SIDEBAR #6- Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
In watching one of the interviews with a Jury member, am I correct in what I think I hear? He says something to the effect of "When we heard there was a mistrial, we were devastated"

huh? What did he think would happen. I apologize if I have this wrong...but I swear I heard that?

:seeya: I'm trying to catch up while on vacation in London....WS is the only reliable place for me to get updated, as I left the US while the jurors were still deliberating.

I had asked in the legal thread whether or not the jury was aware of what a hung jury would mean during this phase, but I guess my question wasn't very clear as AZ lawyer's answer didn't answer my question...totally my fault LOL.

But in visiting there today, I see she answered another question which included the info that this wasn't part of the jury instruction. I had feared this, bc IMO I could see the jurors thinking, "well if we can't agree, then the decision will be made by the judge." I'm not sure why this isn't part of the instruction, but clearly it should be, IMO.

It seems jury instructions in general are complicated, and it seems some juries would rather "err on the side of caution," when confused by their instructions. CoughCASEYANTHONYcough.

I agree with many posts here that this jury foreman let his emotion sway his thinking which is a direct contradiction to the instructions!!! What really aggrevates me about this, is how the DT manipulated their emotions, and as a result succeeded in swaying 4 jurors. The idea that JA is some sort of frail victim is a completely false concept, and this sort of success is indicative of some of the problems with "the system."

The glasses, the lowered chair, frumpy clothes, little girl hair, and lets not forget the damn finger!!! I don't understand how they could have not come back with the DP. Especially given how the DT had Nothing to refute most of the physical evidence. I also agree with the fact that if roles were reversed, Travis would have already received the DP.

There is a part of me that wanted her to have LWOP from the get go. Not bc I don't believe she doesn't deserve the DP, but I could see how when push came to shove some jurors might have difficulty actually deciding on it. Also, IMO, LWOP would effectively take JA out of the spotlight, and end this circus. the DP means lots of scrutinization, and many more chances for appeal.

It will be very interesting to see what a new jury does, and if they hang again, I have to believe JSS will give her LWOP.

*sigh*

Maybe i'm missing something.

Is the hung jury part that everyone is upset over?

Would it have been better if the verdict came back as LWOP?

Speaking for myself,

I absolutely was fine with her receiving death or life...as I believe there are positives and negatives to how each would impact Jodi's lifestyle, etc. in prison.

It is the lack of a completed verdict that just made my heart stop, and hurt horribly for the Alexander family. The thought that they couldn't leave the AZ courthouse, knowing what Jodi's fate is going to be. That they have to go through this again if they desire to do so.

I put their wishes first and will support them in their decision as to how they proceed. On a personal level, although I can't say 100% of course, I "think" if I were in their shoes, I would probably ask the prosecutors and judge to push for LWOP and throw away the key, not electing to give her any more attention in a redo of a trial (especially knowing the outcome could be life, or even hung again).

God bless them. They haven't been far from my thoughts since this happened.

P.S. The little I've read, I am VERY VERY VERY thankful they got the M1 !!!!

I wondered at first why they had only deliberated 2 hours the first time. Then I heard the foreman, he had his mind made up when he first laid eyes on her and he thought it was unfair that they had to decide. No one was going to change his opinion. The fact that 8 were against him is tribute to Juan and the soundness of the evidence requiring a death penalty.

Nancy G. I love you but quit calling it a defeat :) It's a big win for the prosecutor to get unanimous 1st degree/premed/aggravating circumstances

Sentence is just a bump in the road, it's not a defeat, its nothing? its unfinished? not concluded? delay? snow day for everyone come back later?
go shop clean house and feed your family, gather again July 2013....

but NOT a defeat.

True Dat! Bottom of the 9th... 2 men on No outs ...and Juan is up to bat.

Inertia = For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction.

If there is a penalty phase retrial, because of what this foreman has said, Jodi will overplay her hand on the abuse excuse.

I'm watching the NG weekend show. She's calling the jurors liars because some of them refused to vote the DP after being 'dp qualified' in voir dire. that's not fair, IMO. Not voting for DP just means they did not think this case deemed the DP.

Hello! People are concerned about what's coming out of the foreman's mouth.

Matt hadn't answered his phone until he was there????????????????
If her phone is dead, how the hello did she know Matt wasn't answering his phone. And yes.......until he was where? She F'd up, and she knew it. Too bad you are the only one that caught that!

This is what I heard...

"Matt hadn't answered his phone and told me it was there."
Meaning... Matt hadn't answered his phone to tell her whether her charger was at his house or not.

She might have had a tiny enough charge left to make that quick call.

edit to add link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm7feyvc2z4

MOO...and I am certainly not defending her.

What happens from here.Does anyone think Juan offers her LWOP rather then bring in a new jury?

Seems like a good idea to me. Lock her up forever and keep her away from the media.

But. First, I can't imagine the State making such an offer, and secondly, I can't imagine JA agreeing to LWOP and waiving the right to appeal. I think she wants more attention....and probably always will.

After the hung jury was announced, some jurors were crying. One appeared to mouth, "I'm sorry," to Travis Alexander's family in the courtroom gallery.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/23/jodi-arias-sentenced_n_3315338.html

I have a hard time believing that the jurors didn't know what was to happen next.
If they came in to announce they were hung and were expecting to hear what they were to do next I don't think some would have been crying.

Seems like a good idea to me. Lock her up forever and keep her away from the media.

But. First, I can't imagine the State making such an offer, and secondly, I can't imagine JA agreeing to LWOP and waiving the right to appeal. I think she wants more attention....and probably always will.

The family wants the death penalty and Juan will happy to oblige.
If the family changes their mind then that will change the sentence I would think.

They only has 2 choices (death or life). LWOP was not one of the choices.

If the verdict came back as life, it would have be up to the judge, not the jury, to decide on LWP or LWOP.

I'm not happy about the hung jury but I much rather have a hung jury than gamble on a life verdict. Maybe the the judge would have render LWOP sentence, maybe not. Too risky. Since the Alexander family want a DP verdict and are willing to have a second trial, I completely support their decision.

J No 17, an alternate is speaking out: https://twitter.com/tarakelley320

Edited to add more tweets

You don't need Twitter to read:

I asked her,"after all the lies you told,why should we believe u now?"I wanted her to know she wasn't fooling me!!

I was an alternate in this trial and I am disgusted and outraged with the interviews our "foreman" has done! He needs to stop!

definitely not happy with what is being said! Keep an eye out, there will be other jurors talking soon!!

there will be other jurors coming out and speaking, including myself! We had all agreed to wait until next week to interview!

him and I were together from day 1 of jury selections! I'm definitely disgusted and upset in the awful things he is saying!

In response to being asked why the foreman spoke out soooner:
@jdemboyz he did agree to it! We all thought it was best to just take the wknd to relax! We've been at this so long we wanted a break!

As an alt on this trial, I am very disgusted with what our "foreman" has said! Please know that we didn't all feel this way!!! #jodiarias

I was an alt in this trial and I am devastated by the outcome! I have been in touch with his sister and friends! Keep praying!

I loved Juan!! He was sooo passionate for Travis and his family! He was Travis's voice! I understood!

To Chris: @cshughes was nice meeting you today!! This picture is too funny!

I hate to say this but I think wilmott did just enough to put doubt in jurors minds!Not mine but I do think that possibly happened

Talking about the objections from the DT
oh trust me...I am right there with you! It was beyond frustrating for us to sit through!

It's so crazy how many people watched! I've been able to talk to his friends and sister and I love them all!!!

Being asked about interviews: @angel7878 I have....not surprised by them honestly! Just confirms she is a disgusting person! She will continue to bash Travis's name:/

@jdemboyz awe thank u! I asked her ALOT of questions! Idk why he broke it...maybe so he could be the first?! It's a shame really!

When asked at what point did you know she was not being truthful?
in opening statements when we heard all the stories!Then it was confirmed when she took the stand! Everything she said was a lie!

Think it was juror #18 who made some rather odd and potentially inflamatry remarks about TA, public in general and gave 1 very 1 sided opinion...I do believ that when the 8 who voted for the DP start to talk ..this will be put into perspective and most of us will understand a bit better...JMO

I really hope you are right. At this point I'm not questioning their verdict - I imagine it would be hard to decided on death or LWOP...I go back and forth on how I feel and I wasn't even on this jury.

