Sheriff refocuses Kyron investigation: a smaller task force will take over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the county fully expects a conclusion.

"We are going to try this case," Schrunk said. WOWWWWWW!!!!

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/multnomah_county_focuses_inves.html

And according to the article "...Terri Moulton Horman, Horman’s stepmother, remains the focus of the investigation." So, I take it nothing has changed in that regard.

Wow. I didn't know he'd said that. Holy Cow. That tells me right there that they probably have more than we know, and it's now it's organizing it all and getting their ducks in a row? Maybe this is a point where most tips have been investigated and there's not a need for so many people to keep working on it? I think this means things are closing in on Terri, not getting further away from her.

I just hope it doesn't result in getting her on a slap on the wrist charge. I hope there's enough to put her away for a long time.

This is significant. I really feel a whole lot better after seeing this quote.

Thanks for pointing this out.

But it isn't a quote from anyone, certainly not the DA or the Sheriff's office. It is an additional comment by the reporter inserting the case 'de facto' knowledge.

But it isn't a quote from anyone, certainly not the DA or the Sheriff's office. It is an additional comment by the reporter inserting the case 'de facto' knowledge.

There certainly is a quote in quotation marks from Schrunk. Unless you're talking about the conclusion comment? I think the actual quote hints at that anyway. You don't say you're going bring something to trial if you're not talking about some sort of resolution to a case.

Exactly. She puts that at the end of all her Kyron articles.

Horman disappeared June 4 from Skyline School during a morning science fair. No one has been arrested or even named a person of interest though Terri Moulton Horman, Horman’s stepmother, remains the focus of the investigation.

-- Lynne Terry

I'm once again reminded of the reporters' behavior in the neighbors yard.

There certainly is a quote in quotation marks from Schrunk. Unless you're talking about the conclusion comment? I think the actual quote hints at that anyway. You don't say you're going bring something to trial if you're not talking about some sort of resolution to a case.

I'm talking about the conclusion comment. There is no indication of a suspect in the rest of the article by the DA or the Sheriff's department. I can't draw the conclusion from Schrunk's comment to the last statement.

Sounds to me like there is a lot of "sketchy information" on the case and they need something more "clear cut"! Aside from the accusations by KH & DY as to Terri being the culprit, she has never been named a suspect or POI in this case as far as LE are concerned. Which makes me wonder....
Interesting that it is stated that there will be other cases stemming from this investigation! Which to me could mean investigations from possibly some of the tips called in about certain people that are out there, that LE has information about some criminal activity in the area?

Thanks. Good post. BBM. I have remained open-minded on this case and won't jump to any conclusions about Terri being the sole culprit of whatever has happened to Kyron. I have thought almost from the beginning of this case that there are elements in this story that elude us and that major pieces of the puzzle are missing. We will have to wait until all the bit & pieces of this saga come together, and we learn about all of the people who may be involved in whatever is really going on here. jmo

Thank you for highlighting the Schrunk quote. I was about to consign this case to the cold case file for a moment there because of the comments about the difficulty of the investigation and because they took people off the investigation leaving just a handful but if they're sure it's going to a trial then I suppose they have got some evidence and are expecting to have more. In four months or so?

I'd be more comfortable if he had specified WHICH case he was going to try, given that they also inferred there were many other cases in that 4000 page binder collection.

Oh well, it'll shake itself out.

Thank you for highlighting the Schrunk quote. I was about to consign this case to the cold case file for a moment there because of the comments about the difficulty of the investigation and because they took people off the investigation leaving just a handful but if they're sure it's going to a trial then I suppose they have got some evidence and are expecting to have more. In four months or so?

Right. They have to have something to bring to trial. It would be a waste of taxpayer's money if they went to trial with nothing. I have faith that they have most of what they need. About the only thing they don't have is Kyron. :(

"A number of investigations" sounds both promising and overwhelming. MFH, Kyron's disappearance, ______... ?

My guess is TH really knew what she was doing, and she was not alone in doing it. As always, the most important thing is to find Kyron. Everything will follow after that. Putting the pieces together sounds like a cumbersome task for the force.
In regards to what Staton said. He suggested that a number of other cases were likely to result from the investigation. The MFH could be another case resulting from the Kyron investigation.

But the county fully expects a conclusion.

"We are going to try this case," Schrunk said. WOWWWWWW!!!!

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/multnomah_county_focuses_inves.html

And according to the article "...Terri Moulton Horman, Horman’s stepmother, remains the focus of the investigation." So, I take it nothing has changed in that regard.

Trying a case, and solving a case are 2 different things, IMO, especially with this one.

We've been led to believe that Terri did something with Kyron, but we have Kaine and Desiree believing he is alive.

I'm not clear what case Schrunk is going to try. Kidnapping? Murder?

Well actually..."false identification documents" could apply here.

If Terri falsified documents to take Kyron to doctors pretending to be his biological mother.... it's a stretch...mainly because you don't have to show the kid's birth certificate to take them to the doctor to begin with.

But that may count as falsifying documents and if she didn't want anyone to know she was taking him, there might be a motivation to do it. :waitasec:

There also could be some sort of financial crime having to do with her payment to her attorney??

