Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brings me to ... in looking at JB's house, it appears at the back of the property that one could drive up a slight embankment right onto OB Road, thereby bypassing the gate.

Going through the gate should get you from Ocean Parkway onto Oak Beach Road, so being on Oak Beach Road should mean you're inside the gates - or so I thought. I'm pretty confused about the gate; when looking at a Google map, I had thought I'd see the gate station in the upper right corner of the development, i.e. where Anchor Way meets Oak Beach Road. I see the rounded area where I thought the gate was, but I'm not even seeing an access road to Ocean Parkway there...help!

Going through the gate should get you from Ocean Parkway onto Oak Beach Road, so being on Oak Beach Road should mean you're inside the gates - or so I thought. I'm pretty confused about the gate; when looking at a Google map, I had thought I'd see the gate station in the upper right corner of the development, i.e. where Anchor Way meets Oak Beach Road. I see the rounded area where I thought the gate was, but I'm not even seeing an access road to Ocean Parkway there...help!

The gate is not off Ocean Parkway onto Oak Beach Rd ... the gate is where that circular area is at the end of Oak Beach Rd right beside Coletti's house, at the intersection of Oak Beach Rd and Anchor Way. There is definitely a gate house right in the middle of that circular area just outside the gate.

The access from Ocean Parkway onto Oak Beach Rd is further west (i.e. left of JB's house and around where the old OB Inn parking lot is)

Go to bing.com/maps, select "Search for locations only" and put in Larboard Court, Long Island, NY (that one always works best for me) ... then choose Birds Eye view and enlarge it ... it is very clear there.

HTH

The area of Oak Beach east of the old OBI parking lot is the OIBA and can only be entered and exited from the gate at the far eastern end of Oak Beach rd. The area west of the old OBI parking lot has no gates.
The entrance to Oak Beach off the Ocean Parkway is right at the old OBI parking lot.

The area of Oak Beach east of the old OBI parking lot is the OIBA and can only be entered and exited from the gate at the far eastern end of Oak Beach rd.

Sorry to be dense on this, but what's OIBA? And what stops someone from entering (by car) the western side of OB and then driving east on Oak Beach Road (along the old OBI) and then into the eastern part of OB?

Oak Beach rd. is the main road east and west, parallel to the ocean parkway,and runs from one end of Oak Beach to the other. At the far east end, there's a gate the allows entry to the Oak Island Beach Association(OIBA),which is the area where JB, GC, CPH live and SG and MP visited. Driving west on Oak Beach rd. brings you to an area of homes with no gate for access, more like a regular neighborhood. A look at a map of the area with this info should clear up your questions.
It's called OIBA because back when it was formed, the homes in it were on Oak Island and you had to come by ferry from Babylon. Since then, the inlet has moved and a few bridges have been built.
http://oakbeachcivicassociation.com/about/history

A look at a map of the area with this info should clear up your questions.

FWIW, I'd been staring at that map for awhile before I asked.

IMO, there are several places where one could drive out in an SUV, all wheel drive or 4X4...onto OB road and from Bing and Google Images there even appear to be tire tracks...especially on the West End of the OIBA.

IMO, there are several places where one could drive out in an SUV, all wheel drive or 4X4...onto OB road and from Bing and Google Images there even appear to be tire tracks...especially on the West End of the OIBA.

There are about seven houses backed up to Oak Beach rd., and none of them have a place where you could drive through, unless you had one very heavy duty 4wd and didn't care about wrecking it. It is a brush barrier similar to the side of the Ocean Parkway.

I've lived out here for decades, and been on every marsh talked about in these forums and then some. All the junk that collects over time, at the next high water/wind event, hurricane, nor'easter whatever, ends up in the same spot. Downwind from where it started and right where it ran out of water, or ran up against reeds or bushes taller than the water is deep. The sun eats a throw blanket a year from the top of any sofa or chair by a south window without help from exposure to rain etc.

Thanks. Test it anyway; it costs nothing but 18 months and you have nothing to lose. Just take a few like items and place 157 feet from Ocean Parkway near where SG was found, set timer, wait, return, observe.