The problem I have is the bias I am hearing from the jury foreman's remarks and the contradiction in what he is saying.They voted her guilty of an especially cruel Murder 1. Why is he talking about her being in his opinion abused, wanting her to have peace and that a judge should decided death? What!?

Just based on his interviews I imagine he would be difficult to negotiate with. I wonder why we were told nobody on the jury would talk to the media and then at 4:30 in the morning this guy starts his media blitz? I wonder how the other jurors feel about him talking and if they even knew he was going to do these interviews? If I had an opposing view, I wouldn't want someone else doing the talking for me.

I just can't get the pain and sorrow of Sam as she heard the non-verdict out of my mind. It is really haunting me this weekend. When is the peace for this family going to come? I would rather he wish peace for them first before wishing it for the murderer who killed an innocent man 3x over.

MOO

Last I checked we live in a democratic society. We don't live under an authoritarian regime. I guess some think that by labelling the majority as wanting 'blood' and 'witch-hunts' that they can silence us. Or something.

It's simplistic and reductive thinking, fallacious reasoning. It's like the convict calling those who challenge her, "haters".

Yes, it is an attempt to silence, IMO, especially when unable to find a reasoned argument. Reminds me of high school. Can also be an attempt to shame or humiliate.

In fact, isn't that what the defence team did to Travis?

I am going out on a limb here....but between the Darryl Brewer interview [Kiefer involvement], Michael Kiefer antics [various] and now Bill Z's

exposure [for lack of a better word]....I think the unanimous verdict was political. Just MY Opinion Folks.

Cutting the baby in half to get Juan Martinez.

J No 17, an alternate is speaking out: https://twitter.com/tarakelley320

You don't need Twitter to read:

Tara Kelley ‏@tarakelley320 1h

there will be other jurors coming out and speaking, including myself! We had all agreed to wait until next week to interview!

In response to being asked why the foreman spoke out soooner:
@jdemboyz he did agree to it! We all thought it was best to just take the wknd to relax! We've been at this so long we wanted a break!

As an alt on this trial, I am very disgusted with what our "foreman" has said! Please know that we didn't all feel this way!!! #jodiarias

I was an alt in this trial and I am devastated by the outcome! I have been in touch with his sister and friends! Keep praying!

I loved Juan!! He was sooo passionate for Travis and his family! He was Travis's voice! I understood!

To Chris: @cshughes was nice meeting you today!! This picture is too funny!

Well ... All you WSers called this one!

Thank you, gauntlet!

T
I had no illusions about what CKJA faces in prison once convicted of first degree murder, which made me really incredulous when she talked about her little projects in prison. How could she be in jail for almost five years and not hear talk about the "big house" and what she could be facing?

She kept repeating in her interviews that she doesn't know anything about prison. Maybe she really is living in her own bubble on this one, but I agree with the narrator who thinks that her counsel should have at least prepared her for the reality of her situation. Perhaps they and others did, and what we are hearing is life in CKJA's alternate reality. Then again, should anything this woman says be taken at face value?

Respectfully snipped and BBM'd by me.

I glommed onto this during her allocution. At that time I allowed that reality had no place in Jodiland.

But something else had also occurred to me and in light of recent events I'm inclined to give it more weight now. Considering the prison conditions in Arizona, of which I have only become recently aware, I can't imagine Jodi has been oblivious to this all along.

I'm wondering if outlining her plans for projects wasn't a tactical maneuver? The jury, being from Arizona, must be somewhat aware of the conditions at Perryville. Putting forth those plans could gain sympathy. Her defence confirmed a psychiatric disorder; the jury were ill-advised of what that entailed. They see a 'girl' standing before them, so disconnected from the reality of what a prison term in Arizona means, outlining her plans to 'do good' within this system.

Is it far-fetched to think that this may just have been another manipulation?

Its also a FACT that when the jury foreman openly SAYS its unfair that jurors should have to decide between life and death, he should NOT have been allowed on that jury. He was NOT DP qualified.

Did he actually say that? Maybe I missed that part.

I have said this over and over again, if it were a male who did this crime he would be on death row. Our society makes too many excuses for women who do the same horrible things..sometimes maybe they should find a way to conceal or hide the perps sex and then try these cases..I know they really can't but I wish they could.

Something like on "The Voice"....show who it is after they finished 'singing'....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member