yesterday. "And the phone was in The Bronx, where Yvette told us she was coming after the attack."
About 20 minutes after the first plane crashed into the tower, Yvette called her brother Roland, saying she had made it to safety outside the building and was heading home to The Bronx. She never arrived.
On Wednesday last week, her cell phone was offered for sale, triggering the unidentified woman's call to the Moreno home in Eastchester, The Bronx.
After the telephone was offered to her for sale, the woman rang its number to see if it was in working order.
She heard a voice message on the phone - which had been recorded by Yvette's friend, Andrea Pucci - giving details on how to contact the family with any information about Yvette.[Cut the rest for copyright issues...mostly info on how to contact her mother if you've seen her or have information; not really pertinent anymore, bu feel free to PM me if you want the entire article!]

And here's the second:

October 9, 2001, Tuesday
BODY OF MISSING BX. WOMAN FOUND

BYLINE: John Lehmann

SECTION: Late City Final; Pg. 023

LENGTH: 86 words

The mystery of a Bronx woman's disappearance after the World Trade Center attacks has a tragic ending: Her body was found under a fallen walkway that led from the center's north tower.

Yvette Moreno, 25, called her mom from her cell phone on Sept. 11 to say she had safely escaped her 92nd-floor office after the planes hit.But that was the last anyone heard from her.
"We never gave up hope," said Ivy Moreno, Yvette's mom. "But now we have to accept my beautiful angel has gone to a different place."

---

So tragic. (I misremembered the story--I thought she'd made it further north for some reason, which made her disappearance more mysterious.)

Audrey77: I'm so happy that your google skills are better than my own.

You know what? The search engines did not like the "/" in "9/11". When I took that out... it worked... LOL

Thank you for posting the articles... I don't have my LN account anymore :-(

I thought that she had made it further as well... It was a long walk. I couldn't imagine walking down all of those stairs, only to outrun a collapsing building. :-(

Michelle Harris- whom we listed in this thread more than 3 years ago, is being featured on 48 Hours on CBS RIGHT NOW!!!

I watched that last night. I was shocked they arrested her husband AND he was convicted. I think he murdered her but they just did not have the evidence to back it up. Why did that guy wait until after the trial to come forward with what he allegedly say?

I remember hearing about two joggers (or maybe bicyclists) who never made it home in, on or around 9/11 and it was pretty much overlooked because of the WTC. I will have to do some research and try to find it.

Sneha has been certified as a 9/11 victim- she's back on the list.
Missing doctor certified as 9/11 victim

BY ETHAN ROUEN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, July 10th 2008, 11:48 PM

A doctor who disappeared the day before the Sept. 11 attacks has been added to the list of those killed in the World Trade Center terror strike.

Dr. Sneha Philip, 31, will have her name read at this year's anniversary of the attacks after the city medical examiner concluded Thursday she was crushed in the rubble.

The medical examiner cited a January state appeals court decision that stated Philip, a resident at St. Vincent's Hospital Staten Island, was killed the day after she went missing.

Her family went to court to restore her name to the victim list - now 2,751 - after it was cut in 2004 because officials couldn't link her to the site.

"We waited and we waited, and everything came out right," said her father, Philip Philip. "Sadness is there all the time, but at last, you know, we are happy that they recognized that Sneha was a victim of 9/11."

I heard the churchbells going off around the City this morning to mark when the first plane hit. I cannot believe it has been seven years. I just can't believe it.

I moved to the South recently... and it's different. In my old town, there's actually a memorial with a fountain and everything (there were many deaths). Here it's like nothing happened. Just bizarre.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back