Found Deceased Shane White, 39 Nest Lake kayaker, from Overland Park KS. May 11, 2024

Tbone144

Reaction score
I grew up in this area so it’s been hitting my local feeds. I don’t think this will be a good outcome, his kayak has been found but not him. I fear he decided to go out to get a better view of Northern Lights, not sure why else one would go kayaking at 11:30pm.

This is from the local Sheriff’s department page.

On May 12, 2024 at 10:37 a.m. the Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office responded to the report of an overdue kayaker on Nest Lake in northern Kandiyohi County. Deputies learned that on Saturday evening at approximately 11:30 p.m. a 39 year old man from Overland Park, Kansas had left alone in a kayak from his vacation rental on the south side of Nest Lake and has since failed to return. An open water and shoreline search began shortly after deputies arrived and the missing kayak was located by deputies at 1:15 p.m. The search for the missing male is ongoing. The Sheriff’s Office is being assisted by the MN DNR, the Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad, New London Fire Department, New London Ambulance, Spicer Fire Department, Spicer First Responders, Sunburg Fire Department, the MN State Patrol and the Kandiyohi County Water Rescue and Recovery Team.

*****UPDATE*****

Identity of Missing Kayaker Released

As the open water and land search continues for the missing kayaker on Nest Lake in northern Kandiyohi County the Sheriff's Office is again requesting that property owners in the vicinity check shorelines and outbuildings for the missing man identified as Shane White, 39 of Overland Park, Kansas. Shane is described as 6'2", 230 lbs and is wearing black shorts and a black t-shirt. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office at 320-235-1260.

I saw this on TikTok as well however it seemed he was a cable lineman ( working high up) and then went missing. I couldn't understand it. Then I saw comments about a kayak, I'm thinking "What?" I now understand the actual sad situation. Praying for him and his family. All IMO

Sat. May 11 @ 11:30 pm
-left by himself in a kayak from his vacation rental on the south side of Nest Lake.
Sun. May 12 @ 10:37 am
-Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office responded to the report of the missing kayaker
Sun. May 12 @ 1:15pm
-the missing kayak was found

Authorities are asking property owners in the area to check shorelines and buildings. Anyone with information should call the Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office at 320-235-1260.

KANDIYOHI COUNTY, Minn. (KCTV) - The wife of an Overland Park man who went missing while kayaking at a Minnesota lake said her husband’s body was found.

Shane White, a 39-year-old from Overland Park, Kan., was identified by the Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office as the missing kayaker as an open water and land search continues on Nest Lake in the northern part of the county.

*****UPDATE*****

Search for Missing Kayaker

On May 14, 2024 at 8:57 a.m. divers with the Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office recovered a body of an adult male on the SW side of Nest Lake. The body was located approximately 264 yards from shore in 11 feet of water and will be transported to the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office in Anoka for positive identification and autopsy. The ongoing investigation is being conducted by the Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office and the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office was assisted by New London Fire and Ambulance, Spicer Fire and First Responders, Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad, Kandiyohi County Emergency Management, Willmar Police Department, MN Department of Natural Resources, Stearns County Sheriff’s Office, Kandiyohi County Water Rescue and Recovery Team, MN State Patrol, and North Star Search and Rescue.

The Sheriff’s Office would like to thank the dozens of Fire and EMS volunteers who participated in the search, the community members who checked their property and provided us with information, and the Nest Lake Property Owners Association and O’Neil’s of Spicer for their generous donation of meals during the search.

Sheriff Eric Tollefson

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15
Back