Shannan Gilbert's 23 Minute 911 Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
The court has instructed the New York State Suffolk County Police Dept to release the 23 minute phone call between Shannon Gilbert and the 911 operator by March 31, 2020. Where can I find this call ? Thank you.

A company?! FBI wants those tapes and will enhance them.
The FBI as a law enforcement agency, likely had access to those tapes years ago if they wanted. Likewise if the SCPD were actively investigating the case, would/should have had the tapes enhanced.

Is it possible they did have the tapes enhanced, and because that wouldn't technically count as the "original" tapes, as Ray requested, the enhanced versions weren't handed over?

The FBI as a law enforcement agency, likely had access to those tapes years ago if they wanted. Likewise if the SCPD were actively investigating the case, would/should have had the tapes enhanced.

Years ago it was not considered a "criminal investigation" . Ray said under the new regime in Suffolk that it is now being investigated as a criminal matter. Lots of smoke to look through but it is an important distinction.

What's most significant in this interview is that:
  • He says the letter penned in 2012 regarding what the ME and Homicide Detectives heard on the tapes is "not true"
  • He says that the ME statement on what was said on the tapes was influenced by 3 homicide detectives (in other words, Burke Goonies)
  • The SCPD was subpoenaed to do voice analysis on the tapes, it wasn't done
I'd like that ME on the LISK Podcast, it would be interesting to hear what kind of influence or pressure she was under when the 3 DTs spoke with her.

If anyone can find the letter in 2012 Ray is referencing that would be of value to this community as well.

I think the FBI didn’t get the tapes. I’m pretty sure they played keep away from the FBI, too. If they did they would have done something. Well, they did do something.

I’m pretty sure, from my understanding, it was because they weren’t getting any information or evidence to assist with the case—one of those things being the 911 call.

Thankfully the tapes still exist because A LOT could’ve happened to them over the past ten years.

Valid point and we'd be jumping to conclusions as well to say that nothing did happen to them. Ray will have to have the tapes analyzed and enhanced, the biggest issue I have is that the call Shannan made, depending on who you speak to was 21 or 23 minutes. Thats not 7 or 8 seconds, that's a big difference. Why the varying accounts?

A lot can be said in 2 minutes.

The 911 tapes were released to the Attorney for Shannan’s estate John Ray. He’s not allowed to release any specific information that’s on the tapes to the public.

Ray did a presser yesterday, saying that a) the tapes are "utterly inconsistent" with what the public's been told thus far, b) no transcripts or enhancements were handed over despite a subpoena for them and c) logical conclusion is that the tapes aren't original.

Looks like Ray is gonna move to get these tapes out into the public.

Lawyer: Shannan Gilbert 911 tape different than what cops described

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

The letter "Detective" Vincent Stephan wrote can be seen here

Shannan's 23 Minute 911 Call

I am writing in response to "Gilbert's mom asks feds to step in" [News, Dec. 21], in which John Ray, the lawyer who represents Shannan Gilbert's family, strongly criticized Suffolk County police detectives investigating the Gilgo Beach murders. It is quite obvious that Ray has not listened to Gilbert's 911 call nor spoken to any investigators assigned to the case. His claims are misleading and lack credibility. I have been a member of the department's homicide squad for 17 years and worked on the Gilgo investigation in its first three months.

I listened to Gilbert's 22-minute 911 call. The 911 operator tried several times to get Gilbert's location. At one point, she mentioned she was near Jones Beach. Gilbert never said she was at Oak Beach. It is hard to respond to a call when the person calling doesn't know where he or she is.

In the house at Oak Beach, Gilbert was not about to be murdered. Her demeanor on the tape was calm. You can hear male voices on the tape, and they are calm. At no time during this call was she desperate. From what I heard on the call, Gilbert was not speaking as if she were in danger. Despite this, she decided to run from the house and her driver, whom she relied on to take her back to New Jersey. During the investigation, I interviewed an individual who drove Gilbert to her "dates" in the past. He said she would leave houses and apartments in the same fashion as she did in Oak Beach. He described her as being a paranoid person and at times acting irrationally.

As we all know by now, Gilbert ran to another house seeking assistance. She was let into the house. When the gentleman in the house said he was going to call the police, she ran into the reeds across the street. I also interviewed this gentleman. Finally, she knocked on another door, but again ran away before the woman who lived there could find out what was going on.

Suffolk County has not turned down offers of help from the FBI. The FBI has provided a psychological profile of the offender and coordinated the use of a Blackhawk military helicopter to conduct an aerial search of the Ocean Parkway area, using classified equipment. In addition to the FBI, 12 other law enforcement agencies have assisted the homicide squad.

The detectives assigned to the homicide squad are some of the most dedicated and knowledgeable in Suffolk County. The units that support this squad -- such as the identification section, computer crimes section, criminal intelligence section and the crime lab -- are also the best in their respective fields.

Detectives have traveled to the hometowns of each victim many times to meet with the families, and to several states as part of the investigation. For most of 2011, the detectives assigned have set aside their personal lives, working long hours for weeks at a time. For Ray to insinuate that the homicide squad has given this case less than its full attention because of the victim's lifestyle is grossly inaccurate.