I always regarded the discovery of her earring on JB's porch as more solid evidence that SG was not a victim of the LISK.

Our SK is a mastermind at covering his tracks. He takes great pride in his ability to attend to every minor detail (including the accountability of even the tiniest piece of jewelry like an earring). It simply is not his signature to overlook such an obvious clue.

The earring on the porch also suggests that JB had no clue that SG died that early morning. It shows a complete lack of regard on his part (in other words, he had nothing to hide and no reason to sweep his residence clean of evidence).

I think the earring fell off near the porch when SG fell down the steps after running out the front door. That may or may not be where she lost her jacket, too.

I'm sorry Adler, but the point is really that someone was sure of what they thought by looking at a picture, and they were wrong.

You're right. I was outta line. I just wanted to use "moot" in a sentence once, and "point" in the same twice.

You're right. I was outta line. I just wanted to use "moot" in a sentence once, and "point" in the same twice.

C'mon Adler ... it's against TOS to point at people's moots :floorlaugh:

there is also a visible cutout in the brush where the western most G4 was....
I think this has massive potential...

Well if that isn't the riddle of the day! WTF have to find out... think little spider brain think...

Regarding your wtf photo, have you located another 1994 USGS image like that anywhere? Are they to be at some intervals away from the two points in the wtf photo? Are you sure those are graticule intersection and datum shift displacement symbols. It seems to me the symbol for an "unmonumented" location, which can be something as small as a stake in the ground, at least on provisional maps, is identical to the unbroken cross of the graticule intersection. See symbols here and footnotes:

http://nyfalls.com/maps-topo-key.html

Finally, are these two marks on the 1994 aerial map indeed the location where the gb-4?

Next: Map Reading and Symbols 101

C'mon Adler ... it's against TOS to point at people's moots :floorlaugh:

lol.

Check out the shades and the Phillips 66 station in my first map reading and map symbols online self-directed course!

[video=youtube;yg3_HeJH8HU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg3_HeJH8HU[/video]

LOL. Okay, where can I get a pair of those shades?

What about sexual networking sites such as AFF and the like? Has the SCPD looked into those types of "networking sites"?

What about sexual networking sites such as AFF..

I just went to check out that site (ewwwwww!) to do a search for my POI (who had registered on dating sites), and apparently you have to be a member to do a search. Again, eww.

I just went to check out that site (ewwwwww!) to do a search for my POI (who had registered on dating sites), and apparently you have to be a member to do a search. Again, eww.

I'm just saying... It's those kind of networking sites that would be the perfect feeding ground for "Johns'.

Regarding your wtf photo, have you located another 1994 USGS image like that anywhere? Are they to be at some intervals away from the two points in the wtf photo? Are you sure those are graticule intersection and datum shift displacement symbols. It seems to me the symbol for an "unmonumented" location, which can be something as small as a stake in the ground, at least on provisional maps, is identical to the unbroken cross of the graticule intersection. See symbols here and footnotes:

http://nyfalls.com/maps-topo-key.html

Finally, are these two marks on the 1994 aerial map indeed the location where the gb-4?

Next: Map Reading and Symbols 101

I found a little discussion about these symbols and I wonder if the posters at geocaching might clarify what you are seeing?

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=25352

I found a little discussion about these symbols and I wonder if the posters at geocaching might clarify what you are seeing?

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=25352

Thank you for posting that link. Did you see Black Dog Tracker's rec on purging (those) files? If I were LE, I'd start looking for those unmomumented, datum shift displacement, etc. symbols on the USGS 1994 maps dated early April and late April, and I'd go out there to see if there were any more bodies stashed at those locations, especially if they are in the LI area.

I could not find any more of like symbols, but I don't have the time to really be doing this. I did notice though that if one clicks between the early April 1994 and later April 1994 at the site in question, you can see an equidistant spot beyond where the two central points of our mysterious symbols intersect in a line, let's say, what Truthspider might read as a manmade dug up spot, bright white, just inside where the brush starts. In one photo it's there, in the other it's not. Quite startling.

FredandEdna, do you know who planted the trees in GB-4 site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member