Settlement in Rebecca Zahau Civil Case

Jessica2012

Reaction score
The man who became the focus of the civil trial, Adam Shacknai, brother of Zahau’s then-boyfriend Jonah Shacknai , said outside court that his insurance company “did an end-around” on him, and said the settlement was for far less — “a pittance” — than the $5.1 million jury award.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/forums/rebecca-zahau-nalepa.456/create-thread

Almost eight years after the shocking death of a woman found hanging from a Coronado mansion balcony, NBC 7 has learned the civil case has been dismissed.

Very few people knew about the settlement revealed Wednesday, including Adam Shacknai, the man found responsible for Rebecca Zahau's death.

Shacknai was outraged that the insurance company covering his legal exposure settled with the Zahau family attorney, Kieth Greer, without his knowledge or involvement.

Shacknai called the judge incompetent for allowing the settlement to be reached without any comments from himself or his attorney.
He called Greer a "sleezeball."

“I took a lot of advice that I regret taking as far as not speaking out,” Shacknai said.

The Zahaus knew they could never survive an appeal. This was always about money for them. They will never pursue a criminal case because they know they invented their story and it would never survive a criminal court. JMO

The man who became the focus of the civil trial, Adam Shacknai, brother of Zahau’s then-boyfriend Jonah Shacknai , said outside court that his insurance company “did an end-around” on him, and said the settlement was for far less — “a pittance” — than the $5.1 million jury award.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/forums/rebecca-zahau-nalepa.456/create-thread

Almost eight years after the shocking death of a woman found hanging from a Coronado mansion balcony, NBC 7 has learned the civil case has been dismissed.

Very few people knew about the settlement revealed Wednesday, including Adam Shacknai, the man found responsible for Rebecca Zahau's death.

Shacknai was outraged that the insurance company covering his legal exposure settled with the Zahau family attorney, Kieth Greer, without his knowledge or involvement.

Shacknai called the judge incompetent for allowing the settlement to be reached without any comments from himself or his attorney.
He called Greer a "sleezeball."

“I took a lot of advice that I regret taking as far as not speaking out,” Shacknai said.

The Zahaus knew they could never survive an appeal. This was always about money for them. They will never pursue a criminal case because they know they invented their story and it would never survive a criminal court. JMO

The Zahaus had already won an appeal, just recently. Judge Bacal refused to re-open the case after Adam's attorneys appealed. That's probably why Adam's insurance company decided to negotiate a settlement with the Zahau family, because they knew the verdict in the civil case would stand.

Judge declines new trial over 2011 death of Rebecca Zahau

<modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
The Zahaus had already won an appeal, just recently. Judge Bacal refused to re-open the case after Adam's attorneys appealed. That's probably why Adam's insurance company decided to negotiate a settlement with the Zahau family, because they knew the verdict in the civil case would stand.

Judge declines new trial over 2011 death of Rebecca Zahau

JMO, I think you need to change the title of this thread. It's inaccurate.

You are not correct. The arguments for appeal were slated for today. They did not happen because the Zahaus took the money and ran.

You are not correct. The arguments for appeal were slated for today. They did not happen because the Zahaus took the money and ran.

Adam and his attorneys had already lost when they requested a new trial in the case. She ruled against him and left standing the verdict against him. His insurance company offered the settlement because they knew he would probably also lose his request to appeal the original verdict. He was running out of options.

The Zahaus had refused a financial settlement from Jonah Shacknai some years ago, because they wanted answers about Rebecca's death. They are still seeking justice for Rebecca. Their next step is to appeal to the San Diego County ME.

<modsnipped>

No, the hearing was suppose to be over a week ago, but Judge Bacall postponed it until TODAY. That is covered in all of the news reports you and I have posted and is available here as well:

Civil - Tentative Rulings

Case# 2013-00075418

No Shacknai ever offered the Zahaus a settlement. In fact, in court management papers, the Shacknais and Nina Romano indicated that would NOT settle, while the Zahaus indicated they WOULD.

The Medical Examincer will never lie for the Zahaus like Keith Greer has done for years. The Medical Examier that examined her body after her death stately clearly that he had no doubt it was a suicide.

<modsnipped bickering>

Adam settled. He paid millions to Zahau. There was a non disclosure gag order. That means he murdered Rebecca but Zahaus cant talk about it.

No, Adam Shacknai did not settle. In fact, the Zahaus got very little from the insurance settlement. Probably not much more than the 100k they took from Nina Roman’s insurance company - when they knew she had done nothing wrong.

In my opinion, that is what the Zahaus wished had happened.

IMO, they are still trying to extort money from Adam’s brother by their threats to have the ME change the death certificate. That will never happen, but the posturing revels their intentions to me. It has been and will be about money for them and Greer.

Jonah Shacknai will never pay them a thing. He made that perfectly clear in his Dateline interview.

Last edited:
No, Adam Shacknai did not settle. In fact, the Zahaus got very little from the insurance settlement. Probably not much more than the 100k they took from Nina Roman’s insurance company - when they knew she had done nothing wrong.
Wrong......The settlement was for $600K.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back