Det. Vincent Stephan, West Sayville

Editor's note: The writer is the secretary-treasurer of the Suffolk Detectives Association.

The letter "Detective" Vincent Stephan wrote can be seen here

Shannan's 23 Minute 911 Call

I am writing in response to "Gilbert's mom asks feds to step in" [News, Dec. 21], in which John Ray, the lawyer who represents Shannan Gilbert's family, strongly criticized Suffolk County police detectives investigating the Gilgo Beach murders. It is quite obvious that Ray has not listened to Gilbert's 911 call nor spoken to any investigators assigned to the case. His claims are misleading and lack credibility. I have been a member of the department's homicide squad for 17 years and worked on the Gilgo investigation in its first three months.

I listened to Gilbert's 22-minute 911 call. The 911 operator tried several times to get Gilbert's location. At one point, she mentioned she was near Jones Beach. Gilbert never said she was at Oak Beach. It is hard to respond to a call when the person calling doesn't know where he or she is.

In the house at Oak Beach, Gilbert was not about to be murdered. Her demeanor on the tape was calm. You can hear male voices on the tape, and they are calm. At no time during this call was she desperate. From what I heard on the call, Gilbert was not speaking as if she were in danger. Despite this, she decided to run from the house and her driver, whom she relied on to take her back to New Jersey. During the investigation, I interviewed an individual who drove Gilbert to her "dates" in the past. He said she would leave houses and apartments in the same fashion as she did in Oak Beach. He described her as being a paranoid person and at times acting irrationally.

As we all know by now, Gilbert ran to another house seeking assistance. She was let into the house. When the gentleman in the house said he was going to call the police, she ran into the reeds across the street. I also interviewed this gentleman. Finally, she knocked on another door, but again ran away before the woman who lived there could find out what was going on.

Suffolk County has not turned down offers of help from the FBI. The FBI has provided a psychological profile of the offender and coordinated the use of a Blackhawk military helicopter to conduct an aerial search of the Ocean Parkway area, using classified equipment. In addition to the FBI, 12 other law enforcement agencies have assisted the homicide squad.

The detectives assigned to the homicide squad are some of the most dedicated and knowledgeable in Suffolk County. The units that support this squad -- such as the identification section, computer crimes section, criminal intelligence section and the crime lab -- are also the best in their respective fields.

Detectives have traveled to the hometowns of each victim many times to meet with the families, and to several states as part of the investigation. For most of 2011, the detectives assigned have set aside their personal lives, working long hours for weeks at a time. For Ray to insinuate that the homicide squad has given this case less than its full attention because of the victim's lifestyle is grossly inaccurate.

Det. Vincent Stephan, West Sayville

Editor's note: The writer is the secretary-treasurer of the Suffolk Detectives Association.

Thanks for posting this @fred&edna

I know that Loeb was asked to be on that podcast and he turned it down cold.

I know that cops tipped to Loeb about said 911 call. Along the way, after Chris won his money, cops came out of the wood work to tip to him. YOu have not seen Loeb on any tv show or podcast. He's kept his mouth shut, except a small video that was posted on this site.

His intel, is going to blow the lid off this case. C ya

I know that Loeb was asked to be on that podcast and he turned it down cold.

I know that cops tipped to Loeb about said 911 call. Along the way, after Chris won his money, cops came out of the wood work to tip to him. YOu have not seen Loeb on any tv show or podcast. He's kept his mouth shut, except a small video that was posted on this site.

His intel, is going to blow the lid off this case. C ya

Loeb has been posting self-published videos to YouTube, including one a week ago about the 911 call:

Loeb shares the opinion with you that John Ray is nothing more then theatrics. According to Loeb, arrests were supposed to be made in 2015 and Clinton told the feds to back off.

I'm taking it with a grain a salt. Let's hear Loeb actually elaborate on this.

Loeb has been posting self-published videos to YouTube, including one a week ago about the 911 call:

Loeb shares the opinion with you that John Ray is nothing more then theatrics. According to Loeb, arrests were supposed to be made in 2015 and Clinton told the feds to back off.

I'm taking it with a grain a salt. Let's hear Loeb actually elaborate on this.

It actually hit me hard today that Spota is going a one way road to die in prison. When he goes in, he's only going to leave in a coffin to be put 6 feet under.
When you think about it, Spota is going to prison to die.

YOu have not seen Loeb on any tv show or podcast. He's kept his mouth shut, except a small video that was posted on this site.
Only about a thousand views, and posted a week ago, but 17+ minutes of Loeb trying to get his thoughts together. Here's a guy who, like most people, had some issues of his own already - and then runs into a thuggish police department out for revenge. Very nice.

Does anyone have a direct link to the 911 tapes? I couldnt find them on the podcast. Im beyond curious on how Shannan sounds, considering they think she was having a mental episode. I am getting really into this case and all of its details, I just want to have an opinion on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993