Why would she have to "pretend" to be his mother in order to take him to doctor appointments? A stepmother has that right, too, especially if the father has primary custody. I took my stepdaughter to all her appointments, and the doctor shared information with me as well. Doctors don't require that only the biological parents sign papers. Since Kyron's mother lived several hours away, it would have been terribly inconvenient if she were the only one who could take him to the doctor or sign medical forms, etc.

Exactly. The DA said that they were "going to bring this case to trial." That's a fairly standard statement from a DA's office with an ongoing case, especially one that's garnered so much attention. What else are they going to say--hey, we don't know if we'll go to trial on this case? Boy, that's a recipe for getting voted out of office!

Just usual quotes for publication. And they didn't say anything about "who". The reporter added their own "background" line saying --on their own say-so, not even using the venerable source family--that TH remains the focus.

And, hmmm...I remember that this was supposed to be an "isolated" case? I agree with MarieFaith--if I were a parent with a child at that school, I'd be a little worried now.

The "other cases" reference, given Portland's previously-reported problems with a lot of sex offenders/predators (along with Vancouver's), ties to child sex rings, etc. gives me the creeps. And I can't help but think about JW and his ties. And the sex offenders in families related to this case.

I also noted that awhile ago, LE was going to put a "new lenses" on this case. Now they're going to "refocus." If they're into those type of metaphors, I hope they're moving on to "expanding our vision." Ahem.

And, this quote is important: “What would actually make the case is evidence that is clearcut,” Staton said.

That's exactly what many of us have been saying for awhile now. That's why some of us are still on that fence.

Staton's quote also tells me that right now, they don't have any evidence that is "clearcut." Which is very very interesting. Sad, but interesting.

I'd be more comfortable if he had specified WHICH case he was going to try, given that they also inferred there were many other cases in that 4000 page binder collection.

Oh well, it'll shake itself out.

Your mileage may vary but according to my reading of the article it seems quite obvious that the multiple references to "the case" and "the investigation" in the article refer back to
The investigation into the disappearance of Kyron Horman
mentioned in the beginning of the article

But I hope that if they found out about any other serious crimes they are able to try those other cases as well.

Well actually..."false identification documents" could apply here.

If Terri falsified documents to take Kyron to doctors pretending to be his biological mother.... it's a stretch...mainly because you don't have to show the kid's birth certificate to take them to the doctor to begin with.

But that may count as falsifying documents and if she didn't want anyone to know she was taking him, there might be a motivation to do it. :waitasec:

There also could be some sort of financial crime having to do with her payment to her attorney??

Why did she tell the teacher Kyron was going to have a doctor's appointment if she didn't want anybody to know she was taking him?

Your mileage may vary but according to my reading of the article it seems quite obvious that the multiple references to "the case" and "the investigation" in the article refer back to mentioned in the beginning of the article

But I hope that if they found out about any other serious crimes they are able to try those other cases as well.

Even further, the quote says *this case* -- not those other cases that may be brought later. Couldn't be any clearer, imo.

I think the "other cases" simply refers to the MFH plot (different case from Kyron disappearing and perhaps violation of the RO (looking up/googling Kaine and baby K location). Also, if Terri is ever tried criminally regarding Kyron, there would be things like kidnapping, parental interference if he is still living and murder or manslaughter if he is not. If you think about it, this thing has become a muddy mess of potential criminal charges. And then if there are accomplices those would be additional criminal charges/cases against those individuals.

What I mostly got from the staement is that after all this time, they are still nowhere and this statement is a nice way of letting us all down gently that the case, while not going on the back burner, is goign to be getting a lot less man hours and investigative manpower in future.

I hope my interpretation is wrong, but I really don't think it is.

What I found interesting is Staton said "cases" not "charges" (*if* we trust the reporter, that is).

Exactly. The DA said that they were "going to bring this case to trial." That's a fairly standard statement from a DA's office with an ongoing case, especially one that's garnered so much attention. What else are they going to say--hey, we don't know if we'll go to trial on this case? Boy, that's a recipe for getting voted out of office!

Just usual quotes for publication. And they didn't say anything about "who". The reporter added their own "background" line saying --on their own say-so, not even using the venerable source family--that TH remains the focus.

And, hmmm...I remember that this was supposed to be an "isolated" case? I agree with MarieFaith--if I were a parent with a child at that school, I'd be a little worried now.

The "other cases" reference, given Portland's previously-reported problems with a lot of sex offenders/predators (along with Vancouver's), ties to child sex rings, etc. gives me the creeps. And I can't help but think about JW and his ties. And the sex offenders in families related to this case.

I also noted that awhile ago, LE was going to put a "new lenses" on this case. Now they're going to "refocus." If they're into those type of metaphors, I hope they're moving on to "expanding our vision." Ahem.

And, this quote is important: “What would actually make the case is evidence that is clearcut,” Staton said.

That's exactly what many of us have been saying for awhile now. That's why some of us are still on that fence.

Staton's quote also tells me that right now, they don't have any evidence that is "clearcut." Which is very very interesting. Sad, but interesting.

Great post Kat010. Thanks for putting it here so clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa