Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the novel, and have some personal familiarity with the Lyon case. I think the author would have been wise to set it in a different year, a different season, and perhaps outside of Maryland. But I don't think it resembles the facts of the Lyon case much at all. No one in the novel remotely reminded me of any counterpart in the case. It is not great fiction, but few paperback mysteries. I don't think the author was exploiting the situation; if so, she would have written it 30 years earlier. I don't think the Lyons were the least bit affected by it. They have dealt with far greater indignities and insensitivity.

I have to agree with Thrasher on this. I've read the book and, while I wish Lippman could have changed a few more minor details to deflect comparisons, the plot of the book bears almost no resemblence to the Lyon family's story. It uses the basic idea of two girls disappearing from a mall as a jumping off point, but the story is mostly focused on the present and the psychological/emotional effect the children's disappearance had on those involved. It's only nominally even a mystery.

I doubt the book has had much effect on the Lyon family, except perhaps to generate some renewed interest in the girls' disappearance, which is a good thing. I always hope that one of these days someone will come forward with a new piece of information that makes the difference. That has a better chance of happening if the public is occasionally reminded that the case is still unsolved.

Next Wednesday, March 25, will mark the 34th anniversary of the girls' disappearance. Please remember them and the family in the way you think appropriate, and continue to hope this story has an end.

Montgomery County Police stated in 1987 that they believed Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. to be the strongest Person of Interest ever considered as a possible suspect in the Lyon Sisters' case.

It should be noted that his resemblence to the Tape Recorder Man Sketch, however strong, was not considered compelling enough evidence on its own to charge him. At the time, he was being tried in North Carolina for the murder of 10 year-old Amanda Ray, and North Carolina authorities - and Coffey's lawyers objected to MCP even questioning him.

There are discrepancies in the initial description of Tape Recorder Man and Coffey's description. Besides the age (50 vs 30), the height was given as "about 6 feet tall", whereas Coffey stands only 5 feet, 8 or 9 inches tall. It is not known if Coffey's photo - or any other photos - were shown to the witnesses who claimed to have seen Tape Recorder Man.

It should be pointed out that a "side by side" comparison of the Sketch and a photo of Coffey (or any other potential suspect) on the internet could be considered legal grounds to disallow any future witness identification of the suspect in court.

MCP seems to have dropped their interest in Tape Recorder Man about a month into the investigation, making official press statements which indicated that the man "might have been there for legitimate purposes", or "might not have been connected with their disappearance", etc. They never released either sketch after April 1975.
Coffey has since gotten off Death Row following legal appeals by a lawyer who has made his living and reputation in Death Row case appeals. That lawyer (mentioned previously in this thread) would almost certainly object to MCP questioning Fred today - for more or less obvious reasons.

Mention of Coffey's birthday being close to the disappearance date has been noted. In fact, there are two other persons of interest whose 30th birthdays were within a few days of the girls' disappearance as well. It is perhaps nothing more than a coincidence, but a very interesting one all the same.

Coffey was, in 1975, in a major transition point in his life. He had been in the Navy since age 17 (1962). Although he had only gone to school through 8th grade, he had made a promising career in the Navy and had attained the rank of First Class Petty Officer (E-6). Suddenly in 1974, he gets out with an honorable discharge - about the same time that he is charged (and convicted) for the first time of child molestation in Virginia. Coffey came from the Norfolk, VA area to the Metropolitan Washington, DC area to seek work as a Department of Defense Contractor. He applied for a computer programmer position with Vitro Laboratories on 1 April 1975, and began work with them later that month. He resigned suddenly on 31 July 1975, telling his employer that his wife and daughter had been involved in a serious auto accident. He used the same excuse later when leaving another employer. Investigation proved that he had lied both times about the accident.

Back to the subject of "coincidences", April first was only a week after the Lyon Sisters disappeared, and July 31st was only a week after Kathy Beatty was abducted, raped, beatten, and left for dead in a ditch.

Bolded by me for reference.

Why do we have a whole thread devoted to someone that MCPD dropped interest in so early?
TRM has been the main focus of much of this discussion here. In re-reading, I notice this comment buried in info about Coffey.
Did LE really lose interest, or do you think they wanted the public to believe they lost interest??
In reading that they never released the sketch after april 1975 it certainly seems that they DID lose interest. Yet somehow the conversation always comes back to TRM. :confused:

Bolded by me for reference.

Why do we have a whole thread devoted to someone that MCPD dropped interest in so early?
TRM has been the main focus of much of this discussion here. In re-reading, I notice this comment buried in info about Coffey.
Did LE really lose interest, or do you think they wanted the public to believe they lost interest??
In reading that they never released the sketch after april 1975 it certainly seems that they DID lose interest. Yet somehow the conversation always comes back to TRM. :confused:
Well, I think it does seem like they lost interest.I think we have to start looking at other theories to avoid hitting the same brick wall. These girls deserve our best efforts and that means looking at every possibility.What else can we possibly say about TRM? We've picked him apart,so lets keep moving forward.:)

Well, I think it does seem like they lost interest.I think we have to start looking at other theories to avoid hitting the same brick wall. These girls deserve our best efforts and that means looking at every possibility.What else can we possibly say about TRM? We've picked him apart,so lets keep moving forward.:)
What is your theory of the crime sans TRM?

I think the girls were taken by someone that they knew while walking home that day. I think they were offered a ride by someone they knew and got in the vehicle without a struggle as there was no need for one.

Do you have a "minus TRM" theory?
I don't, no. I am not sold on the fact that TRM was Coffey. I am not sold on the fact that it was even TRM. It could very well be someone else. But frankly, if it wasn't TRM, all I've got are off-the-wall scenarios.

I think the bound girls in the car is worth pursuing. How do you misinterpret seeing something like that?

Of course, all this tells us is that the perp can drive. And presumably wasn't going too far to let hundreds of witnesses see in the back of the car.

I don't, no. I am not sold on the fact that TRM was Coffey. I am not sold on the fact that it was even TRM. It could very well be someone else. But frankly, if it wasn't TRM, all I've got are off-the-wall scenarios.
Hmmmmmmmm,such as????

I think the bound girls in the car is worth pursuing. How do you misinterpret seeing something like that?

Of course, all this tells us is that the perp can drive. And presumably wasn't going too far to let hundreds of witnesses see in the back of the car.
Well, it sure can't hurt.:)

Just a few things in response to all that has been written in the past week:

1. John Lyon, and the family, were subject to intense police scrutiny from Day 1. This is routine. They found nothing, and no one who had a grudge against him, and no one he knew, or the girls knew, who disappeared after 3/25/75. Some people were suspicious of him because he didn't behave the way they thought he should. Having known him personally for about 17 years, I know that he is incapable of cruetly to anyone, let alone his own children. In other missing children cases, though, I would suspect the parents immediately.

2. I once asked him directly if he thought Coffey was involved. He did not answer directly but I took his response as being doubtful.

3. Jay Lyon, the girls' brother, has been a detective with Montgomery County Police for more than twenty years. He has worked abused children and sexual offender cases. He has seen it all, and is certainly privy to any police activity on this case. I think it is safe to say that the police are not sitting on any leads that could have promise, and, even if they were inclined to neglect evidence, Jay would pursue it.

4. There is nowhere near enough evidence to arrest or indict Coffey. If there were, it would have happened. The reasons he remains a prime suspect is that he fits all the facts; he has never established his whereabouts in March 1975, his circumstantial ties to the Kathy Beatty case, and he is known to have abducted children from shopping centers.
As long as he is in custody in North Carolina, he doesn't have to say anything.

I am re-reading through a lot of posts and hoping thrasher will come back to answer some questions I have.

1-regarding point #1 above, i haven't read any article that said the Lyon family was the focus of the investigation and I haven't heard anything about Mr. Lyon's behavior being suspect. What behaviors did people find suspicious in Mr. Lyon? And who were these 'people'? Was this the public, the media, or LE?
I am not suggesting the family had anything to do with this, I am trying to figure out how much time and attention were spent on this family and their associates. My fear is the initial investigation focused on them, while the perp left the area unnoticed.
I believe Mr. Lyon as a public figure could have an associate that could be involved with this crime. His circle of associates was so large with his job and his band everyone could not have been questioned.
Again no speculation at all that Mr. Lyon had anything to do with this. I've read interviews he's given and my heart breaks for this gentleman. The work he now does with victims is nothing short of heroic considering all he's been through. So please do not misinterpret my questions here.

2-Thrasher you have been valuable in providing insight into this family. Thank you. You noted in #1 above that you've known them for 17 years. Is that 17 years since the date of your post, or in 1975 you knew them for 17 years? I trust your perspectives on the family just trying to gage how well you knew them in 1975. And if your observations are retrospective, or they are observations from events as they occurred in 1975. Or a little of both. :)

And lastly just a comment regarding #4 above. You noted as long as Coffey is in custody in NC, he doesn't have to say anything. If Coffey is involved in either of these cases, it really doesn't matter if he is in custody in NC or free in MD, he doesn't have to say anything--ever. He has a fifth amendment right against self incrimination and is advised of such through the Miranda rights of 'you have the right to remain silent'. Just some thoughts, and an observation that no matter what circumstance Coffey may find himself in, I very much doubt he will talk.

Again Thrasher, thank you for your helpful and unique insight in this case. It aids in sorting through the very little bits of information we have. Hopefully you can clarify or expound on the info I listed above. It is greatly appreciated.

This seems like a good thread to sound off on this topic.

We have eight different threads that have seen activity since the beginning of May. The threads we have going in this forum are pretty specific: the ransom demand, TRM, other similar cases, other perpetrators who may be involved (Coffey, et. al.), etc.

It seems as though a lot of the threads have gone off on tangents that aren't necessarily related to the original topic. While threads certainly do organically move forward, it seems as though we're throwing out ideas in eight different threads that could just as well go into this one big discussion thread.

Going forward, it may be wise to keep the specific threads for specific, detailed posts on their topics and the general 'how about this...' posts to this thread. That way we aren't checking eight different threads for what basically is the same conversation as we hash over the details and consider what we do know.

We have eight different threads that have seen activity since the beginning of May. The threads we have going in this forum are pretty specific: the ransom demand, TRM, other similar cases, other perpetrators who may be involved (Coffey, et. al.), etc.

It seems as though a lot of the threads have gone off on tangents that aren't necessarily related to the original topic. While threads certainly do organically move forward, it seems as though we're throwing out ideas in eight different threads that could just as well go into this one big discussion thread.

Going forward, it may be wise to keep the specific threads for specific, detailed posts on their topics and the general 'how about this...' posts to this thread. That way we aren't checking eight different threads for what basically is the same conversation as we hash over the details and consider what we do know.

Thank you for posting.It's been too quiet lately.I was wondering where everyone went.You are right,the threads here are specific and that helps us seperate our thoughts and break down this case into different areas of discussion.However,if you are more comfortable posting on this thread only,that's ok.Your imput is valued and I always enjoy reading your posts.:)

Good Suggestion. It is hard to keep track of things, or go back and find things if they are posted on a thread that goes off topic. Brainstorming can sometimes take a thread around and back again, and sometimes that is necessary in a case where there is so little information.
How about if someone sees a thread going off topic they can post a gentle reminder that the thread is heading OT. It'll help keep us all on track and make things easier to go back and find later. It'll also help the topic of the thread stay at the forefront of that thread.

I have not been here in a while, and just saw questions that have been posed to me. I will try to answer.

1. I lived in the neighborhood in 1975, but did not know the Lyons personally then. Like many people, I was bombarded with publicity and rumors about the case, and was personally familiar with the places in question. I moved away from the area a few years later.

2. I moved back to the area in 1991, and met John Lyon shortly thereafter. I got to know him fairly well, and still see him often. I did talk to him candidly about the case on several occasions. I live just a few blocks away, and still see him regularly. My comments about his character are based on these last 18 years.

3. John presented a very positive face to the public at the time, and seemed too "cool" about it for some people's taste (people who did not know him). His behavior was partly because he was being strong for the family, but also because his attitude, even today, is to be as positive as possible and live life fully. When he went back on the air in 1975, people could not accept him being professional and even tempered on the air. Even today, in his public musical appearances, people will sometimes be surprised, even offended; how can he be so lighthearted and tell jokes after something like that. He does not see a need to act depressed and morose for public consumption. But I think he has suffered enormously, but he doesn't feel an obligation to act out public expectations. He (and the family) live life as they want, keep their thoughts to themselves, and continue to be an inspiration to many others, including crime victims that he works with, and admirers like me.

4. The background check at the time was incredibly thorough - every neighbor, identifiable friend, former employer, relative, etc., were interviewed. It remains the largest investigation in Montgomery County history. Although MCPS could probably not interview every person he knew, I doubt the police missed anyone who had a bearing on the case. This is routine - it was well-established that John was asleep at home at the time of the disappearance, and there was no evidence pointing to him or anyone in the family.

5. The reason there has been so much focus on TRM is that there has never been anything else to work with. Coffey is a good suspect for reasons I have stated earlier. The sightings on the presumed walk home, the alleged sighting in Manassas, the Mikelski story, and the others are not, I believe, credible, for reasons I have stated earlier. The reasonable theory is that they were abducted from Wheaton Plaza by someone who was a criminal mastermind, or just got very lucky. Although I think everyone should be alert to new clues and evidence, I think most of what is said is pure speculation that cannot be meaningfully pursued at 35 years remove. The best chance now is a deathbed confession, possibly a deal with Coffey, or some accidental discovery.

I have not been here in a while, and just saw questions that have been posed to me. I will try to answer.

1. I lived in the neighborhood in 1975, but did not know the Lyons personally then. Like many people, I was bombarded with publicity and rumors about the case, and was personally familiar with the places in question. I moved away from the area a few years later.

2. I moved back to the area in 1991, and met John Lyon shortly thereafter. I got to know him fairly well, and still see him often. I did talk to him candidly about the case on several occasions. I live just a few blocks away, and still see him regularly. My comments about his character are based on these last 18 years.

3. John presented a very positive face to the public at the time, and seemed too "cool" about it for some people's taste (people who did not know him). His behavior was partly because he was being strong for the family, but also because his attitude, even today, is to be as positive as possible and live life fully. When he went back on the air in 1975, people could not accept him being professional and even tempered on the air. Even today, in his public musical appearances, people will sometimes be surprised, even offended; how can he be so lighthearted and tell jokes after something like that. He does not see a need to act depressed and morose for public consumption. But I think he has suffered enormously, but he doesn't feel an obligation to act out public expectations. He (and the family) live life as they want, keep their thoughts to themselves, and continue to be an inspiration to many others, including crime victims that he works with, and admirers like me.

4. The background check at the time was incredibly thorough - every neighbor, identifiable friend, former employer, relative, etc., were interviewed. It remains the largest investigation in Montgomery County history. Although MCPS could probably not interview every person he knew, I doubt the police missed anyone who had a bearing on the case. This is routine - it was well-established that John was asleep at home at the time of the disappearance, and there was no evidence pointing to him or anyone in the family.

5. The reason there has been so much focus on TRM is that there has never been anything else to work with. Coffey is a good suspect for reasons I have stated earlier. The sightings on the presumed walk home, the alleged sighting in Manassas, the Mikelski story, and the others are not, I believe, credible, for reasons I have stated earlier. The reasonable theory is that they were abducted from Wheaton Plaza by someone who was a criminal mastermind, or just got very lucky. Although I think everyone should be alert to new clues and evidence, I think most of what is said is pure speculation that cannot be meaningfully pursued at 35 years remove. The best chance now is a deathbed confession, possibly a deal with Coffey, or some accidental discovery.

Thrasher it is nice to have your insight back in the forum. THank you for taking the time to answer my many questions. It puts perspective on a lot of things. I tend ask questions to a fault, and I appreciate your responses.

While it is possible that James A. Kowalski may have lived in the Kensington/Wheaton area at some time, I could not confirm that he lived on Jennings Road in Kensington. I looked in archived phone books dated 1972 through October 1975 and could not find his name listed at a Jennings Road address.

Richard: I have found the following information on James Kowalski Jr:

According to the book "Dance of Days", a retrospective on the punk rock scene in Washington DC; Mr. James Kowalski was in a band called "White Boy" along with his son and ran a record label out of his home in Northwest DC;

"The band produced, recorded, and then released its records on its own label "Doodley Squat" based in the Kowalski family's house in a quiet neighborhood in upper Northwest DC." (Dance of Days pg. 14.)
Anderson, Mark and Mark Jenkins. Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital .New York: Akashic, 2003. 12-14.

I have a copy of one of those records circa 1977 and the address on the sleeve is '405 Aspen Street N.W. Washington DC 20012'. Their first record came out in early 1977 and the last record I have seen on that label with the same address was from 1983. Do a quick search on google to see a number of pictures of James Kowalski a.k.a. "Mr. Ott" (his nom de punk) circa 1977. At the time he was a 37 year old printing executive for a company in Glenn Dale, Md -- where he met Stephen Leak-- the man accused of sexually molesting boys in a Hyattsville home he rented from Kowalski.

Interestingly, Wheaton Plaza is less than 10 miles away from and almost a straight shot up Georgia Avenue from the address listed on the "White Boy" records.
----------------------------------------
Further Reference:

P.G. Indictment Accuses Man of Abusing Boy, 11. The Washington Post.
(1993, August 11) Wednesday, Final Edition.Metro Section. B6.
Retrieved May 31, 2009, from LexisNexis Academic database